FalconsIn2020

Julio’s CAP Numbers:

203 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

That is exactly where the draft comes in. Replace role players. Neither of those guys should see heavy snaps outside of base defense. 

Next year: Cominsky and Senat already on the roster. We were going to draft defense line next year anyway. 

Besides, no one here knows what our space will look like by the beginning of free agency next year. 

Churn the roster. Rinse, repeat. 

You need to churn your top guys on occasion by not giving a 2nd contract.  And Senat can’t even make the gameday roster so I’m not expecting much from him.  Wasn’t he inactive again?

I hate the way Julio's deal is structured. If he declines then we have locked in a massive overpay, but if he maintains we have set up another hold out situation. Worst of both worlds.

His last 2 years are around 11mil in salary. Anyone think he will play for that if he is still elite?

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

You need to churn your top guys on occasion by not giving a 2nd contract.  And Senat can’t even make the gameday roster so I’m not expecting much from him.  Wasn’t he inactive again?

Don’t need two Nose tackles active.  Davison was the sure thing this year but even on the open market he was cheap to get.

I think you’re reading too much into all of it. He isn’t active because he can’t play special teams. Is Grace not a good linebacker because he is active just for special teams? Don’t ignore depth just because they are inactive. It’s called roster depth and future.

Not everyone is duke Riley LOL. 

Geneaut likes this

6 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Don’t need two Nose tackles active.  Davison was the sure thing this year but even on the open market he was cheap to get.

I think you’re reading too much into all of it. He isn’t active because he can’t play special teams. Is Grace not a good linebacker because he is active just for special teams? Don’t ignore depth just because they are inactive. It’s called roster depth and future.

Not everyone is duke Riley LOL. 

Senat is a run stopping DT.  That’s what he was billed as coming out of the draft.  If he was playing that way in practice, we sure could have used the additional help on Sunday.  Gave up 180 yards on the ground.  Granted, much of that was due to issues on the edge

15 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

I hate the way Julio's deal is structured. If he declines then we have locked in a massive overpay, but if he maintains we have set up another hold out situation. Worst of both worlds.

His last 2 years are around 11mil in salary. Anyone think he will play for that if he is still elite?

We actually have an easy out for Julio’s deal in 2022.  We save 4 million if we cut him for some reason on 2022

33 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I guess nobody agrees that we are a tad top-heavy.  And you can’t really restructure our top 6 contracts which is where you look when trying to free up money

Who you would not keep out of the top-heavy guys we extended?

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

TD certainly structured Julio’s CAP numbers oddly.  For some reason they increased his 2020 CAP hit to 20 million which puts us 11 million over next years CAP.  Add a draft class and it’s 14 million. Sign Hooper and it’s nearly 20 million over.  Cuts are, as expected,  coming.

But the concerning part is that over 70% of our CAP in 2020 is allocated to our top 10 contracts.  In the salary CAP era, that has never resulted in a winning season.  In 2021 we have 95 million allocated to just 4 contracts...lol. 

If our week 1 Vikings performance is a reflection of how the rest of our season will go, like between 4-12 and 6-10, then we may not have to worry about 70% of our cap being our top 10 contracts. If what you say is true then we may not make the playoffs again until 2022, with a completely different roster. I would hate for that to happen.

5 minutes ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

Who you would not keep out of the top-heavy guys we extended?

While he played great last year, Matthews would have been my sacrificial lamb.  Most disagree, but you can’t support this many elite level contracts.  100 million against the CAP ON 4 players in 2021 is shocking

3adfx2.jpg

1 hour ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

I wonder if they can do a position salary.. like QB position can be paid 35mil

RB: you have 20mil 

WR:40mil 

So each position has a cap... 

You want 6 WR well you have a 40mil cap this year for that position.. I think it help maximize the money the player can get as well.. and helps the player be able to go to more markets with higher chance of still getting paid.

And just have it so you have a cap on every position and not as a team. 

Well I think I would enjoy that. Helps teams keep the guys they draft. There is a down size to everything. But think it would be a fun to see 

Owners have discussed making QB’s cap exempt. 

TD certainly structured Julio’s CAP numbers oddly.  For some reason they increased his 2020 CAP hit to 20 million which puts us 11 million over next years CAP.  Add a draft class and it’s 14 million. Sign Hooper and it’s nearly 20 million over.  Cuts are, as expected,  coming.

