Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KCFalcon22

What if Florio is Right?

Just now, PokerSteve said:

What has brought on this early talk of doom for Quinn wasn't the loss, it was the way it lost and looked ragged in every phase of the game. But it's still just one game. Another stinker Sunday, then you've got concerns about the bigger picture.

If you stink it up in three or four games early on, you've got a downward trend and a team that does not look well-coached. Definitely going to wait and see a few weeks before I pronounce Quinn a dead head coach walking.

Dude...Dead Dan Walking was right there in front of you for the taking!

19 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Coaches should be held to the same standards as players. 

Quinn is a defensive coach that hasn’t built a defense, and has had more memorable failures than successes.  Do you think Quinn would survive as a coach with any other team?

Depends on the organization and owner. 

Pittsburgh Steelers? Probably not, they like to hold on their coaches for extended periods. 

Tampa Bay? They’re always chasing a new coach. 

Some teams would value theSuper Bowl appearance and others would blame him for not being able to produce a winning season in ‘18 with a MASH unit. 

Be honest with yourself... if we don’t have so many injuries last year, do we make the playoffs? I think yes

12 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Depends on the organization and owner. 

Pittsburgh Steelers? Probably not, they like to hold on their coaches for extended periods. 

Tampa Bay? They’re always chasing a new coach. 

Some teams would value theSuper Bowl appearance and others would blame him for not being able to produce a winning season in ‘18 with a MASH unit. 

Be honest with yourself... if we don’t have so many injuries last year, do we make the playoffs? I think yes

It’s hard for me to say yes to that.  The injuries were unfortunate, I agree, but Quinn hasn’t shown much for me to believe that he can lead, call plays for, and utilize the players that he has brought along defensively.  They’re still extremely undisciplined, Beasley and McKinley are still lost, we can expect an unnecessary roughness penalty from Neal every game, Oliver hasn’t taken a good step forward so far in his second year, Duke Riley who?,...I just haven’t seen it.

He’s lived on the coattails of dynamic offenses and was gifted a franchise QB and WR.  He got all the defensive groceries, but has yet to prepare the proper meal.  Again I don’t want to go on a Dan Quinn tirade, but I do not believe that he could lead a team from ineptitude, nor do I believe he can be an effective NFL head coach on any other team.

As I’ve said before, I don’t think this season will fall off the rails.  We have enough talent alone to always be at least a middling team.  But that can only go so far.  He’s on a hot seat that only a nfc championship appearance at minimum will extinguish.

2 hours ago, Falconguy said:

Are we seriously talking about this ?

It's a week 1 loss, how about let's see a few more games before we panic.

Let's not pretend they lost a hard fought game in which they played better and the other team simply outplayed them.

They didn't even look like a high school football team out there on Sunday.

Should have happened after last week...heck after preseason when they didn’t win a freaking game! Should have gone 5-0 in preseason! And did not win a single game! Isn’t the adage you play how you practice, appropriate? 

Go ahead and shoot away...trap in waiting. 

18 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

This feels a bit like 2016 honestly. After a really odd loss week 1, we have a chance to bounce back and beat a good team. Or if we lose, then things could go off quickly

Na, in our first loss in 2016 we were at least somewhat competitive. This game one we honestly looked like the worst team in the NFL

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

What has brought on this early talk of doom for Quinn wasn't the loss, it was the way they lost and looked ragged in every phase of the game. But it's still just one game. Another stinker Sunday, then you've got concerns about the bigger picture.

If you stink it up in three or four games early on, you've got a downward trend and a team that does not look well-coached. Definitely going to wait and see a few weeks before I pronounce Quinn a dead head coach walking.

I know the players hear all the media questions etc.  I am curious to see if the players come out and play harder "for the COACH".  Does he really have the allegiance of this team or is brotherhood a marketing myth?

17 minutes ago, Oldmanfan said:

I know the players hear all the media questions etc.  I am curious to see if the players come out and play harder "for the COACH".  Does he really have the allegiance of this team or is brotherhood a marketing myth?

That's a good question. If they are so inclined to get up for a game and play inspired football on his behalf, this coming Sunday would not be too soon to make that happen.

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

At this point I expect the Falcons to get manhandled and for the offense to look bad even at home.

I find it hard to believe in them. I want to, but the recent experience tells me that the Falcons get bullied against physical defenses. I honestly cant remember the last one we beat

Rams in the playoffs in 2017. Also Chicago, Seattle, and Dallas of thag year.  Carolina twice last year. 

