NFL Draft 2021 and Matt Ryan

95 posts in this topic

No this isn't a clickbait let's all bash Matt Ryan, but this draft is a long ways off I know. So I'm more asking for opinions this should be the draft that Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields come out. 

Would you tank for them or trade a King's ransom for them? 

I'm only asking now cause by the time they take the field Matt will be 36 years old. I honestly don't know if he'll play into his 40s like Brady and Brees. 

Edit: Thought this would be clear, but my fault if we do this the person comes and sits learns from Matt Ryan. For couple seasons.

Edited by Zone#7

If we are bottom feeders again next season I see us being in position to take Fields or Lawrence and we will be hiring someone like Lincoln Riley for HC. Would usher is a new-era of Falcons football that will actually be exciting to watch again. Ryan will not be with this team in his 40s. 

ChickenBiscuit likes this

1 minute ago, athell said:

Absolutely not, that is a ridiculous question for several reasons.

Why is that? Because far as I know going into that draft those first 2 picks at least based on how things are going now. They're value will be off the charts.

3 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Why is that? Because far as I know going into that draft those first 2 picks at least based on how things are going now. They're value will be off the charts.

We have a proven, battle tested, borderline (should be) Hall of Fame QB who still has several good years ahead of him.  Mortgaging the future for a rookie who may not pan out at the expense of a upper echelon NFL franchise QB is absurd to even think about.  Matt Ryan is 34.  Even if you don't believe he plays into his 40s, which at this rate who knows, and say he plays into his late 30s that's another 4-5 years of a guy who is showing zero signs of dropping off.

If we are terrible, and we are in a position to draft one of those up and coming QB's...different story.  But to tank or trade the farm for a QB who would then have to sit for several years is just not football smart.

8 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

That’s how companies go bankrupt. Luckily AB knows what it is to run a winning franchise. 

athell likes this

This is the 3rd of 4th post about Ryans replacement I have seen. This is getting old. This is nothing we should be thinking about any time soon. 4 years, so someone can ride pine a year or two behind Ryan, but 2021 draft.... Smoking Rocks...

athell, hjerry, hotlanta and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I’d only be for taking a QB in 2021 so he can come in and learn behind Ryan before taking his spot when Matt retires

I think that can wait a few more years. 

athell likes this

1 minute ago, 408Falcon said:

This is the 3rd of 4th post about Ryans replacement I have seen. This is getting old. This is nothing we should be thinking about any time soon. 4 years, so someone can ride pine a year or two behind Ryan, but 2021 draft.... Smoking Rocks...

Packers drafted Aaron in the first to sit behind Favre. Assuming Trevor is still playing to this level when he announces his draft status I’d take him in the first. Someone will pay a pretty penny though and move up for him aka Jacksonville

2 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Packers drafted Aaron in the first to sit behind Favre. Assuming Trevor is still playing to this level when he announces his draft status I’d take him in the first. Someone will pay a pretty penny though and move up for him aka Jacksonville

They also didn't tank or trade the farm for him...it's different.  If a QB falls to us, of course you have to consider it, but to tank or send a king's ransom is just laughable.

This board kills me with that "we can't talk about that" attitude when it comes to any sort of speculation about Ryan. You'd get the same response if you asked that question about Dan Quinn last season and you see how the tune changes based on performance.

We can talk about anything and it has zero (I repeat, ZERO) impact on any decisions the FO make. If *you* personally don't want to talk about it, then don't open the thread.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Is it even possible to ask a roster with this much talent to tank?  You’d literally have to simply bench your 6-7 best players.  

Short answer:  no

Long answer: @FalconFanSince1970

We lost 9 games last year with a healthy offense that is supposed to be the strength of the team.

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

We lost 9 games last year with a healthy offense that is supposed to be the strength of the team.

Yeah but we lost the core of our defense. It depends on how this year goes. If we go negative this year and end up having another top 15 pick and a guy with potential is there, pull the trigger. I just want a project QB. It worked with Kansas City, it worked with Green Bay and it may or may not have worked with Jimmy G. You can find a QB outside of the top 10, they just have to be developed.

14 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

This board kills me with that "we can't talk about that" attitude when it comes to any sort of speculation about Ryan. You'd get the same response if you asked that question about Dan Quinn last season and you see how the tune changes based on performance.

We can talk about anything and it has zero (I repeat, ZERO) impact on any decisions the FO make. If *you* personally don't want to talk about it, then don't open the thread.

No one said we cant talk about anything.  We are all pointing out how dumb the idea is.  If you don't want negative feedback, don't start a dumb thread imho

ok_falcons_fan likes this

25 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I’d only be for taking a QB in 2021 so he can come in and learn behind Ryan before taking his spot when Matt retires

Let me update cause this is actually the point of my post he learns behind Ryan 

1 minute ago, athell said:

No one said we cant talk about anything.  We are all pointing out how dumb the idea is.  If you don't want negative feedback, don't start a dumb thread imho

Even if he rephrased it as "let's get a 1st round QB to learn behind Ryan" he still would've gotten dragged by a lot of the loyalists around here. That's my point. Some people just flat-out don't want to talk about it at all. If you're not one of those people and doesn't apply, let it fly.

Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

Even if he rephrased it as "let's get a 1st round QB to learn behind Ryan" he still would've gotten dragged by a lot of the loyalists around here. That's my point. Some people just flat-out don't want to talk about it at all. If you're not one of those people and doesn't apply, let it fly.

It's the "tank or trade a king's ransom" part that is not flying...