DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins

Kazee’s play last night

43 posts in this topic

Kazee was by no means horrible last night. But he wasn’t exactly balling out as much as I expected/hoped.

I saw him give a lot of cushion, give  up a lot of completions, and just not look as awesome as expected.

wonder if he needs time to adjust to the nickle corner role.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

Defense as a whole was rock solid until we started that bull crap prevent defense Quinn loves so much.

almost cost us the game too. I don’t understand why any coach would ever coach his team to let up and play safe/scared when that is t what put them ahead in the first place.

Just now, Smiler11 said:

He's playing a new position - it was never going to be a seamless transition

He's not. He's playing his original position. He was drafted to play Nickle. He ended up at Safety due to injuries.

I caught flack for saying that Kazee was overrated. Sure, he got INTs last year, but honestly, he was garbage. The picks covered up a lot of flaws...

6 minutes ago, Bridgeburner said:

Defense as a whole was rock solid until we started that bull crap prevent defense Quinn loves so much.

almost cost us the game too. I don’t understand why any coach would ever coach his team to let up and play safe/scared when that is t what put them ahead in the first place.

wish we could get an answer on this.. beating the sticks isn't hard..

I dont know if its here to stay but the defense held the Eagles to less than 3 yards per carry and held the passing game to less than 5.5 yards per attempt. 

That was a very good defensive performance. If we get there every week by giving up lots of cushion or whatever, I'm totally fine with it. 

32 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

He's not. He's playing his original position. He was drafted to play Nickle. He ended up at Safety due to injuries.

I caught flack for saying that Kazee was overrated. Sure, he got INTs last year, but honestly, he was garbage. The picks covered up a lot of flaws...

Garbage? Overated maybe (people love turnovers) but not garbage.

Was he drafted to play nickel? I know he played nickel in college but his first 2 years in the league he's been the backup FS. Regardless it's a transition from where he was comfortable last year.

Geneaut likes this

38 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

False, Kazee was playing safety before anyone got hurt.

mtldirtybird likes this

35 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont know if its here to stay but the defense held the Eagles to less than 3 yards per carry and held the passing game to less than 5.5 yards per attempt. 

That was a very good defensive performance. If we get there every week by giving up lots of cushion or whatever, I'm totally fine with it. 

Agreed.   That is about as good as you can hope against a good team.  Sure, it can always be better but a good enough effort to win most games if our offense is playing well.

vel, Geneaut and PokerSteve like this

53 minutes ago, virus said:

wish we could get an answer on this.. beating the sticks isn't hard..

Neal came up to stop the short completion and the ball was sailing over his head.

1 hour ago, cwell1 said:

Kazee was a CB in College and Drafted specifically to compete with Poole... Quinn wanted him to play Nickle and back-up at Safety...

When Kazee joined the Falcons, the coaches had plans to play him at both nickel back and free safety after he played primarily outside at right cornerback in college.

Ovie_Lover likes this

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

Was he drafted to play nickel? I know he played nickel in college but his first 2 years in the league he's been the backup FS. Regardless it's a transition from where he was comfortable last year.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/28248/damontae-kazee-still-rates-himself-as-average-despite-hot-start

He was drafted to compete with Poole and to add depth at Safety. He was a CB in college.

Watch the games last year and you'll see his missed tackles, blown coverage, and him just getting ran over. Now, it wasn't *all* his fault, some was scheme.

2 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

That’s like saying rico could seamlessly play nickel. Guy was drafted to play nickel but is a much better fs.

same might be true for kazee. 

He played fine. He wasn't "making plays" per se, but he wasn't giving up much. I know you're probably thinking about that one pass to Agholor that seemed pretty wide open, but they sent a heavy blitz with no safety help. He played it correctly. He was fine. 

1 hour ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

That’s like saying rico could seamlessly play nickel. Guy was drafted to play nickel but is a much better fs.

I didn't say that at all. The poster I commented on said that he was moving to a new position, Nickel. I simply stated that wasn't true. Kazee has played Nickle, and was actually drafted to do just that...

And lets not compare Rico to Kazee. Rico is by far a better player than Kazee. Not safety, player. I still get a kick out of all you that suggested we should keep Kazee ahead of Rico at FS...

3 hours ago, cwell1 said:

3 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

He played nickel and safety. He was getting nickel snaps last year before the injury to Rico.

1 hour ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Rico has and can tbh. He played nickel a few years ago for a game or two and was awesome.

NeonDeion likes this

12 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

I didn't say that at all. The poster I commented on said that he was moving to a new position, Nickel. I simply stated that wasn't true. Kazee has played Nickle, and was actually drafted to do just that...

And lets not compare Rico to Kazee. Rico is by far a better player than Kazee. Not safety, player. I still get a kick out of all you that suggested we should keep Kazee ahead of Rico at FS...

Rico didn’t even make the team his first year. He developed. I’m all for Rico being our safety. I’m simply saying playing safety and nickel are completely different. I used Rico as an example.

tomatoe tomatoe