slickgadawg

Early coaching candidates to replace Quinn..

263 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Mike McCarthy. I think Quinn should get 2 more years though.

Don't want McCarthy, and I don't think Quinn will/should get 2 more years.  The talent is there now.  Get it done this year.  When I say that, I mean, if he doesn't make the playoffs, he needs to be relieved of his duties.  Nice run, great guy, but good bye...

14 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

I think Quinn needs a raise and extension if they are keeping Dimitroff. TD is the root of the problem and until that is corrected whoever is coach is irrelevant. 

Yeah, TD was the guy who didn't run the ball and kick a FG in the Super Bowl...

Godzilla1985 and Vandy like this

2 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Yeah, TD was the guy who didn't run the ball and kick a FG in the Super Bowl...

Blame that on Shanny. 

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

On their home turf, on a sorry *** playing field. And Eagles shut a lot of teams down, it’s why they won the SB in 2017.

Last year we were 6th in league total offense and 28th in defense.  Yet you keep talking like offense is the problem? 

Stats don't always tell the whole story.  Having a 28th ranked defense can mean your offensive stats are skewed, e.g. always behind, therefore throwing more, allow teams to score quickly, therefore your offense gets more plays, etc.

JeffAtl likes this

24 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Stats don't always tell the whole story.  Having a 28th ranked defense can mean your offensive stats are skewed, e.g. always behind, therefore throwing more, allow teams to score quickly, therefore your offense gets more plays, etc.

Not the whole story, but it definitely puts burden of proof to claim otherwise. 

You’d be hard-pressed to prove we weren’t a top 10 offense, nor a bottom 10 defense, last season. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Not the whole story, but it definitely puts burden of proof to claim otherwise. 

You’d be hard-pressed to prove we weren’t a top 10 offense, or a bottom 10 defense. 

Agreed.  Just playing devil's advocate...

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Agreed.  Just playing devil's advocate...

I know.....and with a stats guy at that!

But I do agree, stats don’t tell all the story.  I see peeps manipulate stats in here all the time. 

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

12 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Anti trust?  Anti trust? They already violating civil rights laws and employment law. There are several states right now trying to pass legislation right now to force their colleges to pay athletes. Several senators are on record saying college sports are engaging in civil rights violations.  You are talking about how thieves split the spoils...:lol:

I'm saying paying these guys now just creates more problems later.

Should they be paid?  Probably but once you open that Pandora's box things are going to get much more complicated.

25 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

That only works if you already have a good coach.  The real secret is to keep changing coaches until you find one and then sticking with him longterm.  Sean Payton is a textbook example of the Saints doing this right.

The Cowboys are trying to do it the Steelers way, but they probably missed the first criteria of finding a good coach.

Also, the 49ers fell off because their HOF QBs retired, not because they started changing coaches.  

You have to let them coach long enough to see if they’re good. Quinn is a good coach. Anybody that thinks he’s not has never seen one. Good coaches don’t always have a winning record in their fidst year. Sometimes it takes 3 years to have a winning season. The point is quinn needs to be here for even if this season doesn’t go as planned. A SB appearance and a repeat playoff the next season ain’t an accident. And everybody knows we would’ve been back had we not had all the injuries. And I’ll say it again. Matt has had FOUR OC’s since he’s been here. 2 HC’s. That is NOT a formula for sustained success. One more time josh McDaniels has been with Bill and Tom since the first SB. That is coaching consistency. **** Labeau was with Pitt forever and the defense hasn’t been the same since he left. Tomlin keeps them ready as a team tho. If you change HC’s every 3/4 years you will never have something good. It wasn’t an accident they went to the SB. Especially when smith couldn’t get them there. 

41 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

That only works if you already have a good coach.  The real secret is to keep changing coaches until you find a good one and then sticking with him long-term.  Sean Payton is a textbook example of the Saints doing this right.

The Cowboys are trying to do it the Steelers way, but they probably missed the first criteria of finding a good coach.

Also, the 49ers fell off because their HOF QBs retired, not because they started changing coaches.  

The Saints went 7-9 three straight years with Payton. Good coaches can hit a rut. Not everybody is Belichick. 

JDaveG, kiwifalcon, Vandy and 3 others like this

Just now, vel said:

The Saints went 7-9 three straight years with Payton. Good coaches can hit a rut. Not everybody is Belichick. 

Exactly.  That's why I called out Sean Payton as a texbook example of an organization doing it right. 

Jim Haslett was the best coach in Saints history up to that point, but they knew he wasn't good enough long-term so they replaced him with Sean Payton.  Then when Payton struggled himself, the Saints stuck with him.

Is Quinn more of a Jim Haslett or more like a Sean Payton?  I'm leaning toward Haslett, but I guess we'll see.

vel likes this

53 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I'm saying paying these guys now just creates more problems later.

Should they be paid?  Probably but once you open that Pandora's box things are going to get much more complicated.

What problems?  The colleges can just contract out the athletes like they do EVERYTHING else.  the College Football Playoff, contract, NCAA Tournament, contract. The Conferences, contracts.   Its already the rich vs the poor.  Georgia State just got paid $950,000 by Tennessee to go out there and beat them...:lol:

45 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Exactly.  That's why I called out Sean Payton as a texbook example of an organization doing it right. 

