birdz4i

Falcons look to end skid vs. Eagles in home opener

36 posts in this topic

ReutersSeptember 11, 2019

Though the Philadelphia Eagles have enjoyed some home success against Atlanta in recent years, they know beating the Falcons on the road is a much tougher task.

Looking to build on a comeback victory from their opener, the visiting Eagles try to send the Falcons to their first 0-2 start in 12 seasons on Sunday night.

After rallying from a 17-0 second-quarter deficit to beat Washington 32-27 last weekend and winning its last three meetings (including playoffs) with Atlanta, Philadelphia has reason to feel confident heading into this prime-time matchup. It also helps that the Falcons are still a little shell-shocked from an ugly 28-12 opening loss at Minnesota.

Then again, those three straight Eagles all wins in this series came in Philadelphia, most recently 18-12 in the 2018 season opener. The Falcons have won the last two matchups in Atlanta, most recently in coach Dan Quinn's debut in 2015. They've also won 10 of their last 11 home openers.

"They're a different team when they play at home in front of their crowd," Eagles coach Doug Pederson said during Wednesday's press conference. "That's why you can't go off last week ... It's going to be a different atmosphere for us. It's going to be a different team that we're going to see."

While the Eagles are 2-5 at Atlanta since 1997, and Pederson did a nice job of paying the host some lip service, the Falcons still must be better than they were against Minnesota.

Quarterback Matt Ryan threw for 304 yards and two fourth-quarter touchdowns with his team down 28-0, but was also picked off twice and sacked four times. Running back Devonta Freeman managed just 19 yards and lost a fumble on eight carries, while the Atlanta defense yielded 172 rushing yards to the Vikings.

The defeat obviously didn't sit well with Quinn, but he's not about to abandon the plan he has for the Falcons, or their quest to return to the playoffs after last season's 7-9 disappointment.

"I don't want to make (it about) one game ... that's not indicative of who I think we will be. Or, who we were in that game," said Quinn, who is trying to keep the Falcons from going 0-2 for the first time since 2007.

"We really believe in our process. We totally do. We're committed to it, and we'll play well because of it."

That means stopping an Eagles offense that apparently cannot be kept down long. Against the Redskins, Carson Wentz went 28 of 39 for 313 yards with three touchdowns. Two of those touchdowns went to DeSean Jackson, for 51 and 53 yards, while he posted 154 yards on eight receptions.

Philadelphia, however, needs to buckle down after giving up 370 passing yards to the Redskins. The Eagles recorded only one sack, and could be hurting up front with the loss of former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Malik Jackson to a season-ending foot injury. Fellow defensive tackle Fletcher Cox (toe) and defensive end Derek Barnett (shoulder) were limited at practice Wednesday.

Two of Ryan's three career wins against the Eagles have come at home, but he's posted just an 84.1 passer rating in eight overall meetings. In those eight, he's completed 58.5 percent of his passes, with 15 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Atlanta placed 2019 first-round guard Chris Lindstrom on injured reserve due to a broken foot. Receiver Russell Gage is dealing with a concussion.

The Eagles last started 2-0 in 2016.

https://news.yahoo.com/falcons-look-end-skid-vs-012930475.html

Have you looked on ticketmaster? There's a sea of tickets for sale, I have a whole row behind me, that will likely be sold for less than face to Eagles fans in the lower bowl 30yl 12 rows up. PSL's ruined this game. The guys you sat with at Fulton Co. or the Dome, the REAL FANS, most wouldn't or couldn't cough up 10K to buy PSL's and then STs. They are at home watching on TV, saving a boatload of money, while we sit at the Benz surrounded by the opposing team's fans. We'll have to come to terms with the fact the only Football championship that will ever be won here is for soccer. And I hate soccer.

7 hours ago, Nobis_Ghost said:

Have you looked on ticketmaster? There's a sea of tickets for sale, I have a whole row behind me, that will likely be sold for less than face to Eagles fans in the lower bowl 30yl 12 rows up. PSL's ruined this game. The guys you sat with at Fulton Co. or the Dome, the REAL FANS, most wouldn't or couldn't cough up 10K to buy PSL's and then STs. They are at home watching on TV, saving a boatload of money, while we sit at the Benz surrounded by the opposing team's fans. We'll have to come to terms with the fact the only Football championship that will ever be won here is for soccer. And I hate soccer.

You don't know their individual situations or reasoning for selling the tickets. Can't assume they aren't real fans

gkgrimes and falconsd56 like this

They can beat the Eagles if they play 4 quarters of football. Not have a burst here and a burst there. The Eagles secondary is as suspect as they come. The vertical game better be on point, not a slew of short throws hoping to turn into huge plays.

