Flyin' In DC

Brees torn ligament

84 posts in this topic

I surely cannot stand to see another person fall due to injury but this is all part of the football business. And unless it's a very small tear, Brees missing six weeks is a very optimistic outlook for such an injury; especially when you consider that he's using that hand on every play he's on the field.

And looking at the six teams they face, I can see them dropping anywhere from 3-5 games if they don't get better protection for Bridgewater. Without Brees, the likelihood of them hanging 30+ from the time they leave the locker room goes down considerably, which helped their defense more than most of their fans would care to admit. Now they can't afford to pin their ears and chase after the quarterback with reckless abandon because they can no longer bank on Brees to bail them out (again) after they blow another coverage downfield (see Texans' game).

That being said, the Falcons have their own bit of business to take care of. To the Colts, I say...

rounz likes this

21 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Right, because that Falcons win last night wasn't impressive at all.

Falcons have 3 new Olinemen this year, you give them time to gel and the offense will be deadly.

I mean I didn’t say it wasn’t an impressive win. I believed going into the season it would be between NO and ATL for the division. Matt Ryan has been extremely turnover prone so far and that was very close to a loss with Wentz throwing to great value brand receivers. It’s a good win, a crucial win, but not something to where I believe Atlanta is running away with the division. Again, it’s wide open. I don’t see that as some unfair or homer assessment looking at the division. Atlanta should be the favorite for the division as of now with the schedule NO has til Brees returns. 

More than ANY other team in the NFL, The Saints are dependent on their QB.   Obviously if Matt gets hurt, Falcons are in trouble, if Rodgers gets hurt, Packers are in trouble, etc, etc.

However, Brees mastery makes Michael Thomas better, makes Kamara better, etc.   You saw just how bad that offense was the rest of the game vs Rams when Brees gone.    Bridgewater will likely get a little better but he's not good.

It will be difficult for Saints to beat almost any NFL team w/o Brees - he just matters so much to them.   I would favor the BUCS over Saints right now - no question.   Teams will focus even more to take away Kamara and they will be sooo much easier to defend.

As to Brees injury - who knows if he will be fully recovered by 6 weeks?  I wouldn't bet it either way - you know Brees is a warrior and do everything he can rehab wise to get better - know this though - the QB's right thumb is probable the most important body part he has - you cannot grip and hold the ball to drive it without a working 100% (or close to) thumb.   Maybe the right shoulder is slightly more important - but a QB might do better w/ two broken fingers than a thumb.    Without a thumb, you have the grip of a dog or a horse.

TheJudge and ratesforless like this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

I think he goes on IR and they decide to bring him back after 8 weeks if they're still in the playoff race. Otherwise, they let him heel rest of year and get a high draft pick.

Heel rest of the year? Freudian slip.:lol:

yeah? well if he could, he'd thumb his nose at you for that one

:lol:

I wouldn't carve that in stone by any stretch. The average person has a recovery time around 6 weeks. However, this is an NFL QB and it's his throwing hand. I wouldn't be even mildly surprised if he's eventually sent to IR for the season. 

Honestly, if it was a 40 yr old Matt, I'd do just that, especially if I have a losing record at that time. It's a perfect opportunity to get a high draft pick to land a future QB. 

All in all, I hope he recovers and has no ill effects in his future life, but I sincerely couldn't care less if he never throws a football in the NFL again. 

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

More than ANY other team in the NFL, The Saints are dependent on their QB.   Obviously if Matt gets hurt, Falcons are in trouble, if Rodgers gets hurt, Packers are in trouble, etc, etc.

However, Brees mastery makes Michael Thomas better, makes Kamara better, etc.   You saw just how bad that offense was the rest of the game vs Rams when Brees gone.    Bridgewater will likely get a little better but he's not good.

It will be difficult for Saints to beat almost any NFL team w/o Brees - he just matters so much to them.   I would favor the BUCS over Saints right now - no question.   Teams will focus even more to take away Kamara and they will be sooo much easier to defend.

As to Brees injury - who knows if he will be fully recovered by 6 weeks?  I wouldn't bet it either way - you know Brees is a warrior and do everything he can rehab wise to get better - know this though - the QB's right thumb is probable the most important body part he has - you cannot grip and hold the ball to drive it without a working 100% (or close to) thumb.   Maybe the right shoulder is slightly more important - but a QB might do better w/ two broken fingers than a thumb.    Without a thumb, you have the grip of a dog or a horse.

