Notre Dame vs Georgia Thread

57 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Fromm played like a game manager in the 2nd half and Tua played like a star in the 2nd half. That should tell you everything you need to know about that. Game managers don't win National championships any longer. Your QB better make plays and play to win

You’re blaming Fromm for the loss?  He played well enough to put us in the lead in OT.  The playcalling in the second half changed.  Not Fromm.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had offensive linemen banged up, one leave the game and one play through it. We had a starting corner not even dress and the other one got hurt early and missed the rest of the game... the 6’6 TE t

This is pure Class.  Tip my hat to you ND  

a few nuggets:        

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Fromm did everything he needed to do to put us in a position to win that game. You can argue whether the defense let us down or whether Tua won that game. Same for Hurts/Bama and Watson/Clemson. 

The weird thing about this argument of game managers is neither you nor Bdawg are saying Fromm is a game manager. 

College football is cyclical. After the HUNH came into being Offense was on top. Saban brought back defensive dominance. Now it’s the RPO. Offensive football has been trending up for a while and I don’t think that’ll change with the rules and officials opening things up for offenses but defensive minded football isn’t dead. Clemson has a great offense last year but they don’t win without that sick front 4. 

Championships are won IMO with playmakers. Defenses don’t have to be dominant every play. You have to find guys that can force negative plays and turnovers. I think back to those Packers and Saints defenses in the mid 2000s that weren’t great but forced mistakes. That’s what it takes, IMO to win with defense these days. 

Yeah me and him had a miscommunication lol. I don't think Fromm is a game manager at all. I don't like your OC now. You have a point about turnovers. I don't think Clemson wins without that front 4 or Trevor Lawrence. They needed both imo

3 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

You’re blaming Fromm for the loss?  He played well enough to put us in the lead in OT.  The playcalling in the second half changed.  Not Fromm.

yep.. after that int fromm threw off the bama defensive lineman helmet our offense changed.  kirby felt we could finish conservatively and our defense was good enough to win the game.  unfortunately it wasn't enough. 

3 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Nah I don't blame him for the loss. But he didn't play like he did in the 1st half. I think Tua was just good in the 2nd half

i have seen that 2nd half a few times and tua had some good throws and some horrible throws.. he had was fortunate on a few dropped ints and some horrible calls/non calls that helped them out.  i am not putting down tua because he did enough to win that game, but he wasn't as good as some claim he was (not saying you, but when i hear others talk about that game).  Our staff went conservative after the int off of the helmet of the dlinemen.  I love this staff and our head coach, but he was just in year 2 being the top dawg kirby made some mistakes and it cost us a title.  

9 hours ago, Carter said:

I think the coaches probably saw the wobbly player 6 and were screaming for him to get down and 20 was in front of him so he thought they were talking to him. Like maybe 20 was willing to fake it lol but I think 6 was in a different dimension at the moment. I understand what you’re saying about 20 but I think the sideline was instructing 6 to get on the ground.

This is correct.  I was at the game in 3rd row right in front of where this occurred.  This is exactly what happened.  Trust me, that kid was seeing stars.  

Later in the game(4th qtr) when a D lineman went down like he was dead but came back in game two plays later, yeah that one was BS, but the video of Gary saying player faking is wrong.  It is just confusing because 20 was willing to go down.  6was on a different planet.

After rewatching the game, hope Cooley is not a bubble screen guy cause looked like we had a lot- like the screen but didn’t seem to be set up well or poor execution something - Fromm is a good 10-15 yard down field passer slats ect.. gotta run outside more and until the secondary ilbs can cover better we have to dial up more pressure. Not sure how anyone on here can fuss about Fromm he put the ball on the money- we will be in trouble if he leaves after this season

6 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Why does it seem like we try to avoid throwing the ball to the middle portion of the field?

I was looking to see if there was a passing chart for 2019, but did not see one.  However, in 2017, 20%, or 49 of Fromm's 243 pass attempts were in the middle portion of the field.  Of those, 13 were over 20 yds.  48%, or 117 of his pass attempts were to the left side of the field.  Of those, 24 were for 20 yds or more.  32%, orr 77 of his pass attempts were to the right side.  Of those, 14 were for 20 yds or more.

