Falcons Fan MVP

What can we do to beat these "physical" teams?

79 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

The idea that the vikings were just physically dominate has been taken too far (per ususal)

They were physical but we out guys in the middle were physical too..when we set the edge correctly they did not do much....what killed the defense is guys not keepinf their assignments.

Namely Takk....he is not the only one but he stands out in my mind....there were multiple times where had he forced Cook to cut back..he would have ran into a wall of Falcon defenders but Cook was able to take an outside angle and accelerate for big yards.....one guy(sometimes) not doing his job mucked it up for the rest.

Your still beating that drum? 

Falcons only massed 75 yards running....25 of which came from Ryan running for his life.....while we gave up >170 running......

Just stop it bro......We got our ***** kicked.....

21 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Your still beating that drum? 

Falcons only massed 75 yards running....25 of which came from Ryan running for his life.....while we gave up >170 running......

Just stop it bro......We got our ***** kicked.....

Brother I am going to beat the drum like the people from Major league!

70 of their yards came on 3 carries......which were contain issues....not really physicality issues.

14 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

70 of their yards came on 3 carries......which were contain issues....not really physicality issues.

So those 3 plays don't count? LOL my man, keep beating that drum. 

BTW it wasn't just TAKK and Beasley, our LBers played poorly, and our two safeties Rico and Neal were slow to the ball-carrier as well.  

And what about our inability to run the ball? Matt was sacked how many times? Snap out of this denial funk you're in, our OL got pushed around bro. 

When it comes to play design offensively we’re pretty basic.  When most of our formations have no pre-snap movement and can be easily deciphered it makes opposing defenses readily able to sniff out what’s coming.  Being a creative playcaller doesn’t mean running a reverse or a flea flicker.  It’s about formations and keeping the defense off guard.

Defensively, it’s about manning up.  That’s what defense is always about.  Scheme can only go so far.  At some point you have to have the awareness and passion to enforce your will play after play.  We currently lack a lot of those guys except Grady, Kazee and Deion Jones.

Going against tough opponents always comes down to the culture that’s been embedded into the team.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

The idea that the vikings were just physically dominate has been taken too far (per ususal)

They were physical but we out guys in the middle were physical too..when we set the edge correctly they did not do much....what killed the defense is guys not keepinf their assignments.

Namely Takk....he is not the only one but he stands out in my mind....there were multiple times where had he forced Cook to cut back..he would have ran into a wall of Falcon defenders but Cook was able to take an outside angle and accelerate for big yards.....one guy(sometimes) not doing his job mucked it up for the rest.

Correct. Takk for some reason will abandon his assignment if it looks like he can make the play early. But a back like Cook can change direction on a dime. Takk did it pre season as well. He made some great plays doing it a few times but it was against a back that doesn’t have quick change of direction. Takk has to know his opponent and not overestimate him getting there. Clean that up and we’ll be ok. And it was all to his side of the field. Beasley set the edge well on his side. Takk has to play with more controlled aggression. Keep the play inside where it looks like we’re super stout. 

11 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Our turn overs and lack of takeways are a direct result of both our Lines getting man handled

Freemamns got.to handle the ball period. Bosher needa to be replaced i.m.o. He has An extra step, teams know it, and they come after him. Star players had an unusually bad day on offense. I think it will come together as they learn what not to do. 

5 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Out finessed n those

20 hours ago, ki46dinah said:

NE hasn’t tanked since the 90’s, yet continue to produce success...has nothing to do with tanking

That was a joke. I'm aware this isn't NBA. But as far as NE, they are never a good example of anything. They're the anamoly. They have Brady and Belichek. They've had success in every way imaginable.

I wasn't able to watch the game but you can't have all of the negative plays on first down and expect to win many games.  

8 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

Good teams do both.  The Steelers usually stay pat, but they traded up to get Devin Bush this year.

The Jimmy Johnson Cowboys are famous for accumulating draft picks, but they also moved up in the draft to get Russell Maryland and Emmitt Smith.

Doing both is fine, we only move up.  When’s the last time TD traded down in the first two rounds?

1 hour ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

That was a joke. I'm aware this isn't NBA. But as far as NE, they are never a good example of anything. They're the anamoly. They have Brady and Belichek. They've had success in every way imaginable.

That is a great point - there is no "Patriot System".  That is why their coordinators aren't very successful when they leave.  

Their system is essentially being super prepared and distribute the salary cap money around.  Other than that, it is Bill figuring out weaknesses to exploit from one week to the next.

23 hours ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Tank and rebuild with big physical players? 

Could a started working on that last year when the writing was already on the wall :lol:. Probably would have saved Quinn his job in the long run just losing ONE GAME slightly on purpose. **** we already gave a way the big one. Did we really need to pad Matt Ryan's who Julio Jones's stats THAT much?

I’m just confused why we are using the Saints as a vision of good.  They went 7-9 four out of five years from 12-16.  Quinn does it once in a season riddled with injuries and this fan base wants his head on a platter.  Saints have been good the last two years but never get there if they pull the plug on Payton after an average season or two.

falconsd56 likes this

22 minutes ago, rings639 said:

I’m just confused why we are using the Saints as a vision of good.  They went 7-9 four out of five years from 12-16.  Quinn does it once in a season riddled with injuries and this fan base wants his head on a platter.  Saints have been good the last two years but never get there if they pull the plug on Payton after an average season or two.

Before those three 7-9 seasons, Payton had already been in the playoffs 5 out of 7 years, reached the Divisional round 4 out of 7 years, played in 2 conference championship games and won a superbowl.  

The Saints have been consistently competitive the last 14 years and since Payton has been there, they are a team that has always been considered dangerous.  

The Falcons, on the the otherhand, are considered soft and "playing over their heads" when they accomplish anything.

(Payton didn't coach in 2012)

Edited by JeffAtl
PokerSteve likes this

We need balance and hurry up on offense to slow down the defensive lines we get destroyed by. On defense, it really just comes down to keeping contain. Our DTs can make plays so we just need the ends to do their **** job and contain the run.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:11 AM, Dirtier Bird said:

Maybe we just need a new catch phrase. We crush everyone in catch phrases! Or should we go all old school on the Eagles with 2 Legit 2 Quit? We could combine old with something new like Brotherhood From Flowery, or Throw 1 2 our Guys, Ice. No, those are awful. Sorry guys, I'm pretty bad at this. Hey, that one works too!

We've already got one that should be the Falcons standard-bearer, go-to slogan: EMBRACE THE SUCK!

:bang:

Dirtier Bird likes this

2 hours ago, rings639 said:

Don't forget the 2 mediocre years between 06 and 09.

When they went 7-9 and 8-8 in 07 and 08

They have nearly as many losing or just .500 seasons as they have had winning seasons.

Including some of the worst defenses in nfl history.........litterally they own the distinction of giving up the most yards in the entire 100 years of the nfl

rings639 likes this