jlrfalcon

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance - Where Are You?

102 posts in this topic

Using the original/official/optimal 5 stage of grief model, where are you now after the Vikings loss?

Denial - look for optimistic items from the loss, it was just a preseason game since we did not play our preseason, etc.

Anger - worst game the Falcons ever played, Quinn should be tarred and feathered, etc.

Bargaining - it is only one loss with 15 games to go, we are still in 2nd place (and nearly 1st?) in our division, etc.

Depression - Falcons are not the only thing in life, what else can I be doing right now?, etc.

Acceptance - Eagles are now on tap after nearly losing to Redskins, Eagles have a bad secondary, etc.

 

It is hard to get over a letdown like a game like this past Sunday that comes after a whole off-season of enthusiasm being built up with multiple players all returning from injury, new coordinators starting, and improvements made at multiple positions.  In fact, such a recovery is perhaps not too far from that after a SB51 that many fans have not fully made yet (empty seats at Mercedes).  And, repeating this process over and over again is difficult if done too often.

The Falcons will be at home Sunday night against the Eagles which hopefully is a plus and even the oddsmakers have not ruled us out.  We are not too beat up and actually may have a slide-in starter for our biggest loss from week 1.  The Eagles have a big injury (DT) or so also and have an injury-prone QB.  Our star WR actually tends to have big game against the Eagles.  Finally, the NFL has got to keep the Thanksgiving prime-time matchup between us and the Saints popular?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jlrfalcon said:

Using the original/official/optimal 5 stage of grief model, where are you now after the Vikings loss?

Denial - look for optimistic items from the loss, it was just a preseason game since we did not play our preseason, etc.

Anger - worst game the Falcons ever played, Quinn should be tarred and feathered, etc.

Bargaining - it is only one loss with 15 games to go, we are still in 2nd place (and nearly 1st?) in our division, etc.

Depression - Falcons are not the only thing in life, what else can I be doing right now?, etc.

Acceptance - Eagles are now on tap after nearly losing to Redskins, Eagles have a bad secondary, etc.

 

It is hard to get over a letdown like a game like this past Sunday that comes after a whole off-season of enthusiasm being built up with multiple players all returning from injury, new coordinators starting, and improvements made at multiple positions.  In fact, such a recovery is perhaps not too far from that after a SB51 that many fans have not fully made yet (empty seats at Mercedes).  And, repeating this process over and over again is difficult if done too often.

The Falcons will be at home Sunday night against the Eagles which hopefully is a plus and even the oddsmakers have not ruled us out.  We are not too beat up and actually may have a slide-in starter for our biggest loss from week 1.  The Eagles have a big injury (DT) or so also and have an injury-prone QB.  Our star WR actually tends to have big game against the Eagles.  Finally, the NFL has got to keep the Thanksgiving prime-time matchup between us and the Saints popular?

The eagles are relatively healthy too though ?? They can definitely overcome the loss of Malik Jackson and since when is Carson Wentz injury prone ?? Lol look ik you wrote this too make people feel better but cmon , you know this isnt true. Eagles are just as good as they were when they had a good defense and offense  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am at work getting started with my job. Bet Quinn is thinking how do you get the team to buy into a coach. That so badly did nothing to help win the SB and was one that allowed his team to flounder the biggest lead in SB history in less than 20 minutes. 

I am struggling to pull it together and think Quinn is the one to get this team to a championship. 

JeffAtl and HouseofEuphoria like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same now as every other game during every other season. Not ignorantly expecting a win every single game. Actually understanding that there are some teams that are actually better than the Falcons. Hard to be depressed and angry when you go in not expecting blowouts every week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've accepted this team will never win a SB, 28-3 taught me that. I've accepted the fact that the ONLY time this team wins or does good is to provoke a false sense of hope from it's fanbase so it can disappoint them more by failing in Epic ways. Being an ATL native and watching the Falcons since the late 1970's taught me that.

At this point I expect failure and will continue to express my displeasure towards the team until they actually win a SB, which they won't.

After so many years and so many disappointments this team does not deserve support, they deserve constant ridicule at least as a venting mechanism for being so horrible for so long. That is the least they can do for the fanbase they disappoint year after year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the above. I still feel like we are missing a few pieces on the DL. Davidson is good, but we need a monster NT that is an immovable force in the middle. If Vic can't set the edge, bench him and play him on passing downs only. He is the weak link.

vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acceptance - I expected the Falcons to lose to the Vikings because they are just a better team and match up well with us.  I expect to lose a close one to the Eagles also. 

I have not seen anything in preseason to make me think that the offense was going to come out of the gates scoring many points this year.  We have a new OC, half of our OL is new, Free hadn't played in a year, etc.  

