Draftnut57

Well, I said before this last draft.

53 posts in this topic

It was one game tho.....But this the wrong statement to bring up after this game because it was THE VETS who got beat the most..

Jake Matthews is a probowl LT and he had one of the worst games I've seen him have.

The rookies wasn't the main issue

15 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Got a post somewhere back before the draft.. that said,,  I wish we would get our OL fixed with proven veterans ... And draft every thing else..  It's really hard to get an OL in the draft that can come in immediately and Get the job done.. It's just a saver way to make sure that is taken care of.. And with Ryan depending on the OL,, it is a big deal...  I was hoping we wouldn't do that.. But we did..  I'd love to have gotten Christian Wilkins with our pick , and we could have with both first round picks to have gone up three picks to  get him.. ,, that was the player I really wanted badly....  He's going to be a Grady type DT.  Could you imagine having two DT that can rush the QB.. Oh well, we'll hope for best this year and hope we can just get to the playoffs.;;;;;  I knew this first game would be the hardest one of the year.. and having to play them on he road. 

I get where you are coming from.  Veteran O line talent would be great....but good ones rarely come available anymore.   Best thing to do is grow your own.  Bad news there is TD has never drafted a quality O lineman until Jake in 2014.  Now the team is -finally- going after the good ones.  But they cost....

Yeah it would have been great to get Wilkins, sure.   But the best teams in the NFL don't even get a sniff at those blue chip guys.... yet they keep winning.  Our best defenders, right now, are Jarrett, Deion Jones and Neal.  Jarrett was a lowly 5th rnd pick.....Vikings DE's Hunter and Griffen were not high picks either.

If we get coachable players, and they have the desire to play, and our coaches are capable of coaching them up....we would draft so late every year, it would take a Julio type trade to get a Wilkins in here.   That's why I don't worry so much about getting those top guys anymore......

12 hours ago, vel said:

Lindstrom gave up no pressure before getting hurt. Our Pro Bowl LT was beat for a sack on the very first play and embarrassed routinely. So....what exactly...nevermind. I'll just leave. 

:mmmhmm::tiphat:

Flying Falcon likes this

12 hours ago, *TMo* said:

Yet it was the veteran free agent James Carpenter who played the worst.

I meant , get proven vets like Mack,, not unproven rookies.;;;;;;;. Like the Quote on Indiana Jones movie where they were trying to find the right Cup to drink from,,,  "He choose poorly"    :sadwave:  :lol:   ,, Well,, bottom line is,, as I say many times.. this will eventually work for our good,, Live and learn... 

"Wisdom teaches a hard lesson,, it gives the test first and teaches the lesson latter."

17 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Got a post somewhere back before the draft.. that said,,  I wish we would get our OL fixed with proven veterans ... And draft every thing else..  It's really hard to get an OL in the draft that can come in immediately and Get the job done.. It's just a saver way to make sure that is taken care of.. And with Ryan depending on the OL,, it is a big deal...  I was hoping we wouldn't do that.. But we did..  I'd love to have gotten Christian Wilkins with our pick , and we could have with both first round picks to have gone up three picks to  get him.. ,, that was the player I really wanted badly....  He's going to be a Grady type DT.  Could you imagine having two DT that can rush the QB.. Oh well, we'll hope for best this year and hope we can just get to the playoffs.;;;;;  I knew this first game would be the hardest one of the year.. and having to play them on he road. 

disagree.

So because Lindstrom had a freak broken foot in first game the draft strategy is wrong?  the cardiac ablation caused McGary to miss ZERO regular season games so the strategy was wrong?

WRONG!

The reason we needed to draft two offensive linemen high is because Falcons adopted your strategy of overpaying overrated vets on other teams (not named Alex Mack) for too many years.

Lindstrom will be fine once he comes back.   McGary will be fine.    McGary held up better than Jake Matthews in Vikings game.

You don't draft players and make proclamations after their debut rookie games.   Falcons needed to shore up the OL for the long term and they likely did so back in April.

This whole "pile on" after one loss is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

It was one game tho.....But this the wrong statement to bring up after this game because it was THE VETS who got beat the most..

Jake Matthews is a probowl LT and he had one of the worst games I've seen him have.

