DirtyBird7000k

Greatest Falcon of All time???

203 posts in this topic

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Jerz #Quinning said:

Calvin Ridley says hello

You can't be serious. Ridley will be a nice player, but NOWHERE near Julio.  This has to be a joke...

Vandy and Borat like this

Just now, Boise Falcon Fan said:

You can't be serious. Ridley will be a nice player, but NOWHERE near Julio.  This has to be a joke...

I wouldn't put a ceiling on Rid just yet. Rid has the potential to be more than just a nice player. Of course, saying he will be the next Julio is most likely overshooting it, but to say he could be a perennial pro bowl type of reciever is not out of the question. His ability to get seperation and run routes is already at an elite level in just his 18th game.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Yep, it's crazy how people lose their **** when you say Vick did not live up to expectations.

I don't understand why I forgot to mention Cam lol. Cam is a lot more dangerous than Vick when he gets it going.

You can't be serious.  Defensive coordinators don't lose sleep over Cam.  They had nightmares about Vick...

Vandy likes this

7 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Easily the best isn't exactly true.  Love Julio, but no one was better then Neon. He is top 4 or 5 best NFL players ever IMHO.  Athletically maybe the best ever.  

Keep in mind we are talking about greatest Falcon, not greatest player to play for the Falcons. Compare just Deion Sanders' years while he was with the Falcons compared to Matt and Julio entire careers and it's not close. If you want to say who was the best player at their prime during their Falcons tenure, then it's for sure a conversation, but if you are looking at the entire body of work... the records Matt and Julio have set with the Falcons will last for many generations. That would be true if the retired today. Sanders isn't even the Falcons all time interceptions leader. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

I wouldn't put a ceiling on Rid just yet. Rid has the potential to be more than just a nice player. Of course, saying he will be the next Julio is most likely overshooting it, but to say he could be a perennial pro bowl type of reciever is not out of the question. His ability to get seperation and run routes is already at an elite level in just his 18th game.

That's not the argument that was being made.  Ridley is a nice player, but he's not Julio like the poster had suggested.

Vandy likes this

6 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Keep in mind we are talking about greatest Falcon, not greatest player to play for the Falcons. Compare just Deion Sanders' years while he was with the Falcons compared to Matt and Julio entire careers and it's not close. If you want to say who was the best player at their prime during their Falcons tenure, then it's for sure a conversation, but if you are looking at the entire body of work... the records Matt and Julio have set with the Falcons will last for many generations. That would be true if the retired today. Sanders isn't even the Falcons all time interceptions leader. 

If a poll of the media was taken regarding "the Greatest Falcon of All Time", Neon Deon would be the choice.  Stating that he "isn't even the Falcons all time interceptions leader" shows your complete lack of understanding.  Majority of the time QB's didn't even throw it his way, they blistered the guys on the other half of the field.  :lol:  QB's & Coaches were so afraid of Deon. The respect he was shown was unlike ANY Falcon ever by opposing teams.  Julio doesn't always get double teamed, whereas teams completely left Deon alone.  

I've got to go with Prime, simply because nobody else has ever been such a threat with the ball in their hands at multiple positions like him all in one game! And, then he finds the time to get basehits and steal bases for the Braves too! BIG shoes to fill there.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

14 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

If a poll of the media was taken regarding "the Greatest Falcon of All Time", Neon Deon would be the choice.  Stating that he "isn't even the Falcons all time interceptions leader" shows your complete lack of understanding.  Majority of the time QB's didn't even throw it his way, they blistered the guys on the other half of the field.  :lol:  QB's & Coaches were so afraid of Deon. The respect he was shown was unlike ANY Falcon ever by opposing teams.  Julio doesn't always get double teamed, whereas teams completely left Deon alone.  

No, you are missing the point. The point is Deion Sanders played just 70 games as a member of the Falcons, we made the playoffs once and won 0 playoff games during his time here and he promptly left to go play for the 9ers. How can he be the greatest Falcon when he arguably had his best season playing as a member of a division rival? Only reason I brought up INTs is to illustrate that his impact on the franchise was transitory. If he had played more than 1/3rd of his career with the Falcons he probably would be the leader in every CB category, but the fact is he didn't. As it stands he is a blip in the history of the franchise and few would choose him as the face of the team. It's like saying Randy Moss was the greatest Pat of all time. Most talented player to ever put on a Pats jersey? Perhaps, but not greatest Pat. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
JeffAtl and Peyton like this

