Lesson from Aaron Rodgers : R-E-L-A-X

Lethal

In 2014, the Green Bay Packers started 1-2.  Through those games, GB's offense was 28th in total yards, bottom half in points, Rodgers's completion percentage was an all time low, he did not throw for even 200 yards in 2 of those 3 games and was sacked 9 times.  Green Bay Packer fans were in an uproar, lighting the team up, lighting the coach up, going scorched earth on everyone and everything prompting Rodgers to get up in front of the media and utter the five letters "R-E-L-A-X".

The Packers went on to lead the league in PPG, were top 5 in yardage per game, and finish 12-4 and first in the NFC North.

Fact of the matter is, the first week(s) of the NFL season are typically a crapshoot.  Teams aren't as good as they seem and teams aren't as bad as they seem.  Yes, this team came out and got curbstomped in Week 1 and it is always disappointing to see it when you spend your entire offseason looking forward to Week 1, but take a look around the league.  Foles, Hill, Mosley, etc...we came out relatively unscathed which is much more than what we can say about Week 1 from a year ago.  Yes, losing Lindy hurts, but he is also a rookie linemen that was going to take his lumps.  We didn't lose Matt, Julio, Debo, etc.  Fact of the matter is, it was Week 1, on the road, against a SB contender with a nasty defense, with new coordinators, Quinn taking over as coordinator, 2 rookies and 1 free agent on the oline, we had a lot working against us yesterday.  What you can hang your hat on is that talent that everyone was hyped up about prior to kickoff yesterday?  They are still there today.  We still have a talented roster.  We still have playmakers all over.  And we have Dan Quinn coaching for his career here in Atlanta.

You may all end up correct, and it may be a lost season, but there is no way to determine that after 1 week, or as Aaron and GB proved...3 weeks.  Relax.  There is too much talent here to look like that team again.  I seem to remember a team back in 2016 at home vs Tampa that looked almost as anemic and it ended up being ok.  Let it play out, y'all are gonna give yourselves ulcers!

1 minute ago, athell said:

In 2014, the Green Bay Packers started 1-2.  Through those games, GB's offense was 28th in total yards, bottom half in points, Rodgers's completion percentage was an all time low, he did not throw for even 200 yards in 2 of those 3 games and was sacked 9 times.  Green Bay Packer fans were in an uproar, lighting the team up, lighting the coach up, going scorched earth on everyone and everything prompting Rodgers to get up in front of the media and utter the five letters "R-E-L-A-X".

The Packers went on to lead the league in PPG, were top 5 in yardage per game, and finish 12-4 and first in the NFC North.

Fact of the matter is, the first week(s) of the NFL season are typically a crapshoot.  Teams aren't as good as they seem and teams aren't as bad as they seem.  Yes, this team came out and got curbstomped in Week 1 and it is always disappointing to see it when you spend your entire offseason looking forward to Week 1, but take a look around the league.  Foles, Hill, Mosley, etc...we came out relatively unscathed which is much more than what we can say about Week 1 from a year ago.  Yes, losing Lindy hurts, but he is also a rookie linemen that was going to take his lumps.  We didn't lose Matt, Julio, Debo, etc.  Fact of the matter is, it was Week 1, on the road, against a SB contender with a nasty defense, with new coordinators, Quinn taking over as coordinator, 2 rookies and 1 free agent on the oline, we had a lot working against us yesterday.  What you can hang your hat on is that talent that everyone was hyped up about prior to kickoff yesterday?  They are still there today.  We still have a talented roster.  We still have playmakers all over.  And we have Dan Quinn coaching for his career here in Atlanta.

You may all end up correct, and it may be a lost season, but there is no way to determine that after 1 week, or as Aaron and GB proved...3 weeks.  Relax.  There is too much talent here to look like that team again.  I seem to remember a team back in 2016 at home vs Tampa that looked almost as anemic and it ended up being ok.  Let it play out, y'all are gonna give yourselves ulcers!