The rookies wasn't the main issue

agreed.  Dumb criticism by my friend Draftnut - and just wrong.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

agreed.  Dumb criticism by my friend Draftnut - and just wrong.

Well, call it what you want.. just because I think different that you and others.. See our Center..  We had no questions about him because he had performed in the NFL . And also,, it's a good idea to give Rookie OL time to adjust ... But we had no choice because we were all in with this course of action. 

Falcons m.o. is to spend $3 - $5 million on 2-3 marginal free agents rather than spending $8 - $12 million on a stud free agent. Aside from Jarrett players on DL is mediocre at best.  We would be better of having another stud DL and getting cheaper rotational guys in the draft.  

16 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Well, call it what you want.. just because I think different that you and others.. See our Center..  We had no questions about him because he had performed in the NFL . And also,, it's a good idea to give Rookie OL time to adjust ... But we had no choice because we were all in with this course of action. 

Draftnut, you cannot put off dealing w/ OL forever - and that is exactly what Dimitroff had done - FOREVER.

Before 2019,  Falcons had drafted OL as follows:

1st - Jake Matthews, Sam Baker

2nd - Peter Konz

3rd - Mike Johnson, Lamar Holmes

4th - Joe Hawley, Sean Harlow

5th - Garrett Reynolds

6th - Wes Schweitzer

7th - Jake Rogers, Andrew Jackson

So in 11yrs of drafting,   Dimitroff had drafted 11 OL and only THREE times did he take an offensive lineman in the top 90 picks of the draft - THREE TIMES!!!!!

You want to know why the Falcons are SOFT - look no further than that stat right there.

Lindstrom and McGary are both talented and can play nasty - we will be fine - you draft a player hoping for a 10yr return - not a on game return - not a rookie season return.

Enough w/ the knee-jerk reactions

MSalmon, Draftnut57, Geneaut and 1 other like this

To me the rookies didnt have a bad game..... They will def imnprove but they didnt have a bad game... It was ok vs  one of the BEST lines in the league so i can live with that .

On Kaleb McGary sack.... Hoop Completely miss his chip giving away the outside to hunter and Mcgary had no chance..

I feel like our rookies are talented enough to play thru the fire and make it out the other side...

My biggest problem is Coach wouldnt settle on one line and let them gel together.... I hate with a passion when he does all this switching crap... Its no way the line can gel doing all that..... Then we have less contract in the offseason...

sanfranfalcon and g-dawg like this

16 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

No that would have been Matthews or McGary

Matthews for sure. Even if McGary played worse (he didn’t), he isn’t a Pro Bowl vet. 

Cole World likes this

On 9/9/2019 at 5:31 PM, Draftnut57 said:

Wilkins got drafted before our pick, so there is no way we could have drafted him. Just a FYI

What the ****?

The guys who actually played good on the O-line included the rooks....the veteran left tackle played like ****.

And then you start a thread complaining about the rooks on the O-line? Just......what?

tenor.gif

falcons007 and JDaveG like this

Matt Gono made the Gary pick expendable. And a Chris Lindstrom pick makes sense when you still gotta guy like Chris Chester around. Not years later. It's just like Will Svitek outplaying Sam Baker in 2012-2013 but Baker STILL GETTING THE GOOD OL BOY NOD and coming back to start when Svitek was playing lights out at LT. Anybody else remember that? How does the entire coaching & management staff NOT see that you actually LUCKED up and drafted another late round stud so now you don't have to spend so much money for talent on the front-end and can find Franchise caliber players galore on the back-end? KAZEE LEAD THE NFL IN PICKS! KEEP STARTING HIM AT FS! Bonehead moves man. Just the same old dumb corporate moves! Like drafting Marcus Green over Michael Dogbe smh. Or RIDLEY OVER HERNANDEZ. It's not gonna make sense to the avg Falcon fan but it does to REAL football people. The FRANCHISE IS BUILT AWKWARDLY. Offense eats up too much cap and attention because the RIGHT COORDINATORS are not retained in order to GET A SUCCESSFUL SCHEME SET UP CONSISTENTLY ENOUGH TO MAKE THE SUM OF ITS PARTS LESS EXPENSIVE AUTOMATICALLY INJECTING A LOT MORE TALENT AND A FRACTION OF THE COST. ONLY PAYING TOP DOLLAR FOR ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL POSITIONS & ROLES. Albeit the letting go of Matt Bryant and then suddenly scrambling to bring him back set a very subtle yet familiar tone for this season. I fear this offseason reeked off failure wayyy more than we realize due to chronically choosing players out of need moreso than scheme.