Here's some more stats for you. The 2011 Falcons played the AFC South, and after being stomped in Chicago in week 1, won a close game at home against the Eagles in week 2, and ended up finishing 10-6 with a wildcard playoff berth. The 2019 Falcons, play the AFC South, got stomped in Minnesota in week 1, has a chance to win close against the Eagles in week 2. However, there's consequences for losing at home to the Eagles. The 2003 Falcons also the played the AFC South, lost at home to the Eagles, missed the playoffs at 5-11 but mainly due to Vick's injury. The 2009 Falcons, played the AFC East, lost badly at home to the Eagles and missed the playoffs at 9-7, but mainly due to Ryan's injury. So this game is a MUST win for the Falcons. Kirk Cousins only beating teams with losing records might apply to the Falcons if we fall to the Eagles this Sunday, and Matt Ryan has never started 0-2. Must win, or we're dead af. 

Edited by mqg96

53 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

You don't know their individual situations or reasoning for selling the tickets. Can't assume they aren't real fans

Why is it assumed that REAL fans would put up with such a crappy product on the field. Shouldn't REAL fans demand more instead of just being doormats for whatever crap they put on the field?

ParanoidAndroid likes this

Just now, MAD597 said:

Why is it assumed that REAL fans would put up with such a crappy product on the field. Shouldn't REAL fans demand more instead of just being doormats for whatever crap they put on the field?

Depends on the definition of a REAL fan in your mind. You probably consider yourself a real fan because all you ever do is moan and groan because things don't go your way. Amirite?

27 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Here's some more stats for you. The 2011 Falcons played the AFC South, and after being stomped in Chicago in week 1, won a close game at home against the Eagles in week 2, and ended up finishing 10-6 with a wildcard playoff berth. The 2019 Falcons, play the AFC South, got stomped in Minnesota in week 1, has a chance to win close against the Eagles in week 2. However, there's consequences for losing at home to the Eagles. The 2003 Falcons also the played the AFC South, lost at home to the Eagles, missed the playoffs at 5-11 but mainly due to Vick's injury. The 2009 Falcons, played the AFC East, lost badly at home to the Eagles and missed the playoffs at 9-7, but mainly due to Ryan's injury. So this game is a MUST win for the Falcons. Kirk Cousins only beating teams with losing records might apply to the Falcons if we fall to the Eagles this Sunday, and Matt Ryan has never started 0-2. Must win, or we're dead af. 

If emulating the 2011 season is somehow seen as some great outcome that is pretty sad, The Giants kicked our butt and we only scored 2 points in that game.

Not exactly goals we want to aim for.

Please stop with this "REAL FANS" that is just a bunch of crap people push at you to spend good money after bad. Its a sales pitch. How about put a fricking real football team on the field instead of the crap Quinn keeps trotting out every week. I have had it with all the hype and all the coach speak and players talk. If you don't show it the shut the crap up please. 

MAD597, Flying Falcon, mqg96 and 1 other like this

2 minutes ago, high impact said:

Please stop with this "REAL FANS" that is just a bunch of crap people push at you to spend good money after bad. Its a sales pitch. How about put a fricking real football team on the field instead of the crap Quinn keeps trotting out every week. I have had it with all the hype and all the coach speak and players talk. If you don't show it the shut the crap up please. 

Yep, those that just lap up whatever crap this team puts out no matter how disappointing is doing more harm to the team than those that demand some accountability and some form of heart and progress from the team.

vitaman and high impact like this

2 hours ago, FalconAge said:

How can you describe one game as a "skid" ?

I was literally going to say that. Didn't even read the article because of the title.

2 hours ago, Xfactor said:

I was amazed at how good some teams looked and how bad we looked just trying to do the basics.

And the thing that amazes me is young teams and young QBs having good games while our veteran team looks like amateurs. 

5 hours ago, MAD597 said:

With the way we looked in game one Skid is completely appropriate.

Skid implies you were moving and then something happened.   I would describe the Falcons last week as more of a stall.    Kinda like when you're driving a stick and take your foot off the clutch before giving any gas.     

rounz likes this

1 hour ago, SexualChocolate said:

Our fan base doesn't deserve an NFL franchise.

This NFL franchise doesn't deserve our fanbase

50 + years and the only time this team wins anything is so they can F it up in the most Epic and disappointing way soon after. We didn't even have back to back winning seasons till 2009, Both our SB appearances ended up for different reasons being completely embarrassing to the entire city then add all the Vick/Petrino crap and the entire decade of the 80's besides 1981 without a winning season.

The Falcons are easily one of the worst and most futile franchises in all of Pro sports. The city would be better off shipping them to St .Louis and starting and expansion team. Thier is NO REASON to EVER try and insult the fan base of a Franchise that has produced such horrible results over 50+ years. Blank should be happy anyone shows up to the games given their history.

9 hours ago, FalconAge said:

How can you describe one game as a "skid" ?

7 hours ago, arrogantBEAST said:

I was literally going to say that. Didn't even read the article because of the title.

After rallying from a 17-0 second-quarter deficit to beat Washington 32-27 last weekend and winning its last three meetings (including playoffs) with Atlanta, Philadelphia has reason to feel confident heading into this prime-time matchup. It also helps that the Falcons are still a little shell-shocked from an ugly 28-12 opening loss at Minnesota.

Then again, those three straight Eagles wins in this series came in Philadelphia, most recently 18-12 in the 2018 season opener.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif