Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think it will take Dan Quinn, Ben K and Dirk Koetter 2 seasons to reach the full potential of the defense, ST and offense?

42 posts in this topic

If Quinn is fired at the end of the season that’s the 3rd HC and 5 OC Ryan will have in 2020.

Vel and Fatboi pointed out that that the successful franchises keep their coaches and don’t swap the out every 3-5 years.  

If AB does that if we don’t make the playoffs and I’m Ryan, I retire.   

Edited by Godzilla1985

This entire front office and coaching staff including TD has this season. If we are bad this year which lools likely they all will be fired.

They arent getting 2 seasons

41 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

If Quinn is fired at the end of the season that’s the 3rd HC and 5 OC Ryan will have in 2020.

Vel and Fatboi pointed out that that the successful franchises keep their coaches and don’t swap the out every 3-5 years.  

It depends. If we have another year like sub .500 year, I think DQ is done. an 8-8 season and two losing seasons won’t cover him, when  combined with  the fact he has full control of the team and he replaced all the coordinators that he hired. The shanny leaving as out of his control. But Manuel and Sark were his guys. 

I say say it depends because if we have a sub .500 year because if a bunch of injuries, then maybe there is mercy. 

I saw the quote about Payton having 7-9 seasons, yet the saints kept him. But contextually, that’s an irrelevant comp to DQ. Payton has 5 winning seasons, including winning 13 games twice and a SB prior to his 3 straight 7-9 seasons. And as much as I detest the Saints, Payton has to deal with overhauling an aging roster and cap issues. Post the 3 x 7-9 seasons , he’s guided the Saints to an 11 win and 13 win season, and another appearance in the NFC championship game. In his first five years, Payton has one losing season and one .500 season with a team that was a joke for years.

as @Vandy will attest, Smitty and TD didn’t leave DQ with a horrid mess and the Falcons had a history of winning and being competitive under Smith, under than the 13 and 14 seasons. In short, DQ came into a far more stable and ready to win situation with the Falcons, than Payton did with the Saints.

Can we just hire Payton? 

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

It depends. If we have another year like sub .500 year, I think DQ is done. an 8-8 season and two losing seasons won’t cover him, when  combined with  the fact he has full control of the team and he replaced all the coordinators that he hired. The shanny leaving as out of his control. But Manuel and Sark were his guys. 

I say say it depends because if we have a sub .500 year because if a bunch of injuries, then maybe there is mercy. 

I saw the quote about Payton having 7-9 seasons, yet the saints kept him. But contextually, that’s an irrelevant comp to DQ. Payton has 5 winning seasons, including winning 13 games twice and a SB prior to his 3 straight 7-9 seasons. And as much as I detest the Saints, Payton has to deal with overhauling an aging roster and cap issues. Post the 3 x 7-9 seasons , he’s guided the Saints to an 11 win and 13 win season, and another appearance in the NFC championship game. In his first five years, Payton has one losing season and one .500 season with a team that was a joke for years.

as @Vandy will attest, Smitty and TD didn’t leave DQ with a horrid mess and the Falcons had a history of winning and being competitive under Smith, under than the 13 and 14 seasons. In short, DQ came into a far more stable and ready to win situation with the Falcons, than Payton did with the Saints.

Can we just hire Payton? 

The roster Quinn inherited from Smith outside of offensive skill players was not very good.  The defense had guys playing 1st string that should have been on practice squads. 

Do you really think constantly turning over coaches is a recipe for success??  The successful teams keep good coaches. Quinn is a VERY good coach. You don’t accidentally win an NFC Championship your 2nd year. You don’t accidentally go 3-2 in the post season.  

You fire him at the end of the season who are you bringing in to run the show?  You’re 2 stars on offense will be 35 and 31.  

10 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

When Koetter was announced as our new OC, I absolutely hated the selection. Koetter was notorious for only being able to beat the teams we should beat, while never able to consistently beat mid-tier to upper-teir teams. So far, it looks doesn’t look like anything has changed. 

This^^^^^^

42 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

The roster Quinn inherited from Smith outside of offensive skill players was not very good.  The defense had guys playing 1st string that should have been on practice squads. 

Do you really think constantly turning over coaches is a recipe for success??  The successful teams keep good coaches. Quinn is a VERY good coach. You don’t accidentally win an NFC Championship your 2nd year. You don’t accidentally go 3-2 in the post season.  

You fire him at the end of the season who are you bringing in to run the show?  You’re 2 stars on offense will be 35 and 31.  

Again, I stated that I’d evaluate after this season. The defense under DQ has been a bit sporadic and not dominant.

i didn’t say outright fire him lol 

stars being 35 and 31 is actually irrelevant, as both JJ and Matt have succeeded without DQ. He’s a defensive guy, who canned his whole staff. If we suck, if I were blank, I’d reevaluate his worth.

5 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

We just wasted 2 with Sark.

This is the real issue IMO.  We brought in a college OC, I expressed concern up front about this and it didn’t work out. That’s two years. It also siphoned DQs Defensive acumen away from the defense.

