FalconsIn2020

Julio’s CAP Numbers:

203 posts in this topic

TD certainly structured Julio’s CAP numbers oddly.  For some reason they increased his 2020 CAP hit to 20 million which puts us 11 million over next years CAP.  Add a draft class and it’s 14 million. Sign Hooper and it’s nearly 20 million over.  Cuts are, as expected,  coming.

But the concerning part is that 75% of our CAP in 2020 is allocated to our top 10 contracts.  In the salary CAP era, that has never resulted in a winning season.  In 2021 we have 95 million allocated to just 4 contracts...lol.  For reference, NE has 47% of their CAP allocated to their top 10 contracts.

There is a first for everything, but it appears we extended too many of our own guys and the result is an overly top-heavy roster for next year.

This is the same path Seattle took when they tried to keep everyone they drafted.  Their roster was bloated, top-heavy and ultimately had to be dismantled and turned over.  Hope we don’t suffer a similar fate

mqg96, Chaz, Shooter Says and 1 other like this

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

TD certainly structured Julio’s CAP numbers oddly.  For some reason they increased his 2020 CAP hit to 20 million which puts us 11 million over next years CAP.  Add a draft class and it’s 14 million. Sign Hooper and it’s nearly 20 million over.  Cuts are, as expected,  coming.

But the concerning part is that over 70% of our CAP in 2020 is allocated to our top 10 contracts.  In the salary CAP era, that has never resulted in a winning season.  There is a first for everything, but it appears we extended too many of our own guys and the result is an overly top-heavy roster for next year.

This is the same path Seattle took when they tried to keep everyone they drafted.  Their roster was bloated, top-heavy and ultimately had to be dismantled and turned over.  Hope we don’t suffer a similar fate

It's probably just a tad bit early to start worrying about next year's cap.  They'll probably restructure some contracts, e.g. turn some of salary to bonuses.  I know they can make magic if they want to.

Just now, Boise Falcon Fan said:

It's probably just a tad bit early to start worrying about next year's cap.  They'll probably restructure some contracts, e.g. turn some of salary to bonuses.  I know they can make magic if they want to.

They already did that for the likely candidates this year.  Matthews/Ryan/Rico won’t be restructured again.  Leaves Trufant as the only viable option

Dirtier Bird likes this

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

But the concerning part is that over 70% of our CAP in 2020 is allocated to our top 10 contracts.  In the salary CAP era, that has never resulted in a winning season.  In 2021 we have 95 million allocated to just 4 contracts...lol.  

There is a first for everything, but it appears we extended too many of our own guys and the result is an overly top-heavy roster for next year.

Freeman's gone. (post June 1st - 6 million)

Sanu is gone. 6 million

Mack is either restructured or gone. 8 mill

Bailey is gone. 4.5 mil

sambrillo - 3 million

So thats 27 million.  I doubt the cut Mack a restructure is most likely

Not going to get worried yet but in order for TD to make this offseason work, he had to sort of take a "win-now" and locked-in approach.  I'm good with it but we need to get max value out of all the guys that got paid as they are stuck on payroll for the next two-three years.  Where we will maybe regret our situation is being unable to retain guys like Bailey and Davison who are effectively rentals.

Ergo Proxy and FalconsIn2020 like this

16 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

It will depend on what language is in the new CBA. If the cap goes up as part of the agreement then we could possibly sign everyone who we want to 

I wonder if they can do a position salary.. like QB position can be paid 35mil

RB: you have 20mil 

WR:40mil 

So each position has a cap... 

You want 6 WR well you have a 40mil cap this year for that position.. I think it help maximize the money the player can get as well.. and helps the player be able to go to more markets with higher chance of still getting paid.

And just have it so you have a cap on every position and not as a team. 

Well I think I would enjoy that. Helps teams keep the guys they draft. There is a down size to everything. But think it would be a fun to see 

Edited by AllStarHandyMan

3 minutes ago, AllStarHandyMan said:

I wonder if they can do a position salary.. like QB position can be paid 35mil

RB: you have 20mil 

WR:40mil 

And just have it so you have a cap on every position and not as a team. 

Well I think I would enjoy that. Helps teams keep the guys they draft. There is a down size to everything. But think it would be a fun to see 

#NotGoingToHappen

16 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Sanu is gone. 6 million

Bailey is gone. 4.5 mil

sambrillo - 3 million

Also very possible that Carpenter or Brown is cut too

kiwifalcon and Ergo Proxy like this

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

#NotGoingToHappen

Most likely right.. but would that be something as a fan you would like to see? Helps maximize the talent on a roster for every team? 

