Falconsfan567

Calling Former Players

87 posts in this topic

I want some of the former players here like @Knight of God, @Vandy, @vel, @TheFatboi to weigh in on this topic. It seems that there are a few very uninformed fans that think one of the reasons the Falcons struggle against the Saints is because they treat it like just another game instead of taking it like the big time rivalry game it is. I have tried to explain many times how you as a player or coach have to have the same preparation for every single game or you get maddening inconsistent results like the Falcons have gotten over the years, namely during the Michael Vick years when he was just as likely to go out and throw for 300 yards and 3 touchdowns on any given day as he was 100 yards and no touchdowns and 2 interceptions. You just never knew what you were going to get from him game-to-game because of his preparation, or lack there of.

What makes players like Drew Brees and Tom Brady amazingly great year after year and game after game is their level of preparation. They don't "get up" for this opponent or that opponent. They "get up" for every single time they take the field regardless of who the opponent is. That is what makes the Patriots dynasty so amazing under Bill Belichick and why they rarely get embarrassed because they're caught off guard and not prepared for something that the opponent is going to throw at them. They take every opponent and game the same with the same level of detail and preparation and its why it shows up on the field with consistently great results.

I'm just calling on some of our former players here to weigh in and explain this to the folks that think the Falcons need to take the Saints more seriously and why taking them "as just another game" is so terrible and why they get blown out all the time by them.

Knight of God, mqg96 and vel like this

That's the difference in a professional, someone who is a master at their craft...and someone who does the job because its a job, payin the bills. Your mental approach makes a huge difference.

Flying Falcon likes this

8 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Vick had two 300 yard passing games as a Falcon.

Yeah, that's immediately where my mind went, too.

Jesus likes this

23 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

That's the difference in a professional, someone who is a master at their craft...and someone who does the job because its a job, payin the bills. Your mental approach makes a huge difference.

Here’s The difference between amateur and a professional.

An amateur may be more talented than the professional.  But the professional is there ever day at 7 AM ready to do the job even when it’s not convenient .

A master at their craft is someone who has done that for a majority of their lifetime.

25 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Still, point is you never knew which Vick was going to show up. The one that beat the Steelers and Bengals in 2 straight games or the one that then followed that up and lost 2 straight games to the Lions and Browns.

There's no question with guys like Brees and Brady. You know exactly what you're gonna get from them every game.

VTCrunkler likes this

45 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I want some of the former players here like @Knight of God, @Vandy, @vel, @TheFatboi to weigh in on this topic. It seems that there are a few very uninformed fans that think one of the reasons the Falcons struggle against the Saints is because they treat it like just another game instead of taking it like the big time rivalry game it is. I have tried to explain many times how you as a player or coach have to have the same preparation for every single game or you get maddening inconsistent results like the Falcons have gotten over the years, namely during the Michael Vick years when he was just as likely to go out and throw for 300 yards and 3 touchdowns on any given day as he was 100 yards and no touchdowns and 2 interceptions. You just never knew what you were going to get from him game-to-game because of his preparation, or lack there of.

What makes players like Drew Brees and Tom Brady amazingly great year after year and game after game is their level of preparation. They don't "get up" for this opponent or that opponent. They "get up" for every single time they take the field regardless of who the opponent is. That is what makes the Patriots dynasty so amazing under Bill Belichick and why they rarely get embarrassed because they're caught off guard and not prepared for something that the opponent is going to throw at them. They take every opponent and game the same with the same level of detail and preparation and its why it shows up on the field with consistently great results.

I'm just calling on some of our former players here to weigh in and explain this to the folks that think the Falcons need to take the Saints more seriously and why taking them "as just another game" is so terrible and why they get blown out all the time by them.

Every game is a rivalry. Got to treat it that way!

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

A lot of these guys are friends and coworkers. It's the fans that get mostly wrapped up in rivalries.

Exactly!! It's far more serious to the fans than it is the players.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

22 minutes ago, Jesus said:

A lot of these guys are friends and coworkers. It's the fans that get mostly wrapped up in rivalries.

