jdawg4876

thoughts on dirk and the offense as a whole

112 posts in this topic

Just now, Outmyfalconmind said:

That’s true. Hopefully he’s just battling nerves on staying healthy and it isn’t a permanent problem. I’m a huge freeman homer. But you’re right. 

like I said that shovel pass showed he still has a 2nd gear, it is when he got to make jump cuts that he hesitates, and doesnt trust his body. 

52 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

yes and no on the redzone int I rather have ran the ball and kicked the field goal to play the clock, but thats why im no HC I guess

FWIW, he did have Stocker wide open. If he hits Stocker, we at least get a first down, and maybe a TD if Stocker can make a play, but I do feel your concern in the red zone. It was the Eagles though, and I think Kaleb was still out, so maybe we felt safer just throwing it and making something happen in the air.

jdawg4876 likes this

1 minute ago, jdawg4876 said:

like I said that shovel pass showed he still has a 2nd gear, it is when he got to make jump cuts that he hesitates, and doesnt trust his body. 

Good observation. That’s true. 

jdawg4876 likes this

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

FWIW, he did have Stocker wide open. If he hits Stocker, we at least get a first down, and maybe a TD if Stocker can make a play, but I do feel your concern in the red zone. It was the Eagles though, and I think Kaleb was still out, so maybe we felt safer just throwing it and making something happen in the air.

thats more to me on dirk and dq our defense was playing lights out and I rather play smitty ball there and maybe kick a fg and go up by 2 scores if my mind serves me correctly

Geaux_Falcons likes this

Just now, Outmyfalconmind said:

Good observation. That’s true. 

yeah that shovel pass showed a lot, he hit 2nd gear and split the defense so he still has it I think but doesnt trust his body to do sudden change of direction

Outmyfalconmind likes this

Just now, jdawg4876 said:

thats more to me on dirk and dq our defense was playing lights out and I rather play smitty ball there and maybe kick a fg and go up by 2 scores if my mind serves me correctly

True. History shows these games have always been faily close and tough, so every point matters. No argument there.

jdawg4876 likes this

Just now, Geaux_Falcons said:

True. History shows these games have always been faily close and tough, so every point matters. No argument there.

And the fact that we lost this type of game last year to the Eagles speaks volumes to our improvement this year in finishing the game and our defense actually making a stop when we needed one (Even though stopping them on 4th and 14 would've been much nicer to my now chewed down fingernails)

duckhoa and Geaux_Falcons like this

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

dont get me wrong I dont want to go completely back to small smitty ball. I had no problem with those three deep shots aka 2 to ridley and one to hardy, but smart play is good too

Geaux_Falcons likes this

Just now, emc008 said:

And the fact that we lost this type of game last year to the Eagles speaks volumes to our improvement this year in finishing the game and our defense actually making a stop when we needed one (Even though stopping them on 4th and 14 would've been much nicer to my now chewed down fingernails)

That **** 4th & 14 just crushed me. I just knew we would stop them short the way the defense was playing at that moment.

I think DK has a good offense. However, I think it is taking time for certain players to pick it up and be effective in it. I saw several nice plays last night that got called at critical points in the game. 

I just think Koetter needs to work on his run designs. Get with Murarkey and design some runs between the tackles. All of these tosses and stretch runs were driving me mad.

I wonder if Ryan can check to a quick slant or something similar when an obvious blitz is coming. I did not see this last night. Other than that the play calling was ok. 

1 minute ago, gHost83 said:

I just think Koetter needs to work on his run designs. Get with Murarkey and design some runs between the tackles. All of these tosses and stretch runs were driving me mad.

I wonder if Ryan can check to a quick slant or something similar when an obvious blitz is coming. I did not see this last night. Other than that the play calling was ok. 

outside zone is what was working last night, for the most part up the gut was not

1 minute ago, jdawg4876 said:

outside zone is what was working last night, for the most part up the gut was not

What about the outside zone was working exactly?

1 minute ago, gHost83 said:

What about the outside zone was working exactly?

go back and watch the first drive, that is where we ran the most, we only ran the ball 15 times all night. he was picking up nice clips going left of matthews

26 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

see this is where I disagree we ran the ball 15 times and the first 3 to four runs for freeman were good gains and he had one or two more ito smith had 2 good runs so thats 8 outta 15 which is a small sample size. the problem was the losses were far too much, it wasnt 2nd and 11 it was 2nd and 16.