Just now, AllStarHandyMan said:

Most likely right.. but would that be something as a fan you would like to see? Helps maximize the talent on a roster for every team? 

No, because then the Pats, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. would get all of the best players.  They have enough money that they could sign the best guys for the highest dollars in each category.  By having an overall cap, it limits them somewhat, i.e. they can't have the highest paid player at every position. Basically, it would make the NFL like Baseball which is a complete joke.  Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Phillies, Cubs can spend so much more than other teams.  I hate that.  It doesn't always translate into the best team, but it is an unfair advantage.

21 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Sanu is gone. 6 million

Bailey is gone. 4.5 mil

sambrillo - 3 million

Like I said, a purge is coming.  The first 3 listed are Pro Bowl or All Pro players.  That kind of loss in a single offseason has an impact.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Also very possible that Carpenter or Brown is cut too

Schaub for sure.  Stocker possibly as well.  But you also have to account for the 6-8 FA signings that will take place

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Like I said, a purge is coming.  The first 3 listed are Pro Bowl or All Pro players.  That kind of loss in a single offseason has an impact.

Devonta Freeman has not played at a pro bowl level in like 3 years. 

Dude has been hobbled. Even before the super bowl he started to decline, and he was completely ineffective during that game. I feel like as soon as he got paid he became the second best back on our roster.

#shouldhavekeptTeco

dothan_birdman likes this

2 minutes ago, Bridgeburner said:

Devonta Freeman has not played at a pro bowl level in like 3 years. 

Dude has been hobbled. Even before the super bowl he started to decline, and he was completely ineffective during that game. I feel like as soon as he got paid he became the second best back on our roster.

#shouldhavekeptTeco

If you’re not keeping Freeman, I certainly wouldn’t pay Teco.  I would rarely give a RB his 2nd contract.  Rarely do they finish it as a a good-great RB

5 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

No, because then the Pats, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. would get all of the best players.  They have enough money that they could sign the best guys for the highest dollars in each category.  By having an overall cap, it limits them somewhat, i.e. they can't have the highest paid player at every position. Basically, it would make the NFL like Baseball which is a complete joke.  Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Phillies, Cubs can spend so much more than other teams.  I hate that.  It doesn't always translate into the best team, but it is an unfair advantage.

I think it would be a little more different.. just because of how many more people you have to choose from and that baseball is more if you sell the most tickets/stadium sales you get more money...(definitely correct me if that's not the case) 

The other part is that if you sign the best player in every position doesn't always help... you could have a julio but then have a tayler gabriel and a devin funchess behind that.. (maybe bad people to use) 

But you could also go the way of having like a Sanu,Ridley,Byde(Bengals WR) 

Kind of a mix up have 1 great guy with 1 number 2 and a rookie.. or go with like 3 good number 2 guys.. with a rookie...

now I agree that would be my biggest fear is having a ultimate team and it's like watch basketball... even though we do that know with watching the Patriots!!! 

But cool to see your point is something i think most people would hate to see!

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I guess nobody agrees that we are a tad top-heavy.  And you can’t really restructure our top 6 contracts which is where you look when trying to free up money

I don't think anyone disagrees that we are currently top heavy. I personally hate it that all of these players have to be the highest paid player.  I wish more would team up and say, "let's take a reasonable amount, so we can stay together and win a few ships." Unfortunately, that isn't how it goes.

I'm just not going to worry about being over the cap for next year, right now.  We'll burn that bridge when we get there.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

52 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Meh. TD is one of the most conservative GM. They can move the money easily to make Cap if team needs to be aggressive. It’s way too early to think 2020. This place is still in off season mode.

Historically, you’re right about TD being conservative.  But having an unimaginable 75% of your CAP tied into your top 10 players is the opposite of conservative

Meanwhile, in NE they are at just 47% of their CAP on their top 10 contracts.  Makes for a healthy and balanced roster

40 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Not going to get worried yet but in order for TD to make this offseason work, he had to sort of take a "win-now" and locked-in approach.  I'm good with it but we need to get max value out of all the guys that got paid as they are stuck on payroll for the next two-three years.  Where we will maybe regret our situation is being unable to retain guys like Bailey and Davison who are effectively rentals.

That is exactly where the draft comes in. Replace role players. Neither of those guys should see heavy snaps outside of base defense. 

Next year: Cominsky and Senat already on the roster. We were going to draft defense line next year anyway. 

Besides, no one here knows what our space will look like by the beginning of free agency next year. 

Churn the roster. Rinse, repeat. 

Monolith2001 and Geneaut like this