Looking at Tua's passing chart through 6 games in 2018, his middle portion of the field pass attempts was 29%.  

13 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I was looking to see if there was a passing chart for 2019, but did not see one.  However, in 2017, 20%, or 49 of Fromm's 243 pass attempts were in the middle portion of the field.  Of those, 13 were over 20 yds.  48%, or 117 of his pass attempts were to the left side of the field.  Of those, 24 were for 20 yds or more.  32%, orr 77 of his pass attempts were to the right side.  Of those, 14 were for 20 yds or more.

Looking at Tua's passing chart through 6 games in 2018, his middle portion of the field pass attempts was 29%.  

I think we should run some drag routes or crossing patterns or something. Short and intermediate is fine. I guess a long attempt on a post pattern is technically a throw to the middle of the field, but that’s not what I’m looking for here.

It’s weird we don’t attack the middle. I remember Fromm tearing Bama up on slants in the NC game his freshman year. 

Considering how ND was playing a lot of 2 deep and trying to press the line with the front 7 the intermediate passing game to the middle should have been open all night. ND has a great game plan on defense and executed it really well. Still, our offensive performance was extremely frustrating. 

18 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

After rewatching the game, hope Cooley is not a bubble screen guy cause looked like we had a lot- like the screen but didn’t seem to be set up well or poor execution something - Fromm is a good 10-15 yard down field passer slats ect.. gotta run outside more and until the secondary ilbs can cover better we have to dial up more pressure. Not sure how anyone on here can fuss about Fromm he put the ball on the money- we will be in trouble if he leaves after this season

Prepare to be in trouble then 

On 9/22/2019 at 0:15 AM, UAB_DAWG said:

Don’t act like you wouldn’t have had a meltdown if your team had been flagged for that penalty. 

I actually tivo'd the game and after going to bed and taking a few days off from thinking about football i cued this bad boy up again to see if I saw this wrong.  Our guy actually in perfect position and is waiting for the ball while the big nd TE is trying desperately to get into position.  The ND player actually runs through our guy and loses his balance in trying to twist his body around.  Not only did we not pass interfere but you could argue the nd player interfered more with our player.  Its natural for you to put your hands up and grab on to a jersey when someone is going to run straight through you, especially a big TE over a DB.  In the picture, the ball is in the air about the 32 yard line and it comes down right at the 10.  You can see our guy isn't even touching the offensive player and is almost in a punt fielding position.  He is putting his hands up to brace against the TE running through him which is where you get the jersey grabbing.  Our guy played it perfectly and there's no ref on the planet that would call PI against us.  Great job by our defense on this one.  Sorry but this was a clean play.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-24-at-8.49.17-AM.jpg

Edited by richham
48 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Common sense analysis.

Like it or not, Barrett is right.  Kirby played that offense out conservatively to grind out a win and limit chances/mistakes.  While we all know Kirby didn’t want it to be that close, he simply tries to win games as conservatively as possible - it is what it is.

48 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Common sense analysis.

Like it or not, Barrett is right.  Kirby played that offense out conservatively to grind out a win and limit chances/mistakes.  While we all know Kirby didn’t want it to be that close, he simply tries to win games as conservatively as possible - it is what it is.

I thought that guy was Matt Ryan at first glance.  And I agree! 

14 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Common sense analysis.

We had offensive linemen banged up, one leave the game and one play through it. We had a starting corner not even dress and the other one got hurt early and missed the rest of the game... the 6’6 TE they rarely use was always open because we were focusing on the 6’4 WR with a depleted secondary. We also have injuries on the DL. WR is a talented group but unreliable. We have good depth but starters are starters for a reason and a lot of our depth is young. Not to mention the muffed punt that set up ND to score and put us behind schedule.

Notre Dame also played a defensive scheme they had not shown before and we weren’t expecting it. We adjusted a bit at halftime. They played their tails off too and deserve credit for it. Watch their games before us and then watch how they played us. We got their best shot. You know past Dawgs teams would have LOST that game. It’s really ridiculous to see so many fans moping around because we didn’t blow them out. Listen to Donnan’s assessment of the game, he knows what he’s talking about.

Edited by Carter