3 hours ago, athell said:

1.  Florio is never right...

2.  If we did reset, it would more than likely be Quinn and his staff...this roster is a contender level roster, you don't just give up on that.

We basically steamrolled through the conference and 3/4ths of a superbowl with a roster 90% similar to this one. It should go without saying. 

6 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I don’t want to change any more coaching! As much as I can’t stand Koetter, we need some stability. Just go with it and fix this! Stay for another 10 years, but FIX IT!

Yes, how many 1 year adjustment lulls are we willing to put up with? Matt Ryan and Co can get it done with pretty much any OC. We were getting it done with Sark in yr 2 lol

7 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I don’t want to change any more coaching! As much as I can’t stand Koetter, we need some stability. Just go with it and fix this! Stay for another 10 years, but FIX IT!

Absolutely. If we keep making coaching changes we will not sustain any kind of success. Fix it!!! 

9 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

We basically steamrolled through the conference and 3/4ths of a superbowl with a roster 90% similar to this one. It should go without saying. 

Yes we did. And one could make a strong argument this is an even more talented roster than that ‘16 one was. 

3 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Dallas on line 2

...continuity in coaching means nothing if the coach has never proved anything.  I don’t want to get on a long Dan Quinn tirade but what exactly has he left his imprint on?

Super Bowl run was all Boy Wonder and the offense.

As an overall coach, he has not really built any team identity.  

Shannahan will be fired after this year and has failed everywhere he's been that wasn't Atlanta. DQ had a hand in that run.

4 hours ago, KCFalcon22 said:

Saw this on PFT's Week 2 Picks.

Eagles at Falcons

MDS’s take: It’s hard not to be down on the Falcons after seeing the way they laid an egg in Week One. I’m expecting the Eagles’ defense to stifle the Falcons’ offense again, and Atlanta will suddenly find itself with very little margin for error in the NFC playoff race.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 20, Falcons 13.

Florio’s take: The season could quickly go off the rails for the Falcons, which could get owner Arthur Blank to move his finger toward the reset button.

Florio’s pick: Eagles 27, Falcons 21.

Do you think, IF, things go south this season Blank hits the RESET button.  I'm not giving up on our season (seeing a lot of that going on), I just wonder if this could be the case if we don't get the results we all know are possible.

Mike F. is an idiot and a sensational reporter. Plus, what is wrong with the fan? Is the season over? We played one game and we are making the Philly look like they are not beatable. The Eagles don’t have the Vikings defense and they are playing in Atlanta. 

I see Atlanta playing mean and with a vengeance. I actually see a thrashing of the Eagles. 

29 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Exactly. It's more about playcalling and player usage than trying to put these long-tenured NFL OCs into a box called WCO or otherwise. They all know offense or they don't. Dirk got amazing pass results in Tampa between 2 QBs and a big distraction in their franchise QB suspended at that.

Yeah, they had weapons but so do we and...Mularkey is here for a reason.

BUT something good can take time to mesh. I think that's the only issue was we expected DQ to get the Defense up to a standard much quicker since he was here and helped form the roster the last few years. If that stuff from MIN game gets cleaned up, I think it's a matter of OL and playcalling/players for DK. 

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Exactly. It's more about playcalling and player usage than trying to put these long-tenured NFL OCs into a box called WCO or otherwise. They all know offense or they don't. Dirk got amazing pass results in Tampa between 2 QBs and a big distraction in their franchise QB suspended at that.

Yeah, they had weapons but so do we and...Mularkey is here for a reason.

BUT something good can take time to mesh. I think that's the only issue was we expected DQ to get the Defense up to a standard much quicker since he was here and helped form the roster the last few years. If that stuff from MIN game gets cleaned up, I think it's a matter of OL and playcalling/players for DK. 

I have zero faith in Koetter. None. He gets miles, but he chokes. I believe in Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Sanu, and Hooper. Just call the plays and let them have fun.

Fun fact about Florio: I was on an old NFL message board with him at the turn of the century. He got kicked off the board for a combo of making stuff up and stealing other people's scoops. 

If he says to bring an umbrella, you can be sure it's going to be a sunny day.

15 minutes ago, stizz said:

Shannahan will be fired after this year and has failed everywhere he's been that wasn't Atlanta. DQ had a hand in that run.

Nowhere else did he have a QB like Matt Ryan and weapons like he had with Julio, Sanu, Gabriel, Free, TeCo, etc. to make his scheme really dominant. I'd take him back right now as assisant HC and OC and let Quinn stay as assistant HC and DC.