Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fiddlin John's Ghost

A Cornucopia of Fail....Analyzed in depth

33 posts in this topic

I dont know exactly what to blame for that absolute pathetic showing yesterday, but Dan Quinn as the head coach is soley and completely to blame. He is the head coach. Quinn is to blame for SB 51 debacle. Quinn is to blame for Sark and those wasted two years. Quinn is to blame for ket his defense being gashed in the running game, all of which were the same runs outside, no matter which rb was doing the gashing. Quinn is to blame for a offensive gameplan that played right into the vikes hands(Where were the screens and other pass rush beaters?)( Why was Matt early on standing in the pockebreingt trying to throw downfield until it was too late and they started throwing short passes to Hoop.

Here’sa breakdown of the stupid bonehead plays and how I saw them. Please lemme know if yall agree or not.

1.Very first play. 1st and 10. Matt drops back for a long developing play action pass and is killed from the blind side by a free rusher Matthews left untouched. Zimmer is known for blitzing. Their dline wet knew were all studs. And, doesn’t play action work better after you run the ball some?

How does Matthews, a veteran and pro bowler, not block a blitzer lined up right in front of him? It was sa boneheaded play call, a boneheaded play by Matthews who matter the protec23tion called should’ve blocked dude.

Either the falcons coaching staff is that incompetant, someone in the coaching box was proving a point, or someone in the coaching staff was sabotaging someone else.

That play set the tone and opened the flood gates of *** beat.

2nd down we get 4 yards on an honest to god running play, like we did most every time we ran straight ahead and wasnt trying to toss sweep or double reverse. Run that play on 1st down and it’s 2 and 6 vs 2nd and f4cked.

Then comes the blocked punt, for the second time instead of blcoking the man in front of them, they let him free and bad happens.

On that play, TE #87 Graham was lined up beside the long snapper, at the snap he lunged left leaving his man a free run to block the punt. Zimmers staff had saw this on tape before and exploited it. Dont know who this is on, surely to God he wasnt coached to do this. High school teams dont screw up punt protection this bad.

th

Anyway, the first disaster putting the defense in a bad spot.

Vikes 1st and 10, they bust the first of a long line of outside zone plays that gashed the falcons all night. It wasnt the vikes beating the falcons on these plays, the falcons were clueless defending these all night. No matter the rb, no matter what, the falcons didn’t contain, they werent gap sound, they bunched up way too close in pursuit to the edge.

This play got called back, but still, this is on Quinn. He has taken over the defense that has already been under his tutelage 5 seasons, and they epically failed defending the outside run….all night long.

Next play, 1 and 20, Cook caught a pass in the flat with Beasley defending. IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM SHOULD BEASLEY BE COVERING DALVIN COOK IN THE FLAT. At least he tackled him before he scored.

Then Oliver, who was one on one with Theilen all night, got abused and scored on. Theilen clearly pushed off, but this was the obvious bad match up in the passing game and would’ve been there all night. Why Quinn didn ‘t scheme some kinda man/zone to counter this bad matchup is beyond me. Even if Oliver wasnt young, his size and skill set does not match up well with Theilen. Oliver should’ve at least been physical at the LOS with Theilen.

OK...Vikes up 7-0. We still in the game.

Ensuing kick, Barner, who otherwise had a decent night returning, made a boneheaded play bringing the ball out of the end zone and getting tackled 10 yards shy of the 25. Boneheaded against the vikes, but not the worst.

Falcons 1st and 10 at their own 15. Ryan makes the first of two completely boneheaded INT’s that went on and killed the falcons completely. Ryan had no business throwing to Julio being he was bracketed. “He was trying to make a play” ********, it was 1st down, not 3rd. Again, instead of a normal straight ahead run that got us 4-5 yards a play all night, we did what we had no business doing throwing the ball there. Were we coaching for the vikes?

Vikes get the ball, and after another complete fail at defending the outside zone, blowing contain, not maintaining gap, etc….Cook scores. 14-0.

Next drive...instead of running the ball straight ahead, which was working, not dominating, but wo

rking, Koetter calls not one but two toss sweeps, which got blowed up, and a double reverse.