Jim Haslett was the best coach in Saints history up to that point, but they knew he wasn't good enough long-term so they replaced him with Sean Payton.  Then when Payton struggled himself, the Saints stuck with him.

Is Quinn more of a Jim Haslett or more like a Sean Payton?  I'm leaning toward Haslett, but I guess we'll see.

More like Payton.

Yall keep pointing to “He blew a 25 point lead in the SB HE SUCKS AS A COACH!” 

Did he and the team make some mistakes in that game YES he did. Lot of things about Quinn and people gloss over:

1. It was Quinn who recognized Kyle Shannahan and made sure that was his guy. No one wanted him here. Everyone berated the move.  

2. The Quinn led defense man handled Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady in the 2016 post season.  

3. The next year he got this team back to the playoffs while again defensively dominating another high powered offense on the road and came a whisker from going back to the NFCCG despite lack luster coaching from his OC.

Smith was more Hasslett if we are making these comparisons. 

People need to quit whining about 51 and calling for the head of Dan Quinn.  He knows what he’s doing. Have some patience for crying out loud.

Edited by Godzilla1985
JDaveG likes this

52 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

You have to let them coach long enough to see if they’re good. Quinn is a good coach. Anybody that thinks he’s not has never seen one. Good coaches don’t always have a winning record in their fidst year. Sometimes it takes 3 years to have a winning season. The point is quinn needs to be here for even if this season doesn’t go as planned. A SB appearance and a repeat playoff the next season ain’t an accident. And everybody knows we would’ve been back had we not had all the injuries. And I’ll say it again. Matt has had FOUR OC’s since he’s been here. 2 HC’s. That is NOT a formula for sustained success. One more time josh McDaniels has been with Bill and Tom since the first SB. That is coaching consistency. **** Labeau was with Pitt forever and the defense hasn’t been the same since he left. Tomlin keeps them ready as a team tho. If you change HC’s every 3/4 years you will never have something good. It wasn’t an accident they went to the SB. Especially when smith couldn’t get them there. 

Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first year in dallas. Steeler fans were screaming to fire Bill Cowher after steeler 6-10 season in 2003.  

45 minutes ago, vel said:

All true. Plus most everyone knows Belichick's tenure in Cleveland.

Pete Carroll was fired twice before he settled in at Seattle (Jets and Pats). Parcells nearly was fired by Giants the year before their SB.  

JDaveG, TheFatboi and vel like this

6 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

People need to quit whining about 51 and calling for the head of Dan Quinn.  He knows what he’s doing. Have some patience for crying out loud.

Good points.  A counter-argument is whether Quinn has ever been (or will ever be) successful without Shannihan.  

Was 2016 catching lightning in a bottle or is the norm for Quinn?

I'm leaning heavily toward 2016 being an aberration, but I'm all for seeing how 2019 plays out.

Just now, JeffAtl said:

Good points.  A counter-argument is whether Quinn has ever been (or will ever be) successful without Shannihan.  

Was 2016 catching lightning in a bottle or is the norm for Quinn?

I'm leaning heavily toward 2016 being an aberration, but I'm all for seeing how 2019 plays out.

2017 should tell you 2016 was not an aberration. If anything he made an error In hiring Sark to run the offense.  

JDaveG likes this

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

What problems?  The colleges can just contract out the athletes like they do EVERYTHING else.  the College Football Playoff, contract, NCAA Tournament, contract. The Conferences, contracts.   Its already the rich vs the poor.  Georgia State just got paid $950,000 by Tennessee to go out there and beat them...:lol:

You pay all college athletes but how much do you pay them?  Do you pay them all the same thing or do you pay superstars more?  Do athletes now hold out for more money?

Recruiting as we know it no longer exists.  It's who will pay more and schools with deep pockets become much bigger players. Notre Dame for example has a billion dollar football endowment fund, right now.

Are female athletes paid as much as male athletes?

Are they students or employees?

50 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first year in dallas. Steeler fans were screaming to fire Bill Cowher after steeler 6-10 season in 2003.  

Pete Carroll was fired twice before he settled in at Seattle (Jets and Pats). Parcells nearly was fired by Giants the year before their SB.  

When the mob is out things can get crazy lol. Gladiator sports have always attracted the mob. Our fans are acting like the mob right now.

“ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!!” 

Maximus

JDaveG and Vandy like this

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You pay all college athletes but how much do you pay them?  Do you pay them all the same thing or do you pay superstars more?  Do athletes now hold out for more money?

Recruiting as we know it no longer exists.  It's who will pay more and schools with deep pockets become much bigger players. Notre Dame for example has a billion dollar football endowment fund, right now.

Are female athletes paid as much as male athletes?

Are they students or employees?

How much does a teacher or administrator get paid at Georgia?  At Hawaii?  At Tennessee?  Do you pay them above the regulated scale or not?  Its ALREADY warped toward the rich... You spitting in the wind with the very excuses the schools uses to rob these athletes...

59 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yep. But let's fire the guy that got us to a SB and a deep playoff run because he had one injury riddled season and lost week one. It's stupid. 

Vandy and Godzilla1985 like this

52 minutes ago, Vandy said:

No thanks. We've been there, done that. 

Jerry%20Glanville%20Falcons%2013.jpg

But Rex could help Ryan with his footwork.

I said, REX COULD HELP RYAN WITH HIS FOOTWORK.

giphy.gif