pzummo

Total Defense

56 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Couple of odd calls DQ made tonight, but the D passes the eye test. They look fast... And I do mean fast. And now they’re playing sound to go with it, Tackling was crisp, the defensive line got after it. The vision is starting to come alive.

I actually expected us to make that stop on that last drive... :lol: at least until that 43 yard pass on 4th down.

Can you list them? I wanna learn too. Don't keep all the good stuff to yourself man. Share that ish.

5 hours ago, falconidae said:

Very excited about the defense. The offense will sort itself out, then this team will be scary good.

I hope and pray for that to happen but I'm not holding my breath. I think we need to start activating one of the bigger backs especially Ollison. He would have made a difference falling forward for those extra tough yards that ito and Freeman just don't have the power to pick up. 

6 hours ago, vel said:

The defense was legit tonight. If not for Matt's boneheaded INTs and the lack of punter to flip the field, this is a different game. 

They shut the run down completely. 2.3 YPC. Didn't matter who ran it, they shut it down. Repeatedly. 3 sacks and constant pressure. I loved it. Totally different group from last year and even last week. They were looking forward to this game. 

Agree. Really the only thing worrying me, at this point, is the lack of running game. Not great. But that could get better as the OL gels.

Matt had a bit more duress than we give credit for, although I firmly believe if we get a more solid running game going that’ll improve.

the D looks very good.

btw both Trufant and Oliver looked great 

ShadyRef, Drew4719 and Vandy like this

4 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Can you list them? I wanna learn too. Don't keep all the good stuff to yourself man. Share that ish.

The play Philly picked up the first down after VBjr sack, was head scratching. I'm not sure if Neal made a mistake, bad call (DQ), or good play by Wentz.

ShadyRef likes this

Just now, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

The play Philly picked up the first down after VBjr sack, was head scratching. I'm not sure if Neal made a mistake, bad call (DQ), or good play by Wentz.

Were we in a cover 4? I don't know how thr receiver got that open on a 4th and 14. I had that here we go again face, only the Falcons can this happen to. Lol

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

3 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Agree. Really the only thing worrying me, at this point, is the lack of running game. Not great. But that could get better as the OL gels.

Matt had a bit more duress than we give credit for, although I firmly believe if we get a more solid running game going that’ll improve.

the D looks very good.

btw both Trufant and Oliver looked great 

We played two very good run defenses. I'm not reading more into that yet. If they can't run the ball going forward, then yea I'll agree. But like you said, they haven't even gelled yet and they are working. 

Drew4719 and falconidae like this

9 hours ago, vel said:

The defense was legit tonight. If not for Matt's boneheaded INTs and the lack of punter to flip the field, this is a different game. 

They shut the run down completely. 2.3 YPC. Didn't matter who ran it, they shut it down. Repeatedly. 3 sacks and constant pressure. I loved it. Totally different group from last year and even last week. They were looking forward to this game. 

They will have to pay davidson or bailey. Those guys are freeing up Jarrett, talk and Beasley. 

9 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

You can’t test it if it isn’t there. The Vikings didn’t test the outside. The plays were designed to go inside and Cook bounced it outside. Trust me if a running sees the edge give he will bounce the play outside. Philly’s backs didn’t see the edge collapse like last week.  

All that plus Cook ran for another 150+ yesterday. He’s gonna have a monster year if he can stay healthy.

Drew4719, vel, Rhodaric and 3 others like this

7 minutes ago, vel said:

We played two very good run defenses. I'm not reading more into that yet. If they can't run the ball going forward, then yea I'll agree. But like you said, they haven't even gelled yet and they are working. 

I would say we havent ran the ball enough to know yet. ito has 10 carries avg of 6 yds a carry just saying

vel and Vandy like this

2 minutes ago, red falcon said:

They will have to pay davidson or bailey. Those guys are freeing up Jarrett, talk and Beasley. 

We tried to explain how big of signings Davison and Bailey were. Some fans were adamant that if they were good, we wouldn't have been able to sign them. The last two games, you've seen their presence consistently. Showed up in a BIG way last night though. 

Vandy and falconidae like this

9 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yep. They were out there hitting tonight. I could feel it through my TV. Took a week longer than expected to show up but I’m finally seeing something to hang our hat on now.

I was highly critical of Bailey all preseason and after game 1 but Bailey did his job this game. Looked like they had some business to take care of in the middle of that D. How's all that nonsense about Grady not being elite sound now? Best money they've spent in a long time.

I haven't re-watched the game but I thought there was nice coordination between LB's and safeties to undercut those TE routes. How'd you see it?

3 hours ago, ShadyRef said:

A couple right off the top of my head, DQ rushes 3 on 4th and goal and Wentz held the ball forever. He had to make a tight throw to get the TD, but the play before we got pressure with four on 3rd and goal and just barely missed a sack. Hurried him to a dump off.

3rd and 6 on the final drive, both Takk and Vic drop and we bring a second level rusher. I’ll have to go back and look but I thought it was Campbell. Petersen dialed up crossing routes and Takk winds up chasing a receiver across the field. It was actually a nicely designed drop against a quick throw but once again Wentz has all day in the pocket and fades to his left and until the receiver comes wide open. 

I know you have to change up your calls, but it was way too cute. Any time I see a top pass rusher in coverage against a receiver, especially when the front four pressure has been there all night, and in that crunch time situation, it works my nerves. Way too cute there.

And I don’t even reflexively hate it when we rush three but that was crazy in that spot.

Another one that jumped out is Quinn goes to a 2 deep coverage out of the blue in that final drive when we were doing a great job in single high all game, and Neal doesn’t get over the top to the #1 receiver after Oliver turns him loose. Dude was wide open (Nelson Algholor) and would have scored if he hadn’t let the ball bounce off his hands.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead
vel, high impact, Drew4719 and 6 others like this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

We tried to explain how big of signings Davison and Bailey were. Some fans were adamant that if they were good, we wouldn't have been able to sign them. The last two games, you've seen their presence consistently. Showed up in a BIG way last night though. 

Agreed.

There were some hard hitting going on last night. And for once, we were delivering many of them.

Looks like we may finally have that D we’ve all been clamoring for bro. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Agree, was one of those who were excited by the signings. This year, Falcons aren't going to consistently lose the LOS on either side. Will take some time for both lines to really come together, but this team can win a lot of games this year.

vel, ShadyRef, Vandy and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, slider said:

I was highly critical of Bailey all preseason and after game 1 but Bailey did his job this game. Looked like they had some business to take care of in the middle of that D. How's all that nonsense about Grady not being elite sound now? Best money they've spent in a long time.

I haven't re-watched the game but I thought there was nice coordination between LB's and safeties to undercut those TE routes. How'd you see it?

I’ll have to go back and look at it again but outside of a couple of plays — and those plays came in crunch time that could have cost us the game — I thought we played zone better than I’ve ever seen since DQ has been here.

Everyone had their eyes in the same spot. They were passing off receivers properly. The linebackers were getting their proper drops to sink those windows between them and the safeties and every time the ball was caught underneath the pursuit and the tackling was beautiful.

Thats where we get to struggling far too often. We’ll force the underneath throw then we’ll rally and lose leverage or miss a tackle and that 4 yard dumpoff turns into a 7-8 yard game. Last night it looked — Football God’s forgive me — it looked Seattle-esque, the way they preach it.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

A couple right off the top of my head, DQ rushes 3 on 4th and goal and Wentz held the ball forever. He had to make a tight throw to get the TD, but the play before we got pressure with four on 3rd and goal and just barely missed a sack. Hurried him to a dump off.

3rd and 6 on the final drive, both Takk and Vic drop and we bring a second level rusher. I’ll have to go back and look but I thought it was Campbell. Petersen dialed up crossing routes and Takk winds up chasing a receiver across the field. It was actually a nicely designed drop against a quick throw but once again a Wentz has all day in the pocket and fades to his left and until the receiver comes wide open. 

I know you have to change up your calls, but it was way too front. Any time I see a top pass rusher in coverage against a receiver, especially when the front four pressure has been there all night, and in that crunch time situation, it works my nerves. Way too cute there.

And I don’t even reflexively hate it when we rush three but that was crazy in that spot.

Another one that jumped out is Quinn goes to a 2 deep coverage out of the blue in that final drive when we were doing a great job in single high all game, and Neal doesn’t get over the top to the #1 receiver after Oliver turns him loose. Dude was wide open and would have scored if he hadn’t let the ball bounce off his hands.

Yeah, the 3 man rush on the 4th and goal annoyed me. Think that would have been the perfect time to blitz instead, force a quick decision.

OTOH, consistent pressure with a 4 man rush was sweet to see. Against a good OLine no less.

9 hours ago, vel said:

And physical! Fans were ready for this group to get rolled over after the Vikings game and complained that we didn't win physical games. This was exactly that and they pulled it out!

Eagles were dropping like flies.

papachaz likes this

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Yeah, the 3 man rush on the 4th and goal annoyed me. Think that would have been the perfect time to blitz instead, force a quick decision.

OTOH, consistent pressure with a 4 man rush was sweet to see. Against a good OLine no less.

That was total and utter BS.

papachaz likes this

10 hours ago, Emmitt said:

I watched a lot of games today waiting for ours. We by far have the hardest hitting defense that I saw today. I love that kind of play

how many cups of powerade/gatorade were drank league wide yesterday? care to take a guess?

:ninja::lol::tiphat:

Emmitt likes this

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I’ll have to go back and look at it again but outside of a couple of plays — and those plays came in crunch time that could have cost us the game — I thought we played zone better than I’ve ever seen since DQ has been here.

Everyone had their eyes in the same spot. They were passing off receivers properly. The linebackers were getting their proper drops to sink those windows between them and the safeties and every time the ball was caught underneath the pursuit and the tackling was beautiful.

Thats where we get to struggling far too often. We’ll force the underneath throw then we’ll rally and lose leverage or miss a tackle and that 4 yard dumpoff turns into a 7-8 yard game. Last night it looked — Football God’s forgive me — it looked Seattle-esque, the way they preach it.

It appears the more aggressive movement of the front 7 pre-snap is paying dividends as far as QB pressures are concerned but can somebody teach those guys how to finish the sack. It's exasperating to see them get there then swing and miss play after play. Very annoying.

Speaking of annoying, It really sucks right now to have to wait 10 seconds after every good play hoping no flag flies before you can get excited. It kind of takes the spontaneous nutjob outburst out of the game for me.

13 minutes ago, papachaz said:

how many cups of powerade/gatorade were drank league wide yesterday? care to take a guess?

:ninja::lol::tiphat:

I wood estimate that the averages for each game combined GAInfusionContent was somewhere around 4792 cups per game.

papachaz and Rhodaric like this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

All that plus Cook ran for another 150+ yesterday. He’s gonna have a monster year if he can stay healthy.

Sure is. He’s probably gonna lead the league in rushing. Him or Barkley. 

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, Emmitt said:

I wood estimate that the averages for each game combined GAInfusionContent was somewhere around 4792 cups per game.

:tiphat:

sounds about right to me, I'd NEVER doubt the great Emmitt 

Emmitt likes this