Unintentional Grounding

Falcons Film Breakdown - Vic vs Vikings

217 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, vel said:

Neal was slow on most of his reads. Slow on getting outside. Was bodied on a couple outside runs. He looked bad more than good. 

Debo wasn't terrible. He was trying to cover for people though. Never a good thing. 

Also looked to me like he is still working through the mental part of his injury.  He seemed timid a couple times out there like he isn't fully trusting that knee just yet.  It'll come.

Very good video.

I still think Beasley should've finished that sack. But I take back the mocking I participated in earlier when someone cleverly called it "Unnecessary softness." Just getting there was great on his part, and the NFL has overly protected QBs, and he still forced an incompletion.

VTCrunkler and Schwarzwald like this

7 minutes ago, athell said:

Thanks for the video @Unintentional Grounding, lots of good stuff there.

I have to call out 2 things though:

1st play review, the pass to Cook out of the backfield.  It was a great read and recognition by Vic...no disputing that.  I appreciate how he kept Cook in front of him...but there were 5 yards of separation between the 2 when Cook caught it and instead of closing, Vic chose to side step laterally in what ended up being a 6 yard gain.  To me, one of Vic's biggest issues is open field tackling and this may be the result.  Just contain, keep it in front of you, don't make a mistake...but would love to have seen him try to close that gap a bit.

I completely completely completely disagree on that non sack play.  Yes, it was a good play, but if he finishes that is a great and potentially game breaking play.  He did great to fight through the hold (absolutely was a hold), had a clear shot at a QB outside of the tackle box, and let up (no doubt for fear of penalty but still...) what could have been an 8 yard sack and potential forced fumble.  I get that the net result was a positive, it was loss of down, but that good play could have been a huge play if he finishes.  We see blind side sacks every week go unflagged so I'm not sure why you are so sure a clean hit on Kirk would have drawn anything...

Other than that, great stuff and very promising looks for Vic.  Hope this continues.

That was actually a smart thing to do. Remember, there's no help coming. Vic is 1-on-1 with a high caliber RB in Cook. At that angle, had Vic tried to close him down full speed Cook could have simply sidestepped him and used his forward momentum against him. Instead, Vic used the sideline to his advantage and took away Cook's cut back lane, limiting him to no gain.

I agree about the non-sack. Flag or not, Vic should have drilled him. Get inside Cousins' head. Speed up his clock and make him rush his reads and throws.

Schwarzwald and athell like this

Just now, No.11 said:

That was actually a smart thing to do. Remember, there's no help coming. Vic is 1-on-1 with a high caliber RB in Cook. At that angle, had Vic tried to close him down full speed Cook could have simply sidestepped him and used his forward momentum against him. Instead, Vic used the sideline to his advantage and took away Cook's cut back lane, limiting him to no gain.

I agree about the non-sack. Flag or not, Vic should have drilled him. Get inside Cousins' head.

Yeah, that is nitpicky I admit, and like I eluded to he isn't the greatest with open field tackling so the end result was probably for the best.  Vic closes, Cook spins, and 6 turns into a lot more...

2 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

This sucks. Vic sucks. Why Cook ran for over 100 yards if Vic was so good? Yeah, yeah, yeah....

It's actually some good review, even if we disagree a little on some...:)

Flying Falcon likes this

Just now, Flying Falcon said:

But Vic still sucks. For a 13 milli one trick pony. He sucks.

You know how I feel about him, but I also realize he is on this roster for at least this year so I really want him to do well.  Try to keep an open mind bro...I know it's hard lol...but film review is always a good thing so check it out.

12 minutes ago, athell said:

You know how I feel about him, but I also realize he is on this roster for at least this year so I really want him to do well.  Try to keep an open mind bro...I know it's hard lol...but film review is always a good thing so check it out.

Man, look; ain't no 1 week film review of a 5th year player gonna convince me otherwise what this guy only did 1 year outta 5. The guy sucks. Vikings RBs ran for almost 200 and Vic was out on the field. He's part of the defense, so he's part of the problem when the Vikings RB had those yards running off the edge, not up the middle. He sucks.

Peteshweddy, vitaman, athell and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, Flying Falcon said:

Man, look; ain't no 1 week film review of a 5th year player gonna convince me otherwise what this guy only did 1 year outta 5. The guy sucks. Vikings RBs ran for almost 200 and Vic was out on the field. He's part of the defense, so he's part of the problem when the Vikings RB had those yards running off the edge, not up the middle. He sucks.

:lol:

Still love you and your promptness with the wall lean pics...

Flying Falcon likes this

This guy quits on SEVERAL plays and I suppose believe he's good now since someone posts a vid showing he's playing LB? Hll naw!!!! When he has to cover Kimara out the backfield, let's see if this vid comes back to bite someone in the as@.

