PeytonMannings Forehead

xs and os
Let's Talk About: The Importance Of An Eraser (RICO!!!)

54 posts in this topic

He may not be the fastest saftey, but he is a smart safety.  People have been talking about upgrading him for a few years now, but he seems perfectly fit for this defense from what I've seen lately.  Had a few great plays last night, his best 2, you're showing above.

Edited by falconut1991

Here's where I was wrong about Rico.  I've always said about him that you can't coach speed.

You also can't coach what he has.  I mean, you can coach it easier than you can speed, but you can either process information on the fly or you can't.  That's why guys with great arms and fast legs wash out of the NFL.  Especially at QB.  How far you can throw it doesn't matter much if you take too long to get it there.

Yep. Everybody wants an ET. It makes sense. But if ET is the gold standard, Rico is a close silver my friends. He knows what to do and where to be. That hit on Agholor was perfect because he knew what was coming but didn't overplay his hand. He forced Wentz to throw it, but him telling Sheffield to widen and forced Agholor inside of him is the small thing that fans take for granted. Forcing Agholor inside of Sheffield puts that seam squarely in Rico's range. Understanding your limitations and the scheme's limitations and you can be great. 

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Rico knows every player responsibilities in that defense. He can get all of them lined up correctly. 

I mean it was really cool seeing him communicate to guys where they need to lineup or there responsibility.  I mean he’s definitely proved to be a damm good eraser!!

Falcons got a legit coverage sack yesterday. Most of the so called coverage sacks they've gotten past few years were simply the QB being indecisive and holding the ball or the QB trying for the big play.

Vic's sack was a coverage sack because Wennz didn't have anyone to throw to. I'm assuming that's in large part to Rico lining everybody up.

Just wanted add this little thought, too.  One of the virtues of keeping your package limited and letting players fly around are plays like this.  Yes we run a lot of Cover-3.  Yes, the offense knows where we're gonna be.

But the flip side of that, is we know what beats Cover-3, so we know where you're gonna be too, and when we know that, and where we're weak at, well now we can start going beyond the design of the defense.  Two different series and you see how the Eagles went to the same concept of attacking those seams.

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

Falcons got a legit coverage sack yesterday. Most of the so called coverage sacks they've gotten past few years were simply the QB being indecisive and holding the ball or the QB trying for the big play.

Vic's sack was a coverage sack because Wennz didn't have anyone to throw to. I'm assuming that's in large part to Rico lining everybody up.

I think Grady's sack was as well.

I thought we got an overall solid performance from the secondary and  "General" Rico has a lot to do with it.

papachaz, Ergo Proxy and falconidae like this

One of my favorite players. Really enjoyed following him when we were on hard knocks. When I get a 2nd jersey, it will be Rico.

People like to hate on Collinsworth but he does his homework and knows his stuff. He is one of the few commentators that I actually learn stuff from.

Ergo Proxy likes this

4 hours ago, vel said:

Yep. Everybody wants an ET. It makes sense. But if ET is the gold standard, Rico is a close silver my friends. He knows what to do and where to be. That hit on Agholor was perfect because he knew what was coming but didn't overplay his hand. He forced Wentz to throw it, but him telling Sheffield to widen and forced Agholor inside of him is the small thing that fans take for granted. Forcing Agholor inside of Sheffield puts that seam squarely in Rico's range. Understanding your limitations and the scheme's limitations and you can be great. 

Rico is without question the best value contract (not counting rookie contracts) on the team.  Amongst the best in NFL.

Davison also has claim to that title.  $795,000 is borderline inappropriate