Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vel

Rise Up...or Get Gone! Scouting the Opponent: The Philadelphia Eagles

Recommended Posts

I wanted to show all of those breakdowns to show what will happen, repeatedly, if they don't clean it up and play better football. They were embarrassing versus the Vikings. The Eagles will exploit it just the same way, with much greater results, if they play the same way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

When have we ever played disciplined? No shade, I was legit thinking of a game I could watch where we faced a lot of motion and couldn’t think of any film I could go back to under Quinn. Maybe a Carolina game, but usually we beat them when we get a decent enough lead where they get out of their option offense...anybody got any games they can think of?

Rams postseason game. Eagles postseason game. Eagles week one game. Packers postseason game. Seahawks postseason game. Saints color rush game. 

They get up for primetime. They don't look bad in primetime under DQ. That's a fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Frustrating......but fixable

It's fixable. It's mainly want to. I just showed how Washington's LBs looked just as stupid. Basic stuff for NFL LBs. HeIl, I'm a casual fan and I even catch myself counting the box before every snap. The fact that they aren't is because they are being lazy. Can't out play laziness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

11 interesting tidbits from Eagles’ Pro Football Focus grades in Week 1 Redskins win | Jason Peters, DeSean Jackson stellar, others struggle

That was also enough time for Pro Football Focus to dole out grades for their performance.

Here are 11 interesting tidbits we found in their Week 1 grading ...

QB Carson Wentz: He had the third-highest grade of any quarterback in the NFL in Week 1 behind Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson. It was actually the best overall grade of Wentz’s career so far.

Most impressively, Wentz was 9 of 10 for 141 yards and two touchdowns while under pressure, the best completion percentage in the league among quarterbacks with at least three attempts under pressure.

He also had the ninth-best adjusted completion percentage (78.4)

WR DeSean Jackson: He had the third-best grade among all wide receivers (min. 2 targets) in the NFL, had the second-most first downs (six) and Wentz had a perfect passer rating (158.3) when throwing to him. Only Jaguars’ D.J. Chark (139) had more deep receiving yards than Jackson (104).

Alshon Jeffery also graded as the 11th-best receiver in Week 1.

Running Backs: Jordan Howard (72.5) was the best-graded running back on the roster by a longshot ahead of Darren Sproles (63.5) and Miles Sanders (56.3). Howard had the fifth-best yards after contact per attempt average (4.5) in the league for Week 1.

OT Jason Peters: The veteran was the second-best graded tackle in the NFL and third-best offensive lineman overall. He was No. 1 among tackles in pass-blocking and didn’t allow a single pressure and played every snap for the Eagles. Truly stellar season debut from the future Hall-of-Famer.

G Brandon Brooks: In his return to action, Brooks didn’t allow a single pressure either, though he only played 54 of 74 offensive snaps as he was on a “pitch count.” He graded as the second-best guard in the NFL for Week 1.

DE Brandon Graham: He’s not starting off slow this year. Graham had six total pressures, including five hurries, and was the Eagles’ best-graded defensive player by a long-shot. He was also the fifth-best defensive end overall and second among all defensive ends in run defense.

Derek Barnett also had four pressures, with three hits.

DT Fletcher Cox: Despite missing most of training camp, Cox still had a solid day, garnering six total pressures, including two hits. He didn’t grade out well overall, though he certainly made an impact.

The rest of the defense: Graham (85.3) was the only one with an even decent overall grade on the team’s entire defense, with Vinny Curry (67.9) and Josh Sweat (65.5) in second and third.

It’s no secret that the secondary struggled, and the linebackers didn’t help much either. Some notable poorly graded performances ...

- LB Nigel Bradham: He had the fifth-worst tackling grade among all linebackers in the NFL. PFF had him with three missed tackles and for allowing seven catches on all seven targets in his coverage area.

- Cornerbacks: Avonte Maddox and Rasul Douglas graded as the 11th and 16th-worst cornerbacks (min. 25 snaps) out of 79 overall. Redskins QB Case Keenum had a perfect passer rating when throwing into Douglas’ coverage area.

- Safety Malcolm Jenkins actually graded as the 13th-worst safety (min. 25 snaps) out of 60, while Rodney McLeod had the ninth-worst tackling grade in the same subset. Keenum also had a perfect passer rating when throwing into Andrew Sendejo’s coverage area.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/09/11-interesting-tidbits-from-eagles-pro-football-focus-grades-in-week-1-redskins-win-jason-peters-desean-jackson-stellar-others-struggle.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rest of the defense: Graham (85.3) was the only one with an even decent overall grade on the team’s entire defense, with Vinny Curry (67.9) and Josh Sweat (65.5) in second and third.

