The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Week 1

RichardCNile

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Week 1 - Yeah I'm superstitious!  

I saw an NFL films show about superstitions. They interviewed a ton of players, coaches and fans about the things they do from not cutting hair, to routines, to certain shirts or hats and so on.  My favorite part of the show was the last scene where the asked former Buffalo Bills HC Marv Levy if had any game day superstitions and he replied quickly "Heck ya I'm superstitious. In fact I tell my team every week, if you don't block and tackle well today, you'll lose."   

Sometimes it's just that simple.  

I said headed into the game, if our O-Line plays well, we can beat the Vikings.  2 FA signings, 2 First round draft picks and re-signing of some existing players like Ty Sambrillo and what do we get on the first play?  Our pro-bowl LT Mathews looking like a deer in the headlights as the Viking player blows past him on a free run to sack MR2.  Maybe DQ should have also fired the O-Line coach last offseason?  Regardless, we are "all in" on our O-Line.  We just learned that Chris Lindstrom, one of our First Round picks is now on IR with a broken foot.  Welcome to the NFL Chris, see you after the bye week. For the rest of us, it's slim pickin's in the good area, but we got a feast in the bad and ugly today.  

The Good:

Hooper - Hoop did catch well, albeit garbage yards. I was surprised they didn't go to him earlier in the game.  (possible reason why below... see MR2)

Pressure - We did actually get some pressure on the QB and that was good to see.  Sadly we needed a lot more, but at least Cousins wasn't standing back there all day to throw.  

The Bad:

Deer + Headlights:  The Falcons looked more like deer in the headlights.  They looked surprised and a bit shocked that this purple team was running so fast and hitting so hard.  Watching the game and the expressions, i thought maybe the Falcon's looked surprised or something, kinda like "hey aren't we supposed to have a warm up quarter or two before we start going full speed?"   

O-Line - Not once, but several times our O-Line, specifically Matthews completely missed on blocks.  Other times I saw our TE get pancaked into the backfield.  

Oliver - We knew he would take some lumps, but I didn't expect that he would take all the lumps.  Dude just looked bad and outclassed.  

The Ugly:

Coaching - yeah coaching.  Maybe we don't have the most talented team in the NFL, but we are far from the least talented team in the NFL.  This team looked softer than a plush toy you give a 2 year old to play with.  We can blame the players, but when almost the entire team has the same lackadaisical attitude, I have to point the finger at the the HC and say he and his staff didn't have them ready for battle.  They can have press conferences and tell us now they were prepared and tell us they knew they would see this stunt or that play, but when they show otherwise, clearly they are not prepared.  

Special Teams - Are you kidding me?  First punt of the season and we can't block ppl coming up the middle?  You could grab 100 high school football players who have been on a punt team and they will all quote the same rule "Block inside out."  How is it NFL players cannot execute this?  Then, we almost had the second punt blocked.  It was at this point in the game that I realized I needed to start drinking doubles.  

Defense - Not all, but many on our D looked like they were surprised the other team was hitting them.  Vikings had over 100 yards rushing by half time.  I guess it can get uglier, but I honestly don't know how.  

MR2 - Matt was off.  Yeah I know he got sacked a lot and didn't have time, but there were also bad throws and open people he missed.  I can only assume this may be the new OC slump we have become familiar with.  

OC - I was not impressed.  Sweeps, Reverses, long developing plays?  C'mon man.  We knew who they were and the only way to beat that is to line up and run right at them, over and over and over.  

It's not the end of the world, just a horrible week 1.  We knew the first 3 games were a brutal test and we failed the first test.  We gotta block, we gotta tackle and we gotta not show up looking like a deer in the headlights.  

Great post. We are all venting today.

THE GOOD

Ito Smith is the real deal. Hits the hole like a rocket and is a slippery thing to tackle. Really surprised we did not slip him out into the passing game more on wheel routes.

Deion Jones making tackles all over and running people down.

Grady with the quick penetration, deadly 1st step.

Keanu reminding the WRs that he is the Sheriff back there. Love that guy, he is a warlord.

Gage gives EVERYTHING on every play. really impressive dude.

Sanu does everything well. Need to feed him the ball.

Hooper is the man. He is a difference maker and rolls the chains, enough of this 5 yard cutout, get him up the seam!!! Feature him like the Pats did with Gronk.

MVPS: Smith, Jones, Neal, Grady, Tak, Hooper

THE BAD

Freeman has to walk the talk. They all do but Free has something to prove. Too many hungry guys in line to be jitterbugging for 2-3 yards per carry.

MR2 making really bad throws. Both INTs were very bad and the ball he threw 4' over Gage's head (out of bounds) got him hurt. He picked up his play in the 2nd half but it was too little too late. He had Hooper wide open when the threw the pick to Stocker....waited too long.

JJ11 What the heck man? What was with the effort? Lazy routes, dropped passes.....looked OLD and RUSTY out there...just a bad look. Needed to get him off the field and throw to somebody that is hungry.

Pass Rush - this is what we've been told is the most improved part of the defense? Really? WTF?

LVPS: MR2, Matthews, Vic, Oliver, Freeman

THE UGLY

The entire Oline - embarrassing. just got whipped, looked AWFUL. This is a mess and it just got worse. what have they been doing?

