Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vel

Rise Up...or Get Gone! Scouting the Opponent: The Philadelphia Eagles

106 posts in this topic

Welp. The Falcons just got their butts kicked in Minnesota. It was ugly. The Falcons got off the bus and got the yips. It happens. You don't want it to happen week one, but if you thought the Falcons were going to play 16 games of great, flawless football, you must be new here. I'm not excusing the performance away, not in the slightest. But I said it last week, if they didn't stop the run it would be a long game. They didn't. Add in several of our key players have very subpar days (Matt, Jake, Freeman, Neal, Takk) and you get a 28-0 kick your teeth in butt whooping. 

Falcons are 0-1. It's one game. One week. On to Philadelphia.

Image result for eagles logo

Head Coach: Doug Pedersen
Offensive Style: West Coast on 2019 Drugs
Defensive Style: Aggressive, attacking 4-3 defense

2018 Record: 9-7

The Way I See It: This game is no different than the Vikings game. The only difference? The good guys are at home. The bad part? The Falcons are only 18-14 at home under DQ. There is no home field advantage in this one.  The Falcons just got embarrassed. What are they going to do about it? Right now, the fans have no reason to show up for this one other than it being the home opener. But if they stink it up early, the boo birds will be out and the Falcons just might get embarrassed at home on prime time television. This is going to be a very big test to see what kind of coach DQ is. The offense was taken advantage of out of the gate. The defense didn't play any kind of assignment football. You better believe all of this is on tape now and going to be attacked. If the defense wants to prove they are good, they better show up this week. They clearly heard all of the talk about everyone being healthy and the defense should be good. None of that matters if you don't come to play. The Vikings showed you that first hand. 

How We Match Up: Same as the Vikings game. We match up well on paper. Some fans are intimidated by the Eagles. Boo hoo for them. For me, they are a good team. As usual. But we've been right there on their heels the last two times we played. Fans talk about their OL mauling us, yet that didn't happen either of the last two times we played. We get them at home this time. Pissed. We saw Grady, Davison, and Bailey give the Vikings interior fits. If they can recreate that, I like their chances of getting after the Eagles. I like how the defense matches up across the board. I'm not saying it's an advantage, but it's more push than anything. As for the offense....WAKE TF UP!!! Jake needs to play better. They need to have their sh*t together on Sunday. If they play to their level, they can light this defense up. Case Keenum put up 380 yards, 3 TDs, no INTs, and an 8.6 YPA. He torched them. No way around it. If they play up to their talent level, they can put up points. It's just a matter of if...

When the Falcons are on Offense: Matt got his usual week one stinker out of the way. Since DQ has been here, Matt has averaged a 113.1 passer rating with a 7:2 TD/INT ratio in week two compared to 94.1 passer rating and a 5:3 split in week one. If there is one guy I'm putting money on, it's Matthew Thomas Ryan. He bounces back, this team can win. The last two games versus Philly on the road, he's been bad. But he's at home this time and fresh off a terrible game. He rarely puts two of these together. Like I noted above, Case Keenum lit this group up in week one. Matt can do that. The Eagles tend to be more aggressive but at times less disciplined. Sark refused to exploit this the two times in a row. If Koetter and Co. want to go home early, do the same. They need to exploit this secondary. Keenum had guys running wide open all game. With lesser talent. They need to win this match up consistently. The OL should be able to get some movement, especially with Brown in the game. Lindstrom is easily the better pass protector but Brown can maul in the run game. That 6'5 340lb man needs to earn his check Sunday. They don't need 100 yards, but they need balance and the threat of Freeman and Co breaking loose. Keep the offense in 2nd/3rd and manageable situations. I'm expecting a big bounce back game from everybody on this side of the ball. Koetter, Matt, Jake, Freeman. Everybody. Too much money and talent to score 0 points for a full game (**** the 12 points they were gifted). 

