Jump to content

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance - Where Are You?


jlrfalcon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Using the original/official/optimal 5 stage of grief model, where are you now after the Vikings loss?

Denial - look for optimistic items from the loss, it was just a preseason game since we did not play our preseason, etc.

Anger - worst game the Falcons ever played, Quinn should be tarred and feathered, etc.

Bargaining - it is only one loss with 15 games to go, we are still in 2nd place (and nearly 1st?) in our division, etc.

Depression - Falcons are not the only thing in life, what else can I be doing right now?, etc.

Acceptance - Eagles are now on tap after nearly losing to Redskins, Eagles have a bad secondary, etc.

 

It is hard to get over a letdown like a game like this past Sunday that comes after a whole off-season of enthusiasm being built up with multiple players all returning from injury, new coordinators starting, and improvements made at multiple positions.  In fact, such a recovery is perhaps not too far from that after a SB51 that many fans have not fully made yet (empty seats at Mercedes).  And, repeating this process over and over again is difficult if done too often.

The Falcons will be at home Sunday night against the Eagles which hopefully is a plus and even the oddsmakers have not ruled us out.  We are not too beat up and actually may have a slide-in starter for our biggest loss from week 1.  The Eagles have a big injury (DT) or so also and have an injury-prone QB.  Our star WR actually tends to have big game against the Eagles.  Finally, the NFL has got to keep the Thanksgiving prime-time matchup between us and the Saints popular?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jlrfalcon said:

Using the original/official/optimal 5 stage of grief model, where are you now after the Vikings loss?

Denial - look for optimistic items from the loss, it was just a preseason game since we did not play our preseason, etc.

Anger - worst game the Falcons ever played, Quinn should be tarred and feathered, etc.

Bargaining - it is only one loss with 15 games to go, we are still in 2nd place (and nearly 1st?) in our division, etc.

Depression - Falcons are not the only thing in life, what else can I be doing right now?, etc.

Acceptance - Eagles are now on tap after nearly losing to Redskins, Eagles have a bad secondary, etc.

 

It is hard to get over a letdown like a game like this past Sunday that comes after a whole off-season of enthusiasm being built up with multiple players all returning from injury, new coordinators starting, and improvements made at multiple positions.  In fact, such a recovery is perhaps not too far from that after a SB51 that many fans have not fully made yet (empty seats at Mercedes).  And, repeating this process over and over again is difficult if done too often.

The Falcons will be at home Sunday night against the Eagles which hopefully is a plus and even the oddsmakers have not ruled us out.  We are not too beat up and actually may have a slide-in starter for our biggest loss from week 1.  The Eagles have a big injury (DT) or so also and have an injury-prone QB.  Our star WR actually tends to have big game against the Eagles.  Finally, the NFL has got to keep the Thanksgiving prime-time matchup between us and the Saints popular?

The eagles are relatively healthy too though ?? They can definitely overcome the loss of Malik Jackson and since when is Carson Wentz injury prone ?? Lol look ik you wrote this too make people feel better but cmon , you know this isnt true. Eagles are just as good as they were when they had a good defense and offense  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am at work getting started with my job. Bet Quinn is thinking how do you get the team to buy into a coach. That so badly did nothing to help win the SB and was one that allowed his team to flounder the biggest lead in SB history in less than 20 minutes. 

I am struggling to pull it together and think Quinn is the one to get this team to a championship. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The same now as every other game during every other season. Not ignorantly expecting a win every single game. Actually understanding that there are some teams that are actually better than the Falcons. Hard to be depressed and angry when you go in not expecting blowouts every week

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've accepted this team will never win a SB, 28-3 taught me that. I've accepted the fact that the ONLY time this team wins or does good is to provoke a false sense of hope from it's fanbase so it can disappoint them more by failing in Epic ways. Being an ATL native and watching the Falcons since the late 1970's taught me that.

At this point I expect failure and will continue to express my displeasure towards the team until they actually win a SB, which they won't.

After so many years and so many disappointments this team does not deserve support, they deserve constant ridicule at least as a venting mechanism for being so horrible for so long. That is the least they can do for the fanbase they disappoint year after year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Acceptance - I expected the Falcons to lose to the Vikings because they are just a better team and match up well with us.  I expect to lose a close one to the Eagles also. 