Pass protection was good for the most part except blitz pick ups from both rbs.

Yep. I was fine with a short gains. The ones that had them in 2nd/3rd and 15 type situations were not gonna cut it. 

jdawg4876 and Ergo Proxy like this

I actually think this game could have been predicted.  I'm upset at a few things that haven't been discussed.

The interceptions by Matt were bad plays on his part for sure, but there is something to say about the transition back to Dirk and his style of offense.  I think in years past, Matt doesn't even try and throw the ball in those situations, but I believe he has gotten more aggressive as he has gotten older and played with more OC's.  I really believe, as bad as two of those INT's were, that in two or three more games they won't be happening.  Matt will get a better feel for the routes in Dirk's route tree and how the receivers will run them and how defenses will attack them and attempt to re-route the receivers.

The running game is a bit disturbing, but again if you look at the defense we played and the newness of the Oline, I think we will be okay in about two more games.  Dirk definitely knows how to run the O and I think it is growing pains right now.

What concerns me, is the fact that we did not attack the Eagles defense with more deep balls and screens than what we were running.  It was obvious about half way through the first quarter that the Eagles were going to send everything.  I know we did attack deep on at least three passes and it looked like we were attempting to on about a half dozen more. But what I find concerning is the lack of moving the pocket and giving Ryan the ability to bootleg, especially to his right.  In 2016, Shanahan laid the blue print of how to pick apart good blitzing defenses against Ryan and that was to roll him out and let him take shots down the field.  Combine that with more screens and we would have scored 40 on the Eagles (assuming no more over thrown balls to WR and no more INTs). 

All things being equal, if we played this game in December, we would have scored at least two more TD's and maybe more.

mqg96, Rhodaric and jdawg4876 like this

3 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I actually think this game could have been predicted.  I'm upset at a few things that haven't been discussed.

The interceptions by Matt were bad plays on his part for sure, but there is something to say about the transition back to Dirk and his style of offense.  I think in years past, Matt doesn't even try and throw the ball in those situations, but I believe he has gotten more aggressive as he has gotten older and played with more OC's.  I really believe, as bad as two of those INT's were, that in two or three more games they won't be happening.  Matt will get a better feel for the routes in Dirk's route tree and how the receivers will run them and how defenses will attack them and attempt to re-route the receivers.

The running game is a bit disturbing, but again if you look at the defense we played and the newness of the Oline, I think we will be okay in about two more games.  Dirk definitely knows how to run the O and I think it is growing pains right now.

What concerns me, is the fact that we did not attack the Eagles defense with more deep balls and screens than what we were running.  It was obvious about half way through the first quarter that the Eagles were going to send everything.  I know we did attack deep on at least three passes and it looked like we were attempting to on about a half dozen more. But what I find concerning is the lack of moving the pocket and giving Ryan the ability to bootleg, especially to his right.  In 2016, Shanahan laid the blue print of how to pick apart good blitzing defenses against Ryan and that was to roll him out and let him take shots down the field.  Combine that with more screens and we would have scored 40 on the Eagles (assuming no more over thrown balls to WR and no more INTs). 

All things being equal, if we played this game in December, we would have scored at least two more TD's and maybe more.

great pt about moving the pocket and changing the launch pt

I think it's just natural growing pains. They just have to get used to each other again. I am pleased with the effort from our O-line last night. I think Matt was only sacked once last night! Eagles D-Line is stout and we stood up to the challenge. I'm here for it all the good and the bad! Keep rising baby! #RISEUP

Koetter has never been a run heavy guy.  We were up for most of the game and still elected to pass over 80% of the time.  Without balance our offense will continue to look disjointed and Matt will continue to have multi-interception games.  

Keotter doesn’t have a lot of pre snap movement.  Though it gives Matt the freedom to audible, the route concepts are both basic and long developing.  This was exactly our issues when he was here the first time.  There has to be an evolution in philosophy.  

We can’t continue to say our line isn’t good enough to run block, or that we kept getting behind early in downs.  As an offensive coordinator it is your job to figure it out and fix it.  Eagles lost half of their roster last night and were still able to adjust on the fly, whereas we were grasping at threads to just to hang on in a game that we dominated for 3 quarters.  The script is too familiar.  A lot of it is Matt for turning the ball over, but a TON of it is from lack of offensive balance and not being able to drain the clock out because we think a 4 yard gain on a run play is deplorable.