I basically said the same thing earlier on this thread. Being able to count on Brees to bail them out of a jam is what made the Saints such a dangerous foe to begin with. It wasn't their defense that had opposing teams up at night; it was Brees hanging 30+ points up and being able to make even marginal players look like Pro Bowlers while he was doing it. Teams will absolutely stack the box, bracket Thomas, and double-dog dare Bridgewater to beat them over the top while sending the house. They can't even use the versatility of Taysom Hill because he's now the backup; the last thing they can afford now is for him to get hurt.

Oh well, not our problem... 

g-dawg likes this

5 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

I think teddy is capable of winning them games 

Teddy is trash. He was trash in Minnesota he will need the running game to flourish in order for him to win and teams know this. Kamara gonna see a lot of stacked boxes. 

TheJudge and g-dawg like this

25 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Brees didn’t look great either in first game.

He's rapidly been losing his ability to throw downfield, even at full strength. 

Cowherd discussing Brees' absence just showed some stats since the middle of last season, and the Saints are in the bottom third of most major offensive categories.  I knew their production had suffered since Thanksgiving, but had no idea they were this lousy.  Like 22nd in ppg.  

Just now, octoslash said:

He's rapidly been losing his ability to throw downfield, even at full strength. 

Cowherd discussing Brees' absence just showed some stats since the middle of last season, and the Saints are in the bottom third of most major offensive categories.  I knew their production had suffered since Thanksgiving, but had no idea they were this lousy.  Like 22nd in ppg.  

No doubt. He rarely attempted passes over 15 yards end of last season and in the opener. I think he had like one over 16 yards in week 1.

4 minutes ago, shockerfalcon said:

Teddy is trash. He was trash in Minnesota he will need the running game to flourish in order for him to win and teams know this. Kamara gonna see a lot of stacked boxes. 

Vicodin will have some plays dialed up for teddy. Aints have been a Defensive and running team for last two season. I consider those short dump offs to Thomas and Kamara as extension to run game.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Vicodin will have some plays dialed up for teddy. Aints have been a Defensive and running team for last two season. I consider those short dump offs to Thomas and Kamara as extension to run game.

That defense can be decent, but they haven’t looked that good the first two weeks. They’re not even close to the 2015 Vikings level of defense Teddy had when he miraculously made a pro bowl throwing less than a TD per game. If Kamara isn’t making multiple game breaking plays a game, saints are gonna be taking a lot of Ls.

6 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

That defense can be decent, but they haven’t looked that good the first two weeks. They’re not even close to the 2015 Vikings level of defense Teddy had when he miraculously made a pro bowl throwing less than a TD per game. If Kamara isn’t making multiple game breaking plays a game, saints are gonna be taking a lot of Ls.

Their defense takes time to get in groove. Anyways Vicodin now knows Brees is out, I won’t look past him. He will come up with crazy stuff. Will it be enough, we will see.

Unless put on the IR, he will be back in time for our game.

During that game we will get called for about 15 penalties and the Saints will be called for 2.

Ours will be big as well. I fully expect at least one of those enigmatic "well my clear and obvious is different from your clear and obvious" PI challenges to go against us in a big way.

I'm  not a big conspiracy guy, but you know the league would love the narrative of Brees the savior showing up just in time to salvage the season with a heroic performance while not 100% against the Falcons.

ratesforless likes this

1 minute ago, TheUsualStuff said:

During that game we will get called for about 15 penalties and the Saints will be called for 2.

Ours will be big as well. I fully expect at least one of those enigmatic "well my clear and obvious is different from your clear and obvious" PI challenges to go against us in a big way.

I'm  not a big conspiracy guy, but you know the league would love the narrative of Brees the savior showing up just in time to salvage the season with a heroic performance while not 100% against the Falcons.

You sure about that?  lol

TheUsualStuff and thanat0s like this

https://saintsreport.com/threads/nfc-south-schedules-prior-to-11-10-atlanta-game.414275/

^^^Saints report forum thread.

You know Taints fanbase worried.  They have already started a thread analyzing the NFCS schedules for all four teams in division.  They have decided if they can just win 2/6 they will win the division.

Hoping for a Brees-Jesus miracle!