Carter

Notre Dame vs Georgia Thread

1,127 posts in this topic

I was the same until years ago when we opened the year #1 and played ga southern - couldn’t find a ticket to that one and ended up watching in a bar. Believe stirdivant (sp) tore acl that game 

2 hours ago, RxDawg said:

Jus for curiosity, what does one do to get banned? 

It’s a mystery. Each subforum seems to be moderated a little differently. At any rate, I’ve been noticing more people actually getting the hammer recently. A few I have assumed were alt accounts that finally got busted. No idea what Zone did :shrug:

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, slickgadawg said:

Tua caught Georgia by surprise when they prepared for the running quarterback ( hurts) in the title game.  Once they prepared for Tua as a passer they have shut him down.  Teams have seen enough tape on him now to know that you WANT him to be a runner...

Not sure if you saw, Tua won the Maxwell Player of the Week Award for his play against SC last week. The same award he won last year.

That is why we aren't so worried about Tua. If he was as bad as you guy say he was last year and won the award, and won the weekly award the first time he played a SEC team this year, I think he is doing just fine.

Still pulling for the Dawgs against those arrogant nasty little leprechauns! 

Spts1 likes this

49 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Not sure if you saw, Tua won the Maxwell Player of the Week Award for his play against SC last week. The same award he won last year.

That is why we aren't so worried about Tua. If he was as bad as you guy say he was last year and won the award, and won the weekly award the first time he played a SEC team this year, I think he is doing just fine.

Still pulling for the Dawgs against those arrogant nasty little leprechauns! 

I think all folks are saying is that Bama has one of the most outrageous casts of offensive perimeter players the college world has ever seen. In an environment like that, judging which pieces are more important is difficult. Awards aren't a scouting assessment. Tua's talent level (ceiling) is clear-- he could be the next Russell Wilson or even better. It's just difficult to say right now.

In other news, the Vegas line in favor of UGA has broadened to TWO ENTIRE TOUCHDOWNS WOW.
You can make an argument that's made even more impressive by the fact/fallacy that ND gets a lot of bets from folks who stan for them regardless of the line or opponent, affecting the line from being too anti-ND.

Edited by AutumnEffect
BamaBirdLady likes this

Davin Bellamy's account of his game-sealing sack vs. Notre Dame

ByJAKE ROWE 26 minutes ago

Georgia's showdown with Notre Dame in 2017 featured 150 plays from scrimmage. Looking back, two stand out more than the rest.

There was Terry Godwin's improbable five-yard touchdown catch which was initially ruled incomplete but overturned by replay and there was the play that sealed the Bulldogs' 20-19 victory.

That occurred with a little less than a minute and a half in the game when Davin Bellamy beat future first-round pick Mike McGlinchey off the edge and sacked Fighting Irish quarterback Brandon Wimbush, forcing a fumble that was recovered by Lorenzo Carter.

With no timeouts left, Notre Dame was forced to watch Jake Fromm kneel it three times and leave with a win.

What those who saw that play probably don't know is that it was in the works well before it happened. It started on Monday of that week when Bellamy accepted the challenge of matching up with one of College Football's top offensive linemen.

"I remember after I saw that he might be the No. 1 tackle in the draft, I knew it was a big opportunity," Bellamy said. "I asked our defensive grad assistant, Wendell (Pierce), to put together clips of all of his losses, all of the plays where he had been beaten or gave up pressure. I looked at those and had our scout team do their pass set like him all week."

That was pretty normal for Bellamy, who relied more on his savvy, technique, and power as a pass rusher than freakish athleticism. He recalls being matched up on the 6-foot-8, 315-pound McGlinchey all game. It was a battle from start to finish, but it was one the Bulldog edge rushers were winning.

Carter recorded a strip sack on Wimbush earlier in the game and forced two fumbles on the night. More often than not, Carter and Bellamy were getting in the signal caller's face when he dropped back to pass. They hit him several times and the pressure was consistent.

Pinning their ears back and pressuring Wimbush wasn't the goal early on according to Bellamy. Going into the game, the focus was on keeping him in the pocket and making him win with his arm. Instead of trying to slip past blocks, the Bulldogs were trying to take them on and make sure they kept their eyes on him. Once they realized that they could accomplish both, it was game on.

One of those hits on Wimbush occurred with a little over seven minutes left in the third quarter and on that particular play, Bellamy learned something.

"The crazy thing about it is I had beaten Mike McGlinchey on the same move in the third quarter," Bellamy said. "It worked clean, and I got a quarterback hit on it, but it wasn't a sack. So I said to myself that I'm going to go back to that move when I really need it... So I already I knew that the move was going to work because I had tried it prior in the third quarter. I just put it in the bag until it was time to bring it out for the closer. You know, like a pitcher's favorite pitch?"

The two teams went back and fourth after the play Bellamy referenced. Notre Dame extended its lead with a field goal, making the score 16-10 and the Bulldogs responded with a seven-play, 75-yard touchdown on the ensuing drive. Sony Michel punched it in from six yards out to give UGA a 17-16 lead.

The Fighting Irish regained the advantage early in the fourth on a 37-yard field goal but the Bulldogs bounced back and took the lead right back with 3.34 left in the game.