It’s no secret that the secondary struggled, and the linebackers didn’t help much either. Some notable poorly graded performances ...

- LB Nigel Bradham: He had the fifth-worst tackling grade among all linebackers in the NFL. PFF had him with three missed tackles and for allowing seven catches on all seven targets in his coverage area.

- Cornerbacks: Avonte Maddox and Rasul Douglas graded as the 11th and 16th-worst cornerbacks (min. 25 snaps) out of 79 overall. Redskins QB Case Keenum had a perfect passer rating when throwing into Douglas’ coverage area.

- Safety Malcolm Jenkins actually graded as the 13th-worst safety (min. 25 snaps) out of 60, while Rodney McLeod had the ninth-worst tackling grade in the same subset. Keenum also had a perfect passer rating when throwing into Andrew Sendejo’s coverage area.

 

This is exactly why I made the first post I made in this thread. They can definitely be had. That deep verticals game plan better be installed this week from the start and not later on in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to use Marta Special on this game...

Think outside the box..use Sanu as Q.B in wildcat....bubble screen, and get the running game going.

If they dont protect Matt Ryan....none of what our defense does will matter.

Eagles 31- Falcons 24 

**Expect media calling out for D.Q to get fired**

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LT Jason Peters, Philadelphia

Eagles. Peters was once again a force in pass protection for the Eagles in their win over the Redskins. The Eagles dropped back to pass 41 times with him on the field, and he produced a 100.0 pass-blocking efficiency rating with no sacks, hits or hurries allowed.

Who's getting past Jason Peters?

Hows Dan Quinn going to contain Wentz and deep ball threats with both Jackson and Jeffrey capable of making our C.Bs silly! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@vel, I've always felt that our worst 2 matchups are the Eagles and Vikings. I said I didn't feel good about the game last week. This week is a little different. Typically, when a good team plays like crap, they bounce back and play well the following week. I have no doubt that the team is pissed and embarrassed. They are going to be mad on Sunday. Mix that in with a home game, I see a win coming, or at least a game of mistake free ball from us. 

The reality is, the game was a blowout because of the Falcons mental errors, not because the Vikings are so much better than the Falcons. Both interceptions were atrocious and very costly. As was Freeman's fumble. The blocked punt was also awful. This isn't going to happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Vel for taking the time to go into such minute detail on our next opponent each week. It's encouraging to see different weaknesses and areas that we can exploit. The frustrating thing is, the Falcons are so busy beating themselves with sloppy play, mental errors, stupid penalties and turnovers, they look like they don't even belong on the same field as teams like the Vikings ~ and probably the Eagles this week.

I don't envy Dan Quinn. His team is reeling when it should be flying high and further performances like Week 1 will really put him in the cross-hairs. My expectation is that the Falcons will lose this game. The real question is will they be able to get their shlt together enough not to be blown out and embarrassed on national television. At this point that's as much as I can hope for ~ the team will at least look respectable while getting their as beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

@vel, I've always felt that our worst 2 matchups are the Eagles and Vikings. I said I didn't feel good about the game last week. This week is a little different. Typically, when a good team plays like crap, they bounce back and play well the following week. I have no doubt that the team is pissed and embarrassed. They are going to be mad on Sunday. Mix that in with a home game, I see a win coming, or at least a game of mistake free ball from us. 

The reality is, the game was a blowout because of the Falcons mental errors, not because the Vikings are so much better than the Falcons. Both interceptions were atrocious and very costly. As was Freeman's fumble. The blocked punt was also awful. This isn't going to happen again.

I love my Falcons but I'm not a homer.

I rewatched the tape about 6 times....we sucked in trenches especially offensive side of the ball and in our run defense.

Vikings are by all means way better and they showed from the 1st Snap of the game...sacking Matt Ryan.

Our team was complacent,  unprepared, outcoached  and definitely on defensive side not talented compared to Vikings defense.

I mean how many times do you see a team taking untimely timeouts .....it was soo bizarre Dan Quinn had no clue what hit him....and then we kept forcing it to Julio. 

Zero Creativity....

Good teams do get beat, Good teams do get down by double digits in a game happens but, how you make adjustments during half time is absolutely paramount and hallmark of a great team.

I understand this was a loss on road before season started but, we all agree here there are deeper issues to this team on how they got blown out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

I love my Falcons but I'm not a homer.

I rewatched the tape about 6 times....we sucked in trenches especially offensive side of the ball and in our run defense.

Vikings are by all means way better and they showed from the 1st Snap of the game...sacking Matt Ryan.

Our team was complacent,  unprepared, outcoached  and definitely on defensive side not talented compared to Vikings defense.