When the Falcons are on Defense: Shut the **** up and prove you're good. The talent is there. You smelled your own sh*t all offseason and found out it stunk on Sunday. That's what you get. If I was DQ, I'd have this tape on loop. I'd cut up the ugliest plays and have it on loop. Neal getting blown up on the edges. Takk looking like a dumb***. Vic jogging for a QB hit. Campbell looking stupid. Debo getting run over. All of it. Shut up and prove you are good. Nobody cares what you should be, cuz right now the 2019 tape says you are a bunch of jokes. They know they are a talented group. They can match up with anybody. We know that. You saw glimpses of it Sunday. But if you aren't tough enough to bounce back with your offense doing everything they could to throw the game, then you suck. Plain and simple. You're soft and everybody is going to shove the ball down your throat. Forget rushing the passer, every Sunday is going to be a run defense clinic until you prove otherwise. Jason Peters is going to maul Vic Beasley. Lane Johnson is going to laugh at Takk. I'm prepared for both happening. Grady is the only baller on defense right now. He'll look decent, but unless somebody shows up, it won't matter. Davison showed well. Bailey was decent. Clayborn was bad. Crawford was MIA. Everybody wants to be a hero. I want to find out who are the villains on this team. Who's ready to ruin somebody's day? Grady and....? Beyond that, Pedersen is going to test this teams discipline. He knows they are prepared to sell out on the edges. He'll be ready to counter it. He's got a legit stable of backs and is using them (unlike Atlanta...). His three backs carried the ball 26 times for 116 yards and 4.5 ypc. Varied rushing attack. He knows we'll be preparing to slow down DJax from replicating his fire show. Alshon and Ertz are next up for the light show. Are the Falcons ready to slow them down? They have the players. Will they play? I have no clue and don't care to project they will.

Vegas Line: Vegas has the Eagles as a 1 point road favorite, with the o/u set at 51. Take it for what you will. 

Prediction: Again, this one is no different than the Vikings game. The last two times we played, the scores were 15-10 and 18-12, both Falcon losses. One score games. Will this one be the same? Who knows? Depends on which Falcons team shows up. The one from Sunday that didn't know which way was up? Or the one that can be overwhelming on defense and scary on offense? I'm usually optimistic about this team, but they don't deserve it this week. Welcome to Missouri. Show me. I'll believe it after this one. 

7 minutes ago, vel said:

How We Match Up: Same as the Vikings game. We match up well on paper. Some fans are intimidated by the Eagles. Boo hoo for them. For me, they are a good team. As usual. But we've been right there on their heels the last two times we played. Fans talk about their OL mauling us, yet that didn't happen either of the last two times we played. We get them at home this time. Pissed. We saw Grady, Davison, and Bailey give the Vikings interior fits. If they can recreate that, I like their chances of getting after the Eagles. I like how the defense matches up across the board. I'm not saying it's an advantage, but it's more push than anything. As for the offense....WAKE TF UP!!! Jake needs to play better. They need to have their sh*t together on Sunday. If they play to their level, they can light this defense up. Case Keenum put up 380 yards, 3 TDs, no INTs, and an 8.6 YPA. He torched them. No way around it. If they play up to their talent level, they can put up points. It's just a matter of if...

Vikings weak link was the interior oline which is probably why they went to attack the edges.

Eagles don't have that problem so it's going to be a different matchup.  Grady is Grady but I'm not sure we're going to be seeing the rest of the dline giving the Vikings Interior fits.

I also disagree about matching up well on Paper.  Falcons WRs are probably better than their secondary but I don't like the matchup in the trenches.  Especially our oline against their dline.

McMVP, sdogg and HouseofEuphoria like this

7 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Vikings weak link was the interior oline which is probably why they went to attack the edges.

Eagles don't have that problem so it's going to be a different matchup.  Grady is Grady but I'm not sure we're going to be seeing the rest of the dline giving the Vikings Interior fits.

I also disagree about matching up well on Paper.  Falcons WRs are probably better than their secondary but I don't like the matchup in the trenches.  Especially our oline against their dline.

I disagree. Yes, their DL is better, but overall, it's a push in terms of the whole unit match up. They lost Malik Jackson. They puts Jernigan in, who isn't a pass rush threat. Barnett, Graham, and Cox are no different than Griffen, Hunter, and Joseph. We didn't run well, but they moved the ball plenty versus the Vikings. Again, you don't get red zone turnovers unless you make it to the red zone. Matt's pick and Freeman's fumble were in scoring position. Two potential TDs in a game we lost by two TDs. (Edit: And the Redskins did their work with Ereck Flowers at LG...)