6 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

No, you are missing the point. The point is Deion Sanders played just 70 games as a member of the Falcons, we made the playoffs once and won 0 playoff games during his time here and he promptly left to go play for the 9ers. How can he be the greatest Falcon when he arguably had his best season playing as a member of a division rival? Only reason I brought up INTs is to illustrate that his impact on the franchise was transitory. If he had played more than 1/3rd of his career with the Falcons he probably would be the leader in every CB category, but the fact is he didn't. As it stands he is a blip in the history of the franchise and few would choose him as the face of the team. It's like saying Randy Moss was the greatest Pat of all time. Most talented player to ever put on a Pats jersey? Perhaps, but not greatest Pat. 

But Deion is inducted in the HOF as a Falcon. What does that mean? Got to mean something...

35 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

You can't be serious.  Defensive coordinators don't lose sleep over Cam.  They had nightmares about Vick...

When healthy, yes DC's do worry about Cam.

He is way more of a duel threat than Vick ever was. Cam is also a load to bring down.

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

That's not the argument that was being made.  Ridley is a nice player, but he's not Julio like the poster had suggested.

My man. Kinda amazing to me when folks get all caught up in the weeds on this.

14 minutes ago, E. T. said:

But Deion is inducted in the HOF as a Falcon. What does that mean? Got to mean something...

It means he played 9 more games as a Falcon than as a Cowboy. He still played more games as a "non" falcon made more pro bowls as a "non" falcon and more All-pro teams as a "non" falcon than he did as a Falcon. Also embarassed us completely in 1994 as a member of the 9ers. 

Take away Deion from Falcons' history and the story looks almost same. Record books: the same, playoff record: 1 less playoff win (incorrectly stated we won 0 playoff games earlier ignoring the New Orleans wild card win). Super Bowl appearances: the same.

Take away Matt and Julio... that's basically most of the success this franchise has ever had, most of the playoff wins and half of our super bowl appearances, plus every passing and receiving record. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

5 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

He is way more of a duel threat than Vick ever was. Cam is also a load to bring down.

Not near like they had to with Vick.

2 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

It means he played 9 more games as a Falcon than as a Cowboy. He still played more games as a "non" falcon made more pro bowls as a "non" falcon and more All-pro teams as a "non" falcon than he did as a Falcon. Also embarassed us completely in 1994 as a member of the 9ers. 

Take away Deon from Falcons' history and the story looks almost same. Record books: the same, playoff record: 1 less playoff win (incorrectly stated we won 0 playoff games earlier ignoring the New Orleans wild card win). Super Bowl appearances: the same.

Take away Matt and Julio... that's basically most of the success this franchise has every had, most of the playoff wins and half of our super bowl appearances, plus every passing and receiving record. 

Don't get me wrong, I see your point. But you have to give credit where credit is due. To have a multi talented player like Deion succeed the way he did on all of those horrid Falcons teams kinda proves a point to those who feel Deion is tops.

This debate can go on forever. I have nothing against what Matt and Julio have done, they have done some special things too, but they did it together. Who did Deion have?

4 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Don't get me wrong, I see your point. But you have to give credit where credit is due. To have a multi talented player like Deion succeed the way he did on all of those horrid Falcons teams kinda proves a point to those who feel Deion is tops.

This debate can go on forever. I have nothing against what Matt and Julio have done, they have done some special things too, but they did it together. Who did Deion have?

I see your point also, and I think it comes down to criteria. As I stated earlier if we are discussing the greatest player to wear a Falcons uniform. I wouldn't argue against Deion. But when we are discussing who the greatest player in team history is I think of the player or players who are the most emblematic and who have contributed most to the history of the franchise. There are only really two options under that point of view that fit the bill imo. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
E. T. likes this

I tend to forget this fanbase is young/youngish.  Honestly, eventually it will be Julio, but I could think of several right now!  :rolleyes:

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

I tend to forget this fanbase is young/youngish.  Honestly, eventually it will be Julio, but I could think of several right now!  :rolleyes:

And William Andrews should be right up there in this discussion.

Andrews_31 likes this

It was brother don't worry.

Vandy likes this

Agreed.  It's laughable that anyone would be trying to sell this...#GiveMeABreak

3 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

It was brother don't worry.

Oh, they’re very serious, seriously wrong.  :ninja:

1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Not even close to true. Coaches feared Vick.  They don't fear Cam.

Vandy likes this