Goober Pyle

After being overwhelmed in Minnesota, Isaiah Oliver is going to be tested going forward

72 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Oops.  Didn't mean to hit low if you took it that way.  He looks the part and I do think he can be good but he's got work to do.

I was just being facetious about the Beasly comment :lol:

Monolith2001 likes this

Falcons cornerback Isaiah Oliver had a rocky debut as a NFL starter against the Vikings on Sunday.

While in man-to-man coverage, he gave up a touchdown catch to the crafty Adam Thielen and then was called for defensive pass interference in the second quarter during the drive that ended with Minnesota taking a 21-0 lead. 

Oliver finished with one tackle. 

“I like teaching,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. “For him, there were some good learning opportunities. How do you defend that one when he’s gaining separation on you?”

Also, on the touchdown pass, Thielen appeared to lean into Oliver and then run in the opposite direction to get open. If Oliver would have stayed on Thielen’s top shoulder he would not have been bumped out of the play.

He made a near save with a dive, but could stop Thielen, who scored 23 yards out.  

The Falcons’ wide receivers are helping Oliver, who’s in his second season in the NFL and is taking over for Robert Alford at right cornerback. 

“They work hard making the (highlight tapes) of the players they are playing against,” Quinn said. “Then during the week, a lot of the receivers will try to do that. This is what (Alshon) Jeffery likes best.”

Quinn likes for the defensive backs to look at receivers going against man-to-man coverages. When they are going against zone coverages, they are just working to get to an area where they can defeat the zone. 

“In man-to-man, you’re trying to beat the person,” Quinn said. “So, in zone, the routes can feel a little bit different. When you are studying a guy, you want to see him in man to man.” 

Oliver has been studying the Eagles receivers and getting help from the Falcons receivers in practice. 

“Going against our receiving corps is obviously going to help you a lot,” Oliver said. “Going into the games, we have a lot of good receivers on this team. Every day at practice there is something you can learn going against Julio (Jones), (Calvin) Ridley and (Mohamed) Sanu, all of those guys.” 

Jeffery, DeSean Jackson and Nelson Agholor are the Eagles’ top wide receivers.  

“Alshon Jeffery is obviously a bigger guy,” Oliver said. “He’s not as fast down the field as the other guys on that team. But a bigger guy, stronger guy. Real physical at the line of scrimmage. Physical at the top of the route. Big catch radius. Doesn’t need the ball thrown that well for him to catch. He can kind of go get it wherever.”

Jackson caught touchdown passes of 51 and 53 yards in the Eagles’ come-from-behind 32-27 victory over the Redskins on Sunday. 

“DeSean Jackson, he’s the fastest dude on the field,” Oliver said. “We have a good idea about what they like and how they like to get those guys the ball.” 

Agholor caught two of five targets for 11 yards against the Redskins. Per Dled

gazoo likes this

32 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I want to see Oliver get physical.  Tackle and move towards the ball carrier with speed and aggression.  He seems and looks so tentative out there.  Lets hope the film study and technique work will pay off on Sunday.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

20 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Worst starting CB in the league last year and won't even be playing this year. Out of all the moves that are starting to look questionable this isn't the one I'm disappointed about. 

It's funny how Robert Alford looked like a pro bowler when Quinn took over the defense in 2016 but looked like trash along with thre rest of the defense last year with Manuel calling it. Jalen Collins had his only good stretch of NFL play when Quinn took over the defense as well. Trufant looked bad for 1st half of the season last year. With the exception of Grady Jarrett, I wouldn't put too much stock in player assessments from last season. 

I will miss Alford. Would have like to have seen him have a bounce back year with Quinn finally taking over fulltime again. 

Flying Falcon likes this

Oliver is going to have to get his hands on receivers.  So far from what I've seen from him is not being able to handle receivers when they make their cuts in their routes. He's not anticipating routes and is too late to react to receivers moves so as long as the QB is somewhat accurate he's going to be toast.

19 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

In a game they lost by six, that's a 4 point swing in the favor of the Eagles. Tough. 

1 hour ago, ltstorm2 said:

Oliver is going to have to get his hands on receivers.  So far from what I've seen from him is not being able to handle receivers when they make their cuts in their routes. He's not anticipating routes and is too late to react to receivers moves so as long as the QB is somewhat accurate he's going to be toast.

Yep. He's not playing his game yet. Nervous about making a mistake. Doesn't help all of the scheme changes. He's got to relax and just trust his game. Especially in man. 

16 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Falcons cornerback Isaiah Oliver had a rocky debut as a NFL starter against the Vikings on Sunday.

While in man-to-man coverage, he gave up a touchdown catch to the crafty Adam Thielen and then was called for defensive pass interference in the second quarter during the drive that ended with Minnesota taking a 21-0 lead. 

Oliver finished with one tackle. 

“I like teaching,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. “For him, there were some good learning opportunities. How do you defend that one when he’s gaining separation on you?”

Also, on the touchdown pass, Thielen appeared to lean into Oliver and then run in the opposite direction to get open. If Oliver would have stayed on Thielen’s top shoulder he would not have been bumped out of the play.

He made a near save with a dive, but could stop Thielen, who scored 23 yards out.  

The Falcons’ wide receivers are helping Oliver, who’s in his second season in the NFL and is taking over for Robert Alford at right cornerback. 

