Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think that Jamon Brown is an upgrade from Lindstrom in the short term?

33 posts in this topic

With Jamon Brown obviously having more experience than Chris Lindstrom do you think that he gives us a better chance to to protect Matt Ryan and make holes for our running backs right now? I personally thought they should wait until week 6-8 to start Lindstrom and McGrary before the season started. I feel more comfortable having guys with experience like Brown and Carpenter out there against teams like Minnesota, Philly the Texans etc. I understand that drafting these guys early put pressure on us to start them early. Do you guys think Brown is a better option than Lindstrom in the short term? I expect our running game to be much better with Brown and Matt might feel more comfortable with an experienced guy. Especially against a team like the Eagles. Your thoughts?

Lindstrom is easily the better pass protector. In the run game, I don't know if Brown can get to the second level like Lindstrom, but maybe he's more mauler than Lindstrom there. Him and McGary combine to equal 650 lbs of mass. If they can't move people on the ground, throw it away. 

While TD & DQ may have had every intention to draft like they did, you never know how the draft is gonna unfold until it actually happens.

With that in mind I think it's important to remember Brown was brought in prior to the draft... which would seem to indicate they were ok with the possibility of him being the starter if they weren't able to draft a starting calibre guard.

If Brown's immediate skill is greater than Lindstrom, how many games would presumably be needed for Lindstrom's skill to exceed Brown?

If the Falcons rebound in the next 8 games with Brown starting and they have a record of perhaps 5-3? 6-2? 7-1?, should they even consider starting Lindstrom when he becomes available?

Would they need to consider leaving Lindstrom's starting chance until next season? inserting him in the playoff stretch would presumably downgrade the offense initially?

If the team is winning as of mid-2019 and the offensive line has played together successfully as a single unit for multiple weeks (similar to our 2016 group), should the Falcons even consider replacing Brown with Lindstrom even if the latter is perhaps more talented?

He is not an upgrade is pass pro and hopefully won’t be a glaring weakness in pass protection.

Kaleb needs to get to 100% snaps ASAP and hopefully become solid at protection.

One thing they MUST do is run the ball behind those guys.

Get Smith in there and run behind some dudes. Hooper and Stocker can block and we should pound on the ground as part of an early gameplan to protect the protection that protects Matt later in the game. :tiphat:

Matthews and the left side gotta bounce back but the right will need to be serviceable.

Worst-case scenario:

Gono slide inside and compete with Wes for starting reps until Lindstrom is back.

Just gotta get the D right and gameplan with the overturned OL in mind.

You’ve got a short term question and a long term question.

Lindstrom is more athletic, more mobile and by mid season would have most likely been playing like or close to a pro bowl level. But he needs to play to get there.

Brown might be better in short term, maybe not, but I’d rather have !indstrom out there getting prepared for second half of season and playoffs as his upside is bigger.

Brown can play though, so we should be fine. He may have a little adjustment period, will have to wait and see.

Fortunately it’s a home game against Eagles, should be a lot easier for offense to communicate presnap. This leads to less mistakes.

rounz and Falcons Fan MVP like this

Experience is always a plus.

I don't have enough information regarding the upgrade angle, but along with his experience, Brown's size is another plus.

14 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

With Lindstrom being a great rookie with one game under his belt vs. Brown being a vet, I'd say it's pretty much even, which is good.

"great rookie" really? After 3+ quarters of football?  wow!

Flying Falcon likes this

3 hours ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

3+ quarters of football where he did not allow even a pressure on a day MR2 was running for his life.  That's great isn't it? He is a rookie isn't he?

SpongeDad likes this

13 hours ago, gazoo said:

You’ve got a short term question and a long term question.

Lindstrom is more athletic, more mobile and by mid season would have most likely been playing like or close to a pro bowl level. But he needs to play to get there.

Brown might be better in short term, maybe not, but I’d rather have !indstrom out there getting prepared for second half of season and playoffs as his upside is bigger.

Brown can play though, so we should be fine. He may have a little adjustment period, will have to wait and see.

Fortunately it’s a home game against Eagles, should be a lot easier for offense to communicate presnap. This leads to less mistakes.

That stinks our first game had to be AT Minnesota with an offensive line of ours that needs time to gel.

gazoo likes this

4 hours ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

"Great rookie" is an optimistic outlook on his future.

1 hour ago, BAMF said:

3+ quarters of football where he did not allow even a pressure on a day MR2 was running for his life.  That's great isn't it? He is a rookie isn't he?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

16 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

If Brown's immediate skill is greater than Lindstrom, how many games would presumably be needed for Lindstrom's skill to exceed Brown?

If the Falcons rebound in the next 8 games with Brown starting and they have a record of perhaps 5-3? 6-2? 7-1?, should they even consider starting Lindstrom when he becomes available?

Would they need to consider leaving Lindstrom's starting chance until next season? inserting him in the playoff stretch would presumably downgrade the offense initially?

If the team is winning as of mid-2019 and the offensive line has played together successfully as a single unit for multiple weeks (similar to our 2016 group), should the Falcons even consider replacing Brown with Lindstrom even if the latter is perhaps more talented?

Tune in next time to Dragon Ball Z with all those questions...sheesh

But in all seriousness I have pondered the same.  The Giants signaled that their running game last year was boosted once Jamon was inserted.  If our run game can get established then our passing game will improve as well through playaction.

While Lindstrom was looking promising, having an established vet at the position is comforting.  I believe if all goes well that Jamon will continue to start then maybe we can use him as trade bait next year.

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

That stinks our first game had to be AT Minnesota with an offensive line of ours that needs time to gel.

Since  the offensive lineman and skill position players on offense have not played many snaps together, the ability to communicate verbally is critical until they can gel. 

Coming back to play at home is a really big help. I’m e we have played next to each other enough, each player will have a much better idea what the other is doing and verbal communication is less critical.

This goes for defense as well

Falcons Fan MVP likes this