What if Florio is Right?

KCFalcon22

4 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Did Marvin Lewis win a single playoff game his entire time in Cincinnati?

yeah. I didn’t think so. 

Dallas on line 2

...continuity in coaching means nothing if the coach has never proved anything.  I don’t want to get on a long Dan Quinn tirade but what exactly has he left his imprint on?

Super Bowl run was all Boy Wonder and the offense.

As an overall coach, he has not really built any team identity.  

6 minutes ago, athell said:

Yup.  That stretch in November when we play all 6 of our divisional opponents in, what was it, 7?  8?  weeks is going to go along way for our playoff aspirations.

History tells us 0-2 is not a good place to be in, but even if we do go 0-2, if we can start playing good football it will self correct and we should start stacking wins against these lesser opponents.  I still think opening week @ Minny with all the stuff we had going on was always going to be a next to impossible task.  Would have taken a near flawless game.

It's all media drama. The Bucs started 2-0 and proceeded to end the year 5-11. We started 6-1 in 2015 and ended 8-8. It's a long season. Fans just want to be coddled and told it's going to be ok. 

The Falcons lost by nothing but self inflicted wounds. It's frustrating, but it wasn't a talent issue. They just seemed to be going through the motions and got their a**es handed to them because of it. If they come out and play their football on Sunday, they'll win. It's really that simple. You'll never win turning the ball over 4 times. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

It's all media drama. The Bucs started 2-0 and proceeded to end the year 5-11. We started 6-1 in 2015 and ended 8-8. It's a long season. Fans just want to be coddled and told it's going to be ok. 

The Falcons lost by nothing but self inflicted wounds. It's frustrating, but it wasn't a talent issue. They just seemed to be going through the motions and got their a**es handed to them because of it. If they come out and play their football on Sunday, they'll win. It's really that simple. You'll never win turning the ball over 4 times. 

Yup.  The media loves to compare the nfl schedule to the likes of mlb and the nba, and push hard on the "EVERY GAME COUNTS" narrative...and they are right to a certain extent, but there is a lot more wiggle room and time to correct than the media gives credit for.  Just gotta stack those wins at the right time, handle your division, and you will more than likely be sitting pretty come playoff time.

Another thing to look forward to...Matt looked like garbage at times on Sunday.  He rarely rarely plays poorly two games in a row.  This is a much more winnable game imo.

2 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Dallas on line 2

...continuity in coaching means nothing if the coach has never proved anything.  I don’t want to get on a long Dan Quinn tirade but what exactly has he left his imprint on?

Super Bowl run was all Boy Wonder and the offense.

As an overall coach, he has not really built any team identity.  

Lol again. Jason Garrett has made the playoffs 3 times has HC in 10 years and has never made it past the divisional round. 

Why do y’all want to take away credit from DQ for a good hire in Shanny but blame him for a hire like Sark? It’s hypocritical. Quinn gets credit for taking the falcons to the SB, like it or not. 

Organizational leadership success and failure is HEAVILY based around hiring an appropriate supporting cast and Quinn has shown in his time here that he isn’t too proud to admit a mistake and change course. 

4 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Everyone's saying not to panic about a Week 1 loss. Fair enough, except we looked just as pathetic as we looked most of last season. It's not about one game.

You cannot compare week 1 2019 to an entire 2018 season.  There are so so so many differences and moving parts and variables.  If the defense didn't end up a MASH unit, and we clean up a few games in the middle, we are a playoff team.

And really, we looked more pathetic last week than any game last year lol

2 minutes ago, athell said:

You cannot compare week 1 2019 to an entire 2018 season.  There are so so so many differences and moving parts and variables.  If the defense didn't end up a MASH unit, and we clean up a few games in the middle, we are a playoff team.

And really, we looked more pathetic last week than any game last year lol

A lot of folks are simply discounting that the Vikings may have improved over last year also. 

1 hour ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I try to never buy into the media hype associated with Week 1 losses or "egg laying." The talking heads have to make their money... I get it. But too many teams have looked terrible in Week 1 only to come back and dominate the league. Everyone just needs to get themselves an iced tea and sit down and relax. Everything is going to be alright. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXyPdljqUfchHhCLwDxs_

Just now, Butudontseeme™ said:

A lot of folks are simply discounting that the Vikings may have improved over last year also. 

Yup.  They are legit and loaded with talent.  And as @vel and others have mentioned, you aren't going to beat the Vikings, on the road, Week 1, with 2 new rookies and 1 new fa along the oline, with new pieces on the dline, with guys returning from injury in the secondary, while transitioning to a new base defense, while turning the ball over 3 times.  This week will be better.  I had not a lot of confidence last week...I have much more confidence this week.

33 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

A head coach selects his own staff... unless his name is Jason Garrett and the head coach is just incidental.

Sometimes there are cases where a coach will like a coordinators scheme if that side of the ball really stands out and he’ll keep him on, but most of the time it’s all turned over.

I can promise you though that if DQ goes, the defensive coordinator is going with him.

4CC0DC55-8F3C-480B-BECF-2345BE3AC210.jpeg.68f6694e9cf843be0585f583d3e0875c.jpegCDC49103-F574-43BA-89A1-3177874179E4.jpeg.27d859fcb0709bb72cadab6e0f022dff.jpeg

But...he IS the DC! :ninja:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I try to never buy into the media hype associated with Week 1 losses or "egg laying." The talking heads have to make their money... I get it. But too many teams have looked terrible in Week 1 only to come back and dominate the league. Everyone just needs to get themselves an iced tea and sit down and relax. Everything is going to be alright. 

You really meant Kool-Aide right? :lol:

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Yup.  They are legit and loaded with talent.  And as @vel and others have mentioned, you aren't going to beat the Vikings, on the road, Week 1, with 2 new rookies and 1 new fa along the oline, with new pieces on the dline, with guys returning from injury in the secondary, while transitioning to a new base defense, while turning the ball over 3 times.  This week will be better.  I had not a lot of confidence last week...I have much more confidence this week.

You mean to tell me that there may be other factors than “we just suck” and “Dan Quinn Sux?” 

BLASPHEMER

If this season goes south early, I think there will be new coach.  I just analyze trends.  There are really no trends that work in the Falcons favor.  When was the last time we had a poor record after 4 or 5 games and went on a run to have a winning season.  This is the organization that took forever to have back to back winning seasons.  This is the same staff that had a super bowl debacle.  I don't have confidence that if its sliding downhill, Quinn and the staff can turn it around.  Or team players can turn it around.  Falcons are not built that way.  We have to have it all perfect in order to be a real contender.

22 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Lol again. Jason Garrett has made the playoffs 3 times has HC in 10 years and has never made it past the divisional round. 

Why do y’all want to take away credit from DQ for a good hire in Shanny but blame him for a hire like Sark? It’s hypocritical. Quinn gets credit for taking the falcons to the SB, like it or not. 

Organizational leadership success and failure is HEAVILY based around hiring an appropriate supporting cast and Quinn has shown in his time here that he isn’t too proud to admit a mistake and change course. 

Coaches should be held to the same standards as players. 

Quinn is a defensive coach that hasn’t built a defense, and has had more memorable failures than successes.  Do you think Quinn would survive as a coach with any other team?

What has brought on this early talk of doom for Quinn wasn't the loss, it was the way they lost and looked ragged in every phase of the game. But it's still just one game. Another stinker Sunday, then you've got concerns about the bigger picture.

If you stink it up in three or four games early on, you've got a downward trend and a team that does not look well-coached. Definitely going to wait and see a few weeks before I pronounce Quinn a dead head coach walking.