I mean how many times do you see a team taking untimely timeouts .....it was soo bizarre Dan Quinn had no clue what hit him....and then we kept forcing it to Julio. 

Zero Creativity....

Good teams do get beat, Good teams do get down by double digits in a game happens but, how you make adjustments during half time is absolutely paramount and hallmark of a great team.

I understand this was a loss on road before season started but, we all agree here there are deeper issues to this team on how they got blown out.

 

I disagree. You’re reading way too much into one game. Simplify it. Interception in the end zone is bad. Blocked punt deep in your own territory is bad. Fumbling in the red zone is bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I disagree. You’re reading way too much into one game. Simplify it. Interception in the end zone is bad. Blocked punt deep in your own territory is bad. Fumbling in the red zone is bad. 

Sacks on Matt Ryan?

Why is it that we consistently fail to give our 100 million dollar man some extra seconds.

Guys like Freeman who are veterans missing key blocks game after game....

Lack of execution and discipline has been my problem with this team not talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Sacks on Matt Ryan?

Why is it that we consistently fail to give our 100 million dollar man some extra seconds.

Guys like Freeman who are veterans missing key blocks game after game....

Lack of execution and discipline has been my problem with this team not talent.

Maybe because the starters didn’t play really at all in the preseason and are also working with new coordinators? Is that on Quinn? Definitely. But it doesn’t define who this team is for the entire season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Maybe because the starters didn’t play really at all in the preseason and are also working with new coordinators? Is that on Quinn? Definitely. But it doesn’t define who this team is for the entire season

I agree that one game doesn't define a full season BUT at some point we're gonna have to stop using the not playing in pre season excuse. There are a TON of starters not touching preseason in today in todays NFL and they don't all come out the gate looking this lost. I mean sheesh, what are they gonna do when they break it down to 2 pre season games and extend the season?? Let's be honest about it.

We were told over and over again that the voluntary activities transferred on to the field on Sunday. All but one person was there, do we finally debunk that myth now or do we keep looking for reasons to complain if certain players aren't around??

There were moments Sunday when the Falcons defense especially looked great. There were times the offense was rolling but mistakes took away opportunities. It's gonna happen to the best of them, even everyone's beloved Patriots.

The players receive playbooks as soon as they are signed and players on the roster receive playbooks as soon as the new coaches are hired (unless my understanding is wrong). Before training camp even officially starts they are out learning and running the plays so there should be absolutely no reason to make any excuses about the players working with the new coordinators IMO. It all boils down to execution no matter how anyone tries to stir it. Next thing you know the coaches are going to be scapegoats again. Then again that's already happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I agree that one game doesn't define a full season BUT at some point we're gonna have to stop using the not playing in pre season excuse. There are a TON of starters not touching preseason in today in todays NFL and they don't all come out the gate looking this lost. I mean sheesh, what are they gonna do when they break it down to 2 pre season games and extend the season?? Let's be honest about it.

We were told over and over again that the voluntary activities transferred on to the field on Sunday. All but one person was there, do we finally debunk that myth now or do we keep looking for reasons to complain if certain players aren't around??

There were moments Sunday when the Falcons defense especially looked great. There were times the offense was rolling but mistakes took away opportunities. It's gonna happen to the best of them, even everyone's beloved Patriots.

The players receive playbooks as soon as they are signed and players on the roster receive playbooks as soon as the new coaches are hired (unless my understanding is wrong). Before training camp even officially starts they are out learning and running the plays so there should be absolutely no reason to make any excuses about the players working with the new coordinators IMO. It all boils down to execution no matter how anyone tries to stir it. Next thing you know the coaches are going to be scapegoats again. Then again that's already happening.

Oh I'm not making excuses for the team or for Quinn. I have always been in the camp that says "preseason doesn't matter". I'm simply just providing an explanation for why exactly the team made so many mental errors is all. And that I ultimately feel pretty confident in the teams talent that it'll end up being ok. To me, a reality check is when the team lost to the Jets on MNF in 2013. It was that loss when I realized, the Falcons are a legit bottom 5 team. The loss last year to Cincy was when I realized, the Falcons are a legit bottom 5 team. On the flip side, when the Falcons beat Denver in 2016 in week 5, I knew the team was good. It sort of goes both ways. I just don't pass any real judgement on what the team really is until about week 4 or 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Oh I'm not making excuses for the team or for Quinn. I have always been in the camp that says "preseason doesn't matter". I'm simply just providing an explanation for why exactly the team made so many mental errors is all. And that I ultimately feel pretty confident in the teams talent that it'll end up being ok. To me, a reality check is when the team lost to the Jets on MNF in 2013. It was that loss when I realized, the Falcons are a legit bottom 5 team. The loss last year to Cincy was when I realized, the Falcons are a legit bottom 5 team. On the flip side, when the Falcons beat Denver in 2016 in week 5, I knew the team was good. It sort of goes both ways. I just don't pass any real judgement on what the team really is until about week 4 or 5. 

