Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ergo Proxy

Video review of Week 1

20 posts in this topic

Very good review of the game, thanks for sharing it Ergo.

You know I always feel like the Falcons play a top defense every single year as the first game, we never get some cupcake warmup game like the Dolphins or some ****. Always starting out against top opponents. Installed a semi-new defense along with brand new coaches in new schemes for the offense probably does not help. 

Ryan also seems to play like dog **** in week 1 games, I have no idea what it is but pretty interesting to see him do it over and over. Always bounces back in week 2 though and so on. 

I know seeing this team **** up and play so badly left feeling everyone with a terrible taste in their mouths with high expectations and to come out and play like that, its total crap.

However I feel like these mistakes can be fixed, we have talented players, its the mental side and rust that seems to be getting in the way. 

Many will probably say thats why you have TC and PreSeason but I disagree, you wont be pulling out your playbook during preseason so you wont know what will happen until the real season comes along. I wouldnt panic, I think the team just needs some time to gel and things will turn around, there is too much talent here for it to fail, God I hope I am right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question. How come we have trouble getting Julio the ball compared to other teams with even less weapons? Julio can't be the only number 1 that gets double or triple covered. Some how Drew Brees always finds a way to get Kamara and Micheal Thomas the ball often despite lacking other threats. Antonio brown always feasted in Pittsburgh. DeAndre Hopkins made plays against lattimore in week one. Yet we have trouble getting Julio the ball. Im sick of the decoy excuses. We're driving a Ferrari like a Camry. I don't get why. 

 

Kyle was good at not only using Julio as a decoy but also freeing him up very often. Is it a coordinator or qb issue? I don't think other teams shut our offense down. I think we are the ones keeping Julio and the rest of our weapons in check.  

 

Can the knowledgeable x's and o's guys truly explain why we're are always the exception? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

I have a question. How come we have trouble getting Julio the ball compared to other teams with even less weapons? Julio can't be the only number 1 that gets double or triple covered. Some how Drew Brees always finds a way to get Kamara and Micheal Thomas the ball often despite lacking other threats. Antonio brown always feasted in Pittsburgh. DeAndre Hopkins made plays against lattimore in week one. Yet we have trouble getting Julio the ball. Im sick of the decoy excuses. We're driving a Ferrari like a Camry. I don't get why. 

 

Kyle was good at not only using Julio as a decoy but also freeing him up very often. Is it a coordinator or qb issue? I don't think other teams shut our offense down. I think we are the ones keeping Julio and the rest of our weapons in check.  

 

Can the knowledgeable x's and o's guys truly explain why we're are always the exception? 

I wouldn't say the Falcons have ever had trouble getting the ball to Julio when you look at the numbers he's put up, but I see where you're going.

There isn't one answer, but look at it like this.  Houston had the 4th most rushing attempts in the league last year -- and they ran for the 8th most yards.  Dennis Allen Monday night made a few strange calls, namely going Cover-0 -- that means no safety in the middle of the field and blitzing everyone that gave up a few big ones.  That TD to put them against was against cover-0.

Same with the Saints.  They had the 5th most rushing attempts in the league last year and the passing attempts fell to 23rd in the league.  When you can run that well the defense has to dedicate more resources to stopping your run game.  That leads to simpler coverages, which leads to easier looks for Thomas to go against.  You can't throw a whole lot of brackets at one receiver if you have to stack the box.

Pittsburgh always had weapons around AB.  LeVeon.  Ju-Ju.  Even without LeVeon last season he had Ju-Ju on the other side of him putting up over 1400 yards.

When Kyle was here it wasn't about getting the ball to Julio.  It was about getting the ball to everyone and balance.  We had the #5 rushing game in the league in '16.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't have mattered if Jake picked up his man, 77's man would have got Ryan half a second later..the entire line was caught sleeping imo.. Pin it on Jake if ya want, but imo it was a complete example of being unprepared 

high impact likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Wouldn't have mattered if Jake picked up his man, 77's man would have got Ryan half a second later..the entire line was caught sleeping imo.. Pin it on Jake if ya want, but imo it was a complete example of being unprepared 

So you say it was coaching? Well if you listen to Quinn it was the players fault. He had them prepared. Will see the Sunday. With the players the Falcons have we should see every team they face have to fight hard to win. Instead we see too many times they wipe the floor with the Falcons. And we hear the same thing after the game. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I wouldn't say the Falcons have ever had trouble getting the ball to Julio when you look at the numbers he's put up, but I see where you're going.

There isn't one answer, but look at it like this.  Houston had the 4th most rushing attempts in the league last year -- and they ran for the 8th most yards.  Dennis Allen Monday night made a few strange calls, namely going Cover-0 -- that means no safety in the middle of the field and blitzing everyone that gave up a few big ones.  That TD to put them against was against cover-0.

Same with the Saints.  They had the 5th most rushing attempts in the league last year and the passing attempts fell to 23rd in the league.  When you can run that well the defense has to dedicate more resources to stopping your run game.  That leads to simpler coverages, which leads to easier looks for Thomas to go against.  You can't throw a whole lot of brackets at one receiver if you have to stack the box.

Pittsburgh always had weapons around AB.  LeVeon.  Ju-Ju.  Even without LeVeon last season he had Ju-Ju on the other side of him putting up over 1400 yards.

