jlrfalcon

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance - Where Are You?

102 posts in this topic

Just now, Knight of God said:

I care less and less by the year

I care less and less about the W-L record. I've found other things about the game to keep me entertained. Don't get me wrong, the 'W's are way better. That will never change, but the 'L's don't hurt as much.

It is what it is.

I took any Falcons loss hard before SB51 (not in a “It wrecks me” way, but definitely would let it simmer). And that Super Bowl was flat out devastating, I still can’t really think about it without getting angry and disappointed all over again. I can’t count how many times I had said that all I ever wanted was to watch the Falcons beat the Pats in the big one (live in Boston, and can’t stand these arrogant fans). And we’d done it. A 25 point lead near the end of the 3rd is insurmountable. I was inwardly celebrating. And then, brick by brick for a quarter and a half, it all crumbled. So ...

After 28-3? Meh. Regular season losses don’t bother me at all anymore, and the one playoff loss since then didn’t really either. I guess that’s the one benefit of losing so embarrassingly and spectacularly on the biggest stage. Nothing else compares. 

Then again, 28-3 also muted how excited I get about football in general because, well, if you can’t win it then, are you ever going to? 

Is what it is. Still bleed red and black, still root hard for my team, still love when the Falcons win, especially in a fun nail biter, but it’s just not as entertaining as it all was before 51. ACTUALLY winning a SB someday would change that, so here’s hopin’ ....

1 hour ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Depends on the situation, man. I'm numb to most of this stuff because it's like ehh what can you do it's the Falcons, but at the same time 28-3 definitely ruined my mood for at least a few days

The SB hurt more than most but only because we got soooo close, but I've moved on. The 28-3 jokes don't even bother me anymore. I just find them annoying; like come up with something better lol, be more original 

I just watch Formula 1 these days, and Soccer aboard and domestic is becoming interesting to me. When the Falcons start doing the right thing I'll watch again. 

10 hours ago, Statick said:

Indifference

Let's see if Dan can right the ship. If you see the same thing twice, then be worried.

And apathetic as well for me.

The older I’ve gotten, the more I realize it’s just a game. You appreciate it a lot more when you look at it that way. A Falcon loss has no bearing on my life whatsoever when used to I’d be miserable for a week afterward. A lot of that has to do with the SB loss though I must admit. I guess I’ve come to terms with the fact that this team is never going to be a dominant power house like cultures some teams have created. So I guess acceptance. Anyway **** the Saints.

13 hours ago, Statick said:

Indifference

Let's see if Dan can right the ship. If you see the same thing twice, then be worried.

Yep , same here. We'll jump off that bridge when we get to it.

Quinn was a coach for the Seahawks when they blew it, and if that wasn't embarrassment enough for him, he topped it with our Patriot/Brady/Belichick 'coup de grâce' highlight reel performace crowning the pats the GOAT! How can you coach with that hanging over your head? Or play for a guy that blew bringing a Lombardi home in such an epically bad coaching perfomance? He never leaves with the girl he brought to the dance. The talent is there, the coaching lacks. Did all the *stars* sit out pre-season to look like **** on their first outing??? Quinn started rookie OL that were clearly not up to the task, one playing with a broken foot and Ryan was on his back on the first play. I have no clue what is going on at Flowery Branch, but it's not football practice. Maybe the love of $$$ has completely taken over the love of the game. I'll venture a guess that 40% 'love the game' and the other 60% see it as a means to an end $$$$$

6 hours ago, Geneaut said:

I care less and less about the W-L record. I've found other things about the game to keep me entertained. Don't get me wrong, the 'W's are way better. That will never change, but the 'L's don't hurt as much.

It is what it is.

But it ain't what it's supposed to be.....

I feel. . . . nothing.  What’s the point?  1). It was the first game of the season, and 2) even if they won, and kept winning,deep down we all know this season ends with them getting their *** handed to them in the biggest possible moment 

mainly disgust but also hopelessness.  the idea that we were recently in the super bowl and without much turnover we're just a bit above mediocre since then is ugh.  also seeing teams like the Rams and Chiefs LOOK like we did offensively in the super bowl year when we were a juggernaut.  the idea that we lose our off. coordinator and that incredible team becomes what it is today is simply breathtakingly idiotic and baffling.

hopeless because I've come to realize that it's just too hard to build a consistently great team--you bring in a good player but another gets injured or too old.  it's always fixing leaks on a sinking ship

7 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I care less and less by the year

Amen. Used to never miss a game & would carry anger w/ me for a day or two after they lost. Then something clicked in my mid to late 30’s where I just felt silly letting something I have absolutely zero control over occupy so much real estate in my brain. Obviously I would love to see them win big... after all I’ve invested decades of support into this team... but if they suck, I’m happy to find more productive ways to spend my time & energy.

My husband and friends keep telling me I should find another team, and well, that's just not how I work. The Falcons are my team. That's it.

However, I'm going to admit that I'm kind of tired of building myself up and have gotten to the point of acceptance. We might have seen the best Matt and Julio can be together. We might never see them get there again. I'm not okay with that, but I don't really have a choice in the matter. I watch the games and I cheer them on, but I've stopped letting it hurt so much when they lose. It's healthier for me and probably where I should have been all along.

I play a lot of fantasy football these days to get my excitement level for the game up and I find that pretty rewarding. 

Dissappointed in the effort scheme etc, We have the weapons and a top ten QB but we never seem to just enforce our will and kick ***. Hoping for a big turn around on Sunday We could easily be 0-3 But im staying optimistic.

I have to be honest...I don't care all that much. I still watch them every week, but the Falcons aren't as important to me as they were when I was younger.

If Blank announced next week that he was moving the franchise to San Antonio or Portland I'd just find another team to follow and call it a day.

Edited by GhostofGritz
putnam6 likes this

1st week in the NFL is always a wild one.  Couple that with a tough opponent on the road and a bunch of new pieces on the oline against a solid dline....I'm reserving judgement on the 2019 Falcons. I'll wait until after the first quarter of the season.  Anything less than 2-2 and I'll be concerned.  

1 hour ago, GhostofGritz said:

I have to be honest...I don't care all that much. I still watch them every week, but the Falcons aren't as important to me as they were when I was younger.

If Blank announced next week that he was moving the franchise to San Antonio or Portland I'd just find another team to follow and call it a day.

Purely out of curiosity, did that start before or after SB51?

I feel like that game broke something in us Falcons fans.

putnam6 and GhostofGritz like this

20 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

98 did it to me.

To be perfectly honest the Braves may have done it to me.

Edited by Geneaut
Lowndesfalc likes this

6 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

The Eugene Robinson Fiasco before their first Superbowl, the twin disasters of Vick’s dogfighting and Petrino in the same year, 28-3...Things happen to this team that would be rejected as being implausible if a screenwriter penned them.

I don’t think it’s a curse or anything supernatural...just poor decisions by flawed people.

I don’t think I’ll see them win in all in my lifetime.

FalconsIn2012 and Lowndesfalc like this