gazoo

Get Ready for more Growing Pains against Eagles

60 posts in this topic

I refrained from posting this on Monday because I was afraid some fans were on suicide watch, but get ready for some more growing pains on Sunday. 

I was telling everyone that first game was going to be ugly, sloppy on offense etc the week prior, although even I didn't predict just how ugly.  I predicted a 2-2 start which I still think will be the case. I expected the defense to play better last week, but in retrospect I can see how that happened without effective communication. The 3 turnovers on offense and block punt were all attributable to growing pains IMO. So many changes this offseason to offense, defenses and STs, so many new starters or ones coming back from IR the previous year, so few snaps with our starters this preseason.....it was predictable we would struggle against a top veteran defense in an exceptionally loud dome.

If players have a lot of snaps next to each other, they know better how to communicate with deafening crowd noise in background, they have established chemistry  and when the wheels start falling off on a drive they know they can trust each other to turn it around.  Last week, I can see easily how it got so out of hand. 

The Saints lost to the Bucs opening game last year, allowing Bucs to score 48 points, in the Saint back yard. It happens.

It took Shanny a full year to get the offense firing on all cylinders to where the next year we were 7th in NFL history in points.  Why not give Keotter a few games to do the same thi9ng it took Shanny 16 games to do?  I recall fans wanting to fire Shanny his first season.

I expect more growing pains on offense against the Eagles defense. We will be playing at home which will help a lot, but the OL needs more time to gel, the running game needs more snaps to get timing down between blockers and running backs before its going to play at the level we want it to. It just is what it is. 3 new starters and injuries causing all kinds of interruptions to that. I do expect our defense to STEP UP Sunday though.  The defense doesn't have the latitude the offense has in my view.

This message board is probably going to be intolerable again next week with  over the top sky is falling panic and speculation of TDs, DQs Keotter's firings, but I fully expect our team to be hitting on all cylinders by midseason, prior to us  getting into our division stretch and I also believe we will be a feared team by that point, and have a strong playoff run.

Here's to a win Sunday, but its going to be really tough to pull one out given the circumstances. 

7 hours ago, Sui_Generis said:

Well said. I am in wait and see mode now. But I fully expect the team to be hitting their stride in time for a late season push. 

I expect most of it to be cleaned up by game 3,hopefully it doesn’t take longer. But this will all be forgotten when we start dominating opponents.

Flyin' In DC likes this

I'm sorry but how where the 3 TOs and blocked punt "growing pains"?

Especially when the TOs came from 2 of our more tenured players and were not from a result other than boneheaded choices. 

New coordinators, schemes, groups of players and returning players after long times off is EXACTLY WHY some “vets” should all play at least one full half of 2nd and 3rd preseason games.  The idea of preseason is not only to evaluate on the cusp players, but also to get the team to gel.  Now we basically have 2-3 games of “real” football just to get on track.  

Trams like the pats can do it bc Belichick runs that D, and Josh McD has been there for ages(two rounds) so everyone knows the deal and not much crazy or new.  

We need to stop acting like we are an elite team with consistent coordinators and practice real scenarios against other teams with a FULL team.

it will probably be in the falcons favor if preseason is done away with, because we always end up treating the first few games of the regular season the way others treat preseason.

So frustrated.

benxiong, gazoo, PokerSteve and 1 other like this

And another thing.  These coaches and managers are paid millions of dollars to have a “professional” team ready to play for 16 games or more.  If I walked into a meeting at work with clients and bombed it, what do you think my boss would say if I said “don’t worry, a few more bombed meetings and hopefully I will get it figured out”???

there are millions of people getting paid a tiny sliver of these guys who don’t have more than one chance to screw up.

dont get me wrong, I don’t mind losing a game or many games.  What I do mind is being unprepared, sloppy, and overall unprofessional.  These are pro players, a pro team, and pro coaches.  The least they can do is appear prepared to at least not get the doors blown off their azzes.

okay I’m done, but we better look like a different team Sunday.  I honestly don’t care if we win or lose, but I care a **** OF A LOT if we look SOFT.

benxiong likes this

26 minutes ago, stingbee said:

Game 1 guys... Relax!!!

Unfortunately critical thinking can not get through raw emotion. 

I expected it to be sloppy on offense, it was.  It will be sloppy on offense at times again Sunday, just not nearly as ugly.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

That is exactly what I’m saying.

Just now, gazoo said:

That is exactly what I’m saying.

I'm sorry my man, I'm not following you.

Your post makes it sound like the TOs were growing pains and not just bad football. 

