caponine

Freeman ??

99 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I think he put on too much muscle. He looks really stiff. But I still expect him to get better as it goes tho. 

It's definitely too soon to write him off yet because he basically missed all last year and is having to play his way back into football shape. You understand that there's a major difference between being in great shape and being in football shape.

Vandy, TheFatboi and Cole World like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 4dabirds said:

I think Free is looking good considering we've played two teams who are stout against the run. Considering, we have new personnel on the line and a new OC. Give it a little time before you shovel dirt on his grave.

He needs to , it doesnt get any easier. An up and coming very good colts defense and titans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It's definitely too soon to write him off yet because he basically missed all last year and is having to play his way back into football shape. You understand that there's a major difference between being in great shape and being in football shape.

Yea. He still has his straight line speed. It’s his shiftiness that seems to be out of sorts. A year off is a long time for a running back. He’ll get better as the season progresses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have nothing against him, I just don't think he's a core part of the team, which to me on on offense is Ryan, Julio, Alex Mack (highly underrated, remember our center situation before we signed Mack?) and Matthews who has been up and down but has been a solid blind side protector for us for much of career, and that sometimes can be hard to find even at a decent level.

The running back position in today's NFL is expendable compared to other positions. More specifically, paying a running back top dollar is borderline asinine. They get hurt and/or beaten up all time and as we all know they don't last, and even if they do last their peak is an even tighter window. With Freeman, there's not one carry I've seen in nearly two years where he has the extra edge and the violent finishes he would have to his runs, which is perhaps contributing to his decline, but that's the nature of the game. 

 

Even Todd Gurley, the best running back in the league, is starting to show signs of slowing down. He'll still be a solid starter, but will never will likely never be as dominant. I love Freeman and everything he's done for this team and I hope he bounces back, but I'm a bigger fan of the franchise and our long term success, and especially  after signing a lot of core guys on both sides of the ball, I don't think his current level of production justifies the contract he has.

 

Edited by TheDancingBird
Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

He needs to improve or there should be serious discussions about Ito taking more snaps.

i think those discussions have already started. Ito started the 2nd half

WhenFalconsWin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheDancingBird said:

I have nothing against him, I just don't think he's a core part of the team, which to me on on offense is Ryan, Julio, Alex Mack (highly underrated, remember our center situation before we signed Mack?) and Matthews who has been up and down but has been a solid blind side protector for us for much of career, and that sometimes can be hard to find even at a decent level.

The running back position in today's NFL is expendable compared to other positions. More specifically, paying a running back top dollar is borderline asinine. They get hurt and/or beaten up all time and as we all know they don't last, and even if they do last their peak is an even tighter window. With Freeman, there's not one carry I've seen in nearly two years where he has the extra edge and the violent finishes he would have to his runs, which is perhaps contributing to his decline, but that's the nature of the game. 

 

Even Todd Gurley, the best running back in the league, is starting to show signs of slowing down. He'll still be a solid starter, but will never will likely never be as dominant. I love Freeman and everything he's done for this team and I hope he bounces back, but I'm a bigger fan of the franchise and our long term success, and especially  after signing a lot of core guys on both sides of the ball, I don't think his current level of production justifies the contract he has.

 

Unpopular opinion, the best back in the league resides in New York at the moment.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually thought he was pretty good last night, and I'm no DF apologist to be sure. They're going to spell him a ton throughout this season, so Ito will continue to see plenty of action. The goal is to keep every position on the team fresh with rotations and win games, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's becoming clear that Ito Smith is more dynamic than Freeman.  To some extent, Ito's effectiveness may come from his contrasts with Freeman.  But that doesn't mean Freeman isn't still the best back on the team.  I think the bigger question is why are we keeping 5 backs on the team if two of them have been inactive the past two weeks?  And if Freeman doesn't have a big game soon will we see more of the other backs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Unpopular opinion, the best back in the league resides in New York at the moment.

And id say the 2nd best is in Dallas

ya_boi_j likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

 

But Ito Smith hasn't struggled to gain yards on the ground against the same two defenses. Ito is outplaying Devonta Freeman right now and deserves more carries.

Ito pass protects better too. I like how we bring Ito in on long 3rd down plays. Most likely because the coaches are aware of it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Unpopular opinion, the best back in the league resides in New York at the moment.

Yeah Barkley >>>>>>>>> everyone else

ya_boi_j likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defenses we played are great but he definitely does not look the same. If we don't see more from him the next 2-3 weeks Ito needs to take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Yeah Barkley >>>>>>>>> everyone else

I don’t know how long he’s going to be able to keep it up but man he’s a stud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

 

But Ito Smith hasn't struggled to gain yards on the ground against the same two defenses. Ito is outplaying Devonta Freeman right now and deserves more carries.

Ito has looked good, but if you're being honest he had one good run vs. a 5 man box, Freeman is running versus a stacked box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Unpopular opinion, the best back in the league resides in New York at the moment.

Nah, most folks have known Barkley is the best RB in league for quite some time now.

 

11 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Yea. He still has his straight line speed. It’s his shiftiness that seems to be out of sorts. A year off is a long time for a running back. He’ll get better as the season progresses. 

I agree he’ll get better. Still running tentatively. Free’s game is running on his instincts with reckless abandon. 

falconidae and TheFatboi like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Nah, most folks have known Barkley is the best RB in league for quite some time.

 

I agree he’ll get better. Still running tentatively. Free’s game is running on his instincts with reckless abandon. 

I agree. And he’s trying to temper his running style.  

Vandy, falconidae and Monolith2001 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its too hard to know if he's lost a step or not at this point.  While I agree he doesn't look the same, I also know our running game is based on timing and there is no way Free and our OL are in sync yet. Couple that with the fact we've played two tough defenses against run and I just don't know.

The next two weeks will reveal the truth. I would not count Freeman out though. I know some here are salivating to see Ollison and Brian Hill so Freeman won't get a fair shake from them, but I absolutely will give him more time to show it without screaming for the bigger backs. Freeman is elite when he's on it. He caught a really critical pass last night under severe duress if I recall correctly. 

 

rounz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's no longer 1 cut go, decisive back. He gets to the hole and tippy toes until the first guy gets to him. We need to start activating Hill or Ollison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now