NFL Draft 2021 and Matt Ryan

95 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Zone#7 said:

No this isn't a clickbait let's all bash Matt Ryan, but this draft is a long ways off I know. So I'm more asking for opinions this should be the draft that Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields come out. 

Would you tank for them or trade a King's ransom for them? 

I'm only asking now cause by the time they take the field Matt will be 36 years old. I honestly don't know if he'll play into his 40s like Brady and Brees. 

Edit: Thought this would be clear, but my fault if we do this the person comes and sits learns from Matt Ryan. For couple seasons.

First of all, this is fields first full season. What has he proven? There are much better qb options possibly coming out.

Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

Ehh, I wouldn't call our 2016 coaching "atrocious". And Mike Smith doesn't get enough credit for building the foundation of this franchise. Kyle Shanahan was universally praised by everyone for his playcalling that year. 

Matt should have at least 1 ring. But I don't think that justifies keeping him until he's 40. Flacco, Romo, Favre, etc.. were all good QBs, it was just time to pass the torch. It's not quite that time for Ryan yet, but it's getting closer than people think.

More our SB 2nd half coaching...it failed us in the most critical point of the season.

Mike Smith built success sure, but that team, that roster, should have done more don't you think?

I also think Matt should be around as long as he proves he is one of the best QBs in the league.  If he is still producing ala Brees and Brady, no need to move on.  There is some nuance there though, I get it.

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 minute ago, Williamb said:

First of all, this is fields first full season. What has he proven? There are much better qb options possibly coming out.

The potential of those 2 QBs are off the charts he hasn't proven anything yet of course, but in time that will be put to rest.

Just now, Zone#7 said:

The potential of those 2 QBs are off the charts he hasn't proven anything yet of course, but in time that will be put to rest.

Potential don't win games...

Dan Quinn has the potential to bring us a dominant defense.  Vic Beasley has the potential to be a 20 sack guy.  Devonta Freeman has the potential to rush for 1,500.  Leaf, Russell, Manziel, it goes on and on...they all had potential.  Matt left potential behind his rookie year.

1 minute ago, athell said:

More our SB 2nd half coaching...it failed us in the most critical point of the season.

Mike Smith built success sure, but that team, that roster, should have done more don't you think?

I also think Matt should be around as long as he proves he is one of the best QBs in the league.  If he is still producing ala Brees and Brady, no need to move on.  There is some nuance there though, I get it.

Here's one thing I will give to Ryan. He's done better than what most QBs would have if they had to deal with the revolving door of OCs that Ryan has. I don't think I'll ever understand the infatuation with defensive-minded HCs -- especially when the side of the ball they're supposed to coach up is almost always mediocre. At least Mike Smith had that bend-don't-break and highly disciplined but untalented defense in 2012. Quinn's defenses have just always been flat-out mediocre.

Ryan absolutely deserves consistent playcalling. It's sad he's never gotten it.

Also, I'm biased because I love QBs that have that homerun deep-ball potential and Ryan's deep ball has always been sorely lacking.

athell likes this

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Potential don't win games...

Dan Quinn has the potential to bring us a dominant defense.  Vic Beasley has the potential to be a 20 sack guy.  Devonta Freeman has the potential to rush for 1,500.  Leaf, Russell, Manziel, it goes on and on...they all had potential.  Matt left potential behind his rookie year.

It doesn't, but you at least get the chance to shoot your shot. 

23 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

He was still pretty good though, arguably top 5 some years. Bad OL and injuries stopped him reaching the Manning/Brady/Brees conversations but he clearly had the talent to hang with those guys (you could argue from a tools perspective he had more talent than any of them). If you need a QB and get a chance to take a guy like that you do it in a heartbeat.

No doubt, IF you get the chance. I just don’t think you make your own opportunity via trade or tank (never tank) to get that guy unless your team is pretty good otherwise. Do that and you’re doing exactly what the colts did to Luck... ruin him. 

athell likes this

2 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

It doesn't, but you at least get the chance to shoot your shot. 

You get a chance to shoot your shot due to the fact that every team gets 7 picks every single year.  No need to give up a ton of them for "potential" for the sake of "shooting your shot" lol

Godzilla1985 likes this

5 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Here's one thing I will give to Ryan. He's done better than what most QBs would have if they had to deal with the revolving door of OCs that Ryan has. I don't think I'll ever understand the infatuation with defensive-minded HCs -- especially when the side of the ball they're supposed to coach up is almost always mediocre. At least Mike Smith had that bend-don't-break and highly disciplined but untalented defense in 2012. Quinn's defenses have just always been flat-out mediocre.

Ryan absolutely deserves consistent playcalling. It's sad he's never gotten it.

Also, I'm biased because I love QBs that have that homerun deep-ball potential and Ryan's deep ball has always been sorely lacking.

Yeah, I hear you.  Matt is like a good olinemen, he just produces.  Nothing flashy.  He just goes out, does his job, and is underappreciated.

