caponine

Freeman ??

99 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, athell said:

The only difference between Ito and Free right now is Ito is breaking a long gain in both games that make his box score look better.  Also, stop looking at box scores!

Ito Smith :  OPP/Rushes/Yards/Long

vs Minny : 6/31/16...5 for 15 yards without

vs Philly : 4/32/28...3 for 4 yards without

I agree that Free looks off, but he has basically had a year and a half off of football, going against top tier rushing defenses, new linemen, new coordinator, trying to knock the rust off.  Let's let this line gel a bit, let Free get the speed back a bit, then judge him before locking him up for anything especially with a $6m dead cap, eh?

Exactly 

athell likes this

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

I agree he’ll get better. Still running tentatively. Free’s game is running on his instincts with reckless abandon. 

Think you're right. He looked good on the shovel pass.  He didn't hesitate, he just ran.  If he does that more and more over the next few weeks, he'll be fine.

Vandy and GrimeyKidd like this

6 hours ago, gazoo said:

Freeman has been a star player for us, he deserves the benefit of the doubt if nothing else, yet some willing to start trashing him because they personally want one of the guys behind him to start.

TATF-itis 

Symptoms:

passive aggressive threads and post.

We paid too much

He's not my guy.

gazoo, Cole World and Vandy like this

An oline still coming together, a back returning from injury, and two tough defensive fronts.  While Free has been far from impressive the first two weeks, I'll give him more time before I settle on an opinion.

falconidae likes this

27 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Some of these guys will only see what they want to see.  Gotta stick with the negative Nancy shtick.

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, caponine said:

lol like if hill was active and ito wasnt 

You put 3rd string in any position you suffer significant regression. 

I keep hearing now on radio that Freeman's problem is he is not getting enough touches and needs more to get into rhythm.  I just don't see how we can afford to give him any more touches currently.

ki46dinah likes this

47 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You put 3rd string in any position you suffer significant regression. 

Well I'm not gonna go that far. Who's 3rd string on our receiver depth?? 

Freeman got many attempts at the beginning of the game on 1st down when the defense was expecting runs and then add to it missed blocks didn't help. Besides the one run by Ito (nice play calling and nice run), the run game was horrible then it turns into a shoot out passing game. It helps when you have the WRs the Falcons have but it will lead to more interceptions. 

He's 100% healthy afaik and he's not producing. I'm telling Ito Smith has the skills, he's not an up the gut runner but how much success with that have we had historically? Play him like we used play Coleman.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:46 PM, Jesus said:

Team should have been running the ball more in the second half. Free picks up 4 yards...2nd and 6? Two straight passes. 

Dirk.

1 hour ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

He's hardly ran for two years. He will be fine. He did bulk up some, but he is still fast enough. 

Added bulk hurts quickness. Quickness is Freeman's best asset (not a RB lowering his head, and plowing and hrough would-be tacklers. The NFL does not seem to want that from RBs anymore.) Team should have a training plan that fits what suits the players skills. I am sure that he worked his butt off, but maybe bulked-up too much.

8 hours ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

TATF-itis 

Symptoms:

We paid too much

He's not my guy.

Basically.

44 minutes ago, Nobis_Ghost said:

He's 100% healthy afaik and he's not producing. I'm telling Ito Smith has the skills, he's not an up the gut runner but how much success with that have we had historically? Play him like we used play Coleman.

It is getting more opportunities every week.

Ito is smaller smaller blocker though..

9 hours ago, Jesus said:

He hit a second gear or third gear on that shuffle pass.

That was a very-good play-calling by Dirk and Ryan though..

8 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

I keep hearing now on radio that Freeman's problem is he is not getting enough touches and needs more to get into rhythm.  I just don't see how we can afford to give him any more touches currently.

Offensive Guards. That position should be settled now, and they are big. They should run more, and Freeman and Smith should be difficult to see. Linstrom was better at pass-blocking though..They should call runs more in not-so-obvious situations.

And Dirk is not Shanahan. Not a run game guru or run dominant OC.

Freeman was rookie under Dirk. Some familiarity should be there.

9 hours ago, Cole World said:

Free will come into his own... Turner is one of atlanta falcons favs

12 hours ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

TATF-itis 

Symptoms:

We paid too much

He's not my guy.

TATF turns on everyone the moment they get paid. Just waiting for Grady or Debo to have a "bad play" and then 10 threads will get created about how the FO is a joke for "paying that clown"

6 hours ago, Nobis_Ghost said:

recency bias.. Ito was 3.5 YPC last year over a full season, but you guys want him starting over freeman after he gathers 63 yards over our 1st two games this year?

See also the multiple Brian hill threads over preseason. 

Freeman is a historically 4.3 YPC upper-reaches RB. Coming off a serious injury season, you gotta give him more than 2 games to prove if he’s still that RB.....or not.