jlrfalcon

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance - Where Are You?

102 posts in this topic

I'm at "It's just a game that quite a few people take way too seriously"

It shouldn't have a strong effect on people mentally and emotionally unless it's your occupation in some shape or form.

Can you be disappointed? Yes

But when you let it get to the point where you look at it like a crisis it's never a good thing.

1 hour ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

Indifference, it’s just a game and it’s only week 1. 

I love this team, but one shouldn’t let sports wreck their day/life

Indifference is where I am now though I admit that anytime I dedicate a few hours to something, I want it to mean something other than disappointment.  That said, we were never going to be 16-0 and we almost always look like hot garbage week 1 regardless of how much talent or anything else we have going for us.   That said week 2's generally are where we see the Falcons get some of their crap together so if I'm not happy late Sunday night, I will move to another tier.

Vandy likes this

17 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

As I mentioned earlier the Vikings are a horrible matchup for the Falcons.

They were already a bad matchup for the Falcons but now their defense practices against the same running scheme daily.

As we saw Sunday they can shut down the Falcons run game completely.

Why does it not go both ways?  If the Vikings are bad matchup because they run the same system, wouldn't that make us a bad matchup for them as well?

I'm not challenging, its an honest question.

1 hour ago, SoldMySoul said:

We have been fans for about the same time. During the Steve Bartkowski years. I always liked him.

Although I am not hating on you Mad, the several years I have been on here, I haven’t see you post much in the way of positive. I guess that bowl loss still eating away at ya? I can’t lie and say I’m past it!!! I have idiot Taint fans that love to bring it up and often. 

I was pretty positive until the SB, if you can pull up my posts before that you can see that. After the SB? F it, this teams purpose for me is a venting mechanism for the decades of disappointment they have caused me.

SoldMySoul likes this

24 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

As I mentioned earlier the Vikings are a horrible matchup for the Falcons.

They were already a bad matchup for the Falcons but now their defense practices against the same running scheme daily.

As we saw Sunday they can shut down the Falcons run game completely.

I said in Vel's scouting thread that I didn't feel good about that game at all. I think the Falcons, when healthy, are capable of beating anyone. The 2 toughest matchups for them, in my opinion are the Vikings and Eagles. Reality is though, the Falcons made a lot of really bad mistakes that didn't help their case. It was a blowout because Ryan threw 2 AWFUL picks, one in the end zone, Freeman fumbled in the red zone, and a punt got blocked. If those mental errors don't happen, it's likely a field goal game with Minnesota probably still winning. 

I love the game of football, Atlanta sports and mostly the Atlanta Falcons.  But, if you are going through stages of grief over one loss than I am sorry. Falcons lost to a really good Vikings team in their home with a crazy fanbase. I think the players made a lot of mistakes, hopefully saw what they did wrong in film review and will correct them this week in practice and the game Sunday night.

Sure I am upset that we lost but lets see what happens when we finish more than 1/16th of the season

MissouriFalcon49 likes this

22 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Why does it not go both ways?  If the Vikings are bad matchup because they run the same system, wouldn't that make us a bad matchup for them as well?

I'm not challenging, its an honest question.

Well that's the question, right?

The Falcons should have been more prepared to stop what the Vikings were doing.  Sure you're going to have the first couple of pops but you would think they should have been able to clamp down on it much sooner.

On paper the Falcons dline should have had an advantage over the Vikings dline.  Per PFF maybe they did gradewise but it sure didn't seem like it

The more I think about it I think it has to do with coaching.  The Falcons are playing broken telephone and running a system they learned from a guy and that guy isn't here anymore.

The Vikings, on the other hand, have one of the original architects/disciples running it.

To be honest I'm a little concerned the Vikings may have exposed a weakness.  Beasley trying to set the edge.   

JeffAtl likes this

24 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I said in Vel's scouting thread that I didn't feel good about that game at all. I think the Falcons, when healthy, are capable of beating anyone. The 2 toughest matchups for them, in my opinion are the Vikings and Eagles. Reality is though, the Falcons made a lot of really bad mistakes that didn't help their case. It was a blowout because Ryan threw 2 AWFUL picks, one in the end zone, Freeman fumbled in the red zone, and a punt got blocked. If those mental errors don't happen, it's likely a field goal game with Minnesota probably still winning. 