This should be pinned. I don't know how some fans that have been watching football for 10 years or more still freak out after ONE bad game. The season is long, it was expected for us to take time to mesh especially on offense. The defense, well, that's a little more concerning to me but screw it, if Quinn can't get them to be decent he is probably out of here and we'll be better for it next year. 

Just now, socalriseup said:

Hope you're right ****. Cus I've lost alot of my excitment. Not saying its over but the hype I had has gone

You should know better as a Falcon fan than to have expectations lol

Point is, we don't know...yet.  Save your pitchforks and fire for a couple weeks and let's see where they are at that point.  :)

Just now, athell said:

You should know better as a Falcon fan than to have expectations lol

Point is, we don't know...yet.  Save your pitchforks and fire for a couple weeks and let's see where they are at that point.  :)

Yeah not a fan of the 25828153 sky is falling threads. Only really downer I've got now is lindstrom being hurt

Just now, socalriseup said:

Yeah not a fan of the 25828153 sky is falling threads. Only really downer I've got now is lindstrom being hurt

That sucks, but it's better than Matt, Julio or Free going down. Luckily our front office made it an emphasize to actually have depth at that position this year, so hopefully, we can have someone hold down the fort until he returns.

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

This should be pinned. I don't know how some fans that have been watching football for 10 years or more still freak out after ONE bad game. The season is long, it was expected for us to take time to mesh especially on offense. The defense, well, that's a little more concerning to me but screw it, if Quinn can't get them to be decent he is probably out of here and we'll be better for it next year. 

Remember when Shanny picked off Matt in the offseason going into 2016 and everyone wanted Matt AND Shanny gone?  lol...fans are reactionary and emotional, but that comes with the territory.  Just gotta try to keep things in perspective.  Losing Lindstrom is my #1 suck takeaway coming out of that game.  The other stuff?  It will be fixed.

2 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Yup.  It's not the MLB marathon of a season, and every game IS important, but it's far too early to be relegating ourselves to a top 5 pick.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Sky isn't falling but I was very surprised at how bad the Falcons were against the run.

And it's not getting any easier this week.

Good.  That's how these guys will learn.  I loved Grady's presser after the game.  If the rest of the defense feels the same, I highly doubt the result will be the same against Philly...

Sometimes it takes an *** whopping for teams to wake up.  They may have been feeling themselves a little too much going in...plus Quinn switching up his schemes, it's going to take him time to figure it out too.  Lots of moving parts going into this season.

8 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Because some fans have been watching Atlanta Falcons football and have seen the team not respond in critical moments over and over and over again.

Honestly at this point I completely understand the fans frustration. I'm frustrated. It's not like we were even competitive. The talk all offseason was that were going to beef up the OLine, get Matt some protection and be able to run the ball. How there would be a major focus on winning the TO battle. How DQ taking over the defense would allow guys to play free and be so much better. How this was the year Oliver would show he was ready to start.

The FIRST FREAKING PLAY is a sack and loss of 9 yards. Complete manhandling of our Offensive and Defensive lines. Inability to run the ball or stop the other team from running the ball. Losing the TO battle 4 to 0. Defensive lapses all across the board. Oliver getting owned play after play.

At some point you have to stop blaming fans and start blaming the team.

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

Just now, athell said:

Good.  That's how these guys will learn.  I loved Grady's presser after the game.  If the rest of the defense feels the same, I highly doubt the result will be the same against Philly...

Sometimes it takes an *** whopping for teams to wake up.  They may have been feeling themselves a little too much going in...plus Quinn switching up his schemes, it's going to take him time to figure it out too.  Lots of moving parts going into this season.

Not arguing but my response to this is 'Why?'

They did nothing last season to let them think that and I REALLY hope they didn't get over-confident from the pre-season.

Switching up schemes on the defensive front.... AND 3 new starters on the oline.   Yeah it's going to take time for that.  And it's time Quinn doesn't necessarily have. 

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Because some fans have been watching Atlanta Falcons football and have seen the team not respond in critical moments over and over and over again.