But the concerning part is that 75% of our CAP in 2020 is allocated to our top 10 contracts.  In the salary CAP era, that has never resulted in a winning season.  In 2021 we have 95 million allocated to just 4 contracts...lol.  For reference, NE has 47% of their CAP allocated to their top 10 contracts.

There is a first for everything, but it appears we extended too many of our own guys and the result is an overly top-heavy roster for next year.

This is the same path Seattle took when they tried to keep everyone they drafted.  Their roster was bloated, top-heavy and ultimately had to be dismantled and turned over.  Hope we don’t suffer a similar fate

Seattle’s bubble burst with some very poor drafts (2013-14, 2015-16) and trades (Percy Harvin and trade of Unger). But more than anything, that team’s potential dynasty was doomed after Carroll/Bevel/Wilson blew SB 49 which created a toxic culture between team’s offense-defense. 

We had to extend our cornerstones Ryan/Matthews/Jarrett/Deion/Julio. Coach a little better, stay hungry and Keep drafting well...this team will continue to be in the hunt. 

This is the same path Seattle took when they tried to keep everyone they drafted.  Their roster was bloated, top-heavy and ultimately had to be dismantled and turned over.  Hope we don’t suffer a similar fate

Seattle was 10-6 and in the playoffs the year they finally dismantled everything and were supposed to be rebuilding. I wouldn’t mind that fate.

13 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Seattle was 10-6 and in the playoffs the year they finally dismantled everything and were supposed to be rebuilding. I wouldn’t mind that fate.

True. Plus Russell Wilson can cure a lot of hard (and even bad) decisions by management. :ninja:

33 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Senat is a run stopping DT.  That’s what he was billed as coming out of the draft.  If he was playing that way in practice, we sure could have used the additional help on Sunday.  Gave up 180 yards on the ground.  Granted, much of that was due to issues on the edge

I think you answered your supposition.

Ovie_Lover likes this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

True. Plus Russell Wilson can cure a lot of hard and even bad decisions by management. :ninja:

No doubt. They dismantled his offensive line, his top target was in and out of the lineup — then retired. And now he’s stuck with Brian Schottenheimer who literally doesn’t call a pass until third down. 

Russ is earning every bit of that contract.

Vandy, Ergo Proxy and Drew4719 like this

7 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

No doubt. They dismantled his offensive line, his top target was in and out of the lineup — then retired. And now he’s stuck with Brian Schottenheimer who literally doesn’t call a pass until third down. 

Russ is earning every bit of that contract.

Kinda crazy, isn’t it PMF? It’s what I like best about TD/DQ partnership under Blank. After 2013-14 humbled TD....which was a good thing, I think.....This team really seems to do a good job keeping its arrogance in check. I hope we don’t lose that after we win our 1st ring in February.:ninja:

Arrogance in thinking they could do no wrong by Carrol/Schneider could have set seahawks back, but like you said RW covers up a lot of mistakes.

1 hour ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

I wonder if they can do a position salary.. like QB position can be paid 35mil

RB: you have 20mil 

WR:40mil 

So each position has a cap... 

You want 6 WR well you have a 40mil cap this year for that position.. I think it help maximize the money the player can get as well.. and helps the player be able to go to more markets with higher chance of still getting paid.

And just have it so you have a cap on every position and not as a team. 

Well I think I would enjoy that. Helps teams keep the guys they draft. There is a down size to everything. But think it would be a fun to see 

The problem with this is that it makes it where players who feel that they deserve MORE, as you can see with Prescott and Gordon this year, you will always have those who want to exceed everyone else.

Setting spending limits on positions will only make things more difficult, when you look at teams that spend LESS on certain positions and are able to allocate monies larger on QB, DL, WR, etc, it makes it where you can distribute accordingly without having to pay EVERYONE top dollar.  

We have so many top players that we are either going to pay them and be strapped for cash, or we are going to lose some of them.....or in this case, BOTH!

Everyone always wants more, no matter what position or team they play for.  It just is what it is.  I agree they should get all they can. 

Also, that would be difficult, since dead cap also takes into account, what position would you be in if, for example, we cut Matt Ryan, had to eat his 30+ million dollar cap hit and be left with 5 million to get a new one.  I just wouldn't work.

18 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

They were still a very good team throughout, even when they missed the playoffs.  But they spent so much on their in house extensions on defense that certain parts of their roster were tragically thin.  