When Kyle was here it wasn't about getting the ball to Julio.  It was about getting the ball to everyone and balance.  We had the #5 rushing game in the league in '16.  

Thanks for the insightful response my good sir. That's what makes Julio that much more amazing to me. He still puts up amazing numbers despite being handcuffed by inconsistent run game or lack of one especially against playoff caliber defenses, bad deep balls from Matt Ryan, and lack of 50/50 balls or even back shoulder throws in the red zone or within the drive from Matt. Iwas happy that Matt threw to a spot to allow Calvin to make a play for that td catch but hate it that it takes the game being over or the teams back being against the wall before he makes those throws because he is very capable. Why do we get to the red zone only to have Luke stocker as the main person to target expecting him to make an outstanding catch when we have sanu, Calvin, and Julio?  If Julio was playing with Ben, Brady, rivers or Brees, I don't think we would be arguing who the number 1 receiver is right now. He would have broken the 2000 receiving yards milestone multiple times. That's why it's frustrating to see him taken out of the game too easily because our run game hasn't been the same since Shanahan left. Maybe im wrong but watching Falcons offense frustrates me especially when I see other offenses doing more with less. It's always almost feast or famine with our offense. 

 

Correct me if I'm wrong but even though Kyle designed everyone to get the ball, he was one of the few coordinators I was able to watch, with my limited understanding of the game, truly confuse defenses with Julio as a decoy but still made him as explosive as we've ever seen him. He made Matt work on parts of his game the past coordinators didn't have him work on. I remember several games where Matt threw at least a few 50/50 balls to allow his receivers to make plays in the red zone. That's the deadliest ive ever seen Matt. He never JUST run what Matt likes. He pushed him outside of his comfort zone to elevate his play.

I am indifferent towards Dirk being back.  I hope he has success but I cringe everytime I hear every coordinator hired say 'we are going to run all of Ryan's favorite plays and what he is comfortable with.' I don't know if we become very predictable too the extent that the offense sputters enough to get the coordinator fired.

I hope the run game takes off. I like Freeman I just don't know if he is that back for mularkey run blocking scheme. Mike has always had bigger sized backs than Ito (even though he ran well game 1) and Freeman.  I miss Turner. Hope Qadree can turn out the be, at least, half the player he was.

How do you feel about the Dirk hiring? I don't think the board ever heard your take?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShadyRef said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but even though Kyle designed everyone to get the ball, he was one of the few coordinators I was able to watch, with my limited understanding of the game, truly confuse defenses with Julio as a decoy but still made him as explosive as we've ever seen him. He made Matt work on parts of his game the past coordinators didn't have him work on. I remember several games where Matt threw at least a few 50/50 balls to allow his receivers to make plays in the red zone. That's the deadliest ive ever seen Matt. He never JUST run what Matt likes. He pushed him outside of his comfort zone to elevate his play.

There's a lot of truth to this.  

 

 

I am indifferent towards Dirk being back.  I hope he has success but I cringe everytime I hear every coordinator hired say 'we are going to run all of Ryan's favorite plays and what he is comfortable with.' I don't know if we become very predictable too the extent that the offense sputters enough to get the coordinator fired.

Every coach coming into a new situation with an established QB -- even a not-so-established-QB is going to want to run stuff his player is comfortable with.  We haven't had anyone come in here and say we're only going to run all of Matt's favorite plays.  The goal has always been to find a happy medium.  Some coaches bend more than others.  Koetter the first time around basically kept Mularkey's offense in place and married his concepts into what we were already running.  That's a big reason why the offense hit the ground running in 2012.

Now Kyle... :ninja:

I hope the run game takes off. I like Freeman I just don't know if he is that back for mularkey run blocking scheme. Mike has always had bigger sized backs than Ito (even though he ran well game 1) and Freeman.  I miss Turner. Hope Qadree can turn out the be, at least, half the player he was.

Mularkey believes in big boy football, but the blocking schemes he always ran were about a little more than just the size of the backs.

 

1 hour ago, ShadyRef said:

How do you feel about the Dirk hiring? I don't think the board ever heard your take?

I thought Dirk's hire was very odd because at the end of the season, DQ emphasized finding a coordinator who runs the ball A LOT.  Then it turns out that he still wants to run Kyle's offense.  Just off the strength of those two things, I didn't get it.

But I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.  Kutty did good work around here the first time around, even though I didn't like the way the running game completely fell off the map -- that wasn't totally his fault, but still.

End of the day, I don't hate the hire, but I wasn't all that excited.  Dirk is a pro.  I've seen him put together some dynamic aerial attacks.  He and Matt have a history, but I don't like hiring a guy with a defined offensive identity, then making learn and then run someone else's offense.  You wouldn't hire Bruce Arians, who is all about the vertical passing game to come in and run a WCO that's all about short passing.  You wouldn't hire Kyle Shanahan and tell him to run an Air Coryell offense built around gap scheme blocking and 4 verticals.

You hire Kyle Shanahan to run Kyle Shanahan's offense.  You hire Bruce Arians to be Bruce Arians.

Hopefully, it'll work out this time.  Kutty subjugated his system last time around.  Hopefully he'll be able to re-integrate more of his stuff as the season goes on, because Sunday looked like a mishmash of stuff that had no definition to it.

JDaveG, rounz and ShadyRef like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0