WOW.

On a second and 19, Julio put a slick double move on his defender, and even though the defender ran into and got run over by Julio(Which was clearly illegal contact btw and right infront of the ref)leaving him wide open for a TD, Ryan over threw him by 5 yards, missing a sure TD that would’ve made it a one score game.

ON 3rd and 19, Gage was open down the sideline for a 1st down and Ryan over threw him, almost getting Gage killed after he made an outstanding catch. For the second time in a row, Ryan missed a wide open throw that either scores a td or extends the drive in two score game.

Maybe Ryan was shell shocked from getting blowed up that first play. Cousins got blowed up worse and made plays. Ryan didnt. Make of that what you will.

Next vikes drive, Beasely has a clean shot from Cousins blind side, but for some ungodly reason, lets up and then dont wrap up, missing a drive killing sack.

From then on, yall know what happened. The offense finally started clicking somewhat. Folks are debating the 2 point tries which are irrelevant at that point.

All this being said, what is relevant is this. At this point in Quinns tenure here, this is unexcusable.

“They had a new scheme and coordinator.”

So did we. And the giants. The cowboys. And several other teams that didnt epically fail like we did.

The vikes beat us running for 150+ plus yards on the same play over and over. Not because they blocked us up or executed, but because we failed in basic outside zone defense, something we have been practising against since Quinn got here every practice.

The vikes beat us because in our first four drives, a boneheaded punt protection error and two boneheaded ints by a veteran mvp qb.

I dont know what to think about this. I been drinking the Quinn kool aid, until now.

I’m not giving up yet, but if the eagles game brings the same sorry performance, I think the season, and Quinns tenure, are over.

Please lemme know how yall see things. Agree?Disagree?

To me it's more fundamental than that. This franchise just does weird things compared to the year-to-year perennial playoff teams. That's what worries me most is the fact that Dan Quinn will ALWAYS be Dan Quinn. And Thomas Dimitrioff will ALWAYS be Thomas Dimitrioff. One is a really great articulate passionate loyal rah-rah defensive guy that has a throwback feel in terms of coaching. The other is a shrewd analytical dedicated Bill Belichek-sidekickesque type of guy who definitely tries hard to manage well not to say the least.

But that in itself is why I can't see us winning Super Bowls. The league has evolved awfully quickly but I can't see very many telltale signs that these two guys are evolving WITH it. Brand new stadium is wonderful but ALWAYS remember: Nothing was wrong with the old one. But if you are gonna move into fresh new digs IT BETTER COME ALONG WITH AN IDENTITY CHANGE AS WELL. Maybe that identity change is more fundamental now than ever. Not the NEED of it but the ACTUALITY of it.

Top 5 paid QB, Top 5 paid RB, Top 5 paid WR, Top 5 paid LT and it STILL doesn't matter because the handful of guy's who were closely associated with KS & tasked with learning his unique style of WC Offense were all allowed to walk out of the building WITHOUT retaining at least ONE guy who was under Shanny that could help keep the real INSIDE ZONE RUNNING SCHEME intact. That my friend is fundamental AND therefore systemic.

It's the coaching and yet at the same time it's even deeper than just the coaching. It's the culture. Looking like IT, acting like IT and ACTUALLY being IT is as distinctive as the the 3 phases of this glorious game we've ALL come to appreciate so much. When it comes to LOOKING like it this franchise always seems to pass with flying colors but when it comes down to actually BEING it? We have yet to consistently figure that part out. Still putting undeveloped product out on the field with this level of expertise? I really truly wonder WHY...

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

We brought in Knapp because of his familiarity with the Shanahan version of the WCO/outside zone scheme. I’d wager he has more knowledge of it than anyone we let go from Kyle’s staff. He coached here with Alex Gibbs, in Oakland with Tom Cable and in Houston under Kubiak and Rick Dennison. Not to mention his most recent pre-Falcons experience in Denver under Kubiak and Dennison again. 