Peteshweddy likes this

19 minutes ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

Well...... Instead of building up our players we tare them down to really put a fire under their butts.... Classic Falcons fans:D

"Tare" who down? Vic was torn down when he was drafted. The guy doesn't have "IT". We have been through this time and time again. You can put him on the line, at LB, at SS, etc.... and what you will get EVERY SINGLE TIME IS......DsXrjv9VAAAvqxv.jpg

He don't have it, so it don't matter. The only place I can imagine he would succeed is off this team, cause I think he would even fail just by sitting on the bench.

There is one good thing though, Quinn doubled down on him, so he would be part of the reason that Quinn be let go. So I guess that is another thing he's good for.

25 minutes ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

Well...... Instead of building up our players we tare them down to really put a fire under their butts.... Classic Falcons fans:D

For years we had to hear people on this board hype and build up people like, Worrilow, Beirmann, Akeem Dent, Jamal Anderson, Bartu, etc.... Only a few called it like it was and when they did, they where labeled as "Not a true fan". Well, maybe some of us can spot a person impersonating a football player quicker than others.

And if a coach has to "scheme" a player to get sacks or tackles, then 99% of the time that player sucks. If that player can't beat his man 1 on 1 75% of the time, then 99% of the time that player suck. If a player gets driven out of the picture 80% of the time and thrown to the ground the other 20% of the time by his guy alone, then 99% of the time that player suck.

The first play is a prime example of Vic’s love of playing two hand touch and not attacking the runner... Vic is fast, there is no excuse to not close down on cook take space away from him and attack his a**.  Nope, not Vic... he prefers to always, always let the runner dictate what is going to happen.  Your choice of showing the opposite angle of the Vic wuss out does help show the speed of the game but that is not/not the soft mentality I want in my top paid defender.  Unfortunately, I failed to record the game, but in watching the game there were several plays that I watched Vic’s lack of hustle and a couple of plays where he literally gave up.  One I recall him slapping the ground while the runner was still running, and there was..... Vic face down on the ground... it was not a break away run, the guy was tackled just a few yards down field.  I agree with others that I want the guy to succeed.  I want him to do great things.  But he Is soft as charmin.  Picking out two ok plays does not make up for his lack of intensity, lack of killer instinct that we want and need on our defense.  Trust me, I would lovvvvvvve for Vic to prove me wrong... but at this point, he is who he is....

2 hours ago, Unintentional Grounding said:

Tough to say... After playing this Vikings defense I think they'll sort some of the kinks out that were really mental issues.

Dirk koetter actually had a great game plan from the second quarter on. and the offensive line just could not execute as well as the tight ends who messed up on a lot of plays.

There's actually a play where Justin Hardy catches a ball and takes it down the field for a big gain ,but at the start of that play you see Calvin running down the field with his hands half way up in the air like he's saying "I don't know what the play is so I'm just going to run down the field".

You actually said what the issue was because that’s what I was saying since preseason. Takk has a knack for abandoning his assignment to try and make the quick tackle in the backfield. It worked against Miami in pre season but cook is a quick change of pace back and if you get too flat up field he’s gonna get outside of you. And that’s in base. If takk plays disciplined against the run this defense will be pretty darn good. The defense didn’t reqlly get beat up like some want to believe. It was a few plays that the edge wasn’t set where Dalvin got outside and did damage. And like you said the offense put the defense in bad spots. Don’t expect it to be like that against Philly. I’ve been saying VB is gonna have a good year simply because he’s playing from a 2 point stance. Takk will as well. 

Schwarzwald likes this

23 minutes ago, Peteshweddy said:

The first play is a prime example of Vic’s love of playing two hand touch and not attacking the runner... Vic is fast, there is no excuse to not close down on cook take space away from him and attack his a**.  Nope, not Vic... he prefers to always, always let the runner dictate what is going to happen.  Your choice of showing the opposite angle of the Vic wuss out does help show the speed of the game but that is not/not the soft mentality I want in my top paid defender.  Unfortunately, I failed to record the game, but in watching the game there were several plays that I watched Vic’s lack of hustle and a couple of plays where he literally gave up.  One I recall him slapping the ground while the runner was still running, and there was..... Vic face down on the ground... it was not a break away run, the guy was tackled just a few yards down field.  I agree with others that I want the guy to succeed.  I want him to do great things.  But he Is soft as charmin.  Picking out two ok plays does not make up for his lack of intensity, lack of killer instinct that we want and need on our defense.  Trust me, I would lovvvvvvve for Vic to prove me wrong... but at this point, he is who he is....

He got rubbed on the play. I mean that’s the first thing you see. The wr rubbing him and in that split second a speed back like cook is gonna get a few yards. I know if it was me I’d definitely get some extra yards. I ran a 4.3 and could put you on skates. Let a defender get slowed down for a micro second and I was gone. 

Schwarzwald likes this