jdawg4876

thoughts on dirk and the offense as a whole

112 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Koetter has never been a run heavy guy.  We were up for most of the game and still elected to pass over 80% of the time.  Without balance our offense will continue to look disjointed and Matt will continue to have multi-interception games.  

Keotter doesn’t have a lot of pre snap movement.  Though it gives Matt the freedom to audible, the route concepts are both basic and long developing.  This was exactly our issues when he was here the first time.  There has to be an evolution in philosophy.  

We can’t continue to say our line isn’t good enough to run block, or that we kept getting behind early in downs.  As an offensive coordinator it is your job to figure it out and fix it.  Eagles lost half of their roster last night and were still able to adjust on the fly, whereas we were grasping at threads to just to hang on in a game that we dominated for 3 quarters.  The script is too familiar.  A lot of it is Matt for turning the ball over, but a TON of it is from lack of offensive balance and not being able to drain the clock out because we think a 4 yard gain on a run play is deplorable.

What’s even more hilarious is that it took our QB to audible into the game winning TD rather than our OC adjusting his gameplan to account for the pressure.

Koetter was hired based on Matt’s familiarity with the system, however the same issues we had with the system in previous years are the same issues that we are seeing once again.  They’re also the same issues that Tampa had while Koetter was head coach.  He’s got to adjust ASAP.  

Matt and Julio said Dirk installed that audible before they went out. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Matt and Julio said Dirk installed that audible before they went out. 

I said that in that 2nd paragraph.  Dirk’s system allows Matt to audible.  That’s not my problem with it.

4 hours ago, Jesus said:

The colts have given up 123 and 125 yards rushing in their games. There is a place to attack them there.

Freeman needs to be more confident in himself when he runs.

Wonder if that means Ollison will be active 

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Absolutely.  I don't think we're going to see 5 INTs every 2 games, but I sure do think we'll see his INT totals go above 7, which is what he had last season.

I prefer the other way, but it's just different ways to skin a cat.  I like Koetter's philosophy in the main, but honestly, if SF ever fires Shanahan, we ought to consider making him the head coach just to get him working with the offense again. He's that good.

I like Shanahan a lot, and would not be against this, BUT......

We finally have a potentially dominant D.  Growing pains in the first year on O, just as we had with Shanahan.

Lets give our team a chance to improve on O.  Too early to be thinking about replacing Quinn/Koetter.  

19 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

ha ha ha yeah right lol

Well, when Matt can audible more freely out of runs into passes, it's gonna be hard to find the balance in a game their secondary is so bad and our run game was hit or miss early after the 1st drive ended.

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Think of the ones that we didn't hit.  We had 3 receivers in open space yesterday, IIRC, Hardy, Julio and Ridley.  All three were near misses.  Any one of those would have scored if we'd hit them.

The reality is the offense isn't clicking.  Give it some time.  

While you do, watch this and remember this was not a good football team:

Thanks for the video to use as reference. I hope Dirk gets Matt confident enough to try those back shoulder throws in the end zone like I saw in the highlights from Fitzpatrick and Winston.  Also I don't mind good interceptions jdaveg. Interceptions are never good overall but if it's to a Julio sanu or Ridley going deep like yesterday, please take the shot. Even though Matt didn't connect with hardy and Julio in some of those attempts, I like that he took them. Just don't under throw it to the extent your receivers can't bail you out. I hope to see more of them from Matt as the season continues. 

JDaveG likes this

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

No doubt.  If Dirk ran his offense the way he likes to run it, it's a lot like Mike Martz's offense.  Both ways work for sure.

It's also a lot like what Peyton Manning always ran before he went to Denver and Kubiak came along.

I loved watching Martz offense with kurt, isaac Bruce, Tory holt az-hakim and Marshall Faulk. It was a beauty but I also remembered kurt getting clobbered often because the routes took a minute to execute. 

Now that I think about it, I would say Matt has a slightly stronger arm than kurt but kurt loved airing it out so his guys can make thre play for him and demoralize defenses. 

Godzilla1985 and JDaveG like this

8 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

I loved watching Martz offense with kurt, isaac Bruce, Tory holt az-hakim and Marshall Faulk. It was a beauty but I also remembered kurt getting clobbered often because the routes took a minute to execute. 

Now that I think about it, I would say Matt has a slightly stronger arm than kurt but kurt loved airing it out so his guys can make thre play for him and demoralize defenses. 

There was a video on the fall of the Greatest Show On Turd I watched a few nights ago. Highlighted how Warner then Bolger(?) we’re constantly injured because of those long developing  routes

Edited by Godzilla1985
ShadyRef likes this

Just now, Godzilla1985 said:

There was a video on the fall of the Greatest Show On Turd I watched a few nights ago. Highlighted how Warner then Bolger(?) we’re constantly injured because of those long routes

:lol::lol: