pzummo

Total Defense

56 posts in this topic

I know Eagles had injuries, blah blah blah. Defense looked really good tonight. Eagles had great starting field position all game, especially in the first half, and our defense stood strong.

Quietly, we are 3rd in total defense right now, giving up 277.5 yards per game. We need to improve our scoring defense, but I’m enjoying seeing a defense that doesn’t give up yards in bunches. We’re making them work for the yards they get. Run D was also a LOT better this week. 

10 minutes ago, pzummo said:

I know Eagles had injuries, blah blah blah. Defense looked really good tonight. Eagles had great starting field position all game, especially in the first half, and our defense stood strong.

Quietly, we are 3rd in total defense right now, giving up 277.5 yards per game. We need to improve our scoring defense, but I’m enjoying seeing a defense that doesn’t give up yards in bunches. We’re making them work for the yards they get. Run D was also a LOT better this week. 

Once again very true but they also did not run it outside which was odd

Just now, falconidae said:

Pretty sure that at least half of the points given up have come off falcons turnovers. 

I’d bet you that it’s more like 2/3 or even 3/4. Eagles got at least 10 tonight, and all of the Vikes points were off turnovers. That’s at least 38 of the 48 off turnovers, so yeah I win the bet lol. 

1 minute ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I’d bet you that it’s more like 2/3 or even 3/4. Eagles got at least 10 tonight, and all of the Vikes points were off turnovers. That’s at least 38 of the 48 off turnovers, so yeah I win the bet lol. 

1 minute ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

All 28 points against the Vikings were off of Turnovers.

Yeah, just couldn't bring myself to look back at that game.

papachaz likes this

2 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

Once again very true but they also did not run it outside which was odd

Notice that as well, but Eagles usually shove it down our throats north and south. There is where Davison and Allen come in. We were too light in the *** the last few times playing them, but had some beef on the line to help Grady. 

The defense was legit tonight. If not for Matt's boneheaded INTs and the lack of punter to flip the field, this is a different game. 

They shut the run down completely. 2.3 YPC. Didn't matter who ran it, they shut it down. Repeatedly. 3 sacks and constant pressure. I loved it. Totally different group from last year and even last week. They were looking forward to this game. 

Just now, TheFatboi said:

Because they set the edge better tonight. 

I agree but they didn't test it either but I'm not sure they really have a speed back right now Sproles looked like a shell of his former self

Just now, jdawg4876 said:

I agree but they didn't test it either but I'm not sure they really have a speed back right now Sproles looked like a shell of his former self

You can’t test it if it isn’t there. The Vikings didn’t test the outside. The plays were designed to go inside and Cook bounced it outside. Trust me if a running sees the edge give he will bounce the play outside. Philly’s backs didn’t see the edge collapse like last week.  

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

You can’t test it if it isn’t there. The Vikings didn’t test the outside. The plays were designed to go inside and Cook bounced it outside. Trust me if a running sees the edge give he will bounce the play outside. Philly’s backs didn’t see the edge collapse like last week.  

Yep. They played way more assignment sound and just owned their blocks. I was so happy to see some good defense finally. Wentz was going to pull those boys to a W, but the D rose up!

1 minute ago, vel said:

Yep. They played way more assignment sound and just owned their blocks. I was so happy to see some good defense finally. Wentz was going to pull those boys to a W, but the D rose up!

No doubt!!

Couple of odd calls DQ made tonight, but the D passes the eye test. They look fast... And I do mean fast. And now they’re playing sound to go with it, Tackling was crisp, the defensive line got after it. The vision is starting to come alive.

I actually expected us to make that stop on that last drive... :lol: at least until that 43 yard pass on 4th down.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Couple of odd calls DQ made tonight, but the D passes the eye test. They look fast... And I do mean fast. And now they’re playing sound to go with it, Tackling was crisp, the defensive line got after it. The vision is starting to come alive.

I actually expected us to make that stop on that last drive... :lol: at least until that 43 yard pass on 4th down.

And physical! Fans were ready for this group to get rolled over after the Vikings game and complained that we didn't win physical games. This was exactly that and they pulled it out!

3 minutes ago, vel said:

And physical! Fans were ready for this group to get rolled over after the Vikings game and complained that we didn't win physical games. This was exactly that and they pulled it out!

Yep. They were out there hitting tonight. I could feel it through my TV. Took a week longer than expected to show up but I’m finally seeing something to hang our hat on now.

ShadyRef, vel and Rhodaric like this

25 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Takk actually held the edge waayyy better tonite. i really like the DL of Bailey, Grady, Davison, Takk/or Crawford...made a huge difference tonite...

Edited by sanfranfalcon
falconidae and TheFatboi like this

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yep. They were out there hitting tonight. I could feel it through my TV. Took a week longer than expected to show up but I’m finally seeing something to hang our hat on now.

It did help that Goedert got hurt. None of those 2 TE looks I thought they'd use. But even then, the run defense was sound and flawless. This defense just might be legit. 

25 minutes ago, vel said:

The defense was legit tonight. If not for Matt's boneheaded INTs and the lack of punter to flip the field, this is a different game. 

They shut the run down completely. 2.3 YPC. Didn't matter who ran it, they shut it down. Repeatedly. 3 sacks and constant pressure. I loved it. Totally different group from last year and even last week. They were looking forward to this game. 

Very excited about the defense. The offense will sort itself out, then this team will be scary good.

ShadyRef likes this