What’s even more hilarious is that it took our QB to audible into the game winning TD rather than our OC adjusting his gameplan to account for the pressure.

Koetter was hired based on Matt’s familiarity with the system, however the same issues we had with the system in previous years are the same issues that we are seeing once again.  They’re also the same issues that Tampa had while Koetter was head coach.  He’s got to adjust ASAP.  

mqg96 likes this

Probably too early in the season to draw conclusions about  Koetter's play calling

Against the Vikings we got down so early we were forced to pass maybe more than we wanted, and the Eagles have a very strong front 7.  The Eagles are currently the #3 rushing defense averaging 2.8 yds/carry and 85 yds/game.

vel likes this

this was the first time in a long time that i felt like our OC outsmarted the DC from the other team. I had more of an issue with some of the defensive coverage calls (or maybe execution, you never know).

16 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

The eagles strength of the their defense is right up the middle - DT, MLB, S. Dirk was going away from that. May them run (they dont have the fastest linebackers). Make their CBs tackle (which is a problem the eagles have). Spread them out to get favorable match ups. I think it was a sound game plan. 

The eagle's defense is top 5 in the league. I think barring some miscues and a bad pick by Matt. We actually handled them pretty well. We should of scored about 30 on them which is what we should be doing on anybody.

vel likes this

21 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Koetter has never been a run heavy guy.  We were up for most of the game and still elected to pass over 80% of the time.  Without balance our offense will continue to look disjointed and Matt will continue to have multi-interception games.  

Keotter doesn’t have a lot of pre snap movement.  Though it gives Matt the freedom to audible, the route concepts are both basic and long developing.  This was exactly our issues when he was here the first time.  There has to be an evolution in philosophy.  

We can’t continue to say our line isn’t good enough to run block, or that we kept getting behind early in downs.  As an offensive coordinator it is your job to figure it out and fix it.  Eagles lost half of their roster last night and were still able to adjust on the fly, whereas we were grasping at threads to just to hang on in a game that we dominated for 3 quarters.  The script is too familiar.  A lot of it is Matt for turning the ball over, but a TON of it is from lack of offensive balance and not being able to drain the clock out because we think a 4 yard gain on a run play is deplorable.

What’s even more hilarious is that it took our QB to audible into the game winning TD rather than our OC adjusting his gameplan to account for the pressure.

Koetter was hired based on Matt’s familiarity with the system, however the same issues we had with the system in previous years are the same issues that we are seeing once again.  They’re also the same issues that Tampa had while Koetter was head coach.  He’s got to adjust ASAP.  

Lol all of this is so bad.

Run the ball when it was getting stopped consistently. To the tune of 3-5 yard losses. Getting behind the chains is not smart versus the Eagles. 

Route concepts are basic and long? Yet... Matt threw for 7 ypa and several passes short of the sticks to supplement for the lack of running game. Our issues the first time he was here was trotting out an NFL OL comprised of the likes of Sam Baker, Lamar Holmes, Peter Konz, and Jeremy Trueblood, to name a few. In 2012, yall had no complaints. 

We had no running game. Outside of Ito's 28 yard run, they averaged 1.8 yards per carry. If we were getting 4 yards per carry, by all means keep running it. But when you are picking up chunk yards at the clip the Falcons were, why waste a down on a potential 2 yard gain and most likely a loss of yardage? 

Matt audibling to the screen is a slight on Dirk? Lol ignore the TE screens and middle screen to Freeman right? Ignore Koetter giving Matt the built in check to the double screens, which yall bltched about the thought of screens coming back to Atlanta the moment Koetter was hired. 

They had no running game. That's not a scheme issue. That's a Philadelphia defense doesn't allow running games issue. Same with Minnesota. Go check the stats. Those two defenses have consistently been in the top of the league in shutting down rushing attacks for the past few years. Complaining about "the lack of balance" is baseless. Matt throwing bone headed INTs is not on Koetter. The one in the end zone, he had Stocker wide open in his face and chose to throw it elsewhere. That's not on Dirk. Matt missed two TDs to Ridley and Hardy and back to back plays exploiting the Eagles secondary. Matt Bryant missed a FG. Those three plays right there account for 13 points at the least. 17 at most. That's a 37-41 point output. 

Miss me with complaints about Dirk last night. With his starting RG out, his starting RT going down. And for all of the talk of these long developing routes, Matt was only hit 6 times and sacked once.