gazoo

Falcons Defense Comes of Age

119 posts in this topic

This Falcons defense is legit, its  “Harvey Dahl” identity has arrived.

Our defense just won its first in the trenches dogfight in years.

The Falcons DL was owning the Eagles big, physical OL. These same  Eagles OL bullied us in 2017 playoffs, yet we bullied them last night. I was watching which direction the line was moving at snap, and our DL was collapsing their OL consistently. If it weren’t for the amazing Houdini Wentz magically escaping, we would have had at least 4 more sacks. We knocked him on his $#@ at least 6  times, not including all the hits he took. Not to mention the run defense is spectacular. The Eagles OL was having little success knocking our DL back off the ball when trying to run it.  We were relentless, high motor and violent. Beasley and Takk look like different players this year.  Wow we’re the signings of Davison and Bailey brilliant moves. They are allowing  Grady and our LBs to seek and destroy. Jones was frequently untouched as he came in for the closing tackle near LOS.

DQ had an excellent game plan. We played a lot of man coverage and frequently put space between our defensive linemen presnap so Philly had trouble tying them up with double teams. 

We even have these young guys making big plays. John Cominsky had a nice TD saving tackle. He was lined up out wide at DE in goalline, about 3 feet away from Davison, maintained his gap, but when RB cut inside Cominsky pulled a spin move on the OT Lane Johnson and made the tackle.  For a 6’5” 285lb player, that play demonstrated amazing athleticism. 

The coverage in passing game was tight on receivers, TEs and backs coming out of backfield. The Eagles receivers were getting vicious hits laid on them all night, it wasn’t just Neal doing the enforcement. Rico, Kazee, Campbell, Jones all delivered vicious hits.

Any Oliver, while he’s still learning, he’s also getting better each game. He fits this new physical defense well. He made the game winning tackle and it was a big deal. 

Im so excited I could explode after watching this game again. No wonder I couldn’t sleep last night. I saw what I’ve been praying for for years, a nasty, physical, tenacious, never quit defense. 

Now, add this to an offense that is about to explode and we’ve got ourselves in a position to win the division, get home field advantage in playoffs and be good enough to beat anyone, anywhere, in any way, at any time.

Stevo, Since1990, NCCooley and 18 others like this

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

I say slow your roll.

They looked fantastic last night but let's see if they can keep it up. Colts and Titans present two different offenses. Like to see them keep stopping the run.

Still no reason to not get excited tho.

I hear you, but what I’m seeing goes deeper than good play, more than just the results or stats.

There is an intangible, a grit, a new identity has been formed and it’s the thing about last nights game that kept me up all night. That was an all out dogfight last night, and for the first time in years the Falcons defense won a nasty physical trench war. 

I’m not predicting anything as far as standings, etc, I’m saying this defense now has that dog in it we’ve not seen in years here. That’s what I’m excited about.

Our offense made a ton of mistakes and couldn’t run the ball, but the defense won the game for us. Just wait until this offense gets humming, most likely over the next couple of games. 

vel, NCCooley, Jesus and 4 others like this

Let see how it goes.  The Eagles were going down with injuries which might have skewered their performance a bit and made us look good.  We should know by game 4 if we are the real deal.

gkgrimes and ltstorm2 like this

3 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

Let see how it goes.  The Eagles were going down with injuries which might have skewered their performance a bit and made us look good.  We should know by game 4 if we are the real deal.

They werent going down with injuries. WE were injuring them

56 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

I hear you,  but don’t misunderstand what I’m saying.

I’m not predicting anything as far as defensive standings, etc

I’m saying this defense now has that dog in it we’ve not seen in years here. That’s what I’m excited about. Last night was the first time in years  I saw our defense win a Gallipoli level trench war!  

Im talking about an intangible when I say we have come of age. 

thamill, Since1990, vel and 3 others like this

38 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I hear you, but what I’m seeing is more than just good play, more than just the results or stats.

There is an intangible, a grit, a new identity has been formed and it’s the thing about last nights game that kept me up all night. That was an all out dogfight last night, and for the first time in years the Falcons defense won a nasty physical trench war. 

I’m not predicting anything as far as standings, etc, I’m saying this defense now has that dog in it we’ve not seen in years here. That’s what I’m excited about.

Our offense made a ton of mistakes and couldn’t run the ball, but the defense won the game for us. Just wait until this offense gets humming, most likely over the next couple of games. 

Totally agree. Watching this defense was a feast for my eyes. You can't play tougher, grittier, more  smash-mouth, hard-nose, in-your-face defense than the Dirty Birds last night. I had no idea who was going to win the game, but I couldn't have asked for a more exciting, hard fought effort by my team on national television.

I was so proud of the whole team. Even Ice for not letting his mistakes affect his attitude and concentration. As you said, they have what it takes to match up with any team in the NFL ~ on both sides of the ball.

The promise of an epic season that seemed to disappear after that first loss is back in full bloom with this performance last night, especially of our defense. Can't wait to see how they do vs the Dolts Sunday.

9 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Totally agree. Watching this defense was a feast for my eyes. You can't play tougher, grittier, more  smash-mouth, hard-nose, in-your-face defense than the Dirty Birds last night. I had no idea who was going to win the game, but I couldn't have asked for a more exciting, hard fought game by my team on national television.

I was so proud of the whole team. Even Ice for not letting his mistakes affect his attitude and concentration. As you said, they have what it takes to match up with any team in the NFL ~ on both sides of the ball.

The promise of an epic season that seemed to disappear after that first loss is back in full bloom with this performance last night, especially of our defense. Can't wait to see how they do vs the Dolts Sunday.