I have not seen anything in preseason to make me think that the offense was going to come out of the gates scoring many points this year.  We have a new OC, half of our OL is new, Free hadn't played in a year, etc.  

I think we have a slightly above average team right now.  We could get better as the year goes on but I was not one of the many overly optimistic posters on here all preseason long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Acceptance.

I've gone back and taken another look at what the Vikings were doing in the ground game.

There were a few positives but also some things to be concerned with.

The Vikings didn't come out with some new innovative running scheme.  It was the standard Shanahan/Kubiak/Gibbs zone scheme.  Credit to the Vikings.  They did a great job with their blocking assignments.

Here's what's perplexing/concerning.  It's more or less the same scheme the Falcons defense practices against every day.  You would have thought the Falcons D would have been able to quickly adjust to it because they see it daily.

That's why the Vikings look so prepared for it.  Because they practice against it daily. 

I hate to say it but it's the bit about Iron sharpening Iron when it comes to the Vikings.  Their oline practices against that defense so it's no wonder they came out like gang buster whereas the Falcons practice against the Falcons.  

With the Vikings running that system they are a horrible match-up for the Falcons.  Especially in the run game.

The Falcons offense will need to evolve this season because the oline is going to be what you expect.  3 new starters and and least one of them will be a rookie. 

We'll see what happens going forward but the run D is concerning because a major weakness may have been exposed immediately.    Beasley trying to contain the edge among other things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I've accepted this team will never win a SB, 28-3 taught me that. I've accepted the fact that the ONLY time this team wins or does good is to provoke a false sense of hope from it's fanbase so it can disappoint them more by failing in Epic ways. Being an ATL native and watching the Falcons since the late 1970's taught me that.

At this point I expect failure and will continue to express my displeasure towards the team until they actually win a SB, which they won't.

After so many years and so many disappointments this team does not deserve support, they deserve constant ridicule at least as a venting mechanism for being so horrible for so long. That is the least they can do for the fanbase they disappoint year after year.

 

We have been fans for about the same time. During the Steve Bartkowski years. I always liked him.

Although I am not hating on you Mad, the several years I have been on here, I haven’t see you post much in the way of positive. I guess that bowl loss still eating away at ya? I can’t lie and say I’m past it!!! I have idiot Taint fans that love to bring it up and often. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Unfortunately there wasn't much to enjoy.

I don't know ... I liked watching Grady quite a bit. I've been watching this team since the 70s so I've learned to take what I can from a game like that. That said I certainly wouldn't be ecstatic to see many more of those type games this season, but I'm not very worried this is the norm and not an outlier. I'm fairly positive we'll be the Minny to another team coming to our stadium at some point this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This thread would make way more sense if the falcons were 1-4. They are 0-1. None of us have a clue what this team is yet

JD, I will give you this.. Can this team fix their issues in one week, two weeks, three weeks? I hope!!

Edited by SoldMySoul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SoldMySoul said:

JD, I will give you this.. Can this team fix their issues in one week, two weeks, three weeks? I hope!!

As do I. But there so many things that could be factored into last Sunday. What if the Vikings are just that good? You never know. Was the game frustrating? Absolutely. But it’s way too early to come a conclusion on what this team is. Is Pittsburgh garbage? I doubt it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

As do I. But there so many things that could be factored into last Sunday. What if the Vikings are just that good? You never know. Was the game frustrating? Absolutely. But it’s way too early to come a conclusion on what this team is. Is Pittsburgh garbage? I doubt it. 

Yeah the Steelers loss was indeed surprising!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

As do I. But there so many things that could be factored into last Sunday. What if the Vikings are just that good? You never know. Was the game frustrating? Absolutely. But it’s way too early to come a conclusion on what this team is. Is Pittsburgh garbage? I doubt it. 

As I mentioned earlier the Vikings are a horrible matchup for the Falcons.

They were already a bad matchup for the Falcons but now their defense practices against the same running scheme daily.

As we saw Sunday they can shut down the Falcons run game completely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...