I'm with you though, with our next QB I would absolutely love one of these Watson/Jackson/Mahomes type guys aka the anti-Matt lol

My thing is, if you look at ga QBs, you got fromme and eason coming out. You also have hurts and tua. No argument about Lawrence's potential, just know that Brady was 6th rounder( I think) and Wilson was 4t rounder. Don't change your whole team to feature a scatback qb. That would probably cause you to tank for 2-3 years.

18 minutes ago, athell said:

So to your point...has New Orleans, New England or Pittsburgh tanked or sent the farm of picks to anyone to grab the heir apparents of those qb's?

I don’t agree with tanking but if we are picking first or 2nd in 2021 that means we sucked... not everything is on the qb but teams with “Elite” QBs don’t pick too 5 unless the qb hurt so we should definitely pick Fields or Lawrence if in position to and to be fair Brees Big Ben and Brady all have rings .. unfortunately for us Matt doesn’t 

17 minutes ago, athell said:

No reason Ryan can’t play until 40. Drew Brees didn’t throw a pass over 16 air yards until the last drive of the game Monday. 

Buddy’s arm is DUN

athell likes this

4 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

I don’t agree with tanking but if we are picking first or 2nd in 2021 that means we sucked... not everything is on the qb but teams with “Elite” QBs don’t pick too 5 unless the qb hurt so we should definitely pick Fields or Lawrence if in position to and to be fair Brees Big Ben and Brady all have rings .. unfortunately for us Matt doesn’t 

That's kinda the point though.  Unless Matt goes down, we won't be 1 or 2.  So it would take tanking or a trade the farm scenario which again...no thanks.

2 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

If we are bottom feeders again next season I see us being in position to take Fields or Lawrence and we will be hiring someone like Lincoln Riley for HC. Would usher is a new-era of Falcons football that will actually be exciting to watch again. Ryan will not be with this team in his 40s. 

This. If Quinn doesn't get his head out of his rear, he's gone this year and we go all in for Riley. Please, no more of these bum defensive guru's. Then we go after Fields or Lawrence. 

athell and D.B.N. like this

35 minutes ago, sdogg said:

This. If Quinn doesn't get his head out of his rear, he's gone this year and we go all in for Riley. Please, no more of these bum defensive guru's. Then we go after Fields or Lawrence. 

This is what I'd be in agreement with. I'm not trying to intentionally kick Ryan to the curb, but from what I hear about these two it's really hard to pass up given the chance. 

As for Eason, Tua, and Hurts not sold I think Eason will do well, but Tua just screaming overrated(could be completely wrong) 

28 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

This is what I'd be in agreement with. I'm not trying to intentionally kick Ryan to the curb, but from what I hear about these two it's really hard to pass up given the chance. 

As for Eason, Tua, and Hurts not sold I think Eason will do well, but Tua just screaming overrated(could be completely wrong) 

Eason has the tools, but he's also got a few problems in his game as well. His success will greatly depend on who his head coach ends up being.

I'm not an analyst but I don't think Tua or Hurts do that well in the NFL.  Lawrence is the only one I feel will do well regardless of which team drafts him. Which is why I need him here and not in Tampa Bay lmao.

Smiler11 and athell like this

Well, if Ryan suffers a season-ending injury in 2020 and the Falcons somehow get the #1 pick in the NFL draft. I would take a long look at Trevor Lawrence, especially if Ryan's play regressed.

16 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Eason has the tools, but he's also got a few problems in his game as well. His success will greatly depend on who his head coach ends up being.

I'm not an analyst but I don't think Tua or Hurts do that well in the NFL.  Lawrence is the only one I feel will do well regardless of which team drafts him. Which is why I need him here and not in Tampa Bay lmao.

I'm definitely there with you. Like I said it's speculation, but if I had the shot at Fields or Lawrence trade up or tank it'd be hard not to do it. 

This might not be fair, but there are can't miss QBs in my opinion. As you just stated about Lawrence him and Fields(depends) you can plug them into any team and you'll be set at QB.

I'm with you on the others.

The Colts tanked for Luck. The stands had signs saying suck for Luck, and where did that get them? You never tank to potentially get a player. You play to win the game, Right, Herm?

Geneaut likes this

Lawrence will be pretty much plug and play. Fields still has to prove himself to me. We were talking originally about someone sitting behind Ryan for a couple of years. I don't think Lawrence will sit.

The days of spending a high pic on QB only to have them sit on the pine and carry a clip board for a couple of years are long gone. 

13 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The Colts tanked for Luck. The stands had signs saying suck for Luck, and where did that get them. You never tank to potentially get a player. You play to win the game, Right, Herm?

I still would argue that's the correct choice. Injuries like Luck and issues like Wentz have no one saw that coming, but you still don't pass them up. 

As much as I like late round QBs something screams at me that if you put some of them on different teams they'd fold as in the coach makes them. That's the argument surrounding Tom Brady I hear a lot. 

On 9/11/2019 at 4:18 PM, sdogg said:

YES!!!