jdawg4876

thoughts on dirk and the offense as a whole

112 posts in this topic

For full disclosure I was a fan of bringing dirk back. I still am so far, but he has been way too pass happy so far, the first game I get it , we got down quick to the vikes, but this one not so much. ryan threw the ball 43 times and we only ran it 15 times. Those numbers have to get closer to each other. And if we are not going to run it, we need to get rbs more involved in the dump off game aka like an extended hand off, one of the best called and executed plays all night was the shovel pass to freeman. That is one reason I still have hope for freeman, he showed a second gear and split the defenders up the middle. The biggest issue I see that @ya_boi_j also pointed out is he stops his feet now when making jump cuts, that is not normal. I know it is a small sample size but I do believe ito has earned the right to some more attempts. He has ran the ball 10 times for 63 yds. so thats over  6yds a carry.

On the other plus side, dirk's offense put up more pts than kyle did in 2016, against a better defense in my opinion. and we left at least 10 to 13 pts on the field. 

This week, pass heavy was 100% the way to go. No question. The Eagles were exposed in week 1. To not attack that secondary would have been criminal. That said, you are correct over the long haul. It needs to be more balanced after 17 weeks. That said, look at the pass plays that were there to make that we let get away. The Eagles secondary was so bad they did not even attempt to cover all the receivers on some plays. They were literally playing pee wee ball and sending the house on every significant snap. 

So, big picture,  you are correct. For this particular game, we used a good deal of passes designed to attack aggressive defense...even more screens and flat routes would have been okay with the amount of zero they were playing.

If Belichick played this team, he might not run the ball once in the first 15 plays. The game plan pass balance was correct. Ryan's willingness to throw caution to the wind was interesting, but I'm sure he was told to just let his guys make plays. The one into double coverage in the endzone could not have been more perfect. Two defenders draped on the receiver, and the only one with a chance to touch the football was Ridley. 

3 minutes ago, falcndave said:

This week, pass heavy was 100% the way to go. No question. The Eagles were exposed in week 1. To not attack that secondary would have been criminal. That said, you are correct over the long haul. It needs to be more balanced after 17 weeks. That said, look at the pass plays that were there to make that we let get away. The Eagles secondary was so bad they did not even attempt to cover all the receivers on some plays. They were literally playing pee wee ball and sending the house on every significant snap. 

So, big picture,  you are correct. For this particular game, we used a good deal of passes designed to attack aggressive defense...even more screens and flat routes would have been okay with the amount of zero they were playing.

If Belichick played this team, he might not run the ball once in the first 15 plays. The game plan pass balance was correct. Ryan's willingness to throw caution to the wind was interesting, but I'm sure he was told to just let his guys make plays. The one into double coverage in the endzone could not have been more perfect. Two defenders draped on the receiver, and the only one with a chance to touch the football was Ridley. 

The secondary was a weakness , but the first 5 or so plays were outside runs with freeman, we need more outlet passes to freeman and ito where they are the first or second option 

HASHBROWN3, PokerSteve, Beef and 1 other like this

9 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

The secondary was a weakness , but the first 5 or so plays were outside runs with freeman, we need more outlet passes to freeman and ito where they are the first or second option 

No argument there, I was just saying 70% pass was the right balance for this particular game. No reason to bang your head into that front 7.

papachaz likes this

I think from what I can see, Dirk excels at scripting drives when the offense stays on schedule. When we get negative plays, that's where we're struggling greatly. 

Take the 1st drive for instance. We were moving the ball very well. I saw some great play calls that really exploited the defense. However when the offense got punched in the mouth for a loss after our 4th consecutive 1st down everything went off the rails. We were unable to regain rhythm that drive and struggled throughout when the Eagles brought pressure. 

My hope is that as we get more experience, the Dirk learns to adapt when the offense is knocked off script. 

All that said, we probably hit 30 if Matt Bryant doesn't miss that kick and Matt takes better care of the ball.

Our biggest need is for our MVP QB to start playing better. He's missed some throws that he made routinely last season including back to back deep balls that could have broken the game open and an absolutely AWFUL endzone INT. We need a better version of Matt in to coming weeks. The Colts, Titans and Texans are gonna be tough outs. Even the Cardinals have looked pretty good with Kyler leading them.

These next 8 games are gonna be tough. All good teams that present varying challenges on both sides of the ball

I am not a huge Dirk fan. But I thought the play calling last night was stellar. 

Our (lack of) kicking game dictated our strategy. We were giving up 10-15 yards every time the ball changed hands. If you play close to the vest in a game like that you will lose every time. Kickers become crucial in a low scoring defensive battle. We had to TRY to open it up and make it a shootout.

Fortunately they helped us do that with all the cover 0 they ran. But when our OL started breaking down more, Dirk adjusted immediately and went to short quick hitters. He was one step ahead of the Eagles the whole game.

In fact he mentioned the screen in between series as the best option out the next time they went jailbreak. Matt recognized it immediately, and somehow managed to get the audible in as the Eagles fans were VERY loud at that point. I think there was one second left on the play clock.