“They work hard making the (highlight tapes) of the players they are playing against,” Quinn said. “Then during the week, a lot of the receivers will try to do that. This is what (Alshon) Jeffery likes best.”

Quinn likes for the defensive backs to look at receivers going against man-to-man coverages. When they are going against zone coverages, they are just working to get to an area where they can defeat the zone. 

“In man-to-man, you’re trying to beat the person,” Quinn said. “So, in zone, the routes can feel a little bit different. When you are studying a guy, you want to see him in man to man.” 

Oliver has been studying the Eagles receivers and getting help from the Falcons receivers in practice. 

“Going against our receiving corps is obviously going to help you a lot,” Oliver said. “Going into the games, we have a lot of good receivers on this team. Every day at practice there is something you can learn going against Julio (Jones), (Calvin) Ridley and (Mohamed) Sanu, all of those guys.” 

Jeffery, DeSean Jackson and Nelson Agholor are the Eagles’ top wide receivers.  

“Alshon Jeffery is obviously a bigger guy,” Oliver said. “He’s not as fast down the field as the other guys on that team. But a bigger guy, stronger guy. Real physical at the line of scrimmage. Physical at the top of the route. Big catch radius. Doesn’t need the ball thrown that well for him to catch. He can kind of go get it wherever.”

Jackson caught touchdown passes of 51 and 53 yards in the Eagles’ come-from-behind 32-27 victory over the Redskins on Sunday. 

“DeSean Jackson, he’s the fastest dude on the field,” Oliver said. “We have a good idea about what they like and how they like to get those guys the ball.” 

Agholor caught two of five targets for 11 yards against the Redskins. Per Dled

It’s a great analysis. And Oliver already has been taught most of these nuances in technique, but when you get out there in the spotlight it’s easy for a newer guy to panic, get caught up in his head  and forget the finer things he’s learned. 

It’s amazing how we all can react if we get panicked/ stricken with fear. So much of what we know intellectually gets thrown out the window and default to more primitive security instincts.

He’s totally got the ability, he is often in a good position to make plays but small errors in technique cause him to struggle. 

As long as he doesn’t let this get into his head and negatively impact his confidence, he’ll get the technique issues corrected.

Pacific_Falcon likes this

The guy is in over his head.  Quinn overreacted with Alford and let him go based on money purposes. Now, he will regret that this year with Oliver. Quinn doesn't have a year for Oliver to learn on the job like Collins and Alford, cause Blank already said he wants a ring THIS year. And ironically, we dont have NO ONE behind Oliver that Quinn can put in for Oliver.  Quinn is a dufus.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

4 hours ago, vel said:

Yep. He's not playing his game yet. Nervous about making a mistake. Doesn't help all of the scheme changes. He's got to relax and just trust his game. Especially in man. 

I seem to recall Jalen Collins having similar problems back in 16 when Trufant went down for the season. He just needs to go through the crucible that is being the starting corner back in the NFL. He got schooled by Thielen for sure, but I'm not sure if people are giving Thielen credit for how good of a WR he is. I'd definitely put him in my top 5 WR in the league. Another thing is that he didn't get all that much playing time last season. He's just gonna kinda suck for a few games. It's really hard being a good CB in this league and you've gotta work a lot and there's a huge learning curve. 

I feel about Oliver like I did about the game versus the Vikings. Yeah we looked like crap but it's the first game of the season versus a tough opponent on the road and we've got tons of room to grow and we'll very likely look better down the line. 

vel and Pacific_Falcon like this

1 hour ago, ATLskinjob said:

I seem to recall Jalen Collins having similar problems back in 16 when Trufant went down for the season. He just needs to go through the crucible that is being the starting corner back in the NFL. He got schooled by Thielen for sure, but I'm not sure if people are giving Thielen credit for how good of a WR he is. I'd definitely put him in my top 5 WR in the league. Another thing is that he didn't get all that much playing time last season. He's just gonna kinda suck for a few games. It's really hard being a good CB in this league and you've gotta work a lot and there's a huge learning curve. 

I feel about Oliver like I did about the game versus the Vikings. Yeah we looked like crap but it's the first game of the season versus a tough opponent on the road and we've got tons of room to grow and we'll very likely look better down the line. 

All that is fine, but the least thing he can do is tackle when needed.. He should already understand how to do tackle 

On 9/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, gazoo said:

He was my biggest question mark coming into the season as far as a starter.  Hopefully he gains some much needed confidence and doesn’t allow a couple of rough outings shake his confidence.

the talent is there, but he’s got to stay out of his head and let his talent take over.

Same here as far as ?'s go coming into the season.

I took a little more simplistic perspective than you though: he just needs to sac up. Just my .02

I'll take Oliver over Trufant and Ito over Freeman. Want some cap money trade those two, which will never happen given their contracts.

Got rid of alford for this piece of trash.I told you all before the season this guy was trash.Id take alfords holding penalties anyday over Oliver not getting his head around and letting guys walk into the end zone

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

Congrats on winning us the game, kid. 

Yep, he’s coming into his own.....and the game winning tackle is just what he needed!

Called it

Oliver was playing way more press coverage this game.  He seemed like he was in a great groove because of it all game.  He was allowed to make positive plays to build his confidence.

I loved him coming out of college.  This was a great game for him.

Francis York Morgan likes this