Just now, gazoo said:

I refrained from posting this on Monday because I was afraid some fans were on suicide watch, but get ready for some more growing pains on Sunday. 

I was telling everyone that first game was going to be ugly, sloppy on offense etc the week prior, although even I didn't predict just how ugly.  I predicted a 2-2 start which I still think will be the case. I expected the defense to play better last week, but in retrospect I can see how that happened without effective communication. The 3 turnovers on offense and block punt were all attributable to growing pains IMO. So many changes this offseason to offense, defenses and STs, so many new starters or ones coming back from IR the previous year, so few snaps with our starters this preseason.....it was predictable we would struggle against a top veteran defense in an exceptionally loud dome.

If players have a lot of snaps next to each other, they know better how to communicate with deafening crowd noise in background, they have established chemistry  and when the wheels start falling off on a drive they know they can trust each other to turn it around.  Last week, I can see easily how it got so out of hand. 

The Saints lost to the Bucs opening game last year, allowing Bucs to score 48 points, in the Saint back yard. It happens.

It took Shanny a full year to get the offense firing on all cylinders to where the next year we were 7th in NFL history in points.  Why not give Keotter a few games to do the same thi9ng it took Shanny 16 games to do?  I recall fans wanting to fire Shanny his first season.

I expect more growing pains on offense against the Eagles defense. We will be playing at home which will help a lot, but the OL needs more time to gel before its going to play at the level we want it to. It just is what it is. 3 new starters and injuries causing all kinds of interruptions to that. I do expect our defense to STEP UP Sunday though.  The defense doesn't have the latitude the offense has in my view.

This message board is probably going to be intolerable again next week with  over the top sky is falling panic and speculation of TDs, DQs Keotter's firings, but I fully expect our team to be hitting on all cylinders by midseason, prior to us  getting into our division stretch and I also believe we will be a feared team by that point, and have a strong playoff run.

Here's to a win Sunday, but its going to be really tough to pull one out given the circumstances. 

The schedule makers did not do us any favors week 1 and 2

gazoo likes this

Just now, Malachore said:

Especially when the TOs came from 2 of our more tenured players and were not from a result other than boneheaded choices. 

Did not play together during preseason as a group.

gazoo and spiker like this

Just now, gazoo said:

I except most of it to be cleaned up by game 3,hopefully it doesn’t take longer. But this will all be forgotten when we start dominating opponents.

Hopefully we can learn how to beat these physical teams like the other finesse teams like NE, GB, No, do. 

gazoo likes this

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I don't.

I will be pleasantly surprised if our offense takes off game 2 this year! We are stacked and it’s going to happen, I figured it would start looking much better game 3 though, and be lethal by mid season.

our defense, that better get better this week, that’s the side of the ball I expect a massive leap in production

Falcons Fan MVP and PokerSteve like this

6 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Did not play together during preseason as a group.

I'm sorry but that had zero effect.

Matt threw 2 god awful passes and Freeman fumbling has absolutely zero to do with playing together.

Tim Mazetti and ChickenBiscuit like this

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Matt Ryan should be able to pick apart that secondary.

Yes. No noise and the the O has some real game action under their belt..

The veteran OGs will be fine.

Matthews should come back from the thrashing.

The Falcons will run on them then toast their secondary with PA like you noticed.

Or just throw 40 times, again, like you said.

They are motivated and will win.

gazoo likes this

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

I expect more growing pains on offense against the Eagles defense. We will be playing at home which will help a lot, but the OL needs more time to gel before its going to play at the level we want it to. It just is what it is. 3 new starters and injuries causing all kinds of interruptions to that. I do expect our defense to STEP UP Sunday though.  The defense doesn't have the latitude the offense has in my view.

When was last time we feared any opposition?

We will be competitive but, installing fear in opponents thats not our DNA.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

agree Matt Ryan int's were just bush league

2 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Yes. No noise and the the O has some real game action under their belt..

The veteran OGs will be fine.

Matthews should come back from the thrashing.

The Falcons will run on them then toast their secondary with PA like you noticed.

Or just throw 40 times, again, like you said.

They are motivated and will win.

How are our secondaries better over theirs?

Ertz, Jeffrey, Jackson = 3 players can burn them at will.

If theres no pressure from defensive front....its gonna be a loooong night.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

17 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Matt Ryan should be able to pick apart that secondary.

When has Ryan picked apart the Eagles?  Even in 2016 he struggled against them outside of one bomb to Gabriel.

I expect another average day from Ryan.  26-40, 240 yards, 1 TD 1 INT.  This game will come down to our ability to run the football and control their 2-headed monster at RB