I think our interior is stronger this year. Again, we didn't get pushed around the last two years against the same OL. Add in Bailey and Davison, they should be able to play this game this year. But like I pointed out, it won't matter if Vic and Takk are getting destroyed. 

2 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Eagles, like the Vikings, play their best defensive ball at home. Hopefully we do better at home with a half a crowd. 

People got to get their $1.50 hot dogs!

VTCrunkler likes this

The falcons were able to slow down the vikings pass rush when we went more up tempo/no huddle.

Hopefully we see more of that.

I expect Julio to have a big game aswell.

Like Matt he rarely has 2 poor games back to back.

On defense...... Discipline should be the key word of the week.

When we had it Sunday.....we held Cook in check

When we didn't....he averaged 20 yards a rush

Flyin' In DC likes this

If Devonta Freeman looks as weak as he did last Sunday this coaching staff had better show the balls enough to sit his *** down and roll with Ito and Ollison.   At a very ugly 0-1, this team can't afford to wait around for the running game to produce.  And loyalty to Freeman just because he's 'our guy'...well, loyalty is something NFL coaches can't afford when they're under the microscope.  

And oh goody, we've already lost Lindstrom for at least two months and will now pray his backup doesn't get Matt murdered.   

Having said that...yeah, it's only 0-1 and this team has talent...but heart?  

Falcon football.  It hurts. 

Watched the condensed of the Philly/Washington game. Philly looked extremely slower than usual on defense in the first half. Their secondary looked suspect as ****. Washington screwed up when they tried to man up on Jackson. There aren’t many people in the league today that’s going to match his speed stride for stride. The second touchdown the corner literally gave up on the play. They can be beaten but you got to be physical and smart. Can’t overthink anything

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Watched the condensed of the Philly/Washington game. Philly looked extremely slower than usual on defense in the first half. Their secondary looked suspect as ****. Washington screwed up when they tried to man up on Jackson. There aren’t many people in the league today that’s going to match his speed stride for stride. The second touchdown the corner literally gave up on the play. They can be beaten but you got to be physical and smart. Can’t overthink anything

Man Washington's defense went stupid in the second half. No situational awareness. Biting on flat routes on 3rd & longs. Just stupid. Even the second bomb to DJax was just stupid awareness by Norman biting on underneath routes. The looked worse than the Texans did last night. 

If Ridley doesn't get a steady dose of deep posts all game when Sidney Jones is lined up on him, Koetter should be fired. He couldn't run with McLaurin and it was obvious. They better not come out scared of this Philly DL. They did not look present. Ereck Flowers looked competent against them. They'll have to blitz to get pressure and the Falcons better be ready. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Man Washington's defense went stupid in the second half. No situational awareness. Biting on flat routes on 3rd & longs. Just stupid. Even the second bomb to DJax was just stupid awareness by Norman biting on underneath routes. The looked worse than the Texans did last night. 

If Ridley doesn't get a steady dose of deep posts all game when Sidney Jones is lined up on him, Koetter should be fired. He couldn't run with McLaurin and it was obvious. They better not come out scared of this Philly DL. They did not look present. Ereck Flowers looked competent against them. They'll have to blitz to get pressure and the Falcons better be ready. 

It was confusing that Sanu, Ridley and Hooper weren’t utilized early on. The main focus was trying to establish the run(understandably) and force it to Julio. It was nice to see Hardy capitalize on a few of those but I also like seeing the other playmakers utilized early on. 

I remember a game last season where I was complaining about Julio having like 10 targets and no one else had a single target and I got bitched at for wanting to get the others involved. That game the other guys didn’t receive a single target until late in the second quarter. That’s unacceptable IMO when your other playmakers are more than capable. This is the perfect week to spread the ball early and often. 

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

It was confusing that Sanu, Ridley and Hooper weren’t utilized early on. The main focus was trying to establish the run(understandably) and force it to Julio. It was nice to see Hardy capitalize on a few of those but I also like seeing the other playmakers utilized early on. 

I remember a game last season where I was complaining about Julio having like 10 targets and no one else had a single target and I got bitched at for wanting to get the others involved. That game the other guys didn’t receive a single target until late in the second quarter. That’s unacceptable IMO when your other playmakers are more than capable. This is the perfect week to spread the ball early and often. 

Literally have a cupboard running over with playmakers and we make it look so hard. Part of that is Matt though. Guys were open. But he just does this sometimes. Did it last year with the Eagles. Sometimes you gotta grab ya nuts and not care what the defense is trying to do and prove you have the players to beat anybody. Forcing a ball to a triple covered Julio isn't that though. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Literally have a cupboard running over with playmakers and we make it look so hard. Part of that is Matt though. Guys were open. But he just does this sometimes. Did it last year with the Eagles. Sometimes you gotta grab ya nuts and not care what the defense is trying to do and prove you have the players to beat anybody. Forcing a ball to a triple covered Julio isn't that though. 

Dam sure isn’t. 

PokerSteve likes this

Sproles had some nice stretch plays to the outside. They used some misdirection with the offensive line as well. Vic and Takk need to be disciplined. 

Exhibit A:

What in the heIl is Devondre doing? Everybody else is going to see this as a front side issue, but this play is lost before the snap because your 4th year LB can't even get in the proper gap when it's in his ******** face! As a result, the LG is able to get to the second level and cut him, when he shouldn't even be there. Campbell should be running off of Davison's back hip. Everything is flowing correctly, it gets turned inside correctly, but the LB that's supposed to fill is absent. Instead of a gain of 3-5, it's a gain of 20. 

21 minutes ago, vel said:

Exhibit A:

What in the heIl is Devondre doing? Everybody else is going to see this as a front side issue, but this play is lost before the snap because your 4th year LB can't even get in the proper gap when it's in his ******** face! As a result, the LG is able to get to the second level and cut him, when he shouldn't even be there. Campbell should be running off of Davison's back hip. Everything is flowing correctly, it gets turned inside correctly, but the LB that's supposed to fill is absent. Instead of a gain of 3-5, it's a gain of 20. 

Frustrating......but fixable

As a football fan, I love Philly's social media contingent. They have a ton of guys who breakdown film quickly on Twitter. 

Question: Who the heIl thought having your MLB as the deepest defender at midfield was smart? 

Man the Eagles are going to kill our defense if they aren't disciplined. Eye discipline, gap discipline, assignment discipline. Everything. The moment you start doing someone else's job, the big plays happen. 

Washington built a big lead, but the Eagles opened the second half taking advantage of the lack of eye discipline from the LBs. Several plays of guys just not manning their gap because of phantom motion. Do your job and you won't have these issues. 

Here's another one:

In the second run specifically, you see #55 just lose contain. Again, basics. Turn the play inside to your help. You have no help to the sideline. If he turns that play inside, the LB is coming to help. Instead, he sticks his head inside on a play he has no chance of making, gives his LB no chance to make the play, and Sproles picks up an easy first down. 

Third play, you have two gaps unaccounted for at the snap. Basics. Just count the gaps and get a man in each one to start the play at least. That's rec ball. Of course it leads to a massive hole and a big gain. Just basic fundamental football not being played at the pro level. Shame. 

The last play the same thing happens. A gap unaccounted for between the TEs. Basics. Puts the LB in a two gap bind. Either way he's wrong. Just bad football. 

When have we ever played disciplined? No shade, I was legit thinking of a game I could watch where we faced a lot of motion and couldn’t think of any film I could go back to under Quinn. Maybe a Carolina game, but usually we beat them when we get a decent enough lead where they get out of their option offense...anybody got any games they can think of?

PokerSteve and sdogg like this

Man...

Again, first play. You can even see from the still frame. An accounted for gap. Safety is too far removed to be included in run fits. He's in no man's land. Just watch the B gap right in front of Sproles. That's the safety's responsibility. The worst part is I don't think there is anybody to his side for him to guard because he never takes his eyes off the OL. He's looking into the backfield the entire time for a run, but is nowhere close to even defend it. Bad football. 

Second play. Same thing. Rinse. Repeat. Just piss poor football. The worst part is when he shows the sideline angle, you see just how far the safety and corner are playing from the box. Not one WR on that side of the field. 6 man box versus a 6 man front. Asking to get ran on. To make it even worse! They play the exact same assignment and leverage. They look like mirror images out there.