102 posts in this topic

I'm going to treat this year like I did 2016. I was and still am a Season ticket holder. The previous year 2015 was crap and I really didn't think 2016 would be better. But my wife and I decided that we were going to go to every game (last one in the Dome) and win or lose, enjoy what we could out of every game but not be pissed off regardless.

It was amazing to me after losing to Tampa in game one, how those around us acted like someone had stolen their favorite toy. Same ol' Falcons! Put in Matt Shaub! Fire Quinn! Fire TD! Time to rebuild!!!  etc etc....

We won games and we lost games that year and some of them were not pretty.We lost to Philly in a game that made the Falcons look like pretenders. But it turned out to be a great season regardless of how the SB turned out. I dont know if we will have a good season or not, but life is too short to be stressed out all day on Gameday because a team I root for had a bad game or is having a bad season.

gritsnsausage likes this

17 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Still like Dan Quinn, but that was an absolute ****show. We flat out need to make a statement against the Eagles. All the words can only go so far. This is your defense now. Can't be losing contain. Think the offense was arguably the bigger problem though, really shafted the defense with those tiny fields and repetitive turnovers.

I still like Quinn as well, but that game took some of us old-timers back to Rankin Smith's dreadfully pathetic Falcon teams. And the defense under Q's leadership was just not very good, although as you said the offense dam sure didn't do them any favors.

Further performances of this level of fail could definitely jeopardize Quinn's job. I hope he's able to pull this thing together and get this team looking like a contender instead of a bottom-feeder. I'm too old to wait on another rebuild to bear fruit.

19 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

To be fair they did have a new OC and ran a new offense.  But Quinn got out schemed and out coached plain and simple...

I don’t think he got out schemed it out coached. I think the mistakes out them in a hole that was just too deep to overcome against that type of defense on the road. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

I don’t think he got out schemed it out coached. I think the mistakes out them in a hole that was just too deep to overcome against that type of defense on the road. 

So I agree with that for the offense.

It's on the defense specifically I was referring to.

The weakness of the Vikings oline was the interior.  So either the Falcons didn't anticipate the Vikings trying to protect it the way they did.  Or they did but then did a poor job of relaying to the players how crucial it was to set the edge.

I get player execution but ultimately any failures there fall on the HC.  More-so if he's also the DC.

It may be a bit much to put on yourself the HC and the DC. Maybe he can bring a good DC in. He can still impose his will, he should have learned that from the SB. Duel roles may have been the reason he did see how the Vikings attacked our ends and why he was late to adjusting. Hopefully the FO learned a valuable lesson. You see how many stars were injured in the first week? In a grueling 16 game schedule it will come down to coaching, depth, luck with injuries and how willing the team is. We can win this thing.

7 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

It may be a bit much to put on yourself the HC and the DC. Maybe he can bring a good DC in. He can still impose his will, he should have learned that from the SB. Duel roles may have been the reason he did see how the Vikings attacked our ends and why he was late to adjusting. Hopefully the FO learned a valuable lesson. You see how many stars were injured in the first week? In a grueling 16 game schedule it will come down to coaching, depth, luck with injuries and how willing the team is. We can win this thing.

Most successful coaches have dual roles - even if there is a OC or DC in name only.  

Quinn certainly isn't an exceptional HC, so if he can't contribute on the defensive side of the ball, why is he here?  (He does seem to be a good talent scout)

Flying Falcon likes this

19 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

To be fair they did have a new OC and ran a new offense.  But Quinn got out schemed and out coached plain and simple...

We did get out coached, but the thing that bothers me is it’s the same stinking zone stretch plays that we ****** run and have for years!

how many times have we tried to defend this in practice!

Flying Falcon likes this

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

Just more lip service like the rest of his tenure here so far. 

Agreed.  Would have rather heard a "We're on to Cincinnati, We're on to Cincinnati" type response.  

Especially since the bad play was due to poor preparation (even Beasley's lost sack) and the direct fault of the coaching staff.  It's like there were loafing players out there - just confused players that didn't know their assignments or keys.

PokerSteve, vel and Malachore like this

Problem is, you have to set your team up to play NFL football.  They looked like a ping pong player trying to compete with a Tennis Pro on a tennis court.  That's what the Falcons looked like

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

Falcons fans: I'm tired of the phrases and lip service, just come out and say you're p*ssed!

Also Falcons fans: Don't tell me you're p*ssed, it's just talk!

What the **** is he supposed to do, throw a tantrum?

Not throw his unprepared players under the bus.  

I don't think anyone really cares about whether he is truly angry or not during the press conference.  The time for that is during the game and during team preparation.

vel, PokerSteve and Vandy like this

5 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Not throw his unprepared players under the bus.  

I don't think anyone really cares about whether he is truly angry or not during the press conference.  The time for that is during the game and during team preparation.

Lol that's what they want. To rip the team a new one in public to the media. Like that works. We've seen several coaches do that and they always lose the locker room and get fired. Fans want entertainment. That means drama. 

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I still like Quinn as well, but that game took some of us old-timers back to Rankin Smith's dreadfully pathetic Falcon teams. And the defense under Q's leadership was just not very good, although as you said the offense dam sure didn't do them any favors.

Further performances of this level of fail could definitely jeopardize Quinn's job. I hope he's able to pull this thing together and get this team looking like a contender instead of a bottom-feeder. I'm too old to wait on another rebuild to bear fruit.

Like you, I'm too old to relive this Rankin Smith crap...   I like Quinn, but the team as a whole seemed largely ill-prepared and out-manned at nearly every turn.   We had some beautiful individual performances, notably Grady and Sanu looked good.   I was disappointed in #11, he seems lethargic.   And Freeman; great guy but Ito is doing a helluva lot better...    And the offense play calling was boring and predictable.

PokerSteve likes this

20 hours ago, sdogg said:

Yawn! You had all off season, training camp, mini-camps and 5 PS games and that's the best you could do? Guess I can scratch the 5 PS games, since the starters  hardly get any playing time together. 

You're talking about a guy that thinks the saints game is just another game.

sdogg and PokerSteve like this

We did not look like a team at all. We looked like 11 guys got into a huddle and said ok lets snap the ball and everybody do what you can. 11 individuals running around on both sides of the ball.

I agree, there is no reason they should have looked like they didn't know where to be on the field or any idea what the Vikings were going to do. That's coaching, simple.

I have heard it said and I want to know, why Beasley? Does he have some pictures or something?

Just so frustrating, year after year of the same thing.

PokerSteve likes this

21 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In other news the sky is blue

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Falcons fans: I'm tired of the phrases and lip service, just come out and say you're p*ssed!

Also Falcons fans: Don't tell me you're p*ssed, it's just talk!

What the **** is he supposed to do, throw a tantrum?

Now I have to admit, I would find a DQ meltdown quite entertaining.......:)

PokerSteve likes this

21 hours ago, roguebeaver said:

Okay...at himself I hope! He did not have this team ready to play and it showed! Hold yourself accountable Dan. 

IDK...looked like the team didn't execute very well.  The team has elite players on offense and some key players on defense, they did not perform to their level or they are not as good as we think. 

roguebeaver likes this

Side note: Was there any explanation as to why Schaub was warming up? I didnt watch this nonsense but I havent heard about it.