Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think it will take Dan Quinn, Ben K and Dirk Koetter 2 seasons to reach the full potential of the defense, ST and offense?

42 posts in this topic

Do you think it will take until the 2020 season for Dirk Koetter and Dan Quinn to get the offense and defense exactly where they want them to be? Especially on the offensive side of the ball I'm sure there are a few players Dirk Koetter would like to add to fit his scheme. Dan Quinn may need an extra year as he has switched things up a little bit. Same thing with Ben K on special teams. I'm not saying we shouldn't expect a 9-10 win season and a playoff birth this season. But this team may be much more likely to be clicking on a cylinders next season when all 3 of our coordinators have had a 2 off-seasons to work with and draft talent and in Free Agency to fit their scheme. What do you guys think? 

3 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

This staff doesn't have two or three years to gel. If there is not at least a playoff berth this season then this whole staff is going to be shown the state line and probably Dimi and staff too. Arthur is 77 years old and he wants his Championship an I'm 60 and want him to get it.

This^^

4 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

This staff doesn't have two or three years to gel. If there is not at least a playoff berth this season then this whole staff is going to be shown the state line and probably Dimi and staff too. Arthur is 77 years old and he wants his Championship an I'm 60 and want him to get it.

Yeah this staff has 1 year.

Typically when a Head Coach gets rid of all his coordinators the next person to go is the HC.

Quinn knows it’s put up or shut up time.

3 minutes ago, Lowndesfalc said:

That very well could happen. However, anyone that is brought in is likely to need a troubled period to get things headed in the right direction. Who would we get to replace DQ that could win now? I'm not saying this person doesn't exist, but I don't know who it would be.

Lowndesfalc likes this

11 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah this staff has 1 year.

Typically when a Head Coach gets rid of all his coordinators the next person to go is the HC.

Quinn knows it’s put up or shut up time.

Yep. Not only did he get rid of em, he didn't trust anyone else to run the D, with his job on the line. 

8 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

That very well could happen. However, anyone that is brought in is likely to need a troubled period to get things headed in the right direction. Who would we get to replace DQ that could win now? I'm not saying this person doesn't exist, but I don't know who it would be.

Lincoln Riley would be my pick, if he takes it. Should definitely get interviewed. Could be a more player friendly version of Shannahan. 

Blank is getting old and will not keep Quinn around another year unless this team produces a ring this year (or maybe very close to it?).  Quinn likely knows this and removed any chance of a 2-year development by taking over the defense himself and bringing in an experienced OC that many of the players already knew.

4dabirds likes this

1 minute ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Let me ask y'all an honest question.

What are the odds Kyle Shanahan ends up back in Atlanta? If Quinn puts up 8-8 and Kyle does some arrogant **** and gets fired, do you think AB makes the hire then?

I actually thought about that.

If Shanahan was available and there was an opening you better believe he’d get an interview.

4 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

What are the odds Kyle Shanahan ends up back in Atlanta? If Quinn puts up 8-8 and Kyle does some arrogant **** and gets fired, do you think AB makes the hire then?

I truly do believe he would leave a rebuilding SF, to have an offense that he knows is made to break records. And remember, he didn't have Riley to play with. 

30 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

It would probably depend on what Thomas Dimitroff and Matt Ryan thought. But I think our offense is going to be fine. I am more concerned about the run defense.

25 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

Ryan and JJ are aging quickly.  They maybe have 4 years together top.  I’m also getting old (I’ve been a fan since 74).  It’s tome to freaking win,

It would help a lot if Tom Brady and Drew Brees would retire or play their age.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you think it will take until the 2020 season for Dirk Koetter and Dan Quinn to get the offense and defense exactly where they want them to be? Especially on the offensive side of the ball I'm sure there are a few players Dirk Koetter would like to add to fit his scheme. Dan Quinn may need an extra year as he has switched things up a little bit. Same thing with Ben K on special teams. I'm not saying we shouldn't expect a 9-10 win season and a playoff birth this season. But this team may be much more likely to be clicking on a cylinders next season when all 3 of our coordinators have had a 2 off-seasons to work with and draft talent and in Free Agency to fit their scheme. What do you guys think? 

You’re being way too generous, Quinn has established a real defensive identity as of now and in my opinion it won’t take two years more like two more games. We gotta see what teams are doing different and adjust but Quinn will have our defense top notch. 

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Unlike many, I’m not that concerned about the horrible showing against Vikings being an indication of the season.

The level of mistakes were what I believe to be anomalous for multiple reasons, mostly all the changes combined with playing a stout veteran defense on the road after getting behind due to turnovers and put in passing situations in a hyper loud dome in game one. Defense just needs more snaps to fix mistakes, I think that happens quickly. 

This season is set up nicely for us. We should be firing on all cylinders and lethal on offense by mid season when we start playing division games. 

Don’t forget many wanted Shanahan fired after his first year, only to make NFL history his second with top 7 scoring offense of all time. It didn’t start off like that, nor did all the changes we made in offseason start off like that.

vel likes this

5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Unlike many, I’m not that concerned about the horrible showing against Vikings being an indication of the season.

The level of mistakes were what I believe to be anomalous for multiple reasons, mostly all the changes combined with play8mg a stout veteran defense on the road in a hyper loud dome in game one. 

This season is set up nicely for us. We should be firing on all cylinders and lethal on offense by mid season when we start playing division games. I expect our defense to get really good really fast.

Don’t forget many wanted Shanahan fired after his first year, only to make NFL history his second with top 7 scoring offense of all time. It didn’t start off like that, nor did all the changes we made in offseason start off like that.

I just looked back at some of the highlights of the Vikings game and Matt Ryan looked sharp for much of the game. The turnovers I chalk up to first game rust. My only concern right now is the run defense. 

gazoo likes this

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I just looked back at some of the highlights of the Vikings game and Matt Ryan looked sharp for much of the game. The turnovers I chalk up to first game rust. My only concern right now is the run defense. 

The interior of the DL looked to play well, it was really more edge containment issues than anything.  Everyone looked rusty including our LBs and safeties. Our defense will be able to communicate here at home better, that loud dome added a lot of problems with players who hadn’t planned up with each other much in preseason.

Thus, I think it can be cleaned up rather quickly. Once they play more snaps together a loud dome wouldn’t be such a problem.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

We don't have all these years. We just wasted 2 with Sark.

We have incredible talent and time is running out. The only deliverable that matters for an NFL coach -- especially one given all this talent -- is to win now.

There are coaches who can do it (not many, but they do exist). If Quinn can't do it, we need to find someone who can.

Flying Falcon likes this