A LOT of people had very small but crucial roles in contributing to that win.

PokerSteve and HASHBROWN3 like this

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

No argument there, I was just saying 70% pass was the right balance for this particular game. No reason to bang your head into that front 7.

yes and no on the redzone int I rather have ran the ball and kicked the field goal to play the clock, but thats why im no HC I guess

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I think from what I can see, Dirk excels at scripting drives when the offense stays on schedule. When we get negative plays, that's where we're struggling greatly. 

Take the 1st drive for instance. We were moving the ball very well. I saw some great play calls that really exploited the defense. However when the offense got punched in the mouth for a loss after our 4th consecutive 1st down everything went off the rails. We were unable to regain rhythm that drive and struggled throughout when the Eagles brought pressure. 

My hope is that as we get more experience, the Dirk learns to adapt when the offense is knocked off script. 

All that said, we probably hit 30 if Matt Bryant doesn't miss that kick and Matt takes better care of the ball.

Our biggest need is for our MVP QB to start playing better. He's missed some throws that he made routinely last season including back to back deep balls that could have broken the game open and an absolutely AWFUL endzone INT. We need a better version of Matt in to coming weeks. The Colts, Titans and Texans are gonna be tough outs. Even the Cardinals have looked pretty good with Kyler leading them.

These next 8 games are gonna be tough. All good teams that present varying challenges on both sides of the ball

matts def a problem right now, we need more plays like that shovel pass

PokerSteve likes this

Dirk showed why he's better than Sark. He was calling attacking plays. If not for Matt having 3 more brain farts, this is a blow out. That bomb to Julio that Darby picked was wide open. Right play call to attack the weakness. Another red zone turnover took points off the board. The screen (Yep, and yall hate them right?) to win the game was perfect. TE screens, middle screens. They were sending pressure all game and Koetter called it right all night. 

If they don't throw those 3 INTs, you probably see them grind the game out late but it was too close and not enough ground was being covered to afford being behind the chains like that. 

mqg96, No.11, Vandy and 11 others like this

There’s only one thing that concerns me. I don’t understand why it seemed like we had no hot routes. Ryan is typically awesome against the blitz. Philly was blitzing every single down. Ryan trying to throw deep against their blitz, throwing off of his back foot on a deep pattern, doesn't make any sense at all. That is not a smart way to attack a blitzing defense.

We have RB’s, TE’s, and awesome slot WR options (Ridley and Sanu can both play the slot). I can’t think of any reason for us to not have hot route options for Ryan. I would need to rewatch the game to confirm which INT’s came against blitzes, but I’m pretty sure the one to Hooper that was meant for the back of the end zone and the deep one to Julio were both against blitzes.

Just now, vel said:

Dirk showed why he's better than Sark. He was calling attacking plays. If not for Matt having 3 more brain farts, this is a blow out. That bomb to Julio that Darby picked was wide open. Right play call to attack the weakness. Another red zone turnover took points off the board. The screen (Yep, and yall hate them right?) to win the game was perfect. TE screens, middle screens. They were sending pressure all game and Koetter called it right all night. 

If they don't throw those 3 INTs, you probably see them grind the game out late but it was too close and not enough ground was being covered to afford being behind the chains like that. 

all true but the Int that darby got was on the o line as well, we all know matt is not partrick or rodgers that ball was not just underthrown but criminally underthrown. The deep pass to hardy is the one that bothers me, we should hit that.

Ergo Proxy, ShadyRef and vel like this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Definitely have to attack more. Thats something we haven't seen in a while.  I'm glad they are taking shots. Methodical is good when it works, will hurt you when it doesnt.

I'm a fan of taking shots.

Ergo Proxy and ShadyRef like this

2 minutes ago, pzummo said:

There’s only one thing that concerns me. I don’t understand why it seemed like we had no hot routes. Ryan is typically awesome against the blitz. Philly was blitzing every single down. Ryan trying to throw deep against their blitz, throwing off of his back foot on a deep pattern, doesn't make any sense at all. That is not a smart way to attack a blitzing defense.

We have RB’s, TE’s, and awesome slot WR options (Ridley and Sanu can both play the slot). I can’t think of any reason for us to not have hot route options for Ryan. I would need to rewatch the game to confirm which INT’s came against blitzes, but I’m pretty sure the one to Hooper that was meant for the back of the end zone and the deep one to Julio were both against blitzes.

bc dirk runs four verts style offense and that is what we went with against the eagles, we needed to small ball them more with 5 to 7 yd dump offs and  let freeman and ito eat

Tim Mazetti and Ergo Proxy like this

3 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Definitely have to attack more. Thats something we haven't seen in a while.  I'm glad they are taking shots. Methodical is good when it works, will hurt you when it doesnt.

I'm a fan of taking shots.

we need to take shots no doubt, but good mix of small ball will do wonders as well

Ergo Proxy and red falcon like this

9 minutes ago, pzummo said:

They did have hot routes. They adjusted later, but don't let one play become the whole gameplan. And that one play was there several times because of the Eagles aggression. The deep ball to Ridley, the just miss to Hardy, the just miss to Julio, and then the INT to Julio. They reigned it in after that INT with some TE screens and RPOs. 

