Goober Pyle

After being overwhelmed in Minnesota, Isaiah Oliver is going to be tested going forward

72 posts in this topic

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/9/12/20861320/after-being-overwhelmed-in-minnesota-isaiah-oliver-is-going-to-be-tested-going-forward-eagles

For all the expectations surrounding Dan Quinn’s defense, there weren’t many personnel changes. Talent was added across the defensive line. The linebacker group remained the same, while Ricardo Allen and Keanu Neal returned from season-ending injuries to reform one of the better safety tandems in the league. The one major personnel change came at the cornerback position. Robert Alford was unsurprisingly released following a dreadful 2018. As the front office opted not to re-sign Brian Poole, all indications were directed towards their promising young corner. Isaiah Oliver was going to be the starter alongside Desmond Trufant.

The former first-team All-Pac-12 corner entered the season with plenty of buzz. His athletic traits and measurables mesh well with Dan Quinn’s preferences. With his long arms and ability to cover acres of space, Oliver is the type of corner that Quinn wants in his defense. What the coaching staff would like to see improvement on is his overall technique. Oliver can struggle to change direction in man coverage. His tendency of not playing with much aggressiveness can become problematic, particularly in run support. Both concerns were visible in Sunday’s loss against Minnesota.

Breaking down Oliver’s game

Oliver had the task of covering Adam Thielen, who has established himself as one of the craftiest wide receivers in the league. The responsibility of matching up with him for nearly a full game isn’t ideal for most cornerbacks, let alone one who doesn’t have much NFL experience. Oliver was fortunate Kirk Cousins only attempted ten passes. Based on a few plays, it was clear Oliver couldn’t hang with him. This realization isn’t surprising given what Thielen has accomplished. What left many frustrated was the young cornerback’s lack of tenacity.

On Cousins’ lone touchdown pass, Oliver allowed Thielen to get leverage on him far too easily. One of Oliver’s biggest attributes is his size. Allowing an undersized receiver beat you with his physicality raises immediate questions. It wasn’t the first time he allowed Thielen to get the better of him. Dalvin Cook’s first touchdown run could have been prevented if Oliver had better instincts. Instead of reacting, Oliver opted to try to close down the outside. That led to him running into Thielen, which meant he couldn’t make the necessary open-field tackle.

Challenges ahead

Oliver will need to elevate his game quickly. In a game where he wasn’t tested often due to game flow, Oliver still managed to make too many mistakes. The Falcons’ ultra-talented offense won’t commit three turnovers. They will score plenty of points, which means the opposing team will attempt 30 to 40 passes a game.

Oliver must show he is up for the challenge starting against Philadelphia. There aren’t many play callers more unpredictable than Doug Pederson. Putting defenders in precarious positions is what his offensive system embodies. Oliver must be prepared for a wide variety of RPOs, unorthodox play designs, and matchups.

This will be a big test to see where Oliver stands as a prospect. A potential matchup against Alshon Jeffrey would be most fitting for him. Jeffrey is the type of receiver that Oliver can get physical with at the line of scrimmage. It’s a better matchup stylistically than covering the likes of DeSean Jackson or Nelson Agholor. Minnesota ran mostly 12 (two wide receivers, two tight ends) or 21 (two running backs, two wide receivers) personnel packages last Sunday. That left Oliver mostly on Thielen, while Desmond Trufant covered Stefon Diggs.

Quinn may decide to have Oliver shadow Jeffrey, as Trufant rotates between the other two explosive wide receivers. Regardless of the matchups and schematic setups, Oliver is going to be in the spotlight this week. He needs to make an impact for Quinn’s defense to get back on track.

He was my biggest question mark coming into the season as far as a starter.  Hopefully he gains some much needed confidence and doesn’t allow a couple of rough outings shake his confidence.

the talent is there, but he’s got to stay out of his head and let his talent take over.