Amen PokerSteve! 

It doesn’t matter if they have a bad game, they’ll be right back fighting like dogs the next game. 

This defense is channeling  the spirit of Harvey Dahl! This is what we’ve been missing all these years, but I saw it very clearly last night.

PokerSteve likes this

Just now, gazoo said:

Amen PokerSteve! 

It doesn’t matter if they have a bad game, they’ll be right back fighting like dogs the best game. 

I could have said, it’s a defense that now has the makeup of Harvey Dahl.

You want to win every single game, but you know it's just not possible. But when you have a defense that fights with that dog in them like we had last night, I swear to god that's play at a level that transcends winning and losing. It really looks like they have indeed come of age. Time to pick up some hardware this year. 

9 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

You want to win every single game, but you know it's just not possible. But when you have a defense that fights with that dog in them like we had last night, I swear to god that's play at a level that transcends winning and losing. It really looks like they have indeed come of age. Time to pick up some hardware this year. 

I had a bunch of my friends say they couldn’t sleep last night they were so fired up. They can’t put their finger on why. Neither could I until I thought about it more.

It’s not the win, it’s the way we won.

You are right that kind of play transcends winning and losing. It’s like the Harvey Dahl effect. It rubs off on everyone around them.  Harvey would get beat sometimes, but us fans absolutely LOVED him. 

I am really excited about his year. This offense will explode once running game gets its timing down and the mistakes from growing pains end. 

PokerSteve and Godzilla1985 like this

I’ll say they are legit when they stop a 4th and 14. They have consistently been giving up chunks or yardage on 4th and long since DQ has been head coach. Gotta send more than 3. They got lucky on that final stop but they have some work to do before legit status in my opinion. Off to a decent start after the week one debacle. 

cblack likes this

I agree with OP. The defense looked really good last night, very different to what we are used to seeing.

Plenty of grit and X-Factor! A combination of youth, some rookies with sheer talent, some battle tested and already played in a super bowl. The perfect storm is brewing, this season or the next.

gazoo, PokerSteve and Tim Mazetti like this

14 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Let’s string at least TWO good games together defensively before we crown ourselves lol

You obviously didn’t read the post.

Would a fan who speaks highly about Harvey Dahl be crowning  him the best OL in football, or ,is what we loved about Harvey Dahl was his grit and how it impacted his teammates ? 

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

You obviously didn’t read the post.

Would a fan who speaks highly about Harvey Dahl be crowing him, or is what we loved about Harvey Dahl was his grit and how it impacted his teammates ? 

I didn’t read it I’ll admit, I just saw a thread saying our defense has arrived 

gazoo likes this

29 minutes ago, ICUH8N said:

I’ll say they are legit when they stop a 4th and 14. They have consistently been giving up chunks or yardage on 4th and long since DQ has been head coach. Gotta send more than 3. They got lucky on that final stop but they have some work to do before legit status in my opinion. Off to a decent start after the week one debacle. 

Just like we caught them at the right moment for that julio screen, they caught us on 4th and 14 not expecting that type of throw. Guys out of position.

PokerSteve, TheFatboi and gazoo like this

3 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

I didn’t read it I’ll admit, I just saw a thread saying our defense has arrived 

It’s our identity that has arrived. It’s heart, it’s core. 

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

Just now, gazoo said:

It’s our identity that has arrived. It’s heart, it’s core. 

Well I can get behind that. I hope you’re right! I was REALLY scared ab our CB situations and they both played really well last night. Hope they keep it up! 

gazoo and PokerSteve like this

19 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Well I can get behind that. I hope you’re right! I was REALLY scared ab our CB situations and they both played really well last night. Hope they keep it up! 

I do think Oliver still has to take his lumps as he learns the nuances, but he’s making plays out there, and that game winning tackle was a lot bigger play than most realize. He’s only 210lbs and he stopped a much bigger, much stronger 250lb TE dead in his tracks. All Ertz needed was to stretch out for 1 yard, and Oliver stopped it.

Also, I watched that play where Oliver was blamed for letting receiver get by him, but that looked like Neal was supposed to pick him up. Oliver clearly stopped, he didn’t get beat by receiver, Oliver intentionally stopped, and Neal was running over that way. It was Neal that was beat.

I see this team coming completely together by mid season. Just as we start our division then playoff run. Until then we will still have some rough patches at times IMO.

PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

I do think Oliver still has to take his lumps as he learns the nuances, but he’s making plays out there, and that game winning tackle was a lot bigger play than most realize. He’s only 210lbs and he stopped a much bigger, much stronger 250lb TE dead in his tracks. All Ertz needed was to stretch out for 1 yard, and Oliver stopped it.

Also, I watched that play where Oliver was blamed for letting receiver get by him, but that looked like Neal was supposed to pick him up. Oliver clearly stopped, he didn’t get beat by receiver, Oliver stopped, and Neal was running over that way. It was Neal that was beat.

Yeah that play was on Neal. Oliver isn’t finished yet I was just worried ab him having to learn on the fly while our window is open. Also I had zero faith in Trufant ever regaining form tbh. 

gazoo likes this

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Also, I watched that play where Oliver was blamed for letting receiver get by him, but that looked like Neal was supposed to pick him up. Oliver clearly stopped, he didn’t get beat by receiver, Oliver stopped, and Neal was running over that way. It was Neal that was beat.

Yep. No way Oliver was supposed to be able to stop Ertz from just leaning forward for the first down as he got tackled. It was just a case where the smaller guy wanted it more and stopped the big dude dead in his tracks.