Yeah it's definitely a tough match up.

Other than a few runs by Smith the Falcons were completely one dimensional.  Yes when you get down a couple of scores it changes the game plan but the Falcons really struggled running the ball before it got totally and completely out of hand..

JD dirtybird21 likes this

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah it's definitely a tough match up.

Other than a few runs by Smith the Falcons were completely one dimensional.  Yes when you get down a couple of scores it changes the game plan but the Falcons really struggled running the ball before it got totally and completely out of hand..

Have you noticed too that we typically play like crap every year in week 1 under Dan Quinn? That could be the consequence of the preseason actually. Last year against the Eagles, the offense, especially Ryan looked terrible. We beat Chicago in 2017, but still looked terrible and should have lost that game. We won because of 2 very lucky drops by the Bears. And the year before that, we lost, at home to Tampa. 

20 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Have you noticed too that we typically play like crap every year in week 1 under Dan Quinn? That could be the consequence of the preseason actually. Last year against the Eagles, the offense, especially Ryan looked terrible. We beat Chicago in 2017, but still looked terrible and should have lost that game. We won because of 2 very lucky drops by the Bears. And the year before that, we lost, at home to Tampa. 

Oh yeah I've noticed.

I mentioned it several times that I think Quinn needs to really change his pre-season philosophy.  When you think about it that's the 1st time the starters played a snap together all off-season.

Meanwhile, last off-season the Cheifs had the starters play extensively in the 2nd pre-season game, (against the Falcons), and the Pats had Brady play extensively in the 2nd pre-season game.  Both coaches reasoning was to get them ready for the season.  In BB's case it was because Brady had new WRs to work with.

Archer said this on the Falcons Audible podcast the other day.  You only have 16 of these games to begin with.  You can't just throw one of them away. 

Ask Mike Smith.  One more win in 2014 and the Falcons win the division and are in the playoffs and Smitty might have still had his job.  But nope.  Smitty got timeout happy in the Browns and Lions game and we know how those ended.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

2 hours ago, Statick said:

Indifference

Let's see if Dan can right the ship. If you see the same thing twice, then be worried.

I'll second that motion! :rant::sadwave:

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Archer said this on the Falcons Audible podcast the other day.  You only have 16 of these games to begin with.  You can't just throw one of them away.  Ask Mike Smith.  One more win in 2014 and the Falcons win the division and are in the playoffs and Smitty might have still had his job.  But nope.  Smitty got timeout happy in the Browns and Lions game and we know how those ended.

Yeah, that's a great point.  One game in a 16 games season is a pretty big deal for teams with playoff aspirations.  One game is usually the difference in hosting a playoff game rather than being on the road.  And as you mentioned, it can easily make the difference from making the playoffs and not.

Losing the first game of the year isn't the end of the world, but treating it so cavalierly is not a wise move.

Sun Tzu 7 likes this

2 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Acceptance - I expected the Falcons to lose to the Vikings because they are just a better team and match up well with us.  I expect to lose a close one to the Eagles also. 

I have not seen anything in preseason to make me think that the offense was going to come out of the gates scoring many points this year.  We have a new OC, half of our OL is new, Free hadn't played in a year, etc.  

I think we have a slightly above average team right now.  We could get better as the year goes on but I was not one of the many overly optimistic posters on here all preseason long.

Congratulations on your shrewdness in not being taken in by all the apparent improvements! Please slap a gold star sticker on your shirt and eat yourself a Snickers for totally owning! We all wish we could be you, just for a little while!! :slick:

Oddly enough considering my experience with the Falcons, my advancing grouchiness and receding patience, I was actually one of those overly optimistic posters. I'll be upfront with you. I drank, no guzzled, the Kool-Aide. But worse, I was pouring it out to other poor pessimists looking for hope this team was finally about to come of age.

My feet are firmly back on the ground now. lol. That first game reminded me this team may have talent, but it has little to no heart. It has no guts, no grit, no nasty and definitely no brains. When the going gets tough, the Falcons pee down their collective legs, collapse, implode, then disappear into a hole. You labeled this team "slightly better than average." My present stance is now YOU'RE the one being overly optimistic. lol.

