Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flyin' In DC

My Positive View

17 posts in this topic

So I know the world is coming to an end and the TD and DQ won't make it to the end of the season and yada, yada, yada. I didn't like the way the game turned out Sunday because I know this team is way better than they showed in Minnesota. I think the Vikings are going to be a really hard team to beat this year so I am taking this loss with a grain of salt. I am also not calling for our coach to be fired after one game.

So what happens if we come out and beat the Eagles? A solid game across all 3 phases? What if we blow them out? I choose to look at this more like the 2016 season when we lost to the Bucs at home that year and went on to do great things, if I remember correctly. 

2 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

So I know the world is coming to an end and the TD and DQ won't make it to the end of the season and yada, yada, yada. I didn't like the way the game turned out Sunday because I know this team is way better than they showed in Minnesota. I think the Vikings are going to be a really hard team to beat this year so I am taking this loss with a grain of salt. I am also not calling for our coach to be fired after one game.

So what happens if we come out and beat the Eagles? A solid game across all 3 phases? What if we blow them out? I choose to look at this more like the 2016 season when we lost to the Bucs at home that year and went on to do great things, if I remember correctly. 

All will be forgiven but in every game the question in the back of everyone's minds will be 'What if that team that played in Minnesota shows up?'

I remain optimistic, but I think that Bucs game gets thrown out too much.  We did score 24 points in that game.  We brought it within 10 by the end of the 3rd quarter and held the Bucs scoreless in the 4th.  We had 3 possessions in the 4th, where we punted, scored a FG, and turned it over on downs to end the game.  We were in that game.  We just didn't close it.

We straight crapped the bed on Sunday.  Two very, very different situations.  The only upside is the Bucs went 9-7 and were out of the playoffs, whereas I think the Vikings are going to go deep in the playoffs this season.  The team that blew us out Sunday is a much better team than that Bucs team.  If you have to lose, that's who you'd rather lose against.  Especially when player execution was horrible.

17 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

All will be forgiven but in every game the question in the back of everyone's minds will be 'What if that team that played in Minnesota shows up?'

If that team that showed up in Minnesota shows up for Philly, then you're going to see a 50-fold increase in threads calling for Dan Quinn's head because the team that showed up to play the Vikings couldn't beat the American Legion Senior multi-amputee team. So many have said, "well if we hadn't had those turnovers it would've been a close game..." Playing "what If" is such a legendary way to avoid reality. lol

I was thinking and wondering last night if there was any football team in the United States above Recreation league that had four turn-overs ~ not to mention the ultimate indignity of a blocked punt ~in their first game of the new season. Did any college team at any level display that kind of colossal, epic failure this past weekend? I'm sure no pro team did. Except of course us.

16 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

What if we don't?

Just now, Malachore said:

What if we don't?

I look at it this way. The Falcons played way below what they are capable of playing against a team(at home) that I THINK is way better top to bottom than the Eagles. That gives me hope that this coaching staff can correct those issues and they will play much better than they did this week.

If you want to look at the negative than that is on you

JDaveG likes this

12 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I'm taking this one game at a time. Using Week 1 to judge a team is usually a fool's quest.

The problem is that many fans are not judging this team by just Week 1 but instead by Week 1 PLUS a terrible preseason, a disappointing prior season and more.

I am hoping something positive happens for this team in week 2 or soon thereafter but prior history has me prepared to accept a further drop.

PokerSteve likes this

This team clearly doesn't pass the eye test, stat test or any other test. If you look at us last year, then through 5 pre season games then game 1 you should have a pretty good idea as to what this team is.

What they are is weak, dis organized, penalty prone with bad lines on both sides of the ball.

This is the Falcons, they are not good, they will lose a lot of games. This is what they are.

JeffAtl likes this

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

If that team that showed up in Minnesota shows up for Philly, then you're going to see a 50-fold increase in threads calling for Dan Quinn's head because the team that showed up to play the Vikings couldn't beat the American Legion Senior multi-amputee team. So many have said, "well if we hadn't had those turnovers it would've been a close game..." Playing "what If" is such a legendary way to avoid reality. lol

I was thinking and wondering last night if there was any football team in the United States above Recreation league that had four turn-overs ~ not to mention the ultimate indignity of a blocked punt ~in their first game of the new season. Did any college team at any level display that kind of colossal, epic failure this past weekend? I'm sure no pro team did.

Yeah people have been so focused on the turnovers they’ve overlooked the last 2 TDS by the Vikings were 80 yard drives each.

Sure there were penalties but you can’t play that game.

Otherwise you might as well say ‘if we would have scored 5 TDS and stopped them from scoring we would have won that game’. It’s all make believe.

3 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I look at it this way. The Falcons played way below what they are capable of playing against a team(at home) that I THINK is way better top to bottom than the Eagles. That gives me hope that this coaching staff can correct those issues and they will play much better than they did this week.

If you want to look at the negative than that is on you

That didn't answer my question though.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

That didn't answer my question though.

I will answer yours if you answer mine. If the Team comes out and plays a good game, no dumb mistakes, no time mismanagement, etc. If they just lose to a better team I am fine with that.(I don't like losing but it happens in life). 

WHAT IF THEY WIN?

1 minute ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I will answer yours if you answer mine. If the Team comes out and plays a good game, no dumb mistakes, no time mismanagement, etc. If they just lose to a better team I am fine with that.(I don't like losing but it happens in life). 

WHAT IF THEY WIN?

If they win then some form of faith would be restored because the Eagles are a great team.

I don't believe all the players are as bad as Sunday but I do think the coaches are till they prove otherwise. 

Flyin' In DC likes this

It’s too early to be writing off the season . Everyone has at least 1 bad game, and no team is as bad as it’s worst performance (or as good as it best for one).

However, people have every right to be seriously concerned, because what we saw on Sunday was a continuation of problems we’ve had for a while. The poor preparation, bad fundamentals, lack of urgency,  stupid penalties, poor OL play and poor run defence aren’t new issues.

We’ve underperformed for the last 2 years, despite having a load of guys who are amongst the best paid in the NFL at their respective positions..