Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KCFalcon22

What if Florio is Right?

Saw this on PFT's Week 2 Picks.

Eagles at Falcons

MDS’s take: It’s hard not to be down on the Falcons after seeing the way they laid an egg in Week One. I’m expecting the Eagles’ defense to stifle the Falcons’ offense again, and Atlanta will suddenly find itself with very little margin for error in the NFC playoff race.

MDS’s pick: Eagles 20, Falcons 13.

Florio’s take: The season could quickly go off the rails for the Falcons, which could get owner Arthur Blank to move his finger toward the reset button.

Florio’s pick: Eagles 27, Falcons 21.

Do you think, IF, things go south this season Blank hits the RESET button.  I'm not giving up on our season (seeing a lot of that going on), I just wonder if this could be the case if we don't get the results we all know are possible.

Yes.   Quinn already fired all the coordinators.

The next step after that is usually new HC.

If AB has a 'Should I fire Dan Quinn?'  chart.  Last week definitely put a tick mark in the yes column.

And Blank has a history of firing Head Coaches after not making the playoffs 2 consecutive seasons. 

I try to never buy into the media hype associated with Week 1 losses or "egg laying." The talking heads have to make their money... I get it. But too many teams have looked terrible in Week 1 only to come back and dominate the league. Everyone just needs to get themselves an iced tea and sit down and relax. Everything is going to be alright. 

Just now, athell said:

1.  Florio is never right...

2.  If we did reset, it would more than likely be Quinn and his staff...this roster is a contender level roster, you don't just give up on that.

Sooo does all of the staff he just brought in get let go or just a new head coach.

Blank would not put up with another non-playoff, losing season from Quinn.  The real question is whether he would replace TD?

As for players, as big as some of their contracts are combined with their age, we would struggle to find takers for many of them if we tried a fire sale.  We would end up eating a lot of their contracts and getting only mid-round draft picks for them.  We would be better to find a "quick-fix" HC and/or GM instead who could work with what we have.

2 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

Sooo does all of the staff he just brought in get let go or just a new head coach.

/shrug

We are talking in hypotheticals...there could be a scenario AB makes Koetter the HC but again who knows.  A lot probably depends on how this team looks this year.

I don’t think he can push the reset button after committing to alot of the core guys long term.

But if it does go south HC possibly GM could be outta here though.

I mention both because the vision and direction for the team is a joint vision.If AB feels they aren’t fore filling that vision I could see both gone.

If I could have a replacement GM tomorrow or next week give me Bill Polian.Do what it takes to get this guy unretired.

At this point I expect the Falcons to get manhandled and for the offense to look bad even at home.

I find it hard to believe in them. I want to, but the recent experience tells me that the Falcons get bullied against physical defenses. I honestly cant remember the last one we beat

Reset button would be coaches and GM

any new GM and coach would love to have this roster.  There are tradeable pieces and tough decisions that need to be made from people who aren’t heavily invested in the players here.  And a new philosophy could bring about a new attitude.  

Fwiw I don’t think it falls off the rails.

6 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

At this point I expect the Falcons to get manhandled and for the offense to look bad even at home.

I find it hard to believe in them. I want to, but the recent experience tells me that the Falcons get bullied against physical defenses. I honestly cant remember the last one we beat

I mean we beat the Panthers and Redskins just last year.

Also just last year we got embarrassed in Philly and then started lighting people up.  Don't put too much stock in week 1.

I really don’t think letting Dan Quinn go is the answer regardless of this season (unless it’s totally disastrous). 

Organizations need continuity to improve and a revolving door every 5 years isn’t the way to get that IMO. 

It wasnt that long ago that DQ piloted this organization to a SB berth. 

If you jumbled the schedule up and just looked at the opponents the Falcons played this year, most everybody chalked these two opponent's up as losses. I'm not panicking, even if they do go 0-2. If they lose how the Texans just lost, that's a tough one. But if they get embarrassed again, then yea it will be grim. 

39 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

A head coach selects his own staff... unless his name is Jason Garrett and the head coach is just incidental.

Sometimes there are cases where a coach will like a coordinators scheme if that side of the ball really stands out and he’ll keep him on, but most of the time it’s all turned over.

I can promise you though that if DQ goes, the defensive coordinator is going with him.

8 minutes ago, vel said:

If you jumbled the schedule up and just looked at the opponents the Falcons played this year, most everybody chalked these two opponent's up as losses. I'm not panicking, even if they do go 0-2. If they lose how the Texans just lost, that's a tough one. But if they get embarrassed again, then yea it will be grim. 

Yup.  That stretch in November when we play all 6 of our divisional opponents in, what was it, 7?  8?  weeks is going to go along way for our playoff aspirations.

History tells us 0-2 is not a good place to be in, but even if we do go 0-2, if we can start playing good football it will self correct and we should start stacking wins against these lesser opponents.  I still think opening week @ Minny with all the stuff we had going on was always going to be a next to impossible task.  Would have taken a near flawless game.

12 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I really don’t think letting Dan Quinn go is the answer regardless of this season (unless it’s totally disastrous). 

Organizations need continuity to improve and a revolving door every 5 years isn’t the way to get that IMO. 

It wasnt that long ago that DQ piloted this organization to a SB berth. 

Cincinnati on line 1