Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
birdz4i

Let's all appreciate Jake Matthews' game-changing block against the Eagles

19 posts in this topic

By: Andrew Joseph | September 16, 2019 5:20 pm

The Atlanta Falcons pulled off an incredible win against the Eagles on Sunday night. They jumped out to double-digit lead in the second half, blew that lead (as they so often do) and then came through to win at the end.

Atlanta’s go-ahead touchdown came on an excellent fourth-down audible by Matt Ryan, which resulted in Julio Jones going 54 yards for the score. While Ryan and Jones both deserve tons of credit for the play, we must — and I mean MUST — give props to offensive lineman Jake Matthews.

He delivered the crushing block on Avonte Maddox that broke Jones loose for the touchdown.

As far as blocks go, it doesn’t get much better than that from Matthews.

The Pro Bowler used all 304 pounds of his weight to completely take Maddox out of the play.

I can’t imagine what Maddox thought when he saw Matthews barreling towards him, but he had to know it wasn’t going to end well.

The end result was a 24-20 Falcons win, and an early candidate of block of the year.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/jake-matthews-falcons-eagles-block-touchdown-video-julio-jones

can he get a little love?

Man my wife and I were watching the game in Disney world yesterday in the lounging area and there were a lot of Eagles fans there watching with us. The one Eagle fan told me he had Julio and Freeman in his fantasy. Long story short, when Jake laid the Eagles defender out the whole bar went crazy. The one Eagle fan that had Julio in his fantasy was cheering. That might have been worse than the hit he put on Norman!

1 minute ago, FalconinPA said:

Man my wife and I were watching the game in Disney world yesterday in the lounging area and there were a lot of Eagles fans there watching with us. The one Eagle fan told me he had Julio and Freeman in his fantasy. Long story short, when Jake laid the Eagles defender out the whole bar went crazy. The one Eagle fan that had Julio in his fantasy was cheering. That might have been worse than the hit he put on Norman!

Fantasy football really is the best lol

32 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

#ThingsYouJustifyOnceYouGetARing ???

:shrug:

Tim Mazetti likes this

He struggled some early but picked it up as the game went on. That block will be a fun one to watch during film review with the team.

Mathew's pancake block was awesome but it was set up by Sanu's pass route fake to push back and delay the defender for the block -Great teamwork on the O to spring  @11 into the open field.

gazoo and Tim Mazetti like this

Matt Ryan saw the coverage presnap. You saw him light up like a Christmas tree when he recognized it. He started screaming and clapping and knew exactly where he was going with that ball.

It was executed to perfection as well. Keotter deserves some credit there, that was a play they had stashed for the right time. That shovel pass to Freeman was another beauty that offset the pressure.

LG Carpenter (#77) blocked two defenders on that play as well!

4 hours ago, birdz4i said:

By: Andrew Joseph | September 16, 2019 5:20 pm

The Atlanta Falcons pulled off an incredible win against the Eagles on Sunday night. They jumped out to double-digit lead in the second half, blew that lead (as they so often do) and then came through to win at the end.

Atlanta’s go-ahead touchdown came on an excellent fourth-down audible by Matt Ryan, which resulted in Julio Jones going 54 yards for the score. While Ryan and Jones both deserve tons of credit for the play, we must — and I mean MUST — give props to offensive lineman Jake Matthews.

He delivered the crushing block on Avonte Maddox that broke Jones loose for the touchdown.

As far as blocks go, it doesn’t get much better than that from Matthews.

The Pro Bowler used all 304 pounds of his weight to completely take Maddox out of the play.

I can’t imagine what Maddox thought when he saw Matthews barreling towards him, but he had to know it wasn’t going to end well.

The end result was a 24-20 Falcons win, and an early candidate of block of the year.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/jake-matthews-falcons-eagles-block-touchdown-video-julio-jones

can he get a little love?

The Atlanta IHOP ought to come out with a new Avonte Maddox Pancake. That dude was flat!!! Just needed a little bit of butter and syrup...and a spoon. I don't think a fork will hold that pancake together.

4 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

This is completely beside the point, but exactly where were you at Disney World when you watched the game? I'm always trying to find the best spots to catch a game without fighting the crowd.

Tim Mazetti likes this

17 hours ago, jidady said:

This is completely beside the point, but exactly where were you at Disney World when you watched the game? I'm always trying to find the best spots to catch a game without fighting the crowd.

Polynesian resort 

jidady and Geneaut like this

Complete destruction there. Ive watched the replay way too many times :lol: Boy, how one guy can be highly criticized one week and hailed the next. Gotta love it

4 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

Polynesian resort 

Good man. That's my favorite. Were you in the lounge by Ohana? I've watched a few hockey games there, but I'm rarely at Disney during football season.