gazoo

Falcons Defense Comes of Age

119 posts in this topic

As long as we continue to get the same kind of play out of our D-line, then our D will continue to ball.

That's the magic sauce we were missing and it seems to have finally been added.

Other than 1 play, I also think we were better with VB off the field and if we have the horses to only use him situationally, then we know have that missing thingz

7 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

I could watch that every week bro

I’m going to watch it again later this week! But yeah, let’s do it to another team. Haha

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

12 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

It's week two guys.

I was bummed and then I saw some things I liked. Maybe we should just kick it around the middle a bit..... you Bipolar ****s.

Read the thread, we are not talking about what you think we are talking about.

I like where their heading but it's gonna have to be a **** of alot more than 1 game to prove they can stay at this level.  When they do this for a full season or 2 then i'll believe they can be this for the long haul under Quinn if he stays around.

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Read the thread, we are not talk8mg about what you think we are talking about.

Nah I get it. I saw it. I'm just saying we got to temper expectations until they do it consistently. I don't know what this defense is right now. I've seen Jekyll and I've seen Hyde.

Flyin' In DC likes this

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

I say slow your roll.

They looked fantastic last night but let's see if they can keep it up. Colts and Titans present two different offenses. Like to see them keep stopping the run.

Still no reason to not get excited tho.

I like Brissett, but if we can slow the run and create relentless pressure like we did on Wentz, he's in for a long day, in a really bad way.

Jesus likes this

1 hour ago, Jpowers said:

Nah I get it. I saw it. I'm just saying we got to temper expectations until they do it consistently. I don't know what this defense is right now. I've seen Jekyll and I've seen Hyde.

What you saw was the Falcons were able to win an aggressive, brutal, physical  trench war with an OL that bullied us in 2017 playoffs. 

Now, DQ May come up with a different game plan on defense altogether over the next couple of games. We played a ton of man las night, we spread our DL out in alignments to prevent double teams and we attacked, attacked , attacked.  

If we back off and play mostly soft zone next week with 3 and 4 man rushes, it doesn’t mean we no longer can beat teams with bullying lines in trench warfare later on in season.

What I saw last night was a major weakness in our team finally get addressed by the right personnel up from in Bailey, Davison and Grady, and better utilization of Takk and Beasley. (As well as our OL Carpenter, Brown and McGary holding a pocket)

This weakness used to always show up in the playoffs or against weaker teams in regular season with bullying lines. We would all be furious we beat a great team week before, only to lose to a mediocre team. It was the bigger more physical lines that we always struggled with. 

5 minutes ago, TNFalcon1 said:

Davison was the missing piece of the puzzle. Him anchoring the nose and eating up double teams has really turned Grady loose.

I agree that signing was epic. He is more effective than Poe was. Davison looks to me to be just as powerful, watch him on consecutive snaps, you can’t push him around.  Bailey is similar play DE in run defense, you can’t blow him off the LOS, he’s so powerful you can’t push him around. 

This is allowing the LBs and safeties to close on ball carriers at or near the LOS completely untouched by blockers.

TNFalcon1 and sanfranfalcon like this

Oliver had a really good game. His recognition of some of the routes against him and his ability to break were impressive. That length too, man. I think he’s going to be a player 

Marco102 and gazoo like this

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

I hear you,  but don’t misunderstand what I’m saying.

I’m not predicting anything as far as defensive standings, etc

I’m saying this defense now has that dog in it we’ve not seen in years here. That’s what I’m excited about. Last night was the first time in years  I saw our defense win a Gallipoli level trench war!  

Im talking about an intangible when I say we have come of age. 

That said...we ARE THE #1 PASS DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW!

Marco102 and gazoo like this

7 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

That said...we ARE THE #1 PASS DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW!

I’m hoping our defense can continue plugging up the running game for opponents with strong DL play. That opens up the cages for the dogs to go hunting on 3rd downs and makes the game so much more fun to watch.

Our defense in 2017 was top 10 in both points allowed and yards. I see no reason it can do just as good, if not better this year.

But what it looks like to me, it is not going to get pushed around in critical game situations anymore. It might still give up plays, but not due to being bullied.

23 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

They played a fantastic game.  Might have been the best since Quinn became head coach.  

That game came down to a battle of wills. I haven’t seen that level of physical fight in a Falcons team in years. 

We've had many wins along the way, but a bloody, physical trench war....we have historically always lost these kind of games.

This is a significant sign to me. It wasn’t just the win, it was how we won. 

Spts1 likes this

11 hours ago, Jpowers said:

I completely agree. I didn't get too low after week 1 and I won't get too high for week 2. It was definitely a step in the right direction for sure. Lets see this week in and week out.

It drove me crazy all the DQ is gone, Fire TD threads so i get the Bi-Polar thing :huh:

Jpowors likes this

25 minutes ago, gazoo said:

That game came down to a battle of wills. I haven’t seen that level of physical fight in a Falcons team in years. 

We've had many wins along the way, but a bloody, physical trench war....we have historically always lost these kind of games.

This is a significant sign to me. It wasn’t just the win, it was how we won. 

Yes, they were very physical. philly receivers quit late in the game.  As you mentioned, the defensive line never has played like that under Quinn, heck, I haven't ever seen the whole line that physical before under ANY Falcon coach...

I will say this:

A very good friend of mine works with the media/press team for Falcons games. We were texting yesterday about the Eagles game. He said this game was bigger than just a win for the defense. They had this one circled as a statement game. They got caught slipping looking forward and that's what aided in the Vikings debacle. They were itching to prove they were a top unit and a force to be reckoned with and wanted to show it on primetime. They definitely did it. They are on a mission this year to prove they are a top group. He said the players said Sunday was just a taste of what they are trying to do this year. 

All of the nice talk they give the media that's record is not what they truly believe. They know they are good and determined to prove it. He's a Bears fan, so he's not one to talk smoke for the Falcons. But he said he wouldn't be surprised if the defense goes on a run here after that game. 

He also said the players hate DLed and McClure lol

Defense played great, despite the bad field position they were placed in on some of the turnovers and punts, since Bosher was playing injured. Continue to play consistently and I think we can do great things this year. I haven't been this excited about our D-Line since the days of Abraham, Kerney and Babineaux.

You also have to remember how much pressure was put upon this defense Sunday. Not only with Ryan having another terrible game with turnovers, but Bosher couldn't punt over 40 yards... Most possessions started with the Eagles on their 45 or better.  Really amazing stuff. 

I think the issues in the Vikings game when it came to run fits is really the understanding of 3-4 under and gap responsibilities.  In that game, it wasn't our D getting blown off the ball on run plays, it was simply guys were confused about their gap responsibilities. Takk had to realize that he doesn't have that WLB behind him and he is the last line of defense before the secondary.  He can't be as aggressive and must maintain contain. Same for Beasley although his run fits during the Vikings game weren't as egregious.

Davidson and Bailey played well in both games. Grady has been a  legit BEAST and worth every penny. He's continuing to ascend.

If the D continues this, Ryan would only need to limit his turnovers to win the majority of our games.  It's up to him to tighten up and I think he will.

So before the game gazoo aka “Mr Sunshine” warns it will get worse before it gets better - and now - less than a week later, the Falcons have found their identity. 

Hmmmm...

The reality is we weren’t as bad as we looked against the Vikings and we may not be as good as we looked on defense on Sunday night.

Let it play out.  Falcons have played 12.5% of the season.  Gotta see a larger sample size before making declarative statements on Falcons identity for 2019.

Just more speculation by gazoo to try and setup his famous “I told you so’s” that he lives for.

jdawg4876 and vel like this