Honestly at this point I completely understand the fans frustration. I'm frustrated. It's not like we were even competitive. The talk all offseason was that were going to need up the OLine, get Matt some protection and be able to run the ball. How there would be a major focus on winning the TO battle. How DQ taking over the defense would allow guys to play free and be so much better. How this was the year Oliver would show he was ready to start.

The FIRST FREAKING PLAY is a sack and loss of 9 yards. Complete manhandling of our Offensive and Defensive lines. Inability to run the ball or stop the other team from running the ball. Losing the TO battle 4 to 0. Defensive lapses all across the board. Oliver getting owned play after play.

At some point you have to stop blaming fans and start blaming the team.

To be fair, I'm not blaming fans.  They have every right to be upset.  But this burn it down mentality here and forgetting that just days before most of these people were puffing their chests out over this being a SB roster and now freaking out and giving up on our season after 1 game, with all the things noted, is a little silly.  At least to me.  Give it a few weeks.

Have said it numerous times, everything that went wrong can be fixed, easily. At the end of the day all the preparation in the world only goes so far. The players have to actually execute. There were several times the guys were in the right spot but they couldn't finish the deal on defense. Offensively, the line just got manhandled by the best freakin defensive line in the league. They have to play better plain and simple, especially if they're thinking January football because they're going to see these same teams if they make it to the playoffs. Execution is what it boils down to

10 minutes ago, athell said:

I seem to remember a team back in 2016 at home vs Tampa that looked almost as anemic and it ended up being ok.  Let it play out, y'all are gonna give yourselves ulcers!

This season may be just fine but the 2016 game against the Bucs was not an anemic Falcons performance. The Falcons had a 10-3 lead after the 1st quarter and Matt Ryan was 27-39 for 334 yards and 2/0. The Falcons didn't get run on and didn't really get smoked that badly in pass defense. They just fell victim to Jameis Winston playing like Super Bowl Joe Flacco and making impossible throws look easy. 

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Not arguing but my response to this is 'Why?'

They did nothing last season to let them think that and I REALLY hope they didn't get over-confident from the pre-season.

Switching up schemes on the defensive front.... AND 3 new starters on the oline.   Yeah it's going to take time for that.  And it's time Quinn doesn't necessarily have. 

More than a few players publicly stated how the team was getting disrespected and overlooked, namely Hoop and Debo...I think there was one more as well...I think they went into the game thinking that things were just going to click and they were going to prove everyone wrong.  Only problem is, football don't work like that.  There are 11 dudes opposite you that want to end your day just as bad.  

Your last sentence is it though...I hope Quinn and co. realize the urgency of the (their) situation.

12 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Because we’re falcons fans and it’s gotten old and who da **** wants to wait til next year?

3 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

This season may be just fine but the 2016 game against the Bucs was not an anemic Falcons performance. The Falcons had a 10-3 lead after the 1st quarter and Matt Ryan was 27-39 for 334 yards and 2/0. The Falcons didn't get run on and didn't really get smoked that badly in pass defense. They just fell victim to Jameis Winston playing like Super Bowl Joe Flacco and making impossible throws look easy. 

It was pretty bad considering the talent of the Bucs.  You compare that Bucs team to this Vikings team and it's no comparison.

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Have said it numerous times, everything that went wrong can be fixed, easily. At the end of the day all the preparation in the world only goes so far. The players have to actually execute. There were several times the guys were in the right spot but they couldn't finish the deal on defense. Offensively, the line just got manhandled by the best freakin defensive line in the league. They have to play better plain and simple, especially if they're thinking January football because they're going to see these same teams if they make it to the playoffs. Execution is what it boils down to

Yup.

One positive thing is the Oline got better as the game went on IMO.

Still some things to clean up for sure but it got better as it went along.

It has been said numerous times over the last couple of days in various forms, but

The Falcons did not just lose a game to the Vikings that can be overlooked or forgotten or attributed to luck, they absolutely beat themselves and allowed the Vikings to compound that.

We were supposed to be better this year in multiple places, but I challenge anyone to name places where this team was better yesterday.  If we had lost 30-24 and could attribute this loss to luck, nobody would be worried about it.  But, we looked terrible.