Yes, the Falcons could get better as the year goes on because they literally couldn't get much worse. They have the talent, but they're like Schrodinger's cat in the quantum box. You won't know whether its alive and kicking or dead and stinking until the season's over and you open the box. I'm going to hope we're alive, but I'm going to have a clothespin on my nose as a realistic precaution for the big reveal.

DogIsYourName and rounz like this

40 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

You labeled this team "slightly better than average." My present stance is now YOU'RE the one being overly optimistic. lol.

Yes, the Falcons could get better as the year goes on because they literally couldn't get much worse. They have the talent, but they're like Schrodinger's cat in the quantum box. You won't know whether its alive and kicking or dead and stinking until the season's over and you open the box. I'm going to hope we're alive, but I'm going to have a clothespin on my nose as a realistic precaution for the big reveal.

You might be right!  Deep down I know that if we can just protect Matt Ryan we will win our share of games.  But we have something to prove on both the OL and DL and the front end of our schedule is pretty unforgiving.

PokerSteve and rounz like this

3 hours ago, Statick said:

Indifference

Let's see if Dan can right the ship. If you see the same thing twice, then be worried.

Agree. It is only 1 game.

4 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

You might be right!  Deep down I know that if we can just protect Matt Ryan we will win our share of games.  But we have something to prove on both the OL and DL and the front end of our schedule is pretty unforgiving.

I m calling for a falcon win this Sunday.

What's this 5 stages of grief you guys keep complaining about I'm on cloud 9 over here.

9-7 with NFC champ appearance, but a loss. That's what I'm sticking with 

Edited by Zone#7

Too early to be any of those things. For me at least. Then again the atlanta falcons don’t consume my life like some of you older fans. It’s purely entertainment for me. I’m a football fan before a falcons fan. I’ll watch a good high school game for entertainment. The falcons May be my favorite nfl team but they’re not the only team I like. I also like players on other teams. I may be pissed off when we lose but I give it a 24 hr rule and then I’m back to my regularly scheduled life. I will say those who think the falcons will never win a SB to never say never. There was never going to be a black president. There was never going to be planes in the sky. There was never going to be a way to talk to someone that wasn’t in the same place, or state as you. That’s my mindset in everyday life so why would I be any different about a sports team? 

falcons007 likes this

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

Too early to be any of those things. For me at least. Then again the atlanta falcons don’t consume my life like some of you older fans. It’s purely entertainment for me. I’m a football fan before a falcons fan. I’ll watch a good high school game for entertainment. The falcons May be my favorite nfl team but they’re not the only team I like. I also like players on other teams. I may be pissed off when we lose but I give it a 24 hr rule and then I’m back to my regularly scheduled life. I will say those who think the falcons will never win a SB to never say never. There was never going to be a black president. There was never going to be planes in the sky. There was never going to be a way to talk to someone that wasn’t in the same place, or state as you. That’s my mindset in everyday life so why would I be any different about a sports team? 

I can't watch kids or future accountants play. NFL for me all the way, BUT, I only really watch Falcons games. It's a **** ton of fun when they win, and mildly disappointing if they lose. It really doesn't affect my life at all, so just focus on the fun stuff and don't worry about the bad stuff. It's entertainment.

JeffAtl and TheFatboi like this

We saw this team last year, we saw this team through 5 pre season games, we saw them last week. I've seen enough to know the common issues we continue to have throughout this and the fact those common issues will be exploited by every team we face and we will not be good.

We are STILL weak on both lines, we lack discipline and commit too many penalties, our ST's are still trash. We are still bad at clock management and now we are turning the ball over to much.

I'm either seeing the same problems we have had for over a year or some new issues cropping up so this is not just a One Game thing. This is a team wide trend and is not getting better it is getting worse.

10 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

I can't watch kids or future accountants play. NFL for me all the way, BUT, I only really watch Falcons games. It's a **** ton of fun when they win, and mildly disappointing if they lose. It really doesn't affect my life at all, so just focus on the fun stuff and don't worry about the bad stuff. It's entertainment.

That’s how I see it. It’s entertainment. Don’t make it your life. I get pissed when they lose too. And I love when they win. But I doesn’t effect my life like it seems to do some of the guys here. I hope that’s not the case but some ppl really seem to take it to heart.