gazoo

Get Ready for more Growing Pains against Eagles

60 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Imo we need to invole Hooper even more into the game plan. We have a probowl TE available and for some reason we dont feature him like we should 

Odd isn't it? We have an embarrassment of riches in number of weapons, but the way we neglect to use them is an embarrassment. :ninja:

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

2 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

Sports are not like your 9-5 job.

Well, if sports are not as guaranteed to get the performance desired than a 9-5 job then they shouldn’t be paid so much.  

1 hour ago, putnam6 said:

5 years into Quinn's regime they are supposed to be grown by now.

This is Year 1 for this offensive line. OP’s point is it will take awhile for them to gel. 

I’ll know they’re getting there when they just line up and go without having to ask each other questions. 

PokerSteve and FalconsIn2012 like this

5 hours ago, vel said:

The problem on the offense vs the Vikings was they were just in the right coverages at the right times. One of those plays, the Falcons went max protect with three routes out. That works when you are getting pressured, but when they only send a four man rush and drop seven to cover those three routes, they'll look long developing. Add in that they couldn't even block a four man rush with max protect and as an OC it gets tough to call any kind of plays. 

I know he's been ripping into that defense though. That was very disappointing. Just basic football. Wrong gap alignments. No edge setting. Just want to. 

While all that is true, if we were playing Vikings in game 10 this season, and that exact same set of circumstances had happened on our first offensive and defensive drive , it would have been corrected if not during the initial drives, almost certainly the next time both squads got back on the field.

Adjustments and communication not just between coaching staff and players, but also your signal callers and on field leaders post huddle  all get better as time goes by. 

For instance, if we were getting gashed on defense off the edges in running game in game 10 this season, it would have been corrected after it happened a couple of times, it wouldn’t have continued all game. The wheels typically don’t fall off like that with a veteran defense that has established chemistry  if there is trust and effective communication, and that comes with playing time.

I agree it still shouldn’t have persisted all game even given the circumstances and  no excuse if it happens again.

On offense, no way out offensive line and timing in running game is on point yet.  A majority of snaps perhaps, but timing is everything in our running game and  the starters haven’t played enough together to have that perfected, Julio and Freeman were clearly rusty,  so I expect more growing pains in offense against another good defense, just not as many as last week. 

vel likes this

I expect all of the growing pains to be largely behind us by game 3, but I don’t expect us to peak until mid year, which is perfect timing. 

But we cannot ignore the fact it took Shanny a full season to get our offense playing at peak level. If a team that has undergone major changes in coaching  and players doesn’t play at peak level game one, feel free to scream “unacceptable” but it is what it is. I would suggest the issue is totally unreasonable expectations.

Why people expect a new OC to have it all clicking game one on road against a top defense in a loud dome seems misguided. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to give it a couple of games to come together, especially given our offensive starters had few snaps in preseason together and all changes on OL.

my question is...how does DQ expect an OC to call KS' offense? i realize that Koetter brings his own concepts too but DQ always refers to it as the Falcons offense. so if Koetter/or whomever is 'forced' to implement a scheme that they havent picked to be their own how does that really benefit the offense? how does one really call something that is not theirs? sure Koetter can 'call' it but does he instinctly 'feel' it? i know that has nothing to do with 3 TO's in game 1 but i still wonder about this approach. much like i totally went WTF on Sark's hire!! and then he was directed to call KS' offense. what other head coach has required such a thing from their OC? i'm sensing some discombobulation with this directive...

or should a veteran playcaller just be able to do it? :huh:

curious...did Bill O'brien continue to call Josh McDaniels playbook when JM was hired by Denver?

Edited by sanfranfalcon

19 hours ago, Is This What You Want? said:

Well, if sports are not as guaranteed to get the performance desired than a 9-5 job then they shouldn’t be paid so much.  

What's the TV deal like at your office? How's the union? Who is your agent? How many full speed collisions do you take in a week?

12 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

What's the TV deal like at your office? How's the union? Who is your agent? How many full speed collisions do you take in a week?

I am paid appropriately for the job I work and the clients/revenue that I secure.  I never said players shouldn’t be paid well, but they should be paid appropriately.  If you think last weeks performance was a professional approach to the game, then you sir are the sucker.  We got Clowned.  Nobody on the team deserved a game check worth more than $1,000 before taxes last week, period.  Quinn owes the city of Atlanta money.  

What will you say when the eagles beat our *** at home tonight?  Excuses, excuses, excuses.  Zero accountability

Furthermore, the TV deals will be worth less than peanuts in a couple years time.  IPTV is disrupting the tv revenue model.  Anyone still paying a cable provider today is either a loser or likes burning their cash in the fireplace when they are cold.  So be prepared for that argument to die a sudden death.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:44 PM, Is This What You Want? said:

New coordinators, schemes, groups of players and returning players after long times off is EXACTLY WHY some “vets” should all play at least one full half of 2nd and 3rd preseason games.  The idea of preseason is not only to evaluate on the cusp players, but also to get the team to gel.  Now we basically have 2-3 games of “real” football just to get on track.  

Trams like the pats can do it bc Belichick runs that D, and Josh McD has been there for ages(two rounds) so everyone knows the deal and not much crazy or new.  

We need to stop acting like we are an elite team with consistent coordinators and practice real scenarios against other teams with a FULL team.

it will probably be in the falcons favor if preseason is done away with, because we always end up treating the first few games of the regular season the way others treat preseason.

So frustrated.

^This makes too much sense for a Falcons team. How dare you, Sir?