Vandy

Shiny Hood Ornament

164 posts in this topic

I'll still always say Julio is more of Big Play WR more than anything else. I agree with the shiny hood ornament argument, but since this is TAFT I'll put on my flame suit, and brace for impact.:sadwave:

2 hours ago, birdz4i said:

funny how in post game jj said sanu got the block.

i curse the Falcons EVERY time they 'try' to run screens !! they never seem to have the timing right!! BUT...that was one of the most perfectly timed screens i've ever seen by ANY team!! GREAT execution!!! watch it in slo-mo!!!

Edited by sanfranfalcon
Drew4719 and Vandy like this

5 hours ago, LouDog said:

Julio is a beast and we were smart to pay him what he deserves, but that wasn't the one time they left him without someone over the top. They all out blitzed and left him one on one numerous times. We just finally caught them on it that last time.

Tried it on his 2nd INT. Matt had to throw flat footed b/c the blitz was getting home. If he gets mechanics right he can push it further for Julio instead of it being a lame duck.

Ironically, we've won the last 3 games when Matt has 3 INTs.

2015 dead arm Peyton Manning SB run! :lol:

LouDog, Vandy, TheFatboi and 2 others like this

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Ten teams are 2-0 and none of em needed an ornament to get there.

When you win the game on a 4th and 3 play by taking it to the house, you're a little more than a hood ornament! :lol: Hood ornaments look good, but JJ gets it done. 

Drew4719, TheFatboi and Vandy like this

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

I thought he didn’t score TDs? 6th straight game with a TD, you navel-gazers! 

Yeah, let’s trade him! :)

Longest active streak in the NFL. I remember someone in the offseason made a thread joking about how long it would take before Julio scored.

6 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Koetter knows how to use Julio

Six straight games dating back to last season and now 11 TDs in the last 10 games, so apparently Sark figured it out too.

2 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

I'll still always say Julio is more of Big Play WR more than anything else. I agree with the shiny hood ornament argument, but since this is TAFT I'll put on my flame suit, and brace for impact.:sadwave:

Not even sure what you mean by that. As if being a “Big Play WR” is a bad thing. 

5 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I never paid attention to his mobility and strength before. I’m on notice now. 

He's Big Ben minus the arrogance. Our D-line could have had 5+ sacks, and it wasn't for lack of effort. Wentz is just that strong and elusive that he manages to avoid what should be a dead-to-rights sack.

Vandy, TheFatboi, Ergo Proxy and 1 other like this

7 hours ago, No.11 said:

He's Big Ben minus the arrogance. Our D-line could have had 5+ sacks, and it wasn't for lack of effort. Wentz is just that strong and elusive that he manages to avoid what should be a dead-to-rights sack.

I was impressed. Use to think he was over-hyped by media. He made some WTF throws early, but the kid showed he’s a gamer. 

No.11, Drew4719 and TheFatboi like this

5 minutes ago, No.11 said:

I agree. 

One of the best, if not the best WR, in the league. Without Jones, we don’t win that game, and the narrative changes to us needing “game changers” or “finishers”. There’s always going to be that small contingent of people that are NEVER going to be happy with ANYTHING this franchise does. 

octoslash likes this

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

He is the most humble guy for a great WR. WR are divas but lucky to have Julio on the team.

all day over AB.

octoslash likes this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Not even sure what you mean by that. As if being a “Big Play WR” is a bad thing. 

He gains most of his stuff off Big plays. Him and Ridley targeted the same number of times, but Ridley more effective. Julio gets the big play, but Ridley more consistent about it.

Edit: Ridley only been here a year true, but there are other receivers that I believe are more effective. 

Edited by Zone#7

4 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

I'd argue Ridley is the more big play oriented WR. Julio lets him have free 1on1 shots with no safety help or coverage rolled to his side.

Julio leads the league for years and Ridley feasts with no attention given him for a year and a minute, but suddenly reverse the narrative?

lol.

Complete ignorant football commentary by you. Good job!

Vandy, Drew4719 and TheFatboi like this

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I'd argue Ridley is the more big play oriented WR. Julio lets him have free 1on1 shots with no safety help or coverage rolled to his side.

Julio leads the league for years and Ridley feasts with no attention given him for a year and a minute, but suddenly reverse the narrative?

lol.

Complete ignorant football commentary by you. Good job!

Oh well I tried.

4 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Every time Julio is on the field , he distorts the defense, that's the complete opposite of SHO.

Ridley got 10 TDs last year because teams were focused on Julio [ and when you don't focus on Julio, he goes for 300 yards].

11 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

He gains most of his stuff off Big plays. Him and Ridley targeted the same number of times, but Ridley more effective. Julio gets the big play, but Ridley more consistent about it.

Last year, Julio averaged 14.8 yards a catch, had 8 TDs and 80 of his catches went for 1st downs

Ridley was 12.8 YPC, had 10 TDs and 36 1st downs. Not sure what your point is.

Ergo Proxy, Vandy, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Edit: Ridley only been here a year true, but there are other receivers that I believe are more effective. 

Did it not occur to you that Ridley is more effective because he doesn’t face double teams or bracketed coverages. It was pointed out by the commentators several time in both games how Julio is constantly doubled teamed or bracketed. If Ridley couldn’t take advantage of only seeing single coverage all game he’d have to go. 

The SHO argument isn’t wrong it’s simply outdated. The concept was developed when the league was dominated by the run game and powerhouse defenses. With the move to a passing league every successful team in the league has some sort of dominant receiving threat. It’s darn near a requirement if you want to win on a consistent basis. Even BB recognizes this that’s why he went and got AB. With Gronk gone they needed someone DCs would have to account for on a weekly basis. 

Vandy, Drew4719, rounz and 2 others like this

11 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

One thing I know is Michael Thomas ain’t doing that. He may have made the catch. He may have gotten the first down. But he ain’t running AWAY from everybody for 50+ yards. 

He is the highest paid possession wideout in the NFL.

I've said it for over a year now...and his stats so far this season continue that trend.

TheFatboi likes this

5 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

4 hours ago, falconidae said:

Every time Julio is on the field , he distorts the defense, that's the complete opposite of SHO.

Ridley got 10 TDs last year because teams were focused on Julio [ and when you don't focus on Julio, he goes for 300 yards].

Last year, Julio averaged 14.8 yards a catch, had 8 TDs and 80 of his catches went for 1st downs

Ridley was 12.8 YPC, had 10 TDs and 36 1st downs. Not sure what your point is.

2 hours ago, shockerfalcon said:

Did it not occur to you that Ridley is more effective because he doesn’t face double teams or bracketed coverages. It was pointed out by the commentators several time in both games how Julio is constantly doubled teamed or bracketed. If Ridley couldn’t take advantage of only seeing single coverage all game he’d have to go. 

The SHO argument isn’t wrong it’s simply outdated. The concept was developed when the league was dominated by the run game and powerhouse defenses. With the move to a passing league every successful team in the league has some sort of dominant receiving threat. It’s darn near a requirement if you want to win on a consistent basis. Even BB recognizes this that’s why he went and got AB. With Gronk gone they needed someone DCs would have to account for on a weekly basis. 

The Zone#7 needs to find a way to punt himself out of this one..,  :ninja:

What was always more important than Matt having "toys" was him having a consistently good OC. Imagine Matt having 2 or 3 more years w/ KS? He's the guy who taught me that scheme can be more important ultimately than the players in that scheme. I know this is gonna sound blasphemous but imagine having the option of KS as a coordinator for 10 years or Julio has a SHO for 10 years? Which would you choose...

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

8 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Ridley is effective because Julio draws coverage away from him.