The entire RUN DEFENSE - Can ANYBODY cover a RB? Looked like a whole team of Duke Rileys taking bad angles, getting caught in the wash, whiffing on tackles, stopping play..have we regressed?

The Special Teams - like you said, BLOCK THEM! This was oogly to watch.

The Coaching - Going for 2???? WHY??? Where is the screen game? Where are the shots upfield?

depressed and angry

1 hour ago, RichardCNile said:

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Week 1 - Yeah I'm superstitious!  

I saw an NFL films show about superstitions. They interviewed a ton of players, coaches and fans about the things they do from not cutting hair, to routines, to certain shirts or hats and so on.  My favorite part of the show was the last scene where the asked former Buffalo Bills HC Marv Levy if had any game day superstitions and he replied quickly "Heck ya I'm superstitious. In fact I tell my team every week, if you don't block and tackle well today, you'll lose."  

I'm not superstitious. I'm just a little stitious.

Doug, I think you nailed it.  

The new guy fetching punts did a pretty good job.   Grady was and is a beast.    Jones looked really good; glad to have him back.

I haven't seen much criticism of Freeman; he's not getting it done.   MR2 looks ok, but seems to make ghastly bad decisions from time to time.

O play calling; GHASTLY!   WTF?   Really?   My daughter literally calls plays for the O in her H/S, and she does one helluva lot better than what we saw on Sunday; unbelievably predictable and uninspired.   Sometimes, when it's an obvious run situation, you need to call a play-action pass.   Sometimes, when it's 3rd and fairly long, we need the deep drop draw play with the meat up front paving the way for a stud RB.   Nope.   Doesn't happen. 

20 hours ago, Doug Carlton said:

Great post. We are all venting today.

THE GOOD

Ito Smith is the real deal. Hits the hole like a rocket and is a slippery thing to tackle. Really surprised we did not slip him out into the passing game more on wheel routes.

Deion Jones making tackles all over and running people down.

Grady with the quick penetration, deadly 1st step.

Keanu reminding the WRs that he is the Sheriff back there. Love that guy, he is a warlord.

Gage gives EVERYTHING on every play. really impressive dude.

Sanu does everything well. Need to feed him the ball.

Hooper is the man. He is a difference maker and rolls the chains, enough of this 5 yard cutout, get him up the seam!!! Feature him like the Pats did with Gronk.

MVPS: Smith, Jones, Neal, Grady, Tak, Hooper

THE BAD

Freeman has to walk the talk. They all do but Free has something to prove. Too many hungry guys in line to be jitterbugging for 2-3 yards per carry.

MR2 making really bad throws. Both INTs were very bad and the ball he threw 4' over Gage's head (out of bounds) got him hurt. He picked up his play in the 2nd half but it was too little too late. He had Hooper wide open when the threw the pick to Stocker....waited too long.

JJ11 What the heck man? What was with the effort? Lazy routes, dropped passes.....looked OLD and RUSTY out there...just a bad look. Needed to get him off the field and throw to somebody that is hungry.

Pass Rush - this is what we've been told is the most improved part of the defense? Really? WTF?

LVPS: MR2, Matthews, Vic, Oliver, Freeman

THE UGLY

The entire Oline - embarrassing. just got whipped, looked AWFUL. This is a mess and it just got worse. what have they been doing?

The entire RUN DEFENSE - Can ANYBODY cover a RB? Looked like a whole team of Duke Rileys taking bad angles, getting caught in the wash, whiffing on tackles, stopping play..have we regressed?

The Special Teams - like you said, BLOCK THEM! This was oogly to watch.

The Coaching - Going for 2???? WHY??? Where is the screen game? Where are the shots upfield?

depressed and angry

Wardaddy has to maintain edge.  Love his effort ...its stands out when everyone else is playing grab *** but maintain the edge Takk! 

I'm a little concerned about Keanu.  Looked slow .  so did Ricardo and so does Free. 

Hoop looked good , his hands have improved but man he's a fast as molasses.

Ito needs more playtime and for goodness sake activate Hill and Quadree this week.

Overall it just feels like All hat , no cattle. 

NEW RULE: if you were on the team during the Superbowl loss you CANNOT ask for a pay raise until we win a superbowl. 

Pressure: When a QB only attempts 10 passes the entire game, pressure isn't the biggest problem.

I'll give Freeman some slack. He hasn't played in almost one year. Need to get back to game speed.

JJ11 - similar. He didn't have the entire off-season to train. He spent most of that time nursing the feet. Still he's not far off from being back to 100.

Coaching - Start with the roster. Blank said before Free Agency that the team needs to be able to run the ball and stop the run. The O-line was beefed up and need a little time to gel.

Davison is the most beef on the D-line. He and Grady has to hold it down since Senat will be inactive it seems and they did well. Grady did great. The others are Hybrid DE/DT players. I'm still waiting on that 330 - 350 d-lineman to come into the building to give a breather and man the middle.

Which leads me to the outside runs. I think Takk was confused. Quinn told him all gas no brakes. Be aggressive and look to make plays. That's not Belichick-ish as in 'Do your job'. He did settle down when it was too late but I can't help but wonder if he thought he was doing the right thing in the beginning. What happened to the speedy LBers?

Kenjon Barner looked good returning punts and on also on kick offs. I know some people complained but they also complained about Fair Catch Weems and Hardy. If you want to make something happen then you have to take chances.