PokerSteve and Pacific_Falcon like this

I think you guys are being a little too harsh on Oliver. He was tested true enough, and I thought overall, he did well. The refs called penalties on Oliver for playing identical to Xavier Rhodes vs Julio. This is just the American Way of looking at things. I think that the machine has to be oiled well overall. I'm not worried as much about Jackson, because he's not gonna run those same routes as Thielen. He's more vertical, and Rico will be there. I'm sure Jackson is happy that Dunta Robinson is no longer here, but Neal can bring the same results.

Question mark still lie in front of him.Dline needs to improve to help the secondary out.Looking at it they all have some rust to knock off.

14 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Quinn needs to start putting him in the right position.  Far too many times is he playing off.  Let him use his size and physicality in bump and run and press coverage 

Yep! 

He will be fine. He just has to grow into his game. Hasn’t played a lot of snaps and should have played a lot more last season as well. 

Flyin' In DC likes this

8 minutes ago, Rise_Up_504 said:

Yep! 

He will be fine. He just has to grow into his game. Hasn’t played a lot of snaps and should have played a lot more last season as well. 

Eagles have some good receivers.. We'll see how he performs this Sunday.. I dont even care if he allows some catches, but Oliver has to be able to tackle and hit

Flyin' In DC likes this

I've posted on here many times my doubts about Oliver. I hope I'm wrong, but for whatever reason I just don't think he's going to be the answer on that side of the field.

Flying Falcon likes this

39 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Quinn needs to start putting him in the right position.  Far too many times is he playing off.  Let him use his size and physicality in bump and run and press coverage 

I thought jamming receivers was a weakness of his? I’ll have to go back and look but I think that was in his draft profile. 

18 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

He doesn’t have it. He’ll be out of the league in two years

Problem with that, we don't have anyone to replace him.. Im guessing Quinn wanted to cut bait with Tru next year and draft another cb if Oliver was high caliber.. But he's definitely appearing to be a bust right now 

3 hours ago, caponine said:

Sorry but I dont have any faith in him tbh, whether he defends Jeffrey or Jackson. It's a lose,  lose situation. 

I want him on Jeffrey. His length will help and Tru really isn't good at covering big, physical guys. It's too bad Shef is out, because he'd be able to match DJax's speed.

NashvilleFalcon01 likes this

5 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I want him on Jeffrey. His length will help and Tru really isn't good at covering big, physical guys. It's too bad Shef is out, because he'd be able to match DJax's speed.

Sheffield was active last week. Miller was the only DB that wasn’t.

Just now, Cole World said:

Sheffield was active last week. Miller was the only DB that wasn’t.

Ah thought he was out with the hammy still. That's good.

16 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Yall miss Alford yet? Yall will. Oliver is NOT it. I said that when Alford didn't get resigned.

I definitely do, i never believed we were in position to let Alford go.. Idk what it is, but Quinns love affair with certain unproven players is going to be his demise.. You cant fall head over heals for a player just on his build.. And Quinn seems to do exactly that.. 

Flying Falcon likes this

30 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Yall miss Alford yet? Yall will. Oliver is NOT it. I said that when Alford didn't get resigned.

Quinn didn’t do Isaiah any favors. He knew exactly what was going on with Alford and still allowed him to play. He should have let Oliver play more instead of rotating them in and out. 

I think Oliver needs time. He hasn’t played but 5-6 games and last week was his first week starting. He should do better this week. 

Flyin' In DC likes this

5 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I want to see more of Oliver before declaring this or that about him. Thielen is arguably a top 10 wideout in the league and is a tough first draw as a starter. 

He looked really bad at the few pass defenses he had against cusions.. Im afraid Wentz is gonna eat him up come Sunday 

Flying Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Rise_Up_504 said:

Quinn didn’t do Isaiah any favors. He knew exactly what was going on with Alford and still allowed him to play. He should have let Oliver play more instead of rotating them in and out. 

I think Oliver needs time. He hasn’t played but 5-6 games and last week was his first week starting. He should do better this week. 

Main thing Oliver had got to do this Sunday is tackle even after hes beat.. He looked out of place last week when he did get beat.. Almost like he just gave up.. Ill accept he's gonna get abused, but his best bet is be in position to make a tackle after he is beat.. 

Flying Falcon and Flyin' In DC like this