Yep.  I’m constantly reminded of the old Seinfeld line: “we’re just cheering for laundry”

Godzilla1985 and Jesus like this

6 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Yep.  I’m constantly reminded of the old Seinfeld line: “we’re just cheering for laundry”

At least the throwbacks are dope.

Dion Jones and all his family were life long Saints fans before he signed with Atlanta.. You believe they just started hating the Saints all the sudden? 

As high school and even college sports players we usually grow up in a certain area.. We know the rivalries all our lives.. Professional players are usually from all over the country.. Its just not the same.. Pro players really dont care as much 

53 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Still, point is you never knew which Vick was going to show up. The one that beat the Steelers and Bengals in 2 straight games or the one that then followed that up and lost 2 straight games to the Lions and Browns.

There's no question with guys like Brees and Brady. You know exactly what you're gonna get from them every game.

I did

The Vick that never read his **** playbook.

rings639 and NeonDeion like this

24 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

That's what I do when I'm at a strip club

Iron Saint likes this

@Falconsfan567 Rivalry games are always a little more intense. The atmosphere is filled with rivalry fever. Preparation is the same as any other week of preparation tho. You’re not gonna do anything different other than knowing how important the rivalry game is. The coaches def have to make sure the team is super focused and prepared tho. 

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

@Falconsfan567 Rivalry games are always a little more intense. The atmosphere is filled with rivalry fever. Preparation is the same as any other week of preparation tho. You’re not gonna do anything different other than knowing how important the rivalry game is. The coaches def have to make sure the team is super focused and prepared tho. 

On the field they are definitely more intense. But you can't prepare any differently for them. You've got to prepare for each game the same. That is what makes guys like Brees and Brady so great. They go into every game treating it as the most important game of the season. It's why they don't get caught looking ahead. They've got the rings to prove it.

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Imo, thats usually because its a divisional game

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Falcons need to take every opponent seriously.

And get Saints out of their heads.

It's about us and our preparation.

Right now, we have a coach who lacks LEADERSHIP,  lacks DISCIPLINE,  has failed to distinguish this teams DNA for what it truly stands for.

Because, for **** sake every freakin time we come up with a lame loss and lame excuses on how we lost it. And, cry over the missed opportunities....that's been the most consistent thing about Dan Quinn Falcons.

Usually,  it takes me 24 hours or so to get over a loss.

But, no I'm not going to get over this past loss because, theres something truly BROKEN within of this team.

Yes, they may get few wins or several under 9 best case....but,  that's not the point.

Our Falcons are not who we think they are.

And, I dont know how and when or IF  this will take to get corrected.

I want some of the former players here like @Knight of God, @Vandy, @vel, @TheFatboi to weigh in on this topic. It seems that there are a few very uninformed fans that think one of the reasons the Falcons struggle against the Saints is because they treat it like just another game instead of taking it like the big time rivalry game it is...

Could be wrong but I don't think either one of those TATFers played NFL ball. Maybe Vandy in the 80s.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Could be wrong but I don't think either one of those TATFers played NFL ball. Maybe Vandy in the 80s.

So because they didn't play NFL ball, only college ball, that means they don't have a good opinion on this subject?

Exactly!! It's far more serious to the fans than it is the players.

Not true at all....Saints and Patriots keep their personal relationships outside 100 yards

When its game time...both B.B and Peyton will do whatever it takes to carve up a team to pieces ruthlessly!

That's a difference between our charmin soft Falcons...because we care too much about media and public opinion on how we should be well mannered.

Patriots/Saints/Steelers give no effs about anyone.

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

And is still second in winning% as a starting QB for the Falcons. After 55 freakin seasons.

With no prep, no Oline, no defense, and Fin as his #1WR. Wrap your head around that for a minute.

If Ryan goes 6-10 this year Vick is all of a sudden the winningest Falcon QB again. Stop hatin.

Red&Black likes this

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

And is still second in winning% as a starting QB for the Falcons. After 55 freakin seasons.

With no prep, no Oline, no defense, and Fin as his #1WR. Wrap your head around that for a minute.

Lol at no defense