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

Their biggest issue, before Lindstom's injury, is continuity. The whole "open competition" thing sounds good but you end up using a lot of camp rotating guys in and not building consistency. Injuries and McGary missing a few weeks didn't help either.

They invested a lot on the OL and needed to for depth. Remember when we had to play two back up guards last year? That did not go well. Presumably, Brown/Carpenter can be better. They have already 3 players go down on the OL, hopefully Ty or Gono can make it back this week.

Assuming everyone can stay on the field they will get better if this is our starting five for the next 8 weeks. It will be the first time we've had an established starting OL and they should improve with time. 

This first game may get a little bumpy though. 

JeffAtl likes this

I understand everybody's view... and I'm not saying I am right,, just what I think,, may have been better,, may not have been better..  I'd love to gone out and gotten a player like we did when we got Mack.. then draft a OL in the 2nd round,, and there were more than one starting calibur OGs.. we could have taken those two picks and traded up for Wilkins.. If I'm right or wrong.. that's what I'd have done.. and got two proven vet OL,... Now let me finish by saying,, I think the two OL we got in the first rd  in time will be great///  So don't think I didn't like those two picks for who and what they are..  But a team can get an OL in round two or in FAcy,, But a DT like Wilkins  don't ever hit the market..  You just can't go out and find a DT like that in Facy. And No,, he's not  a great player as a rookie right now.. But he will be off the chart in a few.

16 hours ago, Jpowers said:

What the ****?

The guys who actually played good on the O-line included the rooks....the veteran left tackle played like ****.

And then you start a thread complaining about the rooks on the O-line? Just......what?

tenor.gif

Borderline trolling. 

On 9/9/2019 at 5:31 PM, Draftnut57 said:

We didnt have 2 first rd picks to start the draft... also both of the picks seem to have a bright future... and in the long run it will pay off. We have alot of promising defense players but nothing on the oline.... so I'm happy we have 2 future studs... 

On 9/9/2019 at 9:31 PM, Francis York Morgan said:

You also said this is the best Falcons team you've ever seen lmao. You can't just spew a billion things and pick and choose which to use to claim you knew all along.

But watch us win the next 3 games and you'll be referencing that thread instead

I know guys who tweet both teams winning and delete the other one later. Just bump the winning tweet.

Just now, AllStarHandyMan said:

We didnt have 2 first rd picks to start the draft... also both of the picks seem to have a bright future... and in the long run it will pay off. We have alot of promising defense players but nothing on the oline.... so I'm happy we have 2 future studs... 

You are right... look at the bright side... And I do... And I actually believe these two Rookies will be really good in time.. Kind of hated to see us throw them in so quick, wish we would have had enough backups to let them slowly grow into the NFL.  It's hard enough to have one Rookie OL, much less two. So I understand what  TD and Quinn did there.  But wish we would have figured out a way to get Wilkins also. And picked up a Vereran OL and have drafted only one rook OL. 

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Be ready for bump number 1987654215

I usually wouldn’t say this but I hope that **** gets locked as soon as it happens. People can make all the false claims they want about me but I can’t even hold a candle to some of these folks. 

falcons007 likes this

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

You are right... look at the bright side... And I do... And I actually believe these two Rookies will be really good in time.. Kind of hated to see us throw them in so quick, wish we would have had enough backups to let them slowly grow into the NFL.  It's hard enough to have one Rookie OL, much less two. So I understand what  TD and Quinn did there.  But wish we would have figured out a way to get Wilkins also. And picked up a Vereran OL and have drafted only one rook OL. 

I see what your saying and that's definitely best case... I like the first pick... when we moved up i was hoping for a CB. But we got who we got and after watching a little makes me excited!! Plus the next draft is going to help.