The INT in the end zone is going to be frustrating since he had Stocker wide open for an easy first if not TD. 

Ovie_Lover and Ergo Proxy like this

Falcons tried to establish the run early but it didn't work out well. Run play calls were predictable and got blown up a couple of times. I also think Freeman is not the type of runner as he was a couple of years ago.  Perhaps all the injuries had caught up with him. 

I thought he adjusted well based off what the eagles were doing. I am still not 100% sold on him but I thought he called a good game that would have been an easy win without the mistakes.

The best thing about tonight is that Koetter showed that he was not afraid as a play caller. We consistently called shot plays which is how you beat this defense. You have to play aggresssive to win in today’s nfl and we lost some of that with Sark. I loved Shanny’s philosophy that he is calling a play to score every time. You have to play with that type of mentality.

20 minutes ago, vel said:

They did have hot routes. They adjusted later, but don't let one play become the whole gameplan. And that one play was there several times because of the Eagles aggression. The deep ball to Ridley, the just miss to Hardy, the just miss to Julio, and then the INT to Julio. They reigned it in after that INT with some TE screens and RPOs. 

The INT in the end zone is going to be frustrating since he had Stocker wide open for an easy first if not TD. 

For the one in the endzone, they showed Ryan's arm get hit on the replay.

From an offensive gameplan and playcalling perspective, that was my main concern.  Obviously I have concerns around our ground game, but I don't think that has as much to do with DK's gameplan or playcalling.  The Vikings and Eagles were hitting our backs before reaching the LOS.  Seeing guys miss their blocks and how quickly they get shed is an execution problem.  

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 minutes ago, pzummo said:

For the one in the endzone, they showed Ryan's arm get hit on the replay.

From an offensive gameplan and playcalling perspective, that was my main concern.  Obviously I have concerns around our ground game, but I don't think that has as much to do with DK's gameplan or playcalling.  The Vikings and Eagles were hitting our backs before reaching the LOS.  Seeing guys miss their blocks and how quickly they get shed is an execution problem.  

see this is where I disagree we ran the ball 15 times and the first 3 to four runs for freeman were good gains and he had one or two more ito smith had 2 good runs so thats 8 outta 15 which is a small sample size. the problem was the losses were far too much, it wasnt 2nd and 11 it was 2nd and 16.

Pass protection was good for the most part except blitz pick ups from both rbs.

vel and Ergo Proxy like this

1 hour ago, jdawg4876 said:

For full disclosure I was a fan of bringing dirk back. I still am so far, but he has been way too pass happy so far, the first game I get it , we got down quick to the vikes, but this one not so much. ryan threw the ball 43 times and we only ran it 15 times. Those numbers have to get closer to each other. And if we are not going to run it, we need to get rbs more involved in the dump off game aka like an extended hand off, one of the best called and executed plays all night was the shovel pass to freeman. That is one reason I still have hope for freeman, he showed a second gear and split the defenders up the middle. The biggest issue I see that @ya_boi_j also pointed out is he stops his feet now when making jump cuts, that is not normal. I know it is a small sample size but I do believe ito has earned the right to some more attempts. He has ran the ball 10 times for 63 yds. so thats over  6yds a carry.

On the other plus side, dirk's offense put up more pts than kyle did in 2016, against a better defense in my opinion. and we left at least 10 to 13 pts on the field. 

Maybe freeman is doing what we have all asked him to do and changed his running style to keep himself healthy. Not saying that to come off snarky, but maybe it isn’t a lost step, or loss of any ability. Maybe it’s him taking advice from Warrick Dunn and learn how to have longevity. To point out, they’ve played really good defenses and it may take some time for him to find his groove in what he’s trying to do.

could be completely wrong though.

3 minutes ago, Outmyfalconmind said:

Maybe freeman is doing what we have all asked him to do and changed his running style to keep himself healthy. Not saying that to come off snarky, but maybe it isn’t a lost step, or loss of any ability. Maybe it’s him taking advice from Warrick Dunn and learn how to have longevity. To point out, they’ve played really good defenses and it may take some time for him to find his groove in what he’s trying to do.

could be completely wrong though.

I doubt it bc that is his bread and butter aka jump cuts, all coaches and players know the rb position is not longterm 4/5 times

Outmyfalconmind likes this

It's a given that they're still adjusting out of the WCO, and Ryan's INTs will attest to that. Having said that, what I notice already is an actual method to the madness and a rhythm to what we're doing. Sark, Lord help him, had zero instincts and never thought ahead on anything he was going to do. 

By mid-season, I expect this offense will really hit it's stride. 

duckhoa likes this

1 minute ago, jdawg4876 said:

I doubt it bc that is his bread and butter aka jump cuts, all coaches and players know the rb position is not longterm 4/5 times

That’s true. Hopefully he’s just battling nerves on staying healthy and it isn’t a permanent problem. I’m a huge freeman homer. But you’re right.