I think we have a slightly above average team right now.  We could get better as the year goes on but I was not one of the many overly optimistic posters on here all preseason long.

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I return to work today from the usual three day weekend and there is where $$ leaves my hand and goes into a Vikings co- worker’s hand..... where you think I am at? 

If I didn’t believe in the Falcons I would never bet on them..... might be starting to learn a lesson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acceptance.

I've gone back and taken another look at what the Vikings were doing in the ground game.

There were a few positives but also some things to be concerned with.

The Vikings didn't come out with some new innovative running scheme.  It was the standard Shanahan/Kubiak/Gibbs zone scheme.  Credit to the Vikings.  They did a great job with their blocking assignments.

Here's what's perplexing/concerning.  It's more or less the same scheme the Falcons defense practices against every day.  You would have thought the Falcons D would have been able to quickly adjust to it because they see it daily.

That's why the Vikings look so prepared for it.  Because they practice against it daily. 

I hate to say it but it's the bit about Iron sharpening Iron when it comes to the Vikings.  Their oline practices against that defense so it's no wonder they came out like gang buster whereas the Falcons practice against the Falcons.  

With the Vikings running that system they are a horrible match-up for the Falcons.  Especially in the run game.

The Falcons offense will need to evolve this season because the oline is going to be what you expect.  3 new starters and and least one of them will be a rookie. 

We'll see what happens going forward but the run D is concerning because a major weakness may have been exposed immediately.    Beasley trying to contain the edge among other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I've accepted this team will never win a SB, 28-3 taught me that. I've accepted the fact that the ONLY time this team wins or does good is to provoke a false sense of hope from it's fanbase so it can disappoint them more by failing in Epic ways. Being an ATL native and watching the Falcons since the late 1970's taught me that.

At this point I expect failure and will continue to express my displeasure towards the team until they actually win a SB, which they won't.

After so many years and so many disappointments this team does not deserve support, they deserve constant ridicule at least as a venting mechanism for being so horrible for so long. That is the least they can do for the fanbase they disappoint year after year.

 

We have been fans for about the same time. During the Steve Bartkowski years. I always liked him.

Although I am not hating on you Mad, the several years I have been on here, I haven’t see you post much in the way of positive. I guess that bowl loss still eating away at ya? I can’t lie and say I’m past it!!! I have idiot Taint fans that love to bring it up and often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I'm at 'it's just a game I watch for enjoyment' and I'm worried about a lot of you.

Unfortunately there wasn't much to enjoy.

Geneaut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Unfortunately there wasn't much to enjoy.

I don't know ... I liked watching Grady quite a bit. I've been watching this team since the 70s so I've learned to take what I can from a game like that. That said I certainly wouldn't be ecstatic to see many more of those type games this season, but I'm not very worried this is the norm and not an outlier. I'm fairly positive we'll be the Minny to another team coming to our stadium at some point this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This thread would make way more sense if the falcons were 1-4. They are 0-1. None of us have a clue what this team is yet

JD, I will give you this.. Can this team fix their issues in one week, two weeks, three weeks? I hope!!

Edited by SoldMySoul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like your child when he/she does something you don't approve of. You criticize them and love them. Then you say "Alright this is behind us but DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN AGAIN!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SoldMySoul said:

JD, I will give you this.. Can this team fix their issues in one week, two weeks, three weeks? I hope!!

As do I. But there so many things that could be factored into last Sunday. What if the Vikings are just that good? You never know. Was the game frustrating? Absolutely. But it’s way too early to come a conclusion on what this team is. Is Pittsburgh garbage? I doubt it. 

falconsd56 and SoldMySoul like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

As do I. But there so many things that could be factored into last Sunday. What if the Vikings are just that good? You never know. Was the game frustrating? Absolutely. But it’s way too early to come a conclusion on what this team is. Is Pittsburgh garbage? I doubt it. 

Yeah the Steelers loss was indeed surprising!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same place I was after 28-3 . I’ve been waiting & seeing since then & haven’t seen DQ do anything but run his mouth off the field just to get run over on it .  I want him gone . 

MAD597 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

As do I. But there so many things that could be factored into last Sunday. What if the Vikings are just that good? You never know. Was the game frustrating? Absolutely. But it’s way too early to come a conclusion on what this team is. Is Pittsburgh garbage? I doubt it. 

As I mentioned earlier the Vikings are a horrible matchup for the Falcons.

They were already a bad matchup for the Falcons but now their defense practices against the same running scheme daily.

As we saw Sunday they can shut down the Falcons run game completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now