In 2016 they spent a total of 6 million on their entire OL.  That is all I was referencing with regards to a comparison. They were top-heavy which isn’t a great recipe for success IMO

31 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Seattle’s bubble burst with some very poor drafts (2013-14, 2015-16) and trades (Percy Hardin and trade of Unger). But more than anything, that team’s potential dynasty was doomed after Carroll/Bevel/Wilson blew SB 49 which created a toxic culture between team’s offense-defense. 

We had to extend our cornerstones Ryan/Matthews/Jarrett/Deion/Julio. Coach a little better and Keep drafting well...this team will continue to be in the hunt. 

The Unger for Jimmy G trade was the beginning of the end.

Ergo Proxy, Vandy and Drew4719 like this

We don’t know what the roster today will look like next year.

Who knows what a new CBA could bring.

I’m waaaaaay more concerned about this season. Anything can happen. We aren’t gonna be purging either. A couple cuts that were planned? Ok call that a purge if it fits a narrative or your definition.

Like we all know already, Draft and develop. I’m eager to see Cominsky and hopeful for Senat’a development.

Sanu, Free, Ty are looking like most likely to be cut but who knows what will happen. If we really want to keep someone else that plays a bigger role it’d probably be a restructure of small extension. Mack adding a year. Done, etc.

Geneaut and FalconsIn2020 like this

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

The Unger for Jimmy G trade was the beginning of the end.

Yep, with a mobile QB that can buy time it’s more reliable to secure your RB and OL since he can get more on busted plays than a pocket or traditional QB.

Graham looked sexy but it came with a price. Beast mode had been carrying the offensive foundation for a while.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We don’t know what the roster today will look like next year.

Who knows what a new CBA could bring.

I’m waaaaaay more concerned about this season. Anything can happen. We aren’t gonna be purging either. A couple cuts that were planned? Ok call that a purge if it fits a narrative or your definition.

Like we all know already, Draft and develop. I’m eager to see Cominsky and hopeful for Senat’a development.

Sanu, Free, Ty are looking like most likely to be cut but who knows what will happen. If we really want to keep someone else that plays a bigger role it’d probably be a restructure of small extension. Mack adding a year. Done, etc.

I agree that it’s still nine months too soon. I have just been curious about Julio‘s Number in 2020 since we were already over the CAP.  Instead of going down it significantly increased which was surprising.

Dimitroff has a plan and likely knows the moves that will be made. The point of this thread was just to discuss what said moves could possibly be and whether the roster is too top heavy

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Kinda crazy, isn’t it PMF? It’s what I like best about TD/DQ partnership under Blank. After 2013-14 humbled TD....which was a good thing, I think.....This team really seems to do a good job keeping its arrogance in check. I hope we don’t lose that after we win our 1st ring in February.:ninja:

Arrogance in thinking they could do no wrong by Carrol/Schneider could have set seahawks back, but like you said RW covers up a lot of mistakes.

I gotta give Carroll and Schneider some credit here, too now.  They were supposed to be a 6-10 at best last year.  Carroll got the noise out the locker room and really coached that team up.  It may not show up in the numbers but that defense played solid last year with a bunch of no-names.  Literally the only guy most people could pick out by the end of the season was Bobby Wagner.

And Schneider done quietly added some nice pieces.  They got two corners in Griffin and Flowers -- big long, rangy guys -- they're still raw, but I'd take both of them right now over anything we've got on the roster.  Then they've built that defensive line back up.  Not 2013--14 levels with depth, but they got Jarran Reed, who is quietly one of the best interior rushers in the league, who had 10.5 sacks last season once he gets off suspension.  Quinton Jefferson, a guy who moves around added 2 sacks last week, and played out of his mind.  Ziggy Ansah should finally be in the lineup this week and that's before I get to Clowney.

I don't know that they're gonna get back to being that top-5 unit with Ken Norton calling the defense, but disciplined, they stay in their gaps, and they tackle.  Basically, the stuff that's been missing from out unit for too long for my taste.  

Vandy, FalconsIn2020 and Ergo Proxy like this

Yeah there will be surprise cuts next year.

Many TATFr’s think the bill never comes due with cap increases but that is not exactly true - we have a lot of guys on big contracts now and the middle class players and some aging guys will be purged next year.

That is reality.

FalconsIn2020 likes this