Each team exchanged three and outs before a 47-yard punt by Cameron Nizialek put the Fighting Irish at their own 19-yard line with 1:57 left. There was plenty of time for Wimbush to make something happen, even with no timeouts.

Bellamy came on a twist stunt and worked his way across the formation to pressure Wimbush on first down. He almost had the sack but the Notre Dame quarterback was able to fend him off just long enough to throw the ball away. McGlinchey won second down. Bellamy tried a spin move to the inside but was thwarted and Wimbush fired a pass over the middle to Chris Finke that gained 17 yards and a first down.

With a fresh set of downs and the ball at the Fighting Irish 36-yard line, Bellamy reached into his bag. He he came back to the move he used in the third quarter and employed a technique he says he repeated  thousands of times on pass-rush dummy in practice.

He came off the ball a little slower than normal, intentionally letting McGlinchey beat him to the spot before delivering a slight fake to the inside and using his outside arm to swat the offensive tackles hands away. Bellamy bent the edge, unloaded on Wimbush, and heard nothing but silence.

Bellamy knew he had just done something big and seconds later he found out how big it was. Wimbush had fumbled, Carter had recovered, and Georgia had won the game.

"What I'll never forget is this was happiest I'd ever seen coach Smart with me, and the reason I'll never forget it because he was really hard on me," Bellamy said. "He wanted to make sure I never got complacent, so he rarely, you know, gave me compliments. He just always wanted to keep me humble, and that was the first time. I don't think he could control it. He hit me on my head like 1,000 times when I was walking to the sideline. He hit me on my head like 1000 times. He was like 'that's what you do, that's what you do, that's what you do!'

"I think coach (Mel) Tucker cried, man. He had tears coming down his face. He was so happy."

Carter likes this

1 hour ago, AutumnEffect said:

I think all folks are saying is that Bama has one of the most outrageous casts of offensive perimeter players the college world has ever seen. In an environment like that, judging which pieces are more important is difficult. Awards aren't a scouting assessment. Tua's talent level (ceiling) is clear-- he could be the next Russell Wilson or even better. It's just difficult to say right now.

In other news, the Vegas line in favor of UGA has broadened to TWO ENTIRE TOUCHDOWNS WOW.
You can make an argument that's made even more impressive by the fact/fallacy that ND gets a lot of bets from folks who stan for them regardless of the line or opponent, affecting the line from being too anti-ND.

I hope GA beats the pants off ND!

I have been to 2 NCGs in my life. My Dad took the whole faimily down to New Orleans to see GA beat them in the Sugar Bowl. He told me later how arrogant they were, but I was too young to really notice. The next time I went, we took our kids to Miami to watch Bama curb stomp them. Let me tell you, they were so cocky and arrogant, telling us we had never seen a defense like theirs. We were like, really, like all the SEC defenses we had played??!!

It was a pleasure chanting RUDY RUDY RUDY as they exited the staduim early in the 3rd quarter!

My Tua reference was really directed to a couple of posters saying how they didn't trust Tua and my feelings that Bama fans and Saban do trust him.

2 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I hope GA beats the pants off ND!

Alabama has historically had a tough time with Notre Dame.  I know a few older Alabama fans and they despise the Irish.  

47 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Alabama has historically had a tough time with Notre Dame.  I know a few older Alabama fans and they despise the Irish.  

Absolutely,  Notre Dame was the only school Bear Bryant never beat. The hate goes deep!

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I would be shocked if it was anything different than Bulldog Red.

This

4 hours ago, Red Bandana said:

Anyone know what jerseys the dawgs are wearing?

But just for discussion which would yall want? And why?

I know some want the black because they are badass, but others want the red because they feel you stick with the classic during a big game like this.

Yea I would agree on the classic game part- but can u imagine with this group of recruits watching if we rolled out in black uni’s how nuts the place would be? 

Ovie_Lover likes this

I love the black unis and think they would create a great atmosphere but I say go traditional Red. I'm all in favor of the fans doing a blackout though. Doesn't matter what jerseys we wear, the atmosphere is going to be electric for a once in a lifetime game. 

I think this team is laser focused right now and black jerseys could be a distraction and cause them to be a little overhyped to start the game. Break out the blacks for Auburn or UT later in the year.

Ovie_Lover likes this

I'd break out the black unis in a big game or not at all. It comes off as scared when we do it against a no-name opponent.

Edited by AutumnEffect
Ovie_Lover likes this

3 hours ago, AutumnEffect said:

I'd break out the blacks unis in a big game or not at all. It comes off as scared when we do it against a no-name opponent.

That's another good point.

I think it would be better against an Auburn vs a Notre Dame where people expect this to be a game we look back on like the rose bowl. You want the uniforms to be recognized years and years from now.

36 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

That's another good point.

I think it would be better against an Auburn vs a Notre Dame where people expect this to be a game we look back on like the rose bowl. You want the uniforms to be recognized years and years from now.

Don’t think it will be AU this year - that’s a road game.

Maybe Texas A&M.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Don’t think it will be AU this year - that’s a road game.

Maybe Texas A&M.

I wasn't saying we'd do it this year against Auburn just that's the kind of team we would. One we play every year and is actually decent.

A&M I was gonna say but we dont play them often, could see it though.