When I heard DQ say this, I knew we were in trouble...

Last week, while the Falcons were preparing for their season opener, I heard a Quinn interview with Carl Dukes and Mike Bell on 92.9 the Game.

When asked how the staff was coaching up the team to make another Super Bowl run, Quinn said they needed to learn to play with "Poise in the Noise", explaining they had to execute without distraction in the heat of the battle.

You could almost hear the eye roll from Carl Dukes...like, really man, that's all you got?

Should we really be surprised the team then goes out and lays an egg on Sunday?

I think the main reasons the team laid an egg are:

1) New OC, new OL, new special teams coach, unsettled kicking situation, barely any reps from Free or Julio.  They weren't in sync.

AND

2) The Vikings are better than the Falcons, particularly because of the Vikings run game and DST.

Had nothing to do with noise.

1 hour ago, DogIsYourName said:

I think the main reasons the team laid an egg are:

1) New OC, new OL, new special teams coach, unsettled kicking situation, barely any reps from Free or Julio.  They weren't in sync.

AND

2) The Vikings are better than the Falcons, particularly because of the Vikings run game and DST.

Had nothing to do with noise.

The Falcons organization shouldn't need 6 preseason games to get in sync.

Honestly the only thing that bothers me about the whole game is that we went for 2 after both scores. It either means Quinn is clueless because even if we hit them both we would have still needed 2 TDs, which makes attempting them in the first place pointless or something is already wrong with Bryant. So is Bryant old and hurt? Is Quinn an idiot? It has to be one of the two.

Edited by LouDog
11 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

The Falcons organization don't need 6 preseason games to get in sync, but the actual players probably do need some game time to get use to game time speed.  D Freeman only had 3 attempts this preseason  (in 2 games), Julio had 0 preseason experience, Sanu had 4 preseason targets, Ridley had 4 targets, and Hooper had the most work out of any starting skill player outside of M Ryan.    Seems like every year we just about start off on the wrong foot and I think it really does take a few games to really get back to regular season form.  Too bad we can't utilize the preseason to shake out some of the cobwebs and instead have to do it during the regular season.  This team was clearly not ready to play yesterday.  

Edited by dawgsjw
9 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Honestly the only thing that bothers me about the whole game is that we went for 2 after both scores. It either means Quinn is clueless because even if we hit them both we would have still needed 2 TDs, which makes attempting them in the first place pointless or something is already wrong with Bryant. So is Bryant old and hurt? Is Quinn an idiot? It has to be one of the two.

I didn't get the impression that anything was wrong with Bryant....it seemed to be a desperate DQ.

6 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

I didn't get the impression that anything was wrong with Bryant....it seemed to be a desperate DQ.

But what was there to gain? If we hit both the score would be 28 to 16. We would have still needed 2 TDs before the game was up. We had nothing to gain by going for 2 that early and everything to lose.

Edited by LouDog
39 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Even though I was one of the leading proponents in hiring Quinn I have been more than a little disappointed in him lately. He's starting to remind me a good bit of Mora...I think he's too close to many of his and Dimitroff's "pet projects" to seriously and honestly evaluate them as effective football players.

i was just saying this exact same thing the other day. Yesterday made me believe i was correct for sure

39 minutes ago, LouDog said:

DQ still doesn’t know how to manage a game. I actually blame Bob Sutton who is supposed to manage the game. DQ is too busy calling the D.

23 minutes ago, LouDog said:

But what was there to gain? If we hit both the score would be 28 to 16. We would have still needed 2 TDs before the game was up. We had nothing to gain by going for 2 that early and everything to lose.

I can't figure this out either. Once it's 28-0 (and god, I was SO sure at one point we were going to lose that game 28-3 just because ... well, because it's the Falcons), you HAVE to score four touchdowns. Even if you somehow converted the 2 on THREE consecutive touchdowns, you'd be at 24, and a field goal still does you no good - you'd lose 28-27. I suppose if you're at 24, then two field goals can win you the game rather than needing another touchdown ... but how likely to even get that many possessions when you're down four scores in the second half? 

If someone can explain it to me, I'll gladly eat crow on this - I'd rather realize I'm wrong than think this is yet another way Quinn can't make logical calls within a game.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

DQ still doesn’t know how to manage a game. I actually blame Bob Sutton who is supposed to manage the game. DQ is too busy calling the D.

If it was just game management it would be easier to accept. He made a crucial decision that had zero benefit to the team.

34 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Just bad coaching Dog. He said it was on his sheet. Did Zimmer loan him a sheet? 

38 minutes ago, LouDog said:

It's marginally better to go for two in most situations where you're trailing by more than 14. We didnt lose anything by going for two in those situations. 

But by then the die was cast, for sure. There wasnt enough time for the margin to be beneficial. 

1 hour ago, GhostofGritz said:

Even though I was one of the leading proponents in hiring Quinn I have been more than a little disappointed in him lately. He's starting to remind me a good bit of Mora...I think he's too close to many of his and Dimitroff's "pet projects" to seriously and honestly evaluate them as effective football players.

Bro I swear I thought about you yesterday when I was watching that bush it. I thought "I wonder what Gritz would charge to draw an avatar of me driving Dimi and Quinn out to the state line in a big red and black TATF bus". True story.

18 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

It's marginally better to go for two in most situations where you're trailing by more than 14. We didnt lose anything by going for two in those situations. 

But by then the die was cast, for sure. There wasnt enough time for the margin to be beneficial. 

Yeah we did. By missing them we made it where had we scored more we would have had to go for two and make it the rest of the game.

1 hour ago, LouDog said:

Or maybe Quinn thought we didn't really have a shot at winning this game, and wanted to get some real game situation practice with 2 PT conversions. Or maybe he went for it the first time because he wanted to try and get the win with 3 more TDs...who knows, any of them are possible. 

1 hour ago, LouDog said:

Or a touchdown and two field goals would put you at 29. I can see why they attempted the first one at least.

1 hour ago, LouDog said:

He was trying to make the game a little closer looking than it was.

1 hour ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

I think posters are misunderstanding you--or maybe I am.

I read that as: "After 5 preseason games, if we have to rely on the players-not-in-synch excuse for the loss, something is wrong with our approach"

(Or maybe that's just how I feel)

2 hours ago, LouDog said:

Or it means you're down by 3 TDs with less than a QTR to go in a game you're obviously not gonna win.  Why not give it a shot?