Vandy likes this

5 hours ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

I dont know exactly what to blame for that absolute pathetic showing yesterday, but Dan Quinn as the head coach is soley and completely to blame. He is the head coach. Quinn is to blame for SB 51 debacle. Quinn is to blame for Sark and those wasted two years. Quinn is to blame for ket his defense being gashed in the running game, all of which were the same runs outside, no matter which rb was doing the gashing. Quinn is to blame for a offensive gameplan that played right into the vikes hands(Where were the screens and other pass rush beaters?)( Why was Matt early on standing in the pockebreingt trying to throw downfield until it was too late and they started throwing short passes to Hoop.

Here’sa breakdown of the stupid bonehead plays and how I saw them. Please lemme know if yall agree or not.

1.Very first play. 1st and 10. Matt drops back for a long developing play action pass and is killed from the blind side by a free rusher Matthews left untouched. Zimmer is known for blitzing. Their dline wet knew were all studs. And, doesn’t play action work better after you run the ball some?

How does Matthews, a veteran and pro bowler, not block a blitzer lined up right in front of him? It was sa boneheaded play call, a boneheaded play by Matthews who matter the protec23tion called should’ve blocked dude.

Either the falcons coaching staff is that incompetant, someone in the coaching box was proving a point, or someone in the coaching staff was sabotaging someone else.

2nd down we get 4 yards on an honest to god running play, like we did most every time we ran straight ahead and wasnt trying to toss sweep or double reverse. Run that play on 1st down and it’s 2 and 6 vs 2nd and f4cked.

Then comes the blocked punt, for the second time instead of blcoking the man in front of them, they let him free and bad happens.

On that play, TE #87 Graham was lined up beside the long snapper, at the snap he lunged left leaving his man a free run to block the punt. Zimmers staff had saw this on tape before and exploited it. Dont know who this is on, surely to God he wasnt coached to do this. High school teams dont screw up punt protection this bad.

th

Vikes 1st and 10, they bust the first of a long line of outside zone plays that gashed the falcons all night. It wasnt the vikes beating the falcons on these plays, the falcons were clueless defending these all night. No matter the rb, no matter what, the falcons didn’t contain, they werent gap sound, they bunched up way too close in pursuit to the edge.

This play got called back, but still, this is on Quinn. He has taken over the defense that has already been under his tutelage 5 seasons, and they epically failed defending the outside run….all night long.

Next play, 1 and 20, Cook caught a pass in the flat with Beasley defending. IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM SHOULD BEASLEY BE COVERING DALVIN COOK IN THE FLAT. At least he tackled him before he scored.

Then Oliver, who was one on one with Theilen all night, got abused and scored on. Theilen clearly pushed off, but this was the obvious bad match up in the passing game and would’ve been there all night. Why Quinn didn ‘t scheme some kinda man/zone to counter this bad matchup is beyond me. Even if Oliver wasnt young, his size and skill set does not match up well with Theilen. Oliver should’ve at least been physical at the LOS with Theilen.

Ensuing kick, Barner, who otherwise had a decent night returning, made a boneheaded play bringing the ball out of the end zone and getting tackled 10 yards shy of the 25. Boneheaded against the vikes, but not the worst.

Falcons 1st and 10 at their own 15. Ryan makes the first of two completely boneheaded INT’s that went on and killed the falcons completely. Ryan had no business throwing to Julio being he was bracketed. “He was trying to make a play” ********, it was 1st down, not 3rd. Again, instead of a normal straight ahead run that got us 4-5 yards a play all night, we did what we had no business doing throwing the ball there. Were we coaching for the vikes?

Vikes get the ball, and after another complete fail at defending the outside zone, blowing contain, not maintaining gap, etc….Cook scores. 14-0.

Next drive...instead of running the ball straight ahead, which was working, not dominating, but wo

rking, Koetter calls not one but two toss sweeps, which got blowed up, and a double reverse.

WOW.

On a second and 19, Julio put a slick double move on his defender, and even though the defender ran into and got run over by Julio(Which was clearly illegal contact btw and right infront of the ref)leaving him wide open for a TD, Ryan over threw him by 5 yards, missing a sure TD that would’ve made it a one score game.