If it was a roster mostly filled with rookies then the mental errors would be expected and acceptable. Outside of 3 players on both defense and offense, everyone else has been in the league multiple years and are established outside of Ridley who is only 2 years in. Those types of mental errors are completely unacceptable and I have no issue with someone having legitimate gripes. All of the other foolishness such as fire this guy or trade this guy is irrelevant. I'm more of a wait until midseason type of guy before I place true judgement. I don't believe in the "this team got hot, why can't the Falcons" talk either. That's irrelevant as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

If it was a roster mostly filled with rookies then the mental errors would be expected and acceptable. Outside of 3 players on both defense and offense, everyone else has been in the league multiple years and are established outside of Ridley who is only 2 years in. Those types of mental errors are completely unacceptable and I have no issue with someone having legitimate gripes. All of the other foolishness such as fire this guy or trade this guy is irrelevant. I'm more of a wait until midseason type of guy before I place true judgement. I don't believe in the "this team got hot, why can't the Falcons" talk either. That's irrelevant as well.

Yep. Losses like the one we just had are the most critical for head coaches. Not the loss itself, but how the team responds. I know, I know, Patriots...but remember the infamous "We're on to Cincinnati" press conference from Belichick? Team completely laid an egg against the Chiefs. Just an embarrassing loss by the GOAT of all coaches. They responded quite well to that...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FentayeJones said:

 

He's not wrong. I just said it on Twitter, Cook saw they were just giving him the edge and he didn't even bother following his fullback a couple of times. I think the TD to the left, the FB goes inside of the OT/TE and Cook just takes the edge as fast as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yep. Losses like the one we just had are the most critical for head coaches. Not the loss itself, but how the team responds. I know, I know, Patriots...but remember the infamous "We're on to Cincinnati" press conference from Belichick? Team completely laid an egg against the Chiefs. Just an embarrassing loss by the GOAT of all coaches. They responded quite well to that...lol

Yeah. I wouldn’t be surprised if they look over opponents weekly BTS. If they’ve earned anything, they’ve definitely earned that approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Sacks on Matt Ryan?

Why is it that we consistently fail to give our 100 million dollar man some extra seconds.

Guys like Freeman who are veterans missing key blocks game after game....

Lack of execution and discipline has been my problem with this team not talent.

I’ll have to rewatch the game but the o line was beta on blitzes where they sent more than we could block, they sent guys on delayed blitzes where communication was messed up, or guys were beat with speed or a counter. 

I didn’t really see too much man handling. Their run game was about getting the Big boys in space to block. I wouldn’t call that man handling. 

I watched some very creative blocking schemes that worked very well. I wish we could’ve gotten an O line coach from the Kubiak/Shanny tree. I think CMo is from the Gruden tree? I’ll have to look more at his history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

I’ll have to rewatch the game but the o line was beta on blitzes where they sent more than we could block, they sent guys on delayed blitzes where communication was messed up, or guys were beat with speed or a counter. 

I didn’t really see too much man handling. Their run game was about getting the Big boys in space to block. I wouldn’t call that man handling. 

I watched some very creative blocking schemes that worked very well. I wish we could’ve gotten an O line coach from the Kubiak/Shanny tree. I think CMo is from the Gruden tree? I’ll have to look more at his history. 

Go back and watch Jake Matthews. Don't want anybody else. You will cringe for 60 minutes. It's very hard to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vel said:

Go back and watch Jake Matthews. Don't want anybody else. You will cringe for 60 minutes. It's very hard to watch. 

I saw the two spin moves that ate him up. Was he getting beat on other plays? I wonder if maybe they ran to the left to attempt to neutralize the blitz. I’m still wondering why they didn’t run right with Lindstrom and Kaleb in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

 

I was just about to post this.  All the mistake that were made are correctable.

Bad technique by Jake on the spin moves head down and lunging

Takk trying to do too much and not keeping contain

Beasley not running through the QB

Matt forcing throws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Maybe because the starters didn’t play really at all in the preseason and are also working with new coordinators? Is that on Quinn? Definitely. But it doesn’t define who this team is for the entire season

You are right, I can only speak on pivotal losses under Dan Quinn era and the post analysis of the outcome is the same everytime....we get beat in trenches.

Sounds like we are beating on a dead horse but, can you in good conscience say for fact we are a better team than what we were in Superbowl year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...