The horrible, ugly growing pains we all witnessed in game one this year are largely due to a massive number of changes in offseason. Few of our starting players on both sides of ball played many snaps with each other this preseason, and then we go into a loud dome game 1 against a veteran top defense. What did people expect? I knew it was going to be sloppy.

It took Shanny an entire season to get all players on offense clicking, but by his second year they were 7th in NFL history. In points scored.  The good news is we didn’t completely change systems, we just made major tweaks that shou”d be firing on all cylinders by mid season, just as we start our division games.  Defense should be tightened up within a couple of games.

3 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

That’s the point zilla.  Our window is closing for Ryan and Jones, and 5 years into quinn’s reign our defense still is in flux. 

Ryan having just 2 HC’s in 11 seasons is not a lot. I find it silly to say a team should never have changeover in coaches (I know that’s not exactly what you’re saying).  But even with a good coach their message can eventually gets stale..... see Eagles under Reid, Steelers now, panthers under Rivera.

Broncos replace Reeves with Shanahan and win 2 SBs, Tampa Bay finally wins a SB when they fire Dungy and hire Gruden, Indy the same (ironically) with Dungy. Denver did it again when Kubiak replaced Fox. 

Nobody’s saying fire DQ, but he does need to take this talented team to playoffs. And I believe he will. But if he doesn’t do that, it really doesn’t matter what anyone in here thinks, as Ryan/Julio aren’t the only windows closing. Arthur Blank’s is closing as well.  

This is a critical year for Dan Quinn’s falcons. 

rounz and Godzilla1985 like this

5 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

That really wasn't a correct assertion though.  Successful franchises (other than the Steelers) churn through coaches.  

The Cowboys were also used as an example, but it was a very poor one as they haven't won anything in almost 30 years.  

Keeping a coach is a lagging indicator of success, not a leading one.  

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

That’s the point zilla.  Our window is closing for Ryan and Jones, and 5 years into quinn’s reign our defense still is in flux. 

Ryan having just 2 HC’s in 11 seasons is not a lot. I find it silly to say a team should never have changeover in coaches (I know that’s not exactly what you’re saying).  But even with a good coach their message can eventually gets stale..... see Eagles under Reid, Steelers now, panthers under Rivera.

Broncos replace Reeves with Shanahan and win 2 SBs, Tampa Bay finally wins a SB when they fire Dungy and hire Gruden, Indy the same (ironically) with Dungy. Denver did it again when Kubiak replaced Fox. 

Nobody’s saying fire DQ, but he does need to take this talented team to playoffs. And I believe he will. But if he doesn’t do that, it really doesn’t matter what anyone in here thinks, as Ryan/Julio aren’t the only windows closing. Arthur Blank’s is closing as well.  

This is a critical year for Dan Quinn’s falcons. 

If they do fire DQ they BETTER make sure they have the right guy lined up. Don't just fire him to shut us up. I'd say it would have to be someone with head coaching experience and success. Maybe Tony Dungy if he was available. Something like that.

Vandy likes this

12 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If they do fire DQ they BETTER make sure they have the right guy lined up. Don't just fire him to shut us up. I'd say it would have to be someone with head coaching experience and success. Maybe Tony Dungy if he was available. Something like that.

To be clear, I don’t want him fired.

But he’s gotta coach better, as his seat is getting warmer.

7 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Continuity is huge

Godzilla1985 likes this

15 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Let me ask y'all an honest question.

What are the odds Kyle Shanahan ends up back in Atlanta? If Quinn puts up 8-8 and Kyle does some arrogant **** and gets fired, do you think AB makes the hire then?

The only way I see Shanahan ending up back in Atlanta is as a head coach. I don’t see him coming back as an OC. 

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

Ryan having just 2 HC’s in 11 seasons is not a lot. I find it silly to say a team should never have changeover in coaches 

Broncos replace Reeves with Shanahan and win 2 SBs, Tampa Bay finally wins a SB when they fire Dungy.

Put this way it certainly changes the entire argument in regards to Quinn’s longevity in Atlanta. You bring an interesting point mentioning 11 years under 2 coaches isn’t many. Sure isn’t!!! 

I’m on the Quinn hate wagon right now because of his hard head! I just want this man to work with what he has. There is no **** reason this team should have started in the fashion they did this year or years before! Talent out the rear!!!!!!!

I do believe he has the season to straighten up or he will be searching for new employment. At this point I would have zero objections if Kyle was offered head coach next year, after Quinn’s tenure is exhausted.

1 hour ago, SoldMySoul said:

Put this way it certainly changes the entire argument in regards to Quinn’s longevity in Atlanta. You bring an interesting point mentioning 11 years under 2 coaches isn’t many. Sure isn’t!!! 

I’m on the Quinn hate wagon right now because of his hard head! I just want this man to work with what he has. There is no **** reason this team should have started in the fashion they did this year or years before! Talent out the rear!!!!!!!

I do believe he has the season to straighten up or he will be searching for new employment. At this point I would have zero objections if Kyle was offered head coach next year, after Quinn’s tenure is exhausted.

I think Quinn doesn't prepare us for week one properly because of preseason Julio, Freeman and others don't play because we do want injuries.