ON 3rd and 19, Gage was open down the sideline for a 1st down and Ryan over threw him, almost getting Gage killed after he made an outstanding catch. For the second time in a row, Ryan missed a wide open throw that either scores a td or extends the drive in two score game.

Maybe Ryan was shell shocked from getting blowed up that first play. Cousins got blowed up worse and made plays. Ryan didnt. Make of that what you will.

Next vikes drive, Beasely has a clean shot from Cousins blind side, but for some ungodly reason, lets up and then dont wrap up, missing a drive killing sack.

From then on, yall know what happened. The offense finally started clicking somewhat. Folks are debating the 2 point tries which are irrelevant at that point.

All this being said, what is relevant is this. At this point in Quinns tenure here, this is unexcusable.

So did we. And the giants. The cowboys. And several other teams that didnt epically fail like we did.

The vikes beat us running for 150+ plus yards on the same play over and over. Not because they blocked us up or executed, but because we failed in basic outside zone defense, something we have been practising against since Quinn got here every practice.

The vikes beat us because in our first four drives, a boneheaded punt protection error and two boneheaded ints by a veteran mvp qb.

I dont know what to think about this. I been drinking the Quinn kool aid, until now.

I’m not giving up yet, but if the eagles game brings the same sorry performance, I think the season, and Quinns tenure, are over.

Agree.  Very poor showing by the team and another strike against the HC.  

Your points about running right at that defense were correct and what we should have been doing all game.  

Horrible showing on all accounts, but I think the manifestations you laid out in great detail showing the wheels falling off are largely due to an underlying cause of the coaches and players aren’t all on the same page yet. This is not to say there weren’t dumb mistakes etc as well. 

Many wholesale changes in offseason, many star players  getting back from IR, very few snaps of our starting first team on both sides of the ball in preseason. 

I expect this team to all be on the same page over the next few games, tighten way up, stop making so many costly mistakes, and become lethal by game 5.

Shannahan took an entire season, into the next season to get everyone on same page to the point we made NFL history with 7th in points. He was just as brilliant year one as he was year two, but it had to all come together.  

I believe the horrendous showing was a result of us not playing together enough after wholesale changes to offense, defense and STs in coaches and starters.  I also believe it will get corrected quickly.

i predicted it was going to take us 4 games to start playing at a really high level. 

PokerSteve and HASHBROWN3 like this

8 hours ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

Either the falcons coaching staff is that incompetant, someone in the coaching box was proving a point, or someone in the coaching staff was sabotaging someone else. (AGREED)

Then comes the blocked punt, for the second time instead of blcoking the man in front of them, they let him free and bad happens. (QUADRY OLLISON WAS DEACTIVATED)

th

Vikes 1st and 10, they bust the first of a long line of outside zone plays that gashed the falcons all night. It wasnt the vikes beating the falcons on these plays, the falcons were clueless defending these all night. No matter the rb, no matter what, the falcons didn’t contain, they werent gap sound, they bunched up way too close in pursuit to the edge. (5-2-4 doesnt work perhaps?)

WOW.

I too am tired of Coach Rah Rah.....we need an Old School Coach IMO.

My biggest worries is that MR is not properly reading the defenses and still throwing boneheaded picks.  I also think we needed an OC that could tailor the offense to what MR does best instead of the West Coast Offense.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

9 hours ago, Drvillain said:

im not sure if you're drunk or foreign, but this entire post had me laughing

I think DQ and Cooter had filldlin ghost on their game plan instead of planning for the vikes

55 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Everyone has a solution, but alas we are all just fans.

I find it funny when people want to say, "but your just a fan!"  Basically denying the fact that the solution rendered isn't THE solution.  Well I'll tell you what, the play that we saw on Sunday is definitely not THE solution.  The OP made valid points, and posts like yours that attempt to lessen the validity of what was stated, are severely lacking in critical thinking...

Flying Falcon likes this

52 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The Falcons got their a-holes handed to them by a very good, more prepared team in a hostile building. 

It's not complicated.    

0-1.  

Show some pride and fight like wild animals in the next game.  

100% true.  The issue is as one poster put it earlier, "is Quinn all hat and no cattle?"  (Great analogy by the way!) Anyhow, many of us have expressed our disdain with all of the rah, rah, slogans that he continually spouts. He needs to quit acting like a marketing executive, and get down to work.

All that being said, I do think it was a perfect storm, and the ship will get righted.  (Good team, 2 rookies on the OL, 1st game of the season on the road, etc.)

45 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I find it funny when people want to say, "but your just a fan!"  Basically denying the fact that the solution rendered isn't THE solution.  Well I'll tell you what, the play that we saw on Sunday is definitely not THE solution.  The OP made valid points, and posts like yours that attempt to lessen the validity of what was stated, are severely lacking in critical thinking...

cool go fix it bro.

Oh wait you can't get out of the stands? Cheer or don't cheer. All the paragraphs you write on here don't matter to what happens on the field.

12 hours ago, Fiddlin John's Ghost said:

Excellent post. Especially agree with the conclusions.

How we could've failed so hard at containing the edge is beyond me because it is so basic to our philosophy.

Like you, I've been a Quinn koolaid drinker, but this has me wondering. The team was soft, undisciplined and unprepared.

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

cool go fix it bro.

Oh wait you can't get out of the stands? Cheer or don't cheer. All the paragraphs you write on here don't matter to what happens on the field.

No one said they could "Bro!"  Where are you here then?  Fans have the right to state what they think is right or wrong with the team, the coaches, the owner, the GM, the players, etc.  Just because they are not, or have not ever been one of the aforementioned, doesn't automatically mean they're take is wrong.  Have a good day sir!

Flying Falcon likes this

4 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

100% true.  The issue is as one poster put it earlier, "is Quinn all hat and no cattle?"  (Great analogy by the way!) Anyhow, many of us have expressed our disdain with all of the rah, rah, slogans that he continually spouts. He needs to quit acting like a marketing executive, and get down to work.

All that being said, I do think it was a perfect storm, and the ship will get righted.  (Good team, 2 rookies on the OL, 1st game of the season on the road, etc.)

Count me in on that. 

There's so much I like about quinn the coach, but that's not one of them. 

We get tired of hearing it, can you imagine how the players feel?  LOL.

He's made a bunch of boneheaded decisions in his first 3 years that have cost us numerous games, including the SB. He hired a coach to help him make better in-game decisions and to allow him to focus on being the DC. 

This should have been his moment to prove that he has grown as an HC, that he has learned from his past mistakes. He had an entire offseason to get things worked out and get this team physically and mentally prepared for every scenario that could pop up in a game. 

Instead, the team looks lost, uninspired, they look weak and not buying into his system. We were completely out coached at every level. 

It's going to get real ugly on SNF, a game I'm spending big bucks to go see,  if we don't come out on fire. 

Just re-watched the blocked punt... Josh Harris and Jaedon Graham both blew their blocking assignments and forced Neasman to pick his poison between Kentrell Brothers and the blitzing Eric Wilson, who ended up making the block. I understand you don't play actual OL on punt team because you need speedy guys blocking and getting downfield to cover, but I sure as heck hope they re-think Jaedon Graham as the LG in punt formation. That was absolutely terrible. Harris hiked the ball and focused right, and Graham committed to a rusher who was outside LT (head scratcher) opening up a huge hole for Wilson to run down Broadway. Kotwica better be all over that crap this week. 

5 hours ago, Jesus said:

Everyone has a solution, but alas we are all just fans.

Yeah, I tried riding my bike even more aggressively and displaying more middle fingers to slow/stupid cagers on all my rides last week, yet the Falcons didn't play aggressive, middle-finger football Sunday. I'm now at a total loss as to what else I can do to help this team win.  :ninja:

Flying Falcon and Jesus like this

8 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Yeah, I tried riding my bike even more aggressively and displaying more middle fingers to slow/stupid cagers on all my rides last week, yet the Falcons didn't play aggressive, middle-finger football Sunday. I'm now at a total loss as to what else I can do to help this team win.  :ninja:

I moved in my seat and drank out of the right side of my glass with my left hand, while